toldailytopic: Should I stay or should I go? If states begin to secede from the Union

IMJerusha

Puritans didn't, and they were intolerant prigs who detested the concept of "live free or die." Get your history straight.

I do beg your pardon, but I'm fairly certain I have my history straight.
1620 -- Plymouth was settled by "separating Puritans", those who wanted to retain their English identity yet worship God as they felt was true and correct. From thence the Puritan Great Migration from 1630-1640 began to escape the religious and political corruption in the Church of England. In 1639, a constitution was drafted by New England Puritans to affirm their faith in God and announce their intention to establish a Christian nation. Those Puritan fathers were the epitome of "live free or die". Frank Lambert, an author for the Princeton University Press, stated: "While the Puritan Fathers gave us the symbols of America as haven of religious freedom and America as a Christian Nation, the Founding Fathers provided enduring legacies that define the place and role of religion in American society." Seven of the descendants of these Puritans became Founding Fathers; delegates to the Constitutional Convention.

Granite

Hall of Fame
1620 -- Plymouth was settled by "separating Puritans", those who wanted to retain their English identity yet worship God as they felt was true and correct. From thence the Puritan Great Migration from 1630-1640 began to escape the religious and political corruption in the Church of England. In 1639, a constitution was drafted by New England Puritans to affirm their faith in God and announce their intention to establish a Christian nation. Those Puritan fathers were the epitome of "live free or die". Frank Lambert, an author for the Princeton University Press, stated: "While the Puritan Fathers gave us the symbols of America as haven of religious freedom and America as a Christian Nation, the Founding Fathers provided enduring legacies that define the place and role of religion in American society." Seven of the descendants of these Puritans became Founding Fathers; delegates to the Constitutional Convention.

The Puritains shunned, expelled, crushed, or hanged those who challenged the regime. Made Calvin's Geneva look like Reno. You enjoyed certain privileges if you were a good Puritan, sure, but that's no different from the perks enjoyed by a party member in North Korea.

IMJerusha

The Puritains shunned, expelled, crushed, or hanged those who challenged the regime. Made Calvin's Geneva look like Reno. You enjoyed certain privileges if you were a good Puritan, sure, but that's no different from the perks enjoyed by a party member in North Korea.

:sigh:
I do believe I posted "separating Puritans." The history remains.

It makes sense that if a people go to the trouble to establish a country, their established laws should apply in that country, you know, laws by the people for the people. Gee, that sounds familiar.

Daedalean's_Sun

No state is going to secede. It's all empty threats. There is no legal way to leave the Union, and so the only other way would be through a second civil war and nobody wants that.

Daedalean's_Sun

And yet under the Puritans there was no freedom of religion. You were either a puritan or you were a heretic. They escaped a corrupt theocratic government only to create another one.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
This started in response to Granite's typically ill-informed and snarky post:
That's American style for you, folks. When things don't break your way just take your ball, go home, and don't even bother trying to get along. Just leave.

You mean like the Puritans who left England?

Or were you referring to the Founding Fathers who took their ball and broke away from the king?

Or perhaps the Confederate States?

Yes, the Puritans did leave England.

If you guys want to argue whether the Puritans were fuzzy bunnies or wolverines with toothaches, start another thread