toldailytopic: Shooting at the Arizona Safeway. How could we help prevent tragic even

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 10th, 2011 11:25 AM

toldailytopic: Shooting at the Arizona Safeway. How could we help prevent tragic events such as these?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

This Charming Manc

I'll open up just by saying anything we do to make any other such events less likley will mean someone somewhere will loose some rights.

I'd would argue for much tighter gun control, because the altrenative is tighter people control, which to my mind is a greater price to pay.

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 10th, 2011 11:25 AM

toldailytopic: Shooting at the Arizona Safeway. How could we help prevent tragic events such as these?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

genuineoriginal

Pass a law that requires that all citizens twenty years old and upward must carry a loaded firearm and at least 20 rounds of amunition whenever they are not in their home. This solution will make for a safer and freer country.

Wunderhund

Unfortunately these types of things cannot be prevented. Rather than tighter gun control, maybe more funds should be put into security details for members of congress and senate making public appearances.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How about doing intervention on people like the shooter? He is obviously mentally disturbed.

I do like the idea of training law abiding sane citizens in the use of firearms. It would discourage crackpots like the shooter. In the same scenario he would have gotten shot by a protective citizen before he killed innocent people.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Pass a law that requires that all citizens twenty years old and upward must carry a loaded firearm and at least 20 rounds of amunition whenever they are not in their home. This solution will make for a safer and freer country.

Coupled with extensive range and safety instruction. The only thing worse than a criminal with a gun is anyone else with one and no real idea how to actually use it.

Squishes

"You know what would make everyone freer? If we forced everyone to carry guns on them, even if they don't want to."

Really?

Nydhogg

As long as I can carry a revolver, I'm fine with it.
I don't like handguns. They're clunky and they sometimes jam.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
:thumb:

WizardofOz

That is quite possibly the worst idea I've heard in....well, since I woke up today anyway.

Maybe if he didnt have access to a gun, its much harder to bludgeon 6 people to death.

Unfortunately gun laws don't hinder the black market all that much.

Nydhogg

I thought revolvers were handguns. I am assuming you don't like semi-automatics.
I did not specify what type of firearm, so it could be any of the types listed in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm

That's what I mean. I don't like pistols. I like revolvers better. They shoot less rounds, but are overall easier to maintain, mechanically simpler and more reliable.

I thought you meant 20 rounds as in "a firearm with a 20 round capacity", which pretty much would limit us to commie Tokarev pistols and assault rifles (which are cool to use in a revolution, but uncomfortable to lug around all day).

I like the mandatory gun carry idea.

Unfortunately gun laws don't hinder the black market all that much.

Actually they do, when it's coupled with social change that makes ownership of guns a taboo. I think I only know one person who owns a gun, for hunting. If you take this argument ad absurdium then you can legalise anything, such as carrying firearms onto planes, or having abortions, or etc. The idea that 'someone, somewhere, might break the law' is sufficient to legalise it, then why have any laws to start off with?

Shootings of this scale are far rarer in countries with tighter gun legislation. In the UK, 0.17 people per 100,000 die from being shot, with a murder rate of 1.28/100,000 overall. Knife crime accounts for the highest category of weapons leading to fatalities. In the US, there is a murder rate of 5.0/100,000 with firearms being the main cause of death.

The UK has probably the strictest gun crime laws in the world, and there is a link between gun crime and murders.

The most recent attempted assassination was when an MP was stabbed last year. The MP survived and no one else was injured. Before that, the only thing I can think of is the Grand Hotel Bombing, Brighton, in which 5 people died.

This is not to say of course, that the UK is perfect, which it definitely isn't. It has one of the highest crime rates in the EU. However, gun crime is mercifully low.

I would rather go to prison than own a firearm. Particularly one to be carried in public.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
What can we do? First thing is to pledge to stop voting for any politician amoral enough to demonize or advocate (even symbolically) violence against, a political opponent.

Yes, that means Palin and also a host others, including democrats and republicans.

The "consultants" who actually run political campaigns these days, have found that hatred and implied violence are efficient ways of winning elections. And the consultants are now telling congressmen how to vote on legislation, based on how it fits their campaign strategy.

If we reward them for putting cross-hairs on people they don't like, more of this will happen. That's the way it works. If we stop voting for anyone who spreads hatred then they will stop.

Simple as that.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Shootings happen everyday, all around our world.

First follow then preach the Prince of Peace and condemn violence, but realize that it will not end until every knee bows before Lord Jesus and his kingdom. Then we will trade in our weapons for rototillers.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned

Michelle Malkin wrote a fantastic article on her blog entitled:

The progressive climate of hate: A comprehensive illustrated primer in 8 parts:

I. PALIN HATE
II. BUSH HATE
III. MISC. TEA PARTY/GOP/ANTI-TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE HATE
IV. ANTI-CONSERVATIVE FEMALE HATE
V. LEFT-WING MOB HATE — campus, anti-war radicals, ACORN, eco-extremists, & unions
VI. OPEN-BORDERS HATE
VII. ANTI-MILITARY HATE
VIII. HATE: CRIMES — the ever-growing Unhinged Mugshot Collection

http://michellemalkin.com/2011/01/1...mate-of-hate-an-illustrated-primer-2000-2010/

In another blog I described the article by saying "It's the Mona Lisa of the conservative movement. When it comes to exposing the Left for their blatant hypocrisy on this subject alone (volumes could be filled when it comes to the general hypocrisy of the Left), it just doesn't get any better."

How can we prevent tragic events like this in the future? Put the progressives where they belong: in mental institutions.

83137110.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.