toldailytopic: How many years ago did dinosaurs walk the earth? And how do we know th

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's called geology. Scientists have been reporting the physical evidence for quite some time.
Feel free to leave off the platitudes and talk about the physical evidence. :thumb:

I'm saying the question may not be able to be answered with the evidence we have. Get it?
So you're not going to even try? :AMR:

Why do you think the water needs to be removed quickly? If sediment is anoxic, little will decompose.
I'd like you to give reason for your beliefs rather than using your conclusions as evidence. Show evidence that the environment was anoxic, not insist it must be so that preservation could occur slowly.

The water must have been removed quickly because, generally speaking, thing in water or in air do not get preserved. They decompose. And they do so quickly.

You can't have anything too violent happening with fossils like microraptor, since it's still articulated with feathers attached.
Something violent clearly happened quickly in order to stamp the previously living organism into its fossilised form. The only way to retain articulation and prevent decomposition is to stamp the organism quickly flat and then quickly remove all the water. The water needs to have had an excess of a cementing agent.

You still say nothing about where the water went or how it all happened so fast.

And you've said nothing about cementing agents.

But you do have a plethora of pretty pictures from vastly different situations to try and distract us from the paucity of evidence for your story about this bird.

Flipper

The only way to retain articulation and prevent decomposition is to stamp the organism quickly flat and then quickly remove all the water. The water needs to have had an excess of a cementing agent.

Your assertions are worth nothing as we already know you're scientifically illiterate. Please post evidence to support your assertion. thx.

Flipper

Yep, the discovery of the great year (an ancient cycle of the Sun and its planets 2400 to 2500 years) and the different affects that has had on the earth and the many ages, many so called primative tribes knew much about the stars and the workings of the universe that we are just starting to grasp once again through material science.

o right, like what?

Alate_One

Feel free to leave off the platitudes and talk about the physical evidence.
I did, why aren't you talking about it?

So you're not going to even try?
Why don't YOU try for a change? I bothered to go back and find the formation that produced the fossil. You find the relevant information and get back with us.

The specimen number is this: BMNHC PH881

And answer Flipper's question while you're at it.

I'd like you to give reason for your beliefs rather than using your conclusions as evidence. Show evidence that the environment was anoxic, not insist it must be so that preservation could occur slowly.
Lake sediments are typically anoxic after the first few inches. You'd know that if you'd ever had a biogeochemistry class. If it's lake sediment, it was likely anoxic after a relatively modest burial.

The water must have been removed quickly because, generally speaking, thing in water or in air do not get preserved. They decompose. And they do so quickly.
Did you see the bog body I posted? Preserved in water, anoxic, acidic water, so your blanket assertions are meaningless. And quite relevant since you keep telling us nothing can be preserved in water.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Till about 4000 years ago. There is evidence of them having walked along side man, and the bible is evidence of creation being young.

Have you ever noticed how the book of revelation is not in chronological order? Have you ever wondered if perhaps genesis is not either?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yr wlcm.

I did, why aren't you talking about it?
Because we have a piece of evidence to discuss. One more direct and less prone to the vagaries of the presuppositions that lie behind it. If we look at a creature that was fossilised, we are far more likely to discover something about its origins than if we look at large-scale geomorphological features.

Quit cluttering the place up with pretty pictures and discuss the issue at hand. :thumb:

Why don't YOU try for a change? I bothered to go back and find the formation that produced the fossil. You find the relevant information and get back with us.
Sure! :up:

Here you go:
Something violent clearly happened quickly in order to stamp the previously living organism into its fossilised form. The only way to retain articulation and prevent decomposition is to stamp the organism quickly flat and then quickly remove all the water. The water needs to have had an excess of a cementing agent.

And answer Flipper's question while you're at it.
Who? :idunno:

Lake sediments are typically anoxic after the first few inches. You'd know that if you'd ever had a biogeochemistry class. If it's lake sediment, it was likely anoxic after a relatively modest burial.
Which took how long?

Did you see the bog body I posted? Preserved in water, anoxic, acidic water, so your blanket assertions are meaningless. And quite relevant since you keep telling us nothing can be preserved in water.

Why must you so misrepresent what was clearly written?

"generally speaking, things in water or in air do not get preserved"

What part of that made you think nothing could ever be preserved in water?

You still say nothing about where the water went or how it all happened so fast.

And you've said nothing about cementing agents.

Last edited:

Caino

BANNED
Banned
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 13th, 2012 12:33 PM

toldailytopic: How many years ago did dinosaurs walk the earth? And how do we know that?

050324_trex_softtissue_hlg10a.hlarge.jpg

Soft tissue from dinosaur bones? How could that be?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

60,000,000+

The planet is about 4.5 +/- billion years old.

Man is about 1,000,000 years old.

Caino

sangrida7

I'm just curious as to why there is a post concerning archeology on a forum that is supposed to be about theology. The only reason I could think of is that it offers some bastion of comfort to young earth creationists whose beliefs generally contradict evolutionary biology. Concerning this fossil, the debate lies in the realm of archeology and fossilization methods. The article that was cited in the original post comes from a Christian website, and is thus very biased. After I myself read the national geographic article it is clear that the fossil record is riddled with problems and there is no consensus among biologists that this is in fact t. Rex soft tissue. If dinosaurs did exist 10,000 years ago there would be so much tangible evidence supporting it there would be no controversy. And may I also note that even if abiogenesis was turned on its head by this it would do no service toward supporting the existence of god.

alwight

@sangrida7
Hi, I think you'll find that this particular T-Rex has featured here several times already. Creationists think they can smell fresh meat but you will find one or two more sensible people here who do battle with them as futile as that is. :)

sangrida7

@alwight,
Thanks for enlightening me to the fact that it is possible for an atheist to exist on this forum, and that I am not the only one. I'm going to look forward to not being the only rational voice in some of these discussions.

alwight

@alwight,
Thanks for enlightening me to the fact that it is possible for an atheist to exist on this forum, and that I am not the only one. I'm going to look forward to not being the only rational voice in some of these discussions.
I think you'll find that most of the theists here are indeed quite used to atheists except perhaps the ones who dwell mostly in the ECT section (Exclusively Christian Theology), who can be a bit touchy. Saying much other than "oops sorry wrong forum" there will probably bring a righteous retribution.
One or two Christians here btw can pass for quite rational at times too imo so don't jump to conclusions.
:e4e:

sangrida7

Thanks for the information. I am new to this forum so it helps to know what to expect from the people. I appreciate it.

SilenceInMotion

BANNED
Banned
All data shows that dinosaurs last walked the Earth over 65 million years ago. There has even been found a gigantic crater that proves the old theory that there was a comet impact around that time, more then big enough to destroy them.
There are records, dating, and entire libraries of research and consolidated data.

The tree of life is old just like the Earth itself.
Notice in Eden..

The creationist view is a dumbed down interpretation of Genesis by stubborn Christians. Go ahead and take it literally, and tell me how God made light before the sun and stars.
Notice the Big Bang theory..

It is simply asinine to believe dinosaurs walked the Earth 4000 years ago. I'm almost in shock that people would want someone of that persuasion such as Sarah Palin have a gambit in any intelligible affairs, let alone presidency.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
All data shows that dinosaurs last walked the Earth over 65 million years ago. There has even been found a gigantic crater that proves the old theory that there was a comet impact around that time, more then big enough to destroy them. There are records, dating, and entire libraries of research and consolidated data.The tree of life is old just like the Earth itself. Notice in Eden..The creationist view is a dumbed down interpretation of Genesis by stubborn Christians. Go ahead and take it literally, and tell me how God made light before the sun and stars. Notice the Big Bang theory..It is simply asinine to believe dinosaurs walked the Earth 4000 years ago. I'm almost in shock that people would want someone of that persuasion such as Sarah Palin have a gambit in any intelligible affairs, let alone presidency.

Evolutionists love to talk about how the data and evidence exists for their ideas, but when it comes to actually discussing the data and evidence....