toldailytopic: Occupy Wall Street calls for a general boycott on May Day (May 1st). W

some other dude

Oh here goes Barney again with his individual responsibility rap. It's best to ignore his tired blather.

Individual responsibility just scares the bejeebers out of you doesn't it? :chuckle:

Grow up. Stop your whining and actually accomplish something with your miserable existence.

It's funny how many people on this board failed history class.

In the book that I have been reading called "Cod: a biography of the fish that changed the world" by Mark Kurlansky there are interesting points where new england sea trading rights are analyzed. Tea might not actually be the best example of something grown on american soil, it did not grow especially well here anyway, but that is the popular one everyone remembers. You had to go to the crown's chosen markets to actually buy clothing, tobacco, stamps, etc. and fishing rights were under scrutiny even after the revolutionary war on our own shores.

The English did a fine job of giving the east india company tax breaks or refunds so it would monopolize in that trade over others like the dutch traders etc. using undercutting of price (like wall mart) as one of the actual methods besides the criminalization of other foreign goods.

So essentially the original tea-partyers were rebelling against a tax break for a corporation. I think another very good example according to what I'm reading might be the cod/rum trade between new england and the west indies. The 1733 Molasses act and 1740 sugar act were put into place I believe to attempt to make the west indian sugar/molasses more expensive than the English goods. undercutting, there you have it, walmart in action. Of course the people of new england always new how to get around that with better routes of contraband.

eameece

I tortured 125 kids today with trig identities. :devil:

What did you do besides whine about how unfair life is?

Since when would I ever dream of telling YOU what I did today?
:dizzy:

Since when was I talking about "life"?

Republican ideology does not equal "life," you silly dinosaur.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
You can't grow a business when one weed takes over and strangles the market and pushes everyone else out.

? Again, walmart started as a little tiny shop in arkansas, went to other little towns in arkansas and kept growing. Sam Walton grew his business from a little tiny main street shop to many stores.

eameece

? Again, walmart started as a little tiny shop in arkansas, went to other little towns in arkansas and kept growing. Sam Walton grew his business from a little tiny main street shop to many stores.

It is unfortunate that he was allowed to do that, but that doesn't make it right for America.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
They would work if they could find jobs. They can't find jobs because of your Republican policies over the last 31 years.

You're a moron. I'm not republican and if i was, im not old enough to be voting for 31 years either.

There are loads of jobs, maybe not always what someone wants, but jobs nonetheless, and they sure wont get a job sitting whining on their backside making a mess for someone else to clean up.

They could even get a job on the clean up crew of their friends mess ...

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
It is unfortunate that he was allowed to do that, but that doesn't make it right for America.

Yea, it is a real shame that any citizen should build something better for themselves with their bare hands without government oversight or intrusion. How unAmerican...

What a stupid thing to say eameece...:Commie:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

You first whine that others are not allowed their main street shops and growing their own business then when its pointed out to you that its exactly what wal mart did, you said its unfortunate?

Are you nuts?

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
You first whine that others are not allowed their main street shops and growing their own business then when its pointed out to you that its exactly what wal mart did, you said its unfortunate?

Are you nuts?

Close...Liberalism is a mental disorder after all.

some other dude

Apparently eemee wants little stores on main street to remain little stores on main street.

I remember shopping at a little shoe store on main street in the small town we'd vacation near every summer when I was a kid. Mom would take us down there at the end of August to buy new shoes for the upcoming school year.

IIRC, they had three or four choices for sneakers and maybe eight or ten choices for leather shoes.