toldailytopic: How many years ago did dinosaurs walk the earth? And how do we know th

Alate_One

Instead of parading a pile of assertions, how about you take a shot at interpreting the evidence:
There you go again. You made a boatload of actual assertions. Everything I said is based on evidence if you'd like to discuss it.

How did this bird come to be fossilised in the state we found it?
There's an assertion, why is it a bird?

Is this a bird?

Microraptor.jpg

What killed it? How was it flattened? Where did the cementing agent come from? Where did the water go?
How do we know there's water involved by just looking at a fossil sans context?

How did it all happen so fast?
What is "all" and how do we know whatever "all" is, happened quickly?

If you're interested, this is the description of the formations in question.

The Yixian and Jiufotang Formations are called Lagerstatte, meaning that they have exceptionally good conditions for fossil preservation. The fossils are numerous, but also very well preserved - often including articulated skeletons, soft tissues, color patterns, stomach contents, and twigs with leaves and flowers still attached. Zhonghe Zhou et al.. (2003) deduced two things from this. The first is that the land animals and plants were washed into the lakes very gently, or were already in the lakes when they died. They do not show the damage seen in fossils formed by large floods. Second, volcanic ash is commonly interbedded with lake sediments, and ashfalls seem to have quickly buried the fossilized organisms, created anoxic conditions around them, and prevented scavenging.

In any case, all of these questions you ask have little or nothing to do with the K-T extinction event and how anything is known about it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There you go again. You made a boatload of actual assertions. Everything I said is based on evidence if you'd like to discuss it.

You are one of the worst perverts of the truth here. Have fun in hell. I will laugh at you as you shake your fist at God on your way down.

You provided no facts, and you know it.

SilenceInMotion

BANNED
Banned
Neg rep, general stupidity and mild retardation.

Really? It's 'general stupidity' to realize scientific data?

I would neg rep you, but Christians are not supposed to keep a record of debt.
Rather, I implore you to grow up. God raises children, you see. You should *raise*.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There you go again. You made a boatload of actual assertions.
I asked a boatload of questions.

Please learn to read carefully and accurately represent that which you wish to arbitrarily dismiss. :thumb:

Everything I said is based on evidence if you'd like to discuss it.
Everything you said was based upon the assumption of evolution. I asked questions about the evidence.

There's an assertion, why is it a bird?
:yawn:

Is this a bird?
:yawn:

How do we know there's water involved by just looking at a fossil sans context?
You can't make fossils without water.

What is "all" and how do we know whatever "all" is, happened quickly?
Fossilisation has to proceed quickly.

The Yixian and Jiufotang Formations are called Lagerstatte, meaning that they have exceptionally good conditions for fossil preservation. The fossils are numerous, but also very well preserved - often including articulated skeletons, soft tissues, color patterns, stomach contents, and twigs with leaves and flowers still attached. Zhonghe Zhou et al.. (2003) deduced two things from this. The first is that the land animals and plants were washed into the lakes very gently, or were already in the lakes when they died. They do not show the damage seen in fossils formed by large floods. Second, volcanic ash is commonly interbedded with lake sediments, and ashfalls seem to have quickly buried the fossilized organisms, created anoxic conditions around them, and prevented scavenging.

And this is something you deem acceptable?

What about the other questions?

What killed it? How was it flattened? Where did the cementing agent come from? Where did the water go? How did it all happen so fast?

In any case, all of these questions you ask have little or nothing to do with the K-T extinction event and how anything is known about it.
I prefer to not assume the truth of your wild ideas. :thumb:

alwight

You are one of the worst perverts of the truth here. Have fun in hell. I will laugh at you as you shake your fist at God on your way down.

Proof that dinosaurs called Nick still exist anyway.

Zeke

Dinosaurs walked the Earth millions of years ago. It is simply an undeniable fact.
The Earth is ancient.

Yep, the discovery of the great year (an ancient cycle of the Sun and its planets 2400 to 2500 years) and the different affects that has had on the earth and the many ages, many so called primative tribes knew much about the stars and the workings of the universe that we are just starting to grasp once again through material science.

Take also into consideration that the Orion Nebula is hidden in many church paintings by famous artists such as the creation of adam (atom) as is the zodiac in the last supper etc....the stuff the exoteric mind has been trained to fear as being from the devil, and accultic by the religions, they are the real myths that will pass when the age of knowing blossoms once again.

Alate_One

Given your hate filled posts on this site, I'd suggest you look to your own soul.

Matthew 7:15-20

15 “Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? 17 So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 So then, you will know them by their fruits.

Galatians 5:22-23

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

I don't know what god you worship but it apparently isn't the one of scripture, nor the one that created the universe.

How can posting what is part of God's creation merit a comment like this? "you demonic hell bound pig"

Your argument isn't with me, it's with creation and the God that made it.

Alate_One

So you have no answer or definition?

You can't make fossils without water.
Geology says otherwise.

What killed it?
I don't know. Why do you think it matters so much?

How was it flattened? Where did the cementing agent come from?
probably the layers of muddy lake bed interspersed with volcanic ash that were already mentioned.

Where did the water go? How did it all happen so fast?
Read the quote I already posted, again.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
I think the wood wasp and the Ginkgo are still on the look out for their buddies. These organisms lived contemporaneously with the dinosaurs according to the fossil record. They still exist today so why can't some dinosaurs still be alive today?

Ignoring of course the idea that the turkey we eat on Thanksgiving Day is a living dinosaur.

Edit: Here is more info about the Ginkgo.

Previous fossils revealed that Ginkgo species have remained unchanged for the past 51 million years, and that similar trees were alive and well 170 million years ago, during the Jurassic period....There is now little doubt that today's Gingko is a direct descendent of forebears that provided food for the dinosaurs.

Alate_One

I prefer to not assume the truth of your wild ideas.
So, well known basic geology and paleontology is now *my* wild ideas. This coming from someone that thinks hydroplates make sense. :chuckle:

How about we talk rationally about the original topic?

It is known that the K-T layer has a high proportion of Iridium, an element that is rare on earth but common in meteors.

A large meteor crater, dating to approximately 65 million years ago has been found near the Yucatan peninsula, Chicxulub

A map of the Gravitational anomalies.
220px-Chicxulub-gravity-anomaly-m.png

We know that the layers of rock younger than the K-T layer do not contain fossils of dinosaurs. They instead record a variety of mostly extinct mammals. There is also a spike of fern spores during and just after the boundary which is typical after a major natural disaster occurs (such as volcanic eruption).

fig5.gif

Figure 5. Fern-spore relative abundances from three K-T boundary localities in the Raton basin. Left: Starkville North section, Colorado. Middle: Sugarite section, New Mexico. Right: Raton Pass section, New Mexico. (Black = coal; white = mudstones and shales; xxxx = K-T boundary claystone; T = Tertiary; K = Cretaceous).

USGS online guide to the K-T boundary

Alate_One

I think the wood wasp and the Ginkgo are still on the look out for their buddies. These organisms lived contemporaneously with the dinosaurs according to the fossil record. They still exist today so why can't some dinosaurs still be alive today?
Because (non-avian) dinosaurs had body sizes over the threshold for anything that survived the K-T extinction. If there were any non-avian dinosaurs left they would have to be small, and I'd think we would have found them by now.

Also understand that the Ginkgo made it through the extinction just barely, surviving in a very small population in China which was preserved into the present day by humans. Before the K-T extinction, ginkgoes were found almost all over the planet but they appear to have been outcompeted during the rise of angiosperms (flowering plants).

As far as I know there are no truly naturally reproducing stands of Ginkgo left.

The wood wasp is new to me, but I suppose reproducing in recently burned wood is an excellent lifestyle to get through mass extinctions. :chuckle:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Geology says otherwise.
Geology can't talk.

I don't know. Why do you think it matters so much?
Knowing what killed something is the most important part of a forensic investigation. :duh:

probably the layers of muddy lake bed interspersed with volcanic ash that were already mentioned.
You think ash and mud squashed the fossil flat? :darwinsm:

Read the quote I already posted, again.
Your quote says nothing about where the water went or how it all happened so fast. :idunno:

Alate_One

Geology can't talk.
Sure it can.

Books and journal articles are written, scientists give talks, consensus on some topics is reached.

This all from analysis of physical material.

Knowing what killed something is the most important part of a forensic investigation.
From your questions you're more interested in how the fossil formed. How it died may be indicated by soft parts, which is rather hard to know when there's none left.

You think ash and mud squashed the fossil flat?
You may not have noticed but mud and ash are fairly heavy in large quantities.

Your quote says nothing about where the water went or how it all happened so fast. :idunno:
Something floats to the bottom and gets covered with sediment or ash.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This all from analysis of physical material.
So kindly leave off the platitudes and let the physical evidence do the "talking". :thumb:

From your questions you're more interested in how the fossil formed. How it died may be indicated by soft parts, which is rather hard to know when there's none left.
And what you're doing is avoiding the question.

You may not have noticed but mud and ash are fairly heavy in large quantities.
So you think large quantities of mud and ash were quickly dumped on this animal, then all the water removed?

Something floats to the bottom and gets covered with sediment or ash.
:AMR: Your mangled English still says nothing about where the water went or how it all happened so fast.

And you've said nothing about cementing agents.

Alate_One

So kindly leave off the platitudes and let the physical evidence do the "talking".
That's called geology. Scientists have been reporting the physical evidence for quite some time.

And what you're doing is avoiding the question.
I'm saying the question may not be able to be answered with the evidence we have. Get it?

So you think large quantities of mud and ash were quickly dumped on this animal, then all the water removed?
Why do you think the water needs to be removed quickly? If sediment is anoxic, little will decompose.

bog_feature.jpg
No fast burial here.

You can't have anything too violent happening with fossils like microraptor, since it's still articulated with feathers attached.

SilenceInMotion

BANNED
Banned
Proof that dinosaurs called Nick still exist anyway.

Be careful, it's against the rules to respond to being called a pervert and told to go to hell. Because everything those like Nick says is is true. God smiles upon people like Nick, because Jesus taught that one should be a mean spirited bigot.

?

I just joined this site and that guy's motor mouth has ran through my rep points and half my posts.