toldailytopic: Safety or freedom: which do you value more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 6th, 2011 10:50 AM

toldailytopic: Safety or freedom: which do you value more?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You can't have safety without freedom, so I guess I don't get the question.

elohiym

I'd rather be God's slave than subject to his wrath. Therefore, in the most important sense, I value true safety more than illusory freedom. However, when it comes to our perceived mortal existence, I choose liberty over slavery for safety's sake.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Freedom, hands down. Now somebody get on that Franklin quote so we have it out of the way.:cool:

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic:
Safety or freedom: which do you value more?

Safety? I may continue to wonder am I safe?

Freedom? I may ask myself could this end?

Still I choose freedom.​

Seydlitz77

True safety is only possible when freedom is preserved and true freedom is only possible when law is preserved.

I choose Freedom :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Why can't you have safety without freedom? Prisoners in solitary confinement are extremely safe.

Yep. It's a balancing act though, since absolute freedom is just survival of the fittest--not exactly in the best interest of most U.S. citizens as we move toward 2020...I mean as we lumber or crawl toward it, depending. Mark me down for the advancement of our social compact, where the two are balanced against one another. :thumb:

Live safe or diet!

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Yep. It's a balancing act though, since absolute freedom is just survival of the fittest--not exactly in the best interest of most U.S. citizens as we move toward 2020...I mean as we lumber or crawl toward it, depending. Mark me down for the advancement of our social compact, where the two are balanced against one another. :thumb:

Live safe or diet!

can you answer the question?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Live safe or diet!
I don't think it's an exact balance, do you?

I value safety but with freedom I can create a degree of safety on my own (being free to protect myself and my family).

Therefore, I believe freedom is a far more important thing to have. I believe God agrees. Which is why He grants us freedom even knowing that we will hurt one another. God could step in at every moment and prevent us from falling or prevent us from hurting one another but He doesn't. Why not? Because God knows that being free and being our own persons is a far more valuable quality than being safe.

Similarly, I believe that a righteous government would place more emphasis on freedom than on making sure we never hurt one another.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't think it's an exact balance, do you?
No. I think we lean toward freedom and skirt the edges of the unsafe. Sometimes we fall off. Sometimes we smother. It's a work in progress.

I value safety but with freedom I can create a degree of safety on my own (being free to protect myself and my family).
Yeah, but in the hands of the wrong person that's just a recipe for a very nasty jungle.

Therefore, I believe freedom is a far more important thing to have. I believe God agrees. Which is why He grants us freedom even knowing that we will hurt one another.
Except that freedom came and comes with a host of laws/restrictions and suggestions. Those all go to our betterment, which can be viewed as the ultimate safety concern as well.

God could step in at every moment and prevent us from falling or prevent us from hurting one another but He doesn't. Why not? Because God knows that being free and being our own persons is a far more valuable quality than being safe.
I'll differ with that interpretation and suggest He doesn't because without our ability to make choices our relation would be illusory. That is, if God desires an object upon which to express His nature and part of that nature is love, we're rather what you have to have in play.

Similarly, I believe that a righteous government would place more emphasis on freedom than on making sure we never hurt one another.
Thou shalt not murder...covet...what you do for the least of these...I don't know, Knight. To my mind He seemed and seems mostly concerned (after the matter of salvation) with how we treat one another. The use of freedom to harm is disobedient and contrary to the mercy He extends and extols in practice. So I'd say at best its a wash, that freedom isn't more valued, only integral to being; and that safety, which carries with it our happiness in form and function, is at least the equal of that necessary methodology.

Status
Not open for further replies.