toldailytopic: Is polygamy wrong?

Granite

Hall of Fame
That would be natural law as interpreted by the carnal man....

Funny, nobody ever seems to think a woman would want more than one husband.

(Waits for wise cracks.)

But in all seriousness: everyone always assumes polygamy's a patriarchial sort of arrangement. Not necessarily, folks.

AlephTav

. . . or Jacob . . . or Solomon . . . or . . .

Just because Jacob and Solomon did it, doesn't mean it was a good idea. If you read through Genesis 29-30, you can see the problems Jacob had.

And in regards to Solomon, God set up the criteria for a King in Deut 17. He later tells David that if Solomon walks in God's ways, the family will always have a man on the throne. Solomon comes along and takes more wives than I can count, and the throne of Israel becomes forever divided. When you look at the criteria of a King in Deut 17, and then look at Solomon's life, you see that he pretty much threw most of that criteria out the window, so it's not just the wives that did in him.

Regardless, while polygamy might be permissable, I can't see a way that it's beneficial.

Silent Hunter

Just because Jacob and Solomon did it, doesn't mean it was a good idea. If you read through Genesis 29-30, you can see the problems Jacob had.
Critically the WOMEN had the problem . . . jealousy seemed to be the culprit.

And in regards to Solomon, God set up the criteria for a King in Deut 17. He later tells David that if Solomon walks in God's ways, the family will always have a man on the throne. Solomon comes along and takes more wives than I can count, and the throne of Israel becomes forever divided. When you look at the criteria of a King in Deut 17, and then look at Solomon's life, you see that he pretty much threw most of that criteria out the window, so it's not just the wives that did in him.
I suppose it all comes down to the definition of "many" in v17 where anyone could interpret that to mean any number less than 700. And then there is David's violation of v20 so I doubt you can lay all of the blame on Solomon.

Regardless, while polygamy might be permissable, I can't see a way that it's beneficial.
. . . YOU can't . . .

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ah yes, the basis for all atheist/agnostic belief: consent.

Now now, ASC ... Christians have the capability of consenting also.

Rules, so many rules! But but but, why can't children or teens consent as well?

Because children are not capable of consent. Is there some reason in particular that you are arguing that they should be?

In another thread a three year old told his two "mommies" that he wanted to be a girl (and they took his word for it and are going through with his request), so why can't teens or 12 year olds know what's best for them?

A THREE year old is having a sex change? That would be very much like a three year old being allowed to marry, have a limb removed or have a tattoo because his/her parent/parents allow it.

So what is your argument for believing a three year old should be allowed to have a sex change?

I see, when it comes to philosophy, atheist principles (consent) are great, but when it comes to your own personal life, Christian principles are better?

Pfftttt ... step away from the mirror and quit with the projections already. It is YOUR religion, not my *secular* beliefs that endorses polygamy.

"7: And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul; 8: And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things" (2 Sam. 12).

Isaiah 4

1And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
. . . or Jacob . . . or Solomon . . . or . . .

1 Kings 11:11

11 Therefore the LORD said to Solomon, “Because you have done this, and have not kept My covenant and My statutes, which I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom away from you and give it to your servant.

Matthew 19

He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”

The beginning?

24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

MrRadish

Just like adultery. Nobody was beaten, murdered or robbed.

Polygamy is different from adultery in that the latter typically involves deception and/or breach of promise.

But you're right in that neither of them cause physical harm which is probably why neither should be illegal. If boorish, self-indulgent conduct were illegal just because it's likely to upset or offend people, you'd be doing a life sentence by now - so count your blessings! :chuckle:

So basically you don't care if people get hurt. Just another hell bound godless piece of trash you are...

I'd rather people weren't hurt, but unlike you I believe in treating people as responsible adults who are capable of making their own decisions. Who am I, and who are you, to tell every single person in the world that we know better than them what will make them happy? Arrogance.

Lighthouse said:
"Things are not always what they seem."

No, but until I'm presented with convincing evidence to the contrary I prefer to take people at their word.

Silent Hunter

1 Kings 11:11

11 Therefore the LORD said to Solomon, “Because you have done this, and have not kept My covenant and My statutes, which I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom away from you and give it to your servant.
:rotfl: Well, Nick, you've never been good with context.

Solomon is being chastised for something else entirely, see 1 Kings 11:9.

Matthew 19

He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”

The beginning?
. . . and again, out of context.

"From the beginning it was not so" that the men be permitted to divorce their wives . . . NOT that they couldn't have more than one; compare the operative underlined.

24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
How does this limit the number of wives a man can have?

bybee

:rotfl: Well, Nick, you've never been good with context.

Solomon is being chastised for something else entirely, see 1 Kings 11:9.

. . . and again, out of context.

"From the beginning it was not so" that the men be permitted to divorce their wives . . . NOT that they couldn't have more than one; compare the operative underlined.

How does this limit the number of wives a man can have?

So long as men have power they shall want more than they need and take what they don't deserve.

Dena

Wrong in what sense? According to God? I don't think it's necessarily "wrong" but it's definitely not for everyone. I'm not so sure it's the best environment to raise children either. I'm not going to wrong is immoral or unethical per se but it seems like it's an awful lot of work and in the end could be damaging to all parties involved.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Polygamy is different from adultery in that the latter typically involves deception and/or breach of promise.

Yeah, but was somebody hurt? That is your premise for right and wrong. Which isn't so far off, you just don't know some things are in fact, wrong.