toldailytopic: Liberals want to outlaw large soft drinks and other large sugary drink

Dena

Stupid.

There's no evidence that the act of drinking soda in ANY amount causes or even contributes to obesity.

My wife hasn't had a coke in two and a half years, but hasn't lost any weight due to other health factors.

my husband drinks pop and is fairly thin. i don't drink it and i am uh...not anywhere near thin. i am sure it contributes for those who do drink it and are overweight. i mean how many calories are in a giant glass of pop? a ton.

PureX

Why is a war on recreational drug abuse acceptable, while a war on recreational food abuse is absurd? Why is it OK to ban cigarettes for children, but not OK to ban giant doses of sugar water for them? Why is it OK for the government to tell us who we can and can't have sex with, but not OK for the government to tell us what we can and can't eat?

I think the laughing and finger-pointing can go in pretty much any direction related to pretty much any issue. And yet we still need laws, and government to establish and enforce them. Because the truth is we are not capable as a society of monitoring our own behavior wisely, otherwise.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Temp Banned
“We’re simply forcing you to understand that you have to make the conscious decision to go from one cup to another cup.” :Commie: ~ Mayor Bloomberg Rev. 13:11–17
LOL!
Your avatar cracked me up!

Dena

Why is a war on recreational drug abuse acceptable, while a war on recreational food abuse is absurd? Why is it OK to ban cigarettes for children, but not OK to ban giant doses of sugar water for them? Why is it OK for the government to tell us who we can and can't have sex with, but not OK for the government to tell us what we can and can't eat?

I would bet marijuana is much safer than soda. It is kinda funny to hear people complain about pop when you know full well they want all drugs illegal, gay marriage be be banned, etc.

PureX

I would bet marijuana is much safer than soda. It is kinda funny to hear people complain about pop when you know full well they want all drugs illegal, gay marriage be be banned, etc.
The weird thing is that this is a serious problem. And doing nothing isn't helping at all. Obesity is really becoming a health threat in this country, and especially for children. They tend not to get the moderate type of diabetes that we adults get, they go right to full on diabetes and it sticks with them for life. And it will shorten their life span, too. Bad diet and exercise habits do our kids more harm than if we were letting them smoke, and yet we think it's outrageous and hilarious that someone might suggest banning the most overt diatary offenders.

I don't like the idea of the government having to ban things because people are too weak or stupid to govern their own behavior. But clearly, at some point it becomes necessary.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If you outlaw ridiculously oversized sodas only ridiculously oversized outlaws will have them. :liberals:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
NO MORE BIG GULPS: NEW YORK CITY TO BAN SALE OF LARGE SODAS & SUGARED DRINKS

New York City plans to enact a far-reaching ban on the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks at restaurants, movie theaters and street carts, in the most ambitious effort yet by the Bloomberg administration to combat rising obesity.

The proposed ban would affect virtually the entire menu of popular sugary drinks found in delis, fast-food franchises and even sports arenas, from energy drinks to pre-sweetened iced teas. The sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 fluid ounces — about the size of a medium coffee, and smaller than a common soda bottle — would be prohibited under the first-in-the-nation plan, which could take effect as soon as next March.

The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores.

“Obesity is a nationwide problem, and all over the United States, public health officials are wringing their hands saying, ‘Oh, this is terrible,’ ” Mr. Bloomberg said in an interview on Wednesday in the Governor’s Room at City Hall.

FULL STORY

Ridiculous ...

genuineoriginal

PHP4F6FC24D00926.jpg

eameece

It is a great idea. I am all for it. Go Nanny State!!! :devil:

Soft drinks are a problem, more than other food, to the obesity epidemic, which is very costly to society. Large soft drinks I regard as coming under the definition of a "harmful product" put out by an industry that damages peoples' health, just like a drug that doesn't work as advertised, toys that kids can choke on, cars that pollute, cigarettes that cause cancer, contaminated food, etc. Regulation is needed of such products. Large drinks are a marketing ploy by the industry to get you to consume more, and such consumption is dangerous to our health and financial well-being. But you can still buy two or three smaller drinks, so this is not infringement on peoples' right to drink what they want; it is regulation of a harmful industrial marketing ploy of a dangerous product. I hope it inspires more of the same elsewhere.

What we have today is a food and market industry that cares not a fig for our health, so long as it can profit from our addictions at the least possible cost, and make available only harmful foods that boost its profits rather than feed us what we need for life.

eameece

I'd suggest a march on city hall, but there aren't enough ambulances for the inevitable fall out. :plain:

Imagine such a march, of a thousand fat people waddling up the street; they wouldn't even make it, they would collapse on the street and the ambulances would indeed by quite busy!

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
A stupid idea. The guys behind this know that you could just buy several small ones. But they are relying on the knowledge that people tend to accept whatever portions are put in front of them as the correct portion.

I'm just glad we have this to complain about, instead of laws making consensual sex between adults a crime or laws outlawing unapproved religions. But we should draw the line now, to keep that kind of thing from happening.

PureX

A stupid idea. The guys behind this know that you could just buy several small ones. But they are relying on the knowledge that people tend to accept whatever portions are put in front of them as the correct portion.

I'm just glad we have this to complain about, instead of laws making consensual sex between adults a crime or laws outlawing unapproved religions. But we should draw the line now, to keep that kind of thing from happening.
Yeah, I think the upside is that maybe it begins a serious conversation in this country about what to do. Our kids really are being endangered by not just our bad eating habits but by a lot of really nasty commercial food products that are being constantly shoved in their faces.

At some point we are going to have to begin taking responsibility for the social damage that results from commercial activity that's based only and entirely on maximizing profits, and is essentially oblivious to the welfare of human beings.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
NO MORE BIG GULPS: NEW YORK CITY TO BAN SALE OF LARGE SODAS & SUGARED DRINKS

New York City plans to enact a far-reaching ban on the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks at restaurants, movie theaters and street carts, in the most ambitious effort yet by the Bloomberg administration to combat rising obesity.

The proposed ban would affect virtually the entire menu of popular sugary drinks found in delis, fast-food franchises and even sports arenas, from energy drinks to pre-sweetened iced teas. The sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 fluid ounces — about the size of a medium coffee, and smaller than a common soda bottle — would be prohibited under the first-in-the-nation plan, which could take effect as soon as next March.

The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores.

“Obesity is a nationwide problem, and all over the United States, public health officials are wringing their hands saying, ‘Oh, this is terrible,’ ” Mr. Bloomberg said in an interview on Wednesday in the Governor’s Room at City Hall.

FULL STORY
Why not outlaw supersized clothing. That way anybody over a certain size would not be able to go out and get more food!

john w

Hall of Fame
Here is a recent photo of one of the legislators in the NYC Bloomberg administration, supporting the legislation. The photo was taken after his lunch at "Tony's Italian Cafe:"

og-chubby2.jpg
"

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I love it. Libs are so funny, on the one hand they don't want to be told how to live their lives, but then they want to tell everyone else how to live theirs.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Temp Banned
If you outlaw ridiculously oversized sodas only ridiculously oversized outlaws will have them. :liberals:
LOL!

jail.gif
Jailbird 1 ---- "I raped and murdered a child."

jail.gif
Jailbird 2 ---- "I drank from a big gulp."

Lon

toldailytopic: Liberals want to outlaw large soft drinks and other large sugary drinks, thoughts?

Initial thoughts:
#1 This should really be a NY medical association decision.
#2 Ban soda and not the whole greasy spoon??? :doh:
#3 Restart the state militia draft and force exercise
#4 Outlaw couches, TV's, and beer
#5 Quit allowing the creation of sedentary jobs. Instead of desks, tread mills with an Ipad in the office. Better yet: Free internet and Ipad loan on all tracks and golf courses w/o carts (and you can order a big gulp after 20 laps or 18 holes).

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I almost want to go get a big gulp in protest. But I stopped drinking pop almost half a year ago.