toldailytopic: Occupy Wall Street calls for a general boycott on May Day (May 1st). W

some other dude

good for them they made out like bandits. the only way you could start a dept. store is to pay your employees even less than walmart and hire even cheaper poor people. How beautifully ethical. Prrraaaaisse the Lord.

Dude, what's stopping you from starting your own store and paying your employees whatever you want? I know, why not pay them whatever they ask for? Wouldn't that be the fairest way to handle it? And let them decide how many hours they wanted to work, or whether or not to come in if they didn't want to?

What's stopping you?

Dude, what's stopping you from starting your own store and paying your employees whatever you want? I know, why not pay them whatever they ask for? Wouldn't that be the fairest way to handle it? And let them decide how many hours they wanted to work, or whether or not to come in if they didn't want to?

What's stopping you?

First of all sod, I actually find the whole idea of dept. stores to be disgusting and rather economically unethical. So I would bust up all the dept. store into respective trades and specialty shops as it truly should be. You want a shoes? There is a quality shoe maker down the street who does nothing but handmake fine leather shoes. You want garden tools? There are fine specializers in that. You want food? Let's even bust up the whole idea of food markets into specialty stores so as to give everyone a chance.

Fifteen grand a year and you think they'll have to live out of their car?

Why?

cause that's about all it pays for if you do the math. what planet you comin' from bud
Do you pay heating bills in the state you live in?

let's break it down sod. List a year's expenses on that income and I'll determine if your realistic.

Fifteen grand a year and you think they'll have to live out of their car?

Why?

Ok genius where's the list already. Here I'll do it for you, here is what you can afford with 15 grand -

(drum roll please) a 1991 ford taurus with a engine that sounds like a washing machine!

neeext up: a goth college kid for a roommate who stays up all night making screeching noises on the guitar and doesn't pay his share!

alright! and finally, don't even think about having kids. You can't afford it. keep it all in the barnyard folks or put some rubber on it. the all american dream? uh no. don't think so. more like the all-american pipe dream for you. good luck buying groceries. (ramen time) wink wink

some other dude

First of all sod, I actually find the whole idea of dept. stores to be disgusting and rather economically unethical. So I would bust up all the dept. store into respective trades and specialty shops as it truly should be. You want a shoes? There is a quality shoe maker down the street who does nothing but handmake fine leather shoes.

I don't want fine leather shoes :idunno:

Let's even bust up the whole idea of food markets into specialty stores so as to give everyone a chance.

How? You're only going to let people sell what they produce?

So if I want a salad, I have to go to the lettuce grower's stand and the tomato grower's stand and the radish grower's stand and the celery grower's stand and the salad dressing grower's stand...?

Maybe they could bring all their goods together in a single place so I wouldn't have to do all that running around? But that would take them away from their fields.

:idea: Or maybe they could sell to somebody who would take their produce to a single place where I could buy it!

Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
good for them they made out like bandits. the only way you could start a dept. store is to pay your employees even less than walmart and hire even cheaper poor people. How beautifully ethical. Prrraaaaisse the Lord.

Actually walmart in its earlier years paid their employees wayy more than other retailers by a long shot, and many of them are millionaires now because they offer them stock and profit sharing too. They also promote from within. I know a good many people who have made out quite well from walmart, so sorry, you wont be able to snow me.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
First of all sod, I actually find the whole idea of dept. stores to be disgusting and rather economically unethical. So I would bust up all the dept. store into respective trades and specialty shops as it truly should be. You want a shoes? There is a quality shoe maker down the street who does nothing but handmake fine leather shoes. You want garden tools? There are fine specializers in that. You want food? Let's even bust up the whole idea of food markets into specialty stores so as to give everyone a chance.

Wal mart was a tiny little single store to start with, everyone else has the same chance.

I don't want fine leather shoes :idunno:

fine, keep the crummy shoes that fall apart after 3 months. I certainly don't believe you'd really like that.

Maybe they could bring all their goods together in a single place so I wouldn't have to do all that running around? But that would take them away from their fields.

:idea: Or maybe they could sell to somebody who would take their produce to a single place where I could buy it!

So with this post are you antagonizing the idea of the farmer's market? You love middle-men huh. then it can all conglomerate into one big monstrous thing that can go public and can make all those lazy people in suits who don't actually farm tons of money. Yay for all the possibilities of corruption your idea entails.

some other dude

Ok genius where's the list already. Here I'll do it for you, here is what you can afford with 15 grand -

(drum roll please) a 1991 ford taurus with a engine that sounds like a washing machine!

Lose the car. You don't need it, you don't need to pay for repairs, you don't need to pay insurance. Ride the bus.

neeext up: a goth college kid for a roommate who stays up all night making screeching noises on the guitar and doesn't pay his share!

So quit being an idiot and get a better roommate.

alright! and finally, don't even think about having kids.

If you can't afford it? Darn straight. Else, be prepared to sacrifice even more.

the all american dream?

Which dream was that? The pipe dream where everything is handed to you without working for it?

Or the old fashioned one where you sweated, sacrificed and suffered before you got to relax and enjoy the good life?

Actually walmart in its earlier years paid their employees wayy more than other retailers by a long shot, and many of them are millionaires now because they offer them stock and profit sharing too. They also promote from within. I know a good many people who have made out quite well from walmart, so sorry, you wont be able to snow me.

oh I am so happy for those people. wow. your argument is fantastic. those people sure are well off. gee, if they only paid whatever they paid in their earlier years! but the fact that they once paid well in their earlier years certainly does make all the difference in this argument!

NOT lol

Lose the car. You don't need it, you don't need to pay for repairs, you don't need to pay insurance. Ride the bus.

So quit being an idiot and get a better roommate.

If you can't afford it? Darn straight. Else, be prepared to sacrifice even more.

Which dream was that? The pipe dream where everything is handed to you without working for it?

Or the old fashioned one where you sweated, sacrificed and suffered before you got to relax and enjoy the good life?

hey sod. Let em' eat cake ok? Let em eat cake.

One Eyed Jack

I got a 2001 Mercury Sable (essentially the exact same car) for 12.

Is this your roommate, or your boyfriend? In any case, I suggest you throw him out.

alright! and finally, don't even think about having kids. You can't afford it. keep it all in the barnyard folks or put some rubber on it. the all american dream? uh no. don't think so. more like the all-american pipe dream for you. good luck buying groceries. (ramen time) wink wink

Steak-umm's are great with ramen noodles. Just fry a couple up, chop them to pieces, and mix them in with the noodles. It's surprisingly good.