toldailytopic: Is polygamy wrong?

Ted L Glines

On so many levels....unless you are a mormon or a muslim.
For some reason they think that'd be paradise :confused:
Mormons, their own planet, Muslims, 20 virgins. :idunno:

Do Muslims have multiple wives? Sounds like a good way to invite premature ulcers. 20 virgins = boring x 20 (if that is paradise, count me out)

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
there is nothing inherently wrong with a man having more than one wife
and
it is justified by natural law

Granite

Hall of Fame
Eh, I don't see anything wrong with it. I see plenty crazy about it, potentially, but to each their own.

Silent Hunter

1Timothy 3:2 "A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;"

1Timothy 3:12 "Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well."

Leaders of the church are meant to be examples for members of the church. Therefore I believe Paul is saying that all Christians are to have only one wife.
I suppose you can read into it whatever you like given the underlined.

Silent Hunter

More than one wife . . . :juggle:

Except I have enough trouble keeping up with ONE girlfriend . . . :thumb:.

Last edited:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
As long as it's between consenting adults

Ah yes, the basis for all atheist/agnostic belief: consent.

(absolutely no children or teens), then I don't see it as something that should be prohibited.

Rules, so many rules! But but but, why can't children or teens consent as well? In another thread a three year old told his two "mommies" that he wanted to be a girl (and they took his word for it and are going through with his request), so why can't teens or 12 year olds know what's best for them?

However, on a personal note, the opinion I have expressed with my daughter and son is that the act is demeaning to the person who has chosen to be part of their partner's harem.

I see, when it comes to philosophy, atheist principles (consent) are great, but when it comes to your own personal life, Christian principles are better?

bybee

Look who's talking.

Bottomline, if we're all adults here, and a few folks want to cohabit and say some vows...where is the harm?

Well Dearie, polygamy definitely would not work for me and it would have been a death sentence for my husband! :rolleyes::execute::rip:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I know a few people in multiple relationships (all open and above board) in which everyone seems healthy and pretty happy about it. Good on them, I suppose.
"Things are not always what they seem."

It's against the law.
Is it?

Only one marriage is legally recognized, but adultery isn't enforced as illegal, and polyamory certainly isn't, so is polygamy, as it's practiced these days, actually illegal?

And even if it were legality has no bearing on right and wrong; abortion and homosexuality are legal in most countries.

there is nothing inherently wrong with a man having more than one wife
and
it is justified by natural law
:AMR:

Silent Hunter

Ah yes, the basis for all atheist/agnostic belief: consent.
Since when is consent a basis for theological belief?

. . . consent.
How is that a bad thing?

Rules, so many rules! But but but, why can't children or teens consent as well? In another thread a three year old told his two "mommies" that he wanted to be a girl (and they took his word for it and are going through with his request), so why can't teens or 12 year olds know what's best for them?
RED herring.

I see, when it comes to philosophy, atheist principles (consent) are great, but when it comes to your own personal life, Christian principles are better?
Non sequitur.

So many fallacies . . . so little time.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
. . . consent.

How is that a bad thing?

For those that promote homosexuality, incest, polygamy, adultery (forget the "contract"), and bestiality (if the animal doesn't kick, bite or try to run/swim away, it's "consensual"), it's not a "bad thing".
http://www.3news.co.nz/Man-details-...-book/tabid/418/articleID/226772/Default.aspx

Why is it that atheists are the always the ones to promote those lifestyles? Perhaps because their morals are "relative" to their religion of nothingism?

Silent Hunter

Quote:
. . . consent.

For those that promote homosexuality, incest, polygamy, adultery (forget the "contract"), and bestiality (if the animal doesn't kick, bite or try to run/swim away, it's "consensual"), it's not a "bad thing".
http://www.3news.co.nz/Man-details-...-book/tabid/418/articleID/226772/Default.aspx
You might have had a point if you hadn't inserted the Red Herring of beastiality :sigh:.

Why is it that atheists are the always the ones to promote those lifestyles? Perhaps because their morals are "relative" to their religion of nothingism?
Oddly, way too many christians seem to have a great difficulty refraining from those lifestyles. But I'm sure you will have a convoluted excuse for their behavior :dizzy:.