toldailytopic: Is it immoral to smoke Marijuana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 9th, 2011 11:21 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

pqmomba8

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 9th, 2011 11:21 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

NO!

Silent Hunter

If it was something god (was supposed to have) made and everything god made was "very good" (Genesis 1:31) . . . why should it be?

Newman

Yes. It's illegal. Intentionally breaking the law is immoral.

Yes. It's mind-altering. Getting high and getting drunk could be considered similarly immoral.

No. It doesn't hurt anybody. It's safe, and when done voluntarily, doesn't trample on anybody's rights.

No. Marijuana is a part of God's creation and therefore at our disposal to consume and enjoy.

No. It has medical benefits and can relieve pain and increase the appetites of many people suffering from different diseases.

It doesn't matter. Its prohibition is unauthorized by the Constitution and is not within the realm of what government should be responsible for or have the power to do.

GuySmiley

Yes, it is illegal and gets you high. Rocks, blue ringed octopus, and lava, are also part of God's creation that were not intended to be put into our bodies.

It should be legal for medicinal purposes if its taken seriously, unlike how its legal for medicinal purposes now.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally Posted by Knight

I hope my answer doesn't get long winded. Smoking it is immoral since it is mind altering. The word sorcery in the New Testament is the Greek word Pharmacopia. It is where we get the word Pharmacy. In the time period of the New Testament and even the Old Testament times. People involved in the Occult would take mind altering substances in order to see visions. The Bible tell us to be of a sober mind. Toking on a joint is not being sober minded. So anyone who tells you smoking joints is not immoral is feeding you a load of manure.

Using Cannabis for medicinal purposes instead of getting high would not be immoral. But its real value as a medicine is debatable.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yes, it is illegal and gets you high. Rocks, blue ringed octopus, and lava, are also part of God's creation that were not intended to be put into our bodies.

It should be legal for medicinal purposes if its taken seriously, unlike how its legal for medicinal purposes now.

I can think of two people I know who would be in agony if not for pot. Not everyone who gets a scrip for their "condition" is just milking the system--although those abusers definitely do give those in true need a bad rep.

PyramidHead

Originally Posted by Knight

I hope my answer doesn't get long winded. Smoking it is immoral since it is mind altering. The word sorcery in the New Testament is the Greek word Pharmacopia. It is where we get the word Pharmacy. In the time period of the New Testament and even the Old Testament times. People involved in the Occult would take mind altering substances in order to see visions. The Bible tell us to be of a sober mind. Toking on a joint is not being sober minded. So anyone who tells you smoking joints is not immoral is feeding you a load of manure.

Using Cannabis for medicinal purposes instead of getting high would not be immoral. But its real value as a medicine is debatable.

I guess you would support the prohibition of alcohol then, seeing as how the Bible says to be of sober mind, and that alcohol is both more intoxicating and more dangerous then 'toking on a joint'?

Its real value as medicine, although you can debate it, is both proven and extensive.

AnitaNL

I thought for a long time that nothing was immoral when it didn't hurt anyone else but me. The meaning of the word "immoral" only became clear to me after having read C.S. Lewis's "Mere Christianity". I now full heartedly agree with Knight that taking substances that alter your personal "settings" is a wrong action.

PyramidHead

I thought for a long time that nothing was immoral when it didn't hurt anyone else but me. The meaning of the word "immoral" only became clear to me after having read C.S. Lewis's "Mere Christianity". I now full heartedly agree with Knight that taking substances that alter your personal "settings" is a wrong action.

What do you mean, personal "settings"? Advil changes your personal settings from pain to less pain. That's immoral?

Also I'd like to point out that marijuana is not the 'worst' thing you can be prescribed. Benzos like Xanax are highly addictive (like alcohol addiction addictive) and prescription painkillers like Oxycodone get you quite high, because they're a pill form of opium. Ever heard of the Boxer Rebellion? Yeah.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I guess you would support the prohibition of alcohol then, seeing as how the Bible says to be of sober mind, and that alcohol is both more intoxicating and more dangerous then 'toking on a joint'?

Its real value as medicine, although you can debate it, is both proven and extensive.

Nope I don't. Moderate use of alcohol doesn't alter the mind, rather it is a relaxant. Marijuana is mind altering from the outset. It's whole purpose is to alter the mind.

Same can be said of cigarettes. They are not mind altering, and therefore not necessarily immoral to use. They might not be the smartest habit to take up, but they are not immoral like taking a mind altering drug is.

Squishes

Nope I don't. Moderate use of alcohol doesn't alter the mind, rather it is a relaxant. Marijuana is mind altering from the outset. It's whole purpose is to alter the mind.

Same can be said of cigarettes. They are not mind altering, and therefore not necessarily immoral to use. They might not be the smartest habit to take up, but they are not immoral like taking a mind altering drug is.

Wrong on all counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.