toldailytopic: Obama's new openly pro-same-sex-marriage stance: will it help or hurt

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 10th, 2012 08:41 AM

toldailytopic: Obama's new openly pro-same-sex-marriage stance: will it help or hurt his re-election chances?

Rainbow-Obama.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Obviously this announcement doesn't come as a surprise for any of us that pay any attention to politics. Obama is, and always has been, a stanch homosexual advocate his entire life. But will coming out of the closet (so to speak) play well with voters and the general population?

Granite

Hall of Fame
I don't think it really changes much. I have to believe everyone pretty much assumed this is what he thought anyway.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't think it really changes much. I have to believe everyone pretty much assumed this is what he thought anyway.
You would think that right?

But I find that your "average Joe" pays very little attention to politics. I still know some people who think Obama is doing a good job in office. :doh:

Granite

Hall of Fame
You would think that right?

But I find that your "average Joe" pays very little attention to politics. I still know some people who think Obama is doing a good job in office. :doh:

Agreed, but Republicans already hate the guy or at least oppose him at every turn, and Democrats aren't going to vote for Romney. This may galvanize the party bases for a little while but this election's going to be driven largely by the economy, not social issues. For independents who keep an eye on politics, this "announcement" doesn't amount to much...kinda like a "tell us something we don't already know" moment.

The issue forces Romney's hand and is a relatively low-risk move for the president. (The electoral map favors him now and he can afford to, say, lose a state like North Carolina and still be in good shape for re-election.) Romney will be under even more pressure to demonstrate conservative bona fides (I know, I know, I could barely write that). I think focus on the issue hurts him more than Obama, only because this is yet another issue where Romney's inconsistent track record will come back to haunt him.

ICameBack

I think this will have the biggest impact on African American Christian voters. I listened to a local Praise FM station last night and this morning and it was a huge topic (and amazing Gospel music!!). Some are torn some have outright changed their minds. Almost all said they disagree with him on this stance. Many that did say they disagree with him and are unhappy about it but don't think it will change their stance. We shall see.

Last edited:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Obviously this announcement doesn't come as a surprise for any of us that pay any attention to politics. Obama is, and always has been, a stanch homosexual advocate his entire life. But will coming out of the closet (so to speak) play well with voters and the general population?

He sure hopes so. He will do whatever it takes not be dragged, kicking and screaming, from the White House.

Not that this is a surprise. Obama revels in perversion.

We cannot expect more from a man who thinks of abortion as a gift from God and pregnancy as an illness and a punishment.

Buzzword

My favorite reaction to the announcement came from a high school friend on Facebook:

"What? You mean the president everyone thought supports gay marriage, whom conservatives accused of supporting gay marriage, and is on the political side that supports gay marriage, ACTUALLY supports gay marriage? ALERT THE INTERNET!!!!!!!"

The people who were supporting Obama are going to continue to support him in spite of (or because they weren't surprised by) the announcement, and the people who were opposing Obama are going to continue to oppose him even if he had never made the announcement.

Moving on to a more relevant topic....

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Since when do unicorns and rainbows belong to the fags? :madmad:

DaSoji1

I think people should stop putting words into President Barack Obama's mouth and listen to what he really said. I was also guilty of this for a moment.

"It's important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married." ~President Barack Obama

This does not translate into:

"I support same sex marriage."

It means he supports peoples' God given freedom to do what they want to do. Getting married to someone of the same sex included. He supports equal rights for all.

It does not mean he approves of the decision to marry someone of the same sex.

Listen to what he says. He mentions that the word "marriage" for many people has a great religious meaning. But for many more, it is just a word and can describe the joining of anything. Obama said he recognized why the difference in semantics mattered, thanks to his close gay and lesbian friends and colleagues.

God is still absolute and so is His union, between man and woman. President Barack Obama knows the importance of this union, and he stated that in an earlier interview.

“What I believe is that marriage is between a man and a woman … What I believe, in my faith, is that a man and a woman, when they get married, are performing something before God, and it’s not simply the two persons who are meeting,”

As a Christian, I also think same sex couples should be able to get married. It is their God given right to exercise that free choice. But that doesn't mean I support their decision to marry someone of the same sex.

This will have an effect on the election, but I don't believe it hurts the President.

This concludes my view on this matter. *Peace

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Where does one send money for Obama's campaign? Can you provide a link?

No link, but it's easy!

I will tell you how...ready?

Walk outside right now and search for the following:

a half Polynesian/half hispanic woman is good, but any minority that came into this country illegally will do...now pick one

with only one leg,

who refuses to work, even though she is perfectly capable of working,

who has had 15 abortions because she believes that most pregnancies are a mistake and that unborn children are an illness,

who has now proclaimed that she is, in fact, a lesbian and always has been even though she didn't know it,

and who is addicted to crack cocaine or another hardcore drug.

And then, once you have located such a person, go ahead and take out your check book and write a check for all the money you've ever earned legally and honestly. Now hand that check to the person you've located.

(You may have to drive her to the bank, buy her a free lunch on the way, and take her to the grocery store after so she can use her food stamps for supper.)

That's the Obama way. :thumb:

Granite

Hall of Fame
No link, but it's easy!

I will tell you how...ready?

Walk outside right now and search for the following:

a half Polynesian/half hispanic woman is good, but any minority that came into this country illegally will do...now pick one

with only one leg,

who refuses to work, even though she is perfectly capable of working,

who has had 15 abortions because she believes that most pregnancies are a mistake and that unborn children are an illness,

who has now proclaimed that she is, in fact, a lesbian and always has been even though she didn't know it,

and who is addicted to crack cocaine or another hardcore drug.

And then, once you have located such a person, go ahead and take out your check book and write a check for all the money you've ever earned legally and honestly. Now hand that check to the person you've located.

(You may have to drive her to the bank, buy her a free lunch on the way, and take her to the grocery store after so she can use her food stamps for supper.)

That's the Obama way. :thumb:

Can you talk about the guy without sounding like a complete and utter lunatic?:think:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Can you talk about the guy without sounding like a complete and utter lunatic?:think:

Just did!

:jump:

Tell you what...if "the guy" can ever, even once, open his mouth and say something that is remotely worth consideration and doesn't incite in me an immediate urge to vomit, then I will do my best to tone down my vocabulary.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Just did!

:jump:

Tell you what...if "the guy" can ever, even once, open his mouth and say something that is remotely worth consideration and doesn't incite in me an immediate urge to vomit, then I will do my best to tone down my vocabulary.

Suit yourself. You're capable of doing better than deliberately playing the fool.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Obama makes me throw up a little in my mouth each time he speaks. :vomit: I think Vegas hit the nail on the head with his post.