toldailytopic: Is it immoral to smoke Marijuana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulos

I thought for a long time that nothing was immoral when it didn't hurt anyone else but me. The meaning of the word "immoral" only became clear to me after having read C.S. Lewis's "Mere Christianity". I now full heartedly agree with Knight that taking substances that alter your personal "settings" is a wrong action.

By that same logic, drinking alcoholic drinks is also a "wrong action", and yet moderate wine drinking is spoken of approvingly in the Bible. But even moderate intake of alcohol will alter one's "personal settings".

Tobacco and coffee also alter one's personal settings, albeit in less obvious ways. Nicotine and caffeine are psychoactive substances, and both are quite highly addictive.

Granite

Hall of Fame
In theory absolutely everything you ingest alters your "settings," as does exercise, changing your sleep patterns, or hypnosis.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
By that same logic, drinking alcoholic drinks is also a wrong action. Moderate wine drinking is spoken of approvingly in the Bible, but even moderate intake of alcohol will alter one's "personal settings".

Tobacco and coffee also alter one's personal settings, albeit in less obvious ways. Nicotine and caffeine are psychoactive substances.

It's probably immoral to smoke tobacco, though not for the same reasons I've described previously. We each have an imperfect duty to preserve our health.

Caffeine is different in kind from all of the drugs previously mentioned. Caffeine arguably is the exact opposite of alcohol and marijuana. You drink coffee when you want to work harder.

Arthur Brain

Apparently so. If anyone wants to get on my rocketship and go with me to Burger World, where burgers are more moral than morals, then by-golly come on aboard and get ready to satiate those taste buds.

Only if such are of the most succulent variety, accompanied with the finest quality cheese and the freshest of bread, otherwise I'll stick to me cucumber sarnies...

:plain:

Granite

Hall of Fame
It's probably immoral to smoke tobacco, though not for the same reasons I've described previously. We each have an imperfect duty to preserve our health.

Caffeine is different in kind from all of the drugs previously mentioned. Caffeine arguably is the exact opposite of alcohol and marijuana. You drink coffee when you want to work harder.

I dunno, a lot of coffee drinkers (read: caffeine addicts) drink joe as a compulsion. Part of the morning routine. I know I did, when I drank coffee regularly; I didn't even particularly like the stuff, but I dreaded the headaches that accompany withdrawal.

AnitaNL

Who's Michelle?

I've got quarter pounders in the freezer as well...

This thread is getting surreal....

:shocked:

Well, to summarize it all: Everything accept water, fruits, vegetables, beans and grains are immoral substances -according to me & your First Lady. But people are people and ..uh... we're off to Burger World.

fool

Hall of Fame
Hamburgers don't kill people.
People kill people.
With Hamburgers.
That don't even have any ham in them.

Mr.Razorblades

Arthur Brain said:
Only if such are of the most succulent variety, accompanied with the finest quality cheese and the freshest of bread, otherwise I'll stick to me cucumber sarnies...

Let's just put it this way. The cows on Burger World are more grateful for their jobs than the ones mentioned in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe".

Granite

Hall of Fame
Everybody realizes that marijuana's status is a holdover from Prohibition that was steeped in racism, right?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Who's Michelle?
:guitar:

"Michelle, my belle.
Sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble,
Très bien ensemble."

I've got quarter pounders in the freezer as well...
That's where I keep my chilly dogs. :plain:

This thread is getting surreal....
Quickly becoming the most annoyingly repeated descriptive in the English language...and on film.

:shocked:
And keep off the grass! :IA:

Paulos

Marijuana is so nontoxic that it has never caused a single death due to overdose. By contrast, consider all of the cases of lung cancer, liver disease, and drunk-driving deaths caused in this country every day by alcohol and tobacco. Now THAT is what I call immoral. You'd think we'd make tobacco and alcohol illegal too, but we don't roll that way in the good 'ol USA. We like to do things hypocritically here. And we all know what Jesus thought of hypocrites, don't we?

http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword...ion1=9&searchtype=all&bookset=4&limit=bookset

Status
Not open for further replies.