THREE SPECIFIC REASONS FOR PARABOLIC TEACHING

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Perhaps a clean inner force cannot be corrupted by and unclean outside force except through deception, (concerning mankind). And perhaps a large portion of the war for understanding concerns the age old battle between "the flesh" and "the Spirit" understanding.

Jesus taught ALL in parables if we are to take the gospel accounts for their word.

He freely mixed and celebrated with the destitute, the homeless, the poor and the "cast-offs" of his day (refugees?). In other words, he ate and drank with "the unclean" of Jewish society. That's where Jesus saw God.

In his Parable of the Leaven, he turned the default world of convention upside down. A story of a woman (scandalous!) hiding a bit of yeast (leaven) in an oven full of dough is compared to the Kingdom of God.

But we need to look at context to understand the impact of Jesus's teachings. This is something traditional Christian churches never do...

"You are to observe the feast of unleavened bread, since on this very day you brought your people out of Egypt..."

"For seven days no leaven is to be found in your houses; for if anyone eats that which is leavened, that person will be expelled from the congregation of Israel."

Yeast or leaven was also prohibited in connection with sacrifices and meal offerings.

In Paul's letters to the Corinthian community he associates leaven with malice and evil and the unleavened with sincerity and truth.

Paul does that because he was steeped in the tradition that understood yeast or leaven to refer to corruption.

Jesus's Parable of the Good Samaritan, the Parable of the Mustard Seed, the Parable of the Prodigal Son demonstrate this same dichotomy of clean/unclean.

In other words, God is found in the unclean and the corrupt.

daqq

Jesus taught ALL in parables if we are to take the gospel accounts for their word.

He freely mixed and celebrated with the destitute, the homeless, the poor and the "cast-offs" of his day (refugees?). In other words, he ate and drank with "the unclean" of Jewish society. That's where Jesus saw God.

In his Parable of the Leaven, he turned the default world of convention upside down. A story of a woman (scandalous!) hiding a bit of yeast (leaven) in an oven full of dough is compared to the Kingdom of God.

But we need to look at context to understand the impact of Jesus's teachings. This is something traditional Christian churches never do...

"You are to observe the feast of unleavened bread, since on this very day you brought your people out of Egypt..."

"For seven days no leaven is to be found in your houses; for if anyone eats that which is leavened, that person will be expelled from the congregation of Israel."

Yeast or leaven was also prohibited in connection with sacrifices and meal offerings.

In Paul's letters to the Corinthian community he associates leaven with malice and evil and the unleavened with sincerity and truth.

Paul does that because he was steeped in the tradition that understood yeast or leaven to refer to corruption.

Jesus's Parable of the Good Samaritan, the Parable of the Mustard Seed, the Parable of the Prodigal Son demonstrate this same dichotomy of clean/unclean.

In other words, God is found in the unclean and the corrupt.

Everything was agreeable until your final statement. The point I take is not that "God is found in the unclean and corrupt" but rather that what man thinks is unclean and corrupt is not the same as what God says is unclean and corrupt. The statements of Paul show this to be the case: leaven is not about literal leaven working inside a lump of literal dough but rather malice and evil in the doctrines of the mind and heart, (the man is the lump whether concerning dough or clay). The OP himself displays a most perfect example herein, thinking himself to have been made clean, while what comes forth from his heart is clearly malice and evil speak toward others who disagree with his paradigm. His own doctrines have made him what he is on the inside; and the leopard cannot change his spots anymore than the Pharisee could clean the inside of his own whitewashed tomb.

2 Corinthians 6:15-17 KJV
15. And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16. And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

James 4:7-8 KJV
7. Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
8. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

These things are supernal and internal. :)

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Everything was agreeable until your final statement. The point I take is not that "God is found in the unclean and corrupt" but rather that what man thinks is unclean and corrupt is not the same as what God says is unclean and corrupt. The statements of Paul show this to be the case: leaven is not about literal leaven working inside a lump of literal dough but rather malice and evil in the doctrines of the mind and heart, (the man is the lump whether concerning dough or clay). The OP himself displays a most perfect example herein, thinking himself to have been made clean, while what comes forth from his heart is clearly malice and evil speak toward others who disagree with his paradigm. His own doctrines have made him what he is on the inside; and the leopard cannot change his spots anymore than the Pharisee could clean the inside of his own whitewashed tomb. :)

The Samaritans were seen as unclean and untouchable by most Jews in Jesus's day.

Leaven or yeast was seen as corrupt.

The mustard plant was unclean, for it was in reality a noxious weed that could quickly take over a farmer's garden and ruin the crops.

The celebratory meal with all was lampooned by Jesus's parable that showed God's guests should be picked from the people in the streets, not from the invited, more well-off guests who bowed out of the celebration.

The workers who started their day in the early morning and those who came to work just before quitting time are given the same reward by the master.

Over and over and over again Jesus is embracing the bad and the corrupt and bringing them and us into the healing we all took on birth for.

Jesus disturbed the world of his time, just as he does our world today.

This is why he was killed!

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Everything was agreeable until your final statement. The point I take is not that "God is found in the unclean and corrupt" but rather that what man thinks is unclean and corrupt is not the same as what God says is unclean and corrupt. The statements of Paul show this to be the case: leaven is not about literal leaven working inside a lump of literal dough but rather malice and evil in the doctrines of the mind and heart, (the man is the lump whether concerning dough or clay). The OP himself displays a most perfect example herein, thinking himself to have been made clean, while what comes forth from his heart is clearly malice and evil speak toward others who disagree with his paradigm. His own doctrines have made him what he is on the inside; and the leopard cannot change his spots anymore than the Pharisee could clean the inside of his own whitewashed tomb.

2 Corinthians 6:15-17 KJV
15. And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16. And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

James 4:7-8 KJV
7. Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
8. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

These things are supernal and internal. :)
Where do you find YOUR God?

In Caesar and the Roman Empire?
In the rich or the righteous?
In the tenets of your own church and synagogues?

Or in the everyday world of spinning lilies, birds and foxes and fig trees?
Or in the helpless infant, a peasant born in poverty?
Or in the lame, the destitute, the poor and the human "trash"?
Or in the words and deeds of Jesus of Nazareth?

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
2Cor 3:6 has failed to remove the scales/veil from you're conscience that is chasing historic phantoms that haunt a religious mind full of thunder and smoke, which represent shadows instead of substance.

72216fc57918b9ec8ae2c5b289ec307b.jpg

Ah geek

daqq

Where do you find YOUR God?

In Caesar and the Roman Empire?
In the rich or the righteous?
In the tenets of your own church and synagogues?

Or in the everyday world of spinning lilies, birds and foxes and fig trees?
Or in the helpless infant, a peasant born in poverty?
Or in the lame, the destitute, the poor and the human "trash"?
Or in the words and deeds of Jesus of Nazareth?

I have already been showing you how I understand God from what I post from His word. Have you been reading what things I post? In addition the idea of "human trash" would have never even crossed my mind if you had not mentioned it because in my mindset the creation of God is not trash. In addition what Peter learned in the vision just before the events concerning Cornelius is good enough for me:

Acts 10:28 KJV
28. And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

This word for unclean is the same used in the Gospel accounts for unclean spirits. When you say that humans are unclean you cause offense. That is a great portion of the whole point: the Jews considered Gentiles "unclean" because of outward practices, (one could become "defiled" in that mindset simply by accidental or incidental contact at the marketplace). However, on the inside, every man is the same; and the man is not his body, which body is nothing more than a temporary earthen vessel. The earthen vessel may be corrupted, cracked, stained, broken, or even have "leprosy growing in its walls", but the man is the treasure inside the vessel.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I have already been showing you how I understand God from what I post from His word. Have you been reading what things I post?
Yes, I know. And I read every word.

I am not saying you are wrong. What I AM saying is that Jesus compared God as dwelling in the unclean and the corrupt. I am sharing information and you should make your own best choice about how to deal with it.

In addition the idea of "human trash" would have never even crossed my mind if you had not mentioned it because in my mindset the creation of God is not trash...
Regarding other humans as “the other,” “less than” or “inhumane” is what I am talking about. When I am thinking racist thoughts, I see a black gang of high school friends as something dangerous: as humans who should be “away from my sight.”

Being racist myself, I am all-too-aware of how that racism prevents me from seeing others as my own brothers and sisters of God.

This word for unclean is the same used in the Gospel accounts for unclean spirits. When you say that humans are unclean you cause offense. That is a great portion of the whole point: the Jews considered Gentiles "unclean" because of outward practices, (one could become "defiled" in that mindset simply by accidental or incidental contact at the marketplace). However, on the inside, every man is the same; and the man is not his body, which body is nothing more than a temporary earthen vessel. The earthen vessel may be corrupted, cracked, stained, broken, or even have "leprosy growing in its walls", but the man is the treasure inside the vessel.

You are right about the ancient theology of unclean spirits lurking about in the ancient world. But the line between clean and unclean goes down the center of every human heart. This is why, in my view, Jesus told his critics that if he were indeed working for the devil the effect of his deeds and words was driving out the devil and showing him to be impotent.

I agree with you absolutely about the “heart” being the treasure of humanity. But I also know that the concept of a divine soul in a perishable body comes from the Greeks, not the Jews. Christians have elevated this once-pagan idea to a place of honor in their theology.

I guess what I am saying is that your metaphor is persuasive to me.

Last edited:

daqq

I am sharing information and you should make your own best choice about how to deal with it.

Regarding other humans as “the other,” “less than” or “inhumane” is what I am talking about. When I am thinking racist thoughts, I see a black gang of high school friends as something dangerous: as humans who should be “away from my sight.”

Being racist myself, I am all-too-aware of how that racism prevents me from seeing others as my own brothers and sisters of God.

Nah I don't read any of dapp's drap. Broken record

Yea, the kingdom of Elohim is like leaven: if one gets to close, having the heart of a Philistine, tumorous emerods of `ophelim-mounds will develope and begin to fester in his secret parts to plague him, (1 Samuel 5:9). But the one whose heart is upright will dwell in the holy Mount, `Ophel. :chuckle:

daqq

Nah I don't read any of dapp's drap. Broken record

Speaking of broken records:

"I Am Leaving - - April 12th, 2014, 09:53 PM"
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100642

:rotfl:

That has to be the longest goodbye I have ever seen and yet here you are!

Still trying to rebuild temples made with hands in the past and future? that allegorically represent the condition of the inner kingdom of God in Adam Luke 17:20-21.

:thumb:

Matthew 18:20 KJV ~ mesos
Luke 17:21 KJV ~ entos

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Parables transmit spiritual truth without arousing antagonisms. Its a way to disarm defenses of the sincere truth seeker, when new truth is in conflict with old ideas. But for those who petrify truth in crystalized dogma and doctrine, they are left baffled or angry.

iouae

Parables transmit spiritual truth without arousing antagonisms. Its a way to disarm defenses of the sincere truth seeker, when new truth is in conflict with old ideas. But for those who petrify truth in crystalized dogma and doctrine, they are left baffled or angry.

I agree fully.

Jesus was inordinately fond of parables which are com-parables or comparing one thing to another. He loves simile, metaphor and symbolism which are similar to parables. Christ compares some everyday situation to some spiritual situation. E.g. a sower sowing seed = a disciple sowing the Gospel. A fisherman catching fish = a disciple fishing for men.

It is a great way of teaching.

I would love to hear Christ tell a modern parable, if He had come to this generation.

The kingdom of heaven is like unto a man taking part in the Tour de France. For many years this man won the race and was esteemed by all. Then it was found that he had cheated by doping, and all that he seemed to have achieved was stripped from him.

Verily I tell you it is the same with the Kingdom of Heaven. Many in this life look like winners, but will be considered as losers in the kingdom, because they did not compete lawfully.

daqq

I agree fully.

Jesus was inordinately fond of parables which are com-parables or comparing one thing to another. He loves simile, metaphor and symbolism which are similar to parables. Christ compares some everyday situation to some spiritual situation. E.g. a sower sowing seed = a disciple sowing the Gospel. A fisherman catching fish = a disciple fishing for men.

It is a great way of teaching.

I would love to hear Christ tell a modern parable, if He had come to this generation.

The kingdom of heaven is like unto a man taking part in the Tour de France. For many years this man won the race and was esteemed by all. Then it was found that he had cheated by doping, and all that he seemed to have achieved was stripped from him.

Verily I tell you it is the same with the Kingdom of Heaven. Many in this life look like winners, but will be considered as losers in the kingdom, because they did not compete lawfully.

There was a gladiator locked up by his mortal enemy inside his own house while the enemy set his house on fire and left him to die in the ensuing inferno. The gladiator from within drew his sword in his house and thrust it into the wall, forcing and hacking a quick opening through the wall of his own house, and freed himself from the fiery inferno of his house. The gladiator then went off a distance and stood upon a hill to watch the destruction of his house: with tears in his eyes he watched as his beloved mortal enemy burned down to the gound, it was not a fire to be warmed by. :)

iouae

There was a gladiator locked up by his mortal enemy inside his own house while the enemy set his house on fire and left him to die in the ensuing inferno. The gladiator from within drew his sword in his house and thrust it into the wall, forcing and hacking a quick opening through the wall of his own house, and freed himself from the fiery inferno of his house. The gladiator then went off a distance and stood upon a hill to watch the destruction of his house: with tears in his eyes he watched as his beloved mortal enemy burned down to the gound, it was not a fire to be warmed by. :)

You love your riddles Daqq. This was a pretty good one too. Thanks. :)

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Three Specific Reasons for Parabolic Teaching

1. Firstly, for the disciples it will be for the purpose of ILLUSTRATING the truth. However, they don't understand the parables until Jesus explains them.

Look at Mark 4: 34, and notice that privately, Jesus explained the meaning of the parables to His disciples. This is now His basic pattern, from the time of the unforgivable sin and onward.

2. Secondly, for the masses the purpose will be to HIDE the truth.

3. Thirdly, to fulfill the prophecy that at some point Messiah will begin speaking in parables.

Look at Matthew 13:34-35. Notice that Jesus begins to speak parabolically only in public - “without a parable spake He nothing unto them.” This is also in fulfillment of Isaiah 6:9-10, as referenced by Jesus in Matthew 13:15.

Let's look at the context in which Jesus teaches the parables. In light of the fact that Israel has just now rejected Jesus as Messiah, and thereby the Messianic Kingdom, Jesus' purpose for the parables is to teach His disciples what God's plan will NOW be in regard to His Kingdom program.

The parables are more than what they seem at first glance; taken as a unit they lay out the workings of the Kingdom. They are not just a random gathering of illustrations, they are a COHESIVE PACKAGE OF INSTRUCTION regarding the different aspects of the Mystery Kingdom.

Refer to the chart: Diagrammatic Representation of the Facets of the Kingdom of God.

The Kingdom of God has five facets

Jesus' statement to the disciples in Matthew 13:11 “to you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the Kingdom of Heaven, but to them it has not been granted,” will be illustrated to them by the use of the parables.

The phrases “the Kingdom of God” and “the Kingdom of Heaven” are synonymous. The only gospel writer to use “the Kingdom of Heaven” is Matthew, and he does so to avoid offending Jewish sensibilities.

Why do you think it would offend the Jews to use “the Kingdom of God?” Jews do not like to pronounce the name of God (YHVH). Jewish people use substitute titles, such as Adonai (the Lord), or Hashem (the name), or a combination of the two Adoshem (the Lord of the Name). Another substitute for the name of God is the word for heaven (Shemaim). Many Jews won't even spell out the word God. They use G-d.

The parables will reveal a new facet of God's Kingdom Program, the Mystery Kingdom.

To get the comprehensive picture, let's look at the totality of what makes up the Kingdom of God. Again, there are FIVE facets of the Kingdom of God.

Yea, let's talk about something relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

daqq

You love your riddles Daqq. This was a pretty good one too. Thanks. :)

It is a body-temple riddle: every man has his house, (whether the exterior walls are decorated in the male or female gender), but the man inside is not actually his house because the house, as all things material, is only temporary. However, in the age that is to come, there is no temple in the holy city because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple thereof. But first will come the consummation of your first age, (there be four generations to the first age of the man), and with the consummation of your fourth generation will come the final battle of Gog and Magog: it will not be a fire to be warmed by, and yet the weapons of your enemy will become fuel for holy fire in your service of the King. :)

intojoy

BANNED
Banned

1. Firstly, for the disciples it will be for the purpose of ILLUSTRATING the truth. However, they don't understand the parables until Jesus explains them.

Look at Mark 4: 34, and notice that privately, Jesus explained the meaning of the parables to His disciples. This is now His basic pattern, from the time of the unforgivable sin and onward.

3. Thirdly, to fulfill the prophecy that at some point Messiah will begin speaking in parables.

Look at Matthew 13:34-35. Notice that Jesus begins to speak parabolically only in public - “without a parable spake He nothing unto them.” This is also in fulfillment of Isaiah 6:9-10, as referenced by Jesus in Matthew 13:15.

Let's look at the context in which Jesus teaches the parables. In light of the fact that Israel has just now rejected Jesus as Messiah, and thereby the Messianic Kingdom, Jesus' purpose for the parables is to teach His disciples what God's plan will NOW be in regard to His Kingdom program.

The parables are more than what they seem at first glance; taken as a unit they lay out the workings of the Kingdom. They are not just a random gathering of illustrations, they are a COHESIVE PACKAGE OF INSTRUCTION regarding the different aspects of the Mystery Kingdom.

Refer to the chart: Diagrammatic Representation of the Facets of the Kingdom of God.

Jesus' statement to the disciples in Matthew 13:11 “to you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the Kingdom of Heaven, but to them it has not been granted,” will be illustrated to them by the use of the parables.

The phrases “the Kingdom of God” and “the Kingdom of Heaven” are synonymous. The only gospel writer to use “the Kingdom of Heaven” is Matthew, and he does so to avoid offending Jewish sensibilities.

Why do you think it would offend the Jews to use “the Kingdom of God?” Jews do not like to pronounce the name of God (YHVH). Jewish people use substitute titles, such as Adonai (the Lord), or Hashem (the name), or a combination of the two Adoshem (the Lord of the Name). Another substitute for the name of God is the word for heaven (Shemaim). Many Jews won't even spell out the word God. They use G-d.

The parables will reveal a new facet of God's Kingdom Program, the Mystery Kingdom.

To get the comprehensive picture, let's look at the totality of what makes up the Kingdom of God. Again, there are FIVE facets of the Kingdom of God.

Best thread to date.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Truster

The light you may have is continually diminished by your acts of stupidity. Act like a fool and you'll be seen as a fool. Pretending to be a fool is an action of gross impiety.