toldailytopic: Is there any point in praying for the dead?

ThePresbyteers

Where's that in the Bible?

CC #688 commences by claiming Rome
"transmits... the faith of the apostles",
but then proceeds to say it acts under
the authority of "Tradition" and Church
"Magisterium".

Typical of the self-contradictory statements found throughout the Catholic Catechism !

In this single section of the CC, Rome clearly indicates that it does not transmit the faith of the Apostles, instead utilizing several other and different authorities.

In their list here of eight sources, just ONE ("the Scriptures") is Apostolic !

Scripture alone being the only and sole record of Apostolic faith. Plenary inspired and inerrant. All the others merely traditions of men.

"Neglecting the commandment
of God, you hold to the tradition
of men"
(Mark 7:8 NASB)

"In vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines
the commandments of men" (Matthew 15:9 NKJ).

29sola-scriptura-defn.jpg

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
You seem to be failing to understand an opposing viewpoint.
Purgatory? It's a pretty good ski area just outside Durango, Colorado but it is not a holding tank for those who are saved but not quite saved enough to make it all the way to heaven. Why don't you think Jesus did enough for you?

zippy2006 said:
Do Catholics accept all of the presuppositions you make here?
No
zippy2006 said:
If not, which do they not accept?
The notion that any and all traditions should be vetted solely against scripture and discarded if scripture does not support them.
zippy2006 said:
How does that thing they do not accept impact the conversation? :idea:
Keeps it lively!

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
CC #688 commences by claiming Rome
"transmits... the faith of the apostles",
but then proceeds to say it acts under
the authority of "Tradition" and Church
"Magisterium".

Typical of the self-contradictory statements found throughout the Catholic Catechism !

In this single section of the CC, Rome clearly indicates that it does not transmit the faith of the Apostles, instead utilizing several other and different authorities.

In their list here of eight sources, just ONE ("the Scriptures") is Apostolic !

Scripture alone being the only and sole record of Apostolic faith. Plenary inspired and inerrant. All the others merely traditions of men.

"Neglecting the commandment
of God, you hold to the tradition
of men"
(Mark 7:8 NASB)

"In vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines
the commandments of men" (Matthew 15:9 NKJ).

29sola-scriptura-defn.jpg

So you're saying it's not in the Bible?

1 Cor. 11:2:

Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you.

Cruciform

In this thread, when another person stated that Catholics place the pope before Christ, you disagreed. However, the above quote would certainly seem to indicate that, at the least, a Catholic would place the pope as equal, another "head of" the Church. A slight difference between what was stated here and your quote, but close enough that the point made here seems valid.
Except that serpent deliberately lied in failing to fully quote what I actually said. Looks like you've simply bought into his lie.

If that isn't what is meant, then please explain, in your own words, what you mean when you state what you did in the above quote.
Already answered here.

One could ask the same question regarding those the RCC claims interpret as well. Why should their interpretation be the only one accepted?
I'll be happy to answer, just as soon as you provide your answer.

Revelation 22:18-19 - "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

Seems that the Word of God tells us just that, that it should be the source, and the ONLY source for spiritual matters.
How in the world do you draw this conclusion from the biblical warning against adding to the book of Revelation? :confused:

Rather, you're simply trying to read sola scriptura into the biblical text. It just doesn't work.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

Of course, your comment merely assumes that apostolic teaching is to be found in scripture alone (sola scriptura), and in no other sources. But this simply begs the question (petitio principii) in favor of the Protestant position. However, neither scripture itself, nor the beliefs and teachings of the early Christian Church, make any such assumption.

In their list here of eight sources, just ONE ("the Scriptures") is Apostolic!
Petitio principii.

Scripture alone being the only and sole record of Apostolic faith.
Now go ahead and demonstrate this claim---rather than merely asserting it---from "scripture alone."

sola.jpg

"Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men" (Mark 7:8 NASB)
Yes, traditions of men such as, e.g., sola scriptura and sola fide.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Spiritual bridges......

Spiritual bridges......

Why do the dead pray for us? Jesus taught us that Dives asked for his brothers to be enlightened and forewarned. That is the crux of prayer of the dead for the living!

Why would Jesus teach us that?

Why can the dead presume to pray (petition) for the living? Especially through a mediator?

Luke 16:27 and 28

I will add onto this since its not been responded to, for such an interesting role-reversal of the dead praying for the living shows that conscious beings (call them souls or spirits) can have thoughts towards other living beings (whether they be incarnate or disincarnate).

As long as a soul is conscious it has the power and potential to affect other conscious beings, especially when its thoughts and prayers are inspired by love and directed by divine will.

From a spiritualist's POV, no one is 'dead', since souls or spirits continue on as conscious beings. The point of praying for those who have passed onto into spirit-life is a natural gesture of holy concern. There is also no reason to believe that those in other dimensions or worlds cannot pray for us as well, as Sheila has pointed out.

Near Death Experiences & The Afterlife

pj

Jason0047

What happened to witches in the Old Testament and what did they practice?

Well, according to just 1 Samuel 28, we know the following.

#1. Witches were commanded to be killed in the Old Testament times.
#2. Witches practiced in communicating with the dead.

Therefore, if a Catholic was living in the Old Testament times, they would have been put to death for practicing divination. If they didn't get caught in being punished for that, then they would have been killed for creating idols (i.e. little statues) and pretending that they held some type of power of some kind (See The Ten Commandments (Exodus 20)).

I say this not to wound anyone personally, but to lead them to the truth.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
keynotes......

keynotes......

What happened to witches in the Old Testament and what did they practice?

Well, according to just 1 Samuel 28, we know the following.

#1. Witches were commanded to be killed in the Old Testament times.
#2. Witches practiced in communicating with the dead.

I say this not to wound anyone personally, but to lead them to the truth.

First you'd have to properly define 'witchcraft' according to the cultural-context of the texts above and how definitions of 'witchcraft' differ over time and the evolution of religious-thought. Not all 'witches' communicate with the dead. Also the term 'communicate with the dead' can have various meanings.

We treat this in "Wicca and Witchcraft - good or bad? "

More on mediumship and 'spiritual communication' is also treated in our 'Spiritism' thread.

Therefore, if a Catholic was living in the Old Testament times, they would have been put to death for practicing divination. If they didn't get caught in being punished for that, then they would have been killed for creating idols (i.e. little statues) and pretending that they held some type of power of some kind (See The Ten Commandments (Exodus 20)).

Is there a record of how many 'witches' were ever killed in the times of the OT? I dont think genuine catholics worship idols, for an idol or image is not 'God', but a representation thereof. Reverence of a 'personality' is honoring the god-essence and glory of God (the Spirit) in that individual expression of divinity. Nothing wrong with that at all, since 'God' reveals himself in many forms.

We also treat this from a Hindu perspective in the subject of 'murtis' Here. Catholic veneration of statues is a little different than Hindu adoration of such, but both acknowledge that such are only 'forms' empowering our adoration of Deity.

Finally,....if you look at the exquisite ornamentation and symology in the Jewish Temple, from the priestly robes, utensils, physical images, art, etc....we find many forms expressing various aspects of divine ministry. God apparently invests himself in such and enjoys a rich pageantry in the play of creation....and redemption.

A true devotee of God prays whatever the Spirit inspires him towards, and since it is of the Spirit it is always a true motivation with genuine cause and effects.

pj