toldailytopic: If science advanced so that you could live indefinitely would you choo

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 22nd, 2012 08:32 AM

toldailytopic: If science advanced so that you could live indefinitely would you choose to?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Quincy

I would. As long as I can move around on my own and communicate I'd love to live indefinitely. To me, life is awesome. I wouldn't even hunt down the other people, doing it Highlander style either.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Only if my loved one's chose to live indefinitely ...

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Nope! Come LORD Jesus!

Php 3:20 But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,
Php 3:21 who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Who'd want to be alive when the Earth turns to a ball of lava?

Buzzword

Dude, it's the future. We'd just go live on Mars. :hammer:

Hehe. Nice.

If my wife chose to as well, I would try it out for a few decades.

It'd be fun to watch the societal paradigms of "normality" shift again and again.
...wait, wouldn't this technology (or biology) cause a stagnation of human society by keeping the older generations around forever?

The only reason human society has advanced beyond hunting/gathering, geocentrism, and excreting into privy pits is because younger generations have defied the paradigms of normality set by their parents (who also defied the paradigms of their parents, and so on), and eventually outlived them to set societal norms for themselves.

What about overpopulation?
Where would the ever-increasing population of immortals live?
What kind of quality of life could be expected?
Would the process to allow living indefinitely be universally available, or would the poor perish earlier and earlier while the wealthy lived forever?

Fun moral questions to consider.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Assuming I could choose to stop living whenever I felt it was time, yes, I'd try it out for a while.
That raises an interesting point right?

If you chose to go this route, and live forever (on earth).... you would instantly place yourself in the position of having to commit suicide if you ever changed your mind.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't think living on this earth the way it is now would be a good way to spend eternity. I think that's why God designed heaven the way He did. I think God knows that living here on earth in a fallen society would be filled with pain and heartache and we would eventually want to escape it.

Therefore, while I love, love, love, my life here on earth and I don't want it to end prematurely, I also wouldn't want to be here forever. There will come a time when I will be ready to move on to the next phase of my life in heaven.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I share, your sentiments Knight. Earth has become a dive with all the nonsense going on here. Despite this I do have things and people that I love here. I will let God make the judgement call as to when it is my time to leave this place. At that time I will be ready to let go of this life and the joys God has given me here.

I do look forward to God's permanent Kingdom in heaven. There, no perversion or any of the other gross things on earth will be found. I know this analogy sort of falls short, but the fellowship there will be like TOL without all the perverts, non Christians and trolls.

ICameBack

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

(John 11:25-26 ESV)

So, brethren, do you believe this?
;)

Alate_One

If you chose to go this route, and live forever (on earth).... you would instantly place yourself in the position of having to commit suicide if you ever changed your mind.

Presumably you'd have to continue having various body parts renewed and replaced to preserve your clinical immortality. I think if you got bored you'd simply stop and let "nature take its course". Of course there might be a 30 year lag time from there . . .

There's also the issue of accidents that would occur in such a way as to kill you almost instantly. The longer you're living the longer you're rolling the dice that a tree will fall on you.

eameece

Yes, although I think with reincarnation that God has already given us the chance to take a break and then come back if we choose.

Real Sorceror

I imagine a scenario similar to what Alate described. Whether you're biological or cybernetic, you could simply choose to stop maintaining the process and die "naturally". As for suicide, this is an unusual scenario. You'd have already lived a full life, so you aren't really ending it prematurely.

icilian fenner

Assuming your model; and not alates (although alates seems more likely to be the way science might achieve this), then I think that's a small price to pay.

I appreciate that those who are convinced of a hereafter (of heaven, no less) would probably not want to delay their ascention beyond a handful of decades. :D For your average non-believer though, that adventure can wait.

Edit:
In the presence of such technology, is an unwillingness to use it any less committing suicide than starving yourself? Granted, the time-scales are different, but beyond that I can't see a difference.