toldailytopic: Is it wrong to teach children that Santa Claus is real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is not a thing wrong with stories about fictional characters. I Just never got why it is fun for parents to lead their children to believe that fictional characters are real.

Nydhogg

If Santa is a Christian thing, then does that mean if you scramble up that word then it turns into Satan?

Don't know what you're getting at. It's a christianized version of our myth.

I prefer the original, unadulterated one, that's all :p.

taikoo

There is not a thing wrong with stories about fictional characters. I Just never got why it is fun for parents to lead their children to believe that fictional characters are real.

Do all bible-believers do their due diligence in making sure they are not teaching fictional characters as real?

Santa is as real as Noah.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I remember him stamping his feet and then slamming the door
we would then run from our bedroom into the living room, right past all the presents, and open the door to see if we could see him

my older brother thought he saw him and so did I

the next year my dad had to insulate the front door so it couldn't be used
and
we were assured that he could easily use the back door

I don't think its morally wrong, but I think its unwise. It destroys the kids trust in you. Even if they get over it, I think it would be more rewarding to feel that your kids trust you fully and love you for it.

I'll prolly teach my kids about Santa, but only as a fable or folkloric figure, not that he is a real person.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I don't think its morally wrong, but I think its unwise. It destroys the kids trust in you. Even if they get over it, I think it would be more rewarding to feel that your kids trust you fully and love you for it.

I'll prolly teach my kids about Santa, but only as a fable or folkloric figure, not that he is a real person.

so you didn't get over it?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Will you tell them he's based on a real person? Because he is.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Something I hadn't thought about in a lot of years. My brother told me there was no Santa Claus. As I remember, it was a sad moment. Then I got curious. Did the library searches etc. and discovered where the various SC legends came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.