toldailytopic: If it was proved that homosexuality was genetic, would it then make it

Buzzword

Let me assure you that God has not revealed his character through paganism!

I love how you're acting like YOUR experience of Him is the ONLY experience.

Maybe God has only revealed His character to YOU through the Bible.

I'm okay with that, if that is the case.
He uses the best tool for the job at the time.

But it is NOT the case for me and for many others.

All spirituality is simply people trying to get into the best relationship with God possible.
No single belief system is perfect (as we see daily on TOL), because no single group of people is perfect.

Thus, the older I get the more I see images of God through individual beliefs held across different "religions," and because I am trying to get to that best-case relationship with Him, I have no problem picking out the things I know are true (through experience with Him), and letting go of those which are not.

Notice that I don't say "and then I try to convince everyone else that what I know to be true is THE truth," because God brings each of us to Him in His own time, provided we are seeking Him.

lovemeorhateme

I love how you're acting like YOUR experience of Him is the ONLY experience.

Maybe God has only revealed His character to YOU through the Bible.

I'm okay with that, if that is the case.
He uses the best tool for the job at the time.

But it is NOT the case for me and for many others.

All spirituality is simply people trying to get into the best relationship with God possible.
No single belief system is perfect (as we see daily on TOL), because no single group of people is perfect.

Thus, the older I get the more I see images of God through individual beliefs held across different "religions," and because I am trying to get to that best-case relationship with Him, I have no problem picking out the things I know are true (through experience with Him), and letting go of those which are not.

Notice that I don't say "and then I try to convince everyone else that what I know to be true is THE truth," because God brings each of us to Him in His own time, provided we are seeking Him.

Jesus said, "I AM the way, THE truth and THE life, no man comes to the Father but by ME".

Enough said.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If alcoholism is genetic, then is it okay to be alcoholic?

If it's genetic, then you can't help it. Doesn't make it okay to act on it, just as it's not okay to be a practiciing alcoholic.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
:AMR:

:vomit:

And if evolution were true, there wouldn't be any genetic homosexuality.
This statement is patently false. A "Homosexual Gene", if such exists, could be a receive gene. That would explain why a heterosexual couple with four children could easily have three straight kids, two of which are carriers and one homosexual kid.

Do not confuse genetics with evolution. Though related, they are not the synonymous.

Morphy

It has already been proven retinoblastoma (malignant eye tumor) is genetic. Doest it mean we should "tolerate" it? No, we fight it, because we want to treat every disease, wheter it is genetic or not.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
It has already been proven retinoblastoma (malignant eye tumor) is genetic. Doest it mean we should "tolerate" it? No, we fight it, because we want to treat every disease, wheter it is genetic or not.

Hi Morphy! :wave2: Good to see you around.

GuySmiley

No. I dont believe genetics can make anyone gay, just like genetics cannot make someone an alcoholic, or child molester. I believe its possible that some people could be born with a stronger disposition to be gay, or an alcoholic, but it doesnt mean they have to be . . . and its still a sin. Its just a harder struggle for them than others, possibly. But it could never make it right.

GuySmiley

And if evolution were true, there wouldn't be any genetic homosexuality.
Not true, once I saw a guy make up this really fabulous story about why evolution might keep homos around. It was very scientific sounding and imaginative. :chuckle:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Great question!

My answer would be no, it still wouldn't make it ok. I believe that when sin came into the world, it corrupted all of creation even down to the genetic level. There are a number of genetic diseases and disorders that we know of (cancer is caused by damaged DNA for example). So it would just be proof that homosexuality is an illness. Homosexual urges can be controlled, and I believe in the power of God to heal, so the person living the homosexual lifestyle would still be without excuse.

All that said, I do not believe that homosexuality will ever be proved to be genetic. The struggle of the homosexual isn't against his 'natural genetic makeup' or some 'innate, unchangeable and immutable characteristic' of that person. It is the struggle against sin, plain and simple.

My answer is a little simpler. Even if it were proven beyond any doubt that it is genetic God, who created you, still condemns it!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
No.

But, seriously, if it were genetic they would have figured that out by now; seeing as they figured out genetic traits and how they work, etc. a long time ago.

Not really, they figured it out. Get a doctorate in genetics and you will know they do not really have that much knowledge

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
No, alcoholism is genetic, is it ok to be a complete drunk?

Not sure alcoholism is, in itself, genetic. What one is, predisposed to traits, such as having a fast metabolism for alcohol and a propensity fpr being addicted, yet there is a matter of will, which is perhaps also genetic, yet not only genetic

the answer is still no, it would be a reason for medical intervention, yet not alright to drink excessively.