toldailytopic: A just war. What are some morally acceptable circumstances that might

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Depends on what projection you believe. The Allies thought many more would die, civilians and military included, if they were forced to fight street to street and house to house to subdue the Japanese. They'd shown remarkable bravery and tenacity in that sort of situation.
Yes, that is one view. And I've also heard the view that it wouldn't have come to that and that the Japanese were near surrender. I don't know which is nearer to the truth.

Regardless, you would have to rely on speculation and I don't think I can justify dropping an atomic bomb on thousands of innocent people because I have a theory on what might happen if we don't.

highlife

The problems come when you draft soldiers who dont think they are properly compensated for what they are being forced to do, thats where the looting comes. Also to make sure that everything is above board the soldiers bearing the brunt of the war should be extraordinarily compensated to the extent that they would if they were to loot. If a nation can not financially afford the war without such payment then they must allow looting since the nation they are looting is who we are defending ourselves from anyways. There must be rules for dividing up the spoils as well otherwise you will have disention among the ranks.

highlife

To the question, "Are you a pacifist?"

If you see someone being attacked, would you get involved to help the victim?

Most likely not becuase our nations laws may not support you, just look at the tryvon case, that was very clearly self defense and it caused an ignorant lynch mob against zimmerman which will undoubitly not workin zimmermans favor. I would only defend someone if I were prepared to also defend myself from persecution from police and the subsequent swat team, if I had the arms and training to take out a swat team (ie overwhelming high tech fire power, becuase they obviously train more than me) then sure but I refuse to be subject to the whims of prosecutors after im already in hand cuffs and can no longer defend myself.