toldailytopic: Is it wrong to teach children that Santa Claus is real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
It is a sin to lie to your children by trying to get them to believe in mythological stories that involve magic and pagan ideas.

It is a great idea to teach your children about the real-life-but-long-gone "Saint" Nicholas of Smyrna, a bishop in 4th Century Turkey who expressed his Christian agape love for children and the poor, but who also used his authority to order the destruction of local pagan idols and institutions, including the local Temple of Artemis, which was razed to the ground on his orders. They then used those materials to build new churches, redeeming what was used for evil to bring about good.

He was a loving and compassionate man who worked hard to care for children and the poor, and who also harshly rebuked wickedness in his day. Today, he is an example for us in this way. Don't teach your children mythological lies about magic and and the supernatural, which may harm their faith someday (it certainly harmed my own, as it has many others'). Instead, raise your children up in the truth and in the teaching of the Bible.

Now this I can appreciate! :thumb:

Cracked

Don't teach your children mythological lies about magic and and the supernatural, which may harm their faith someday (it certainly harmed my own, as it has many others'). Instead, raise your children up in the truth and in the teaching of the Bible.

Santa Clause harmed your children's faith? Wow - were you pretty hard core about it or something? Around our house Santa is an exciting part of Christmas, but we don't dwell on him. As a kid, I believed in Santa for a while, but then started to question it and my parents told me he did not exist. It stung a bit, I remember. However, looking back now on it it was a small price to pay for the fun it provided for my brother and me.

ghost

Hall of Fame
Yes, it's wrong.

It is not wrong to incorporate Santa/Rudolph/Grinch/Scrooge type things in Christmas, though we do not sing "Santa Claus is coming to town" because it gives Santa god-like qualities, albeit the god of godrulz, not the God of the Bible.

We like to just keep Christmas mainly focused on a fun time to hang out with family, and an opportunity to talk about Jesus with those who otherwise might not listen.

elohiym

We've always told our children that Santa Clause is a fictional character created to exploit people and get them to spend money on things they don't need and really can't afford, just like President Obama.

Unfortunately, we had to tell them President Obama is real. Then they cried.

WizardofOz

I like to teach my boys that money doesn't grow on trees and that presents don't magically fall from a fat man's sled.
We've always told our children that Santa Clause is a fictional character created to exploit people and get them to spend money on things they don't need and really can't afford, just like President Obama.

:rotfl:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Santa Clause harmed your children's faith? Wow - were you pretty hard core about it or something? Around our house Santa is an exciting part of Christmas, but we don't dwell on him. As a kid, I believed in Santa for a while, but then started to question it and my parents told me he did not exist. It stung a bit, I remember. However, looking back now on it it was a small price to pay for the fun it provided for my brother and me.

I don't think he was referring to the particular aspect of "Santa" as much as the concept of myths about magic and the supernatural.

....but I could be wrong. :idunno:

Paulos

Isaiah 14
13: For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

Satan Claus, from the sides of the North Pole.

St Nick was from the Nicolaitanes, whose deeds God hates ?

Indeed, Santa Claus=Satan Claws. Such similarities are too obvious to be denied.

http://www.biblebelievers.com/jmelton/SantaClause.html

Cracked

I like to teach my boys that money doesn't grow on trees and that presents don't magically fall from a fat man's sled.

:rotfl:

Yes Christmas - the time for hard lessons :Clete: Welcome to the real world little Johny!

Apparently it is also good time to also condemn democrats and commies.

Cracked

I don't think he was referring to the particular aspect of "Santa" as much as the concept of myths about magic and the supernatural.

....but I could be wrong. :idunno:

CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien - tools of the devil?

ghost

Hall of Fame

:chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Elo sort of beat me to it...

I was going to say I'll teach my kid that the Santa Claus/present thing is a great deal like responsible government. They both look real on television and a great deal is said about them, but in the end it's just your mom and dad and a lot of Chinese people holding the whole thing together. :plain:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Indeed, Santa Claus=Satan Claws. Such similarities are too obvious to be denied.

http://www.biblebelievers.com/jmelton/SantaClause.html

Wave that banner man! :thumb:

:think: Actually, I've been considering the premise of that site.....but while the idea is correct it's waaay off in regards to it's target. The whole Santa Claus thing has nothing to do with undermining Chritianity it's undermining Paganism! :noway:

Consider:

Sinterklaas rides the roof tops with his white horse Amerigo; Odin rides the sky with his gray horse Sleipnir.

Sinterklaas and Odin are both depicted with a long beard.

Sinterklaas has a staff and mischievous helpers with black faces; Odin has a spear and black ravens as his attributes.

It has been also claimed that the tradition of children placing their boots filled with carrots, straw or sugar near the chimney for the White horse of Sinterklaas goes back to pre-Christian North Western Europe, where children would place their boots near the chimney for Odin's flying horse, Sleipnir, to eat.

I must warn Nydhogg that his religion is under attack. :plain:

Nydhogg

I don't much care about that Santa Claus guy either way. It's a christian thing. I don't have kids, but I doubt I'll tell them Santa's real.

Heathen kids receive gifts from the Yule Lads, the Yule Man, or the Tomte, depending on specific tradition ;).

Last edited:

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic:
Is it wrong to teach children that Santa Claus is real?

As long as it is explained that Santa Claus is a myth. Otherwise to teach that Santa Claus is real is deception and deception is like a lie, it gets bigger and bigger, etc., and that is not good.

We didn't say much to our kids, and we did not promote the Santa Claus thing as being true. When the time came I told them, It is not what it seems, our oldest son had figured it out already and answered, "we know."

My Grandpa Harvey, broke the news to me when I saw him putting together a trike and Radio-Flyer Wagon, some how it didn't bother me; that was the same year I had my picture taken with Santa Claus and gave it to Grandpa for Christmas, the year was 1947.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Response number 2

Response number 2

toldailytopic:
Is it wrong to teach children that Santa Claus is real?

Santa Claus 101. Lesson number 1.

Santa Claus and Popcorn

WizardofOz

Yes Christmas - the time for hard lessons :Clete: Welcome to the real world little Johny!

Christmas - the time for otherwise well-mannered children to act like spoiled brats because Santa is going to bring them everything they want.

When they realize its not Santa but rather mommy and daddy, then they're not as disappointed by Santa not giving them the 24 carat GI Joe's they put on their wish list.

And, I don't have to explain why I'm eating all of his cookies :chew:
Apparently it is also good time to also condemn democrats and commies.

No time like the present ;)

Cracked

Christmas - the time for otherwise well-mannered children to act like spoiled brats because Santa is going to bring them everything they want.

When they realize its not Santa but rather mommy and daddy, then they're not as disappointed by Santa not giving them the 24 carat GI Joe's they put on their wish list.

And, I don't have to explain why I'm eating all of his cookies :chew:

No time like the present ;)

First, not all children act like brats at Christmas. I never did as a kid. My kids don't (though they have there moments, just not related to Santa/presents).

I've never told them that Santa will get them whatever they want. I've told them that Santa might bring them a present Christmas eve. Big difference.

You can related Santa to consumerism if you'd like. Certainly he is used that way. Personally, I just like to bring a little wonder and mystery to Christmas time for my kids. That's it. I don't spoil them, and neither does Santa.

Finally, Santa Clause likes roast beef sandwiches more than cookies - any child knows that.

Status
Not open for further replies.