ECT "This Generation"

Interplanner

You claim Ezekiel 37 was fulfilled in Christ Jesus.

A living temple AKA a body was/is being built, Eph 2-3.

With 2500 uses of the OT by the NT, why build a case on a passage the apostles were NOT taught to use by Christ?

That is what is so insidious about D'ism. The science of how the NT uses the OT is non-existent.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It has been shown that "this generation" does not have to refer to the people living at the time.

But there are other clues that would lead one to question it.

Jesus says no one will know the time it happens until it is upon you, except the Father.
Jesus also says they will not know the time of the restoration of the kingdom, a time also known only by the Father.

So, either they are given the time-frame or they are not.
Scripture says they are not.
For "this generation" to be speaking of only those living at the time, then Jesus contradicted what He has already said in the same conversation about the time-frame.

Do you not find it a bit odd that Jesus would tell them they cannot know the time-frame, and then in the same breath give them the time-frame?

Interplanner

It has been shown that "this generation" does not have to refer to the people living at the time.

Jesus says no one will know the time it happens until it is upon you, except the Father.
Jesus also says they will not know the time of the restoration of the kingdom, a time also known only by the Father.

For "this generation" to be speaking of only those living at the time, then Jesus contradicted what He has already said in the same conversation about the time-frame.

Do you not find it a bit odd that Jesus would tell them they cannot know the time-frame, and then in the same breath give them the time-frame?

"It has been shown..." Right; off in some 'lab' someplace! In the context and force of the declarations he gave, it REALLY mattered to them right then. Either because he was launching his mission, or because he needed to protect his new community of believers from harm, or because was explaining that the 490 years was done and over and the desolation was to fall.

He did not validate their questions; his answer is more like we would say 'none of your business.'

Because the business of the believers is not prognostication! It is the mission.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Neither you, nor anyone else has shown that.

What you and others have done, is try to make the phrase mean something it does not.

EVERY TIME Jesus used the phrase "This Generation" prior to Luke 21:32, it referred to the Jewish generation of Jesus' contemporaries.

That refers to the Feast of Trumpets.

Do a study on the Feast of Trumpets, and you will find out what "no one knows the day or hour" really means.

Because it happens at the same time of His coming.

They were told some would not taste death, and they were told they would all not pass away before those things would take place, including His coming.

Absolutely not.

There is no contradiction whatsoever.

There was a time frame.

The time frame was before they all passed away.

Again, do a study on "no one knows the day or hour".

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Neither you, nor anyone else has shown that.
Sure we have.
And scholars of the Greek language agree.

You are the one that only uses the word (genera) to have only one strict limited definition.
The word itself does not have to mean those living at the same time.
That's just some blind stubbornness from Darby hating preterists so they can deny that God will keep His promises to Israel.

Matthew 23:39 KJV
(39) For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

Does that sound anything like what Israel was saying during the attack of the Roman Army?
Hardly.

Interplanner

Tam wrote:
so they can deny that God will keep His promises to Israel.

They don't. Acts 13:33. Gal 3. Ever read Gal 3? 2 Cor 1. Acts 26.

You mean the land and the NT never validates that. It never validates a restored old covenant or theocracy based on Judaism. Not a fragment.

Interplanner

Tam wrote:
Does that sound anything like what Israel was saying during the attack of the Roman Army?
Hardly.

You've completely wrenched the gears.

The expression WAS sung during the 'triumphal entry.' Those who sang it did so because they knew the Gospel; the Pharaisees etc scorned the use of the psalm for that.

After that, anyone who understands the Gospel sings the psalm properly.

He did not mean they would enjoy the coming of his wrath, sheesh.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Matthew 23:39 KJV
(39) For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

Hardly.

Once again, your ignorance of the OT shows.

"Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord" is what the Jews who lived in Jerusalem sang when they lined the streets while the Jews/Israelites who lived abroad came to Jerusalem for the three pilgrimage feasts.

It's from Psalm 118:26

(Psalm 118:26) Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD. From the house of the LORD we bless you.

Do your homework, and figure out when and what was the next pilgrimage feast after Matt 23:39

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The word itself does not have to mean those living at the same time.

Get yourself a concordance, and look at each time Jesus used it up to and including Luke 21.
That's just some blind stubbornness from Darby hating preterists so they can deny that God will keep His promises to Israel.

The promises were fulfilled in Christ Jesus.

Christ Jesus is the answer, not John Nelson Darby.

You need to let go of Darby's false teachings, and believe what the Bible says.

john w

Hall of Fame
Get yourself a concordance, and look at each time Jesus used it up to and including Luke 21.

The promises were fulfilled in Christ Jesus.

Christ Jesus is the answer, not John Nelson Darby.

You need to let go of Darby's false teachings, and believe what the Bible says.
Spam, from the admitted hater of the Jewish people, anti-Semite, Josephus/Russell/Hanegraaf follower.

"The promises were fulfilled in Christ Jesus"-spam, that he "answers" any question re. prophecy.

You pathetic loser.

"Christ Jesus is the answer, not John Nelson Darby."

Oh, that's really cute, a stunner, you obsessed psychopath, and admitted perverter, satan follower, per:

"….You can't deny the New Covenant, and at the same time claim to adhere to Paul's gospel"-devil boy Craigie

Vs.

"I never said someone was saved or not saved based on whether or not they believe the NC is in place today
."-Tellalie

ClimateSanity

Christ Jesus is the answer to what? Forrest Gump got a similar question from lieutenant Dan..... Have you found Jesus Gump? I didn't know he was lost....Gump.

Christ is the answer to a lost world...he isn't the answer to bible interpretation as far as replacing every literal prophecy with him. These promises were not concerning him and it makes God an unreliable to have him just declare specific literal promises null and void because Christ died for our sins.

Interplanner

Christ Jesus is the answer to what? Forrest Gump got a similar question from lieutenant Dan..... Have you found Jesus Gump? I didn't know he was lost....Gump.

Christ is the answer to a lost world...he isn't the answer to bible interpretation as far as replacing every literal prophecy with him. These promises were not concerning him and it makes God an unreliable to have him just declare specific literal promises null and void because Christ died for our sins.

on the question of unreliability, one of the reasons I value the historical approach (like Acts 13:33) is that the modern 'fulfillment' view is so unreliable. Nothing is happening as explained. Lindsey banked everything on 1988 and its been a flop ever since (1948 + 40).

You've got to really absorb Acts 13's sermon to know how Paul thought about his people's history and how it culminated in the resurrection of Christ.

way 2 go

Dispensationalists have been hawking this verse to refer to the formation of Israel as a nation indicating end times for many years.

However, 1949 was 67 years ago. 1967 was 49 years ago. 1973 was 43 years ago. A "generation" was at most 40 years to Christ, which is why we had "88 reasons Christ will return in 1988" and "89 reasons Christ will return in 1989", and other false prophecies regarding the end times.

The time frame for "this generation" has run out.

Thus, dispensationalists must have some other definition for "this generation." Perhaps one of them would like to tell us. At this point, I have really no other recourse other than to consider dispensationalism dead.

Luk 21:32 Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all has taken place.

this generation means the generation he was talking to.

Jer 18:9 And if at any time I declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it,
Jer 18:10 and if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will relent of the good that I had intended to do to it.

example:
Jon 3:4 Jonah began to go into the city, going a day's journey. And he called out, "Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!"

Jon 3:9 Who knows? God may turn and relent and turn from his fierce anger, so that we may not perish."
Jon 3:10 When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil way, God relented of the disaster that he had said he would do to them, and he did not do it.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Luk 21:32 Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all has taken place.

this generation means the generation he was talking to.

Jer 18:9 And if at any time I declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it,
Jer 18:10 and if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will relent of the good that I had intended to do to it.

example:
Jon 3:4 Jonah began to go into the city, going a day's journey. And he called out, "Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!"

Jon 3:9 Who knows? God may turn and relent and turn from his fierce anger, so that we may not perish."
Jon 3:10 When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil way, God relented of the disaster that he had said he would do to them, and he did not do it.

No.

Mat 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

The wicked are still with us.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
on the question of unreliability, one of the reasons I value the historical approach (like Acts 13:33) is that the modern 'fulfillment' view is so unreliable. Nothing is happening as explained. Lindsey banked everything on 1988 and its been a flop ever since (1948 + 40).

You've got to really absorb Acts 13's sermon to know how Paul thought about his people's history and how it culminated in the resurrection of Christ.

Why throw the baby out with the bath water?

Gods Israel of the thousand years are the great multitude of Rev.ch 7 and they are not in Heaven when john sees them.

They are the fulfillment of Gods promises to Abraham and His seed (Christ).

They are the children of the Bride in their old age, under the same covenant the Bride began in.

Isaiah ch 49.

Isa 49:18 Lift up thine eyes round about, and behold: all these gather themselves together, and come to thee. As I live, saith the LORD, thou shalt surely clothe thee with them all, as with an ornament, and bind them on thee, as a bride doeth.
Isa 49:19 For thy waste and thy desolate places, and the land of thy destruction, shall even now be too narrow by reason of the inhabitants, and they that swallowed thee up shall be far away.
Isa 49:20 The children which thou shalt have, after thou hast lost the other, shall say again in thine ears, The place is too strait for me: give place to me that I may dwell.
Isa 49:21 Then shalt thou say in thine heart, Who hath begotten me these, seeing I have lost my children, and am desolate, a captive, and removing to and fro? and who hath brought up these? Behold, I was left alone; these, where had they been?
Isa 49:22 Thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I will lift up mine hand to the Gentiles, and set up my standard to the people: and they shall bring thy sons in their arms, and thy daughters shall be carried upon their shoulders.
Isa 49:23 And kings shall be thy nursing fathers, and their queens thy nursing mothers: they shall bow down to thee with their face toward the earth, and lick up the dust of thy feet; and thou shalt know that I am the LORD: for they shall not be ashamed that wait for me.

Rev 7:13 And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they?
Rev 7:14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
Rev 7:15 Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them.
Rev 7:16 They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat.
Rev 7:17 For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.

LA

themuzicman

No.

Mat 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

The wicked are still with us.

LA

There's no promise that they will go away, here.

Jesus is referring to the generation that would crucify Him.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
G1074
γενεά
genea
Thayer Definition:
1) fathered, birth, nativity
2) that which has been begotten, men of the same stock, a family
2a) the several ranks of natural descent, the successive members of a genealogy​
2b) metaphorically a group of men very like each other in endowments, pursuits, character​
2b1) especially in a bad sense, a perverse nation​
3) the whole multitude of men living at the same time
4) an age (i.e. the time ordinarily occupied be each successive generation), a space of 30 - 33 years
Part of Speech: noun feminine
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from (a presumed derivative of) G1085

G1085
γένος​
genos​
Thayer Definition:
1) kindred​
1a) offspring​
1b) family​
1c) stock, tribe, nation​
1c1) i.e. nationality or descent from a particular people​
1d) the aggregate of many individuals of the same nature, kind, sort​
Part of Speech: noun neuter​
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G1096​

Same in the OT.
Does not always have the meaning of those living at the time.

Psalms 112:2 KJV
(2) His seed shall be mighty upon earth: the generation of the upright shall be blessed.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Dispensationalists have been hawking this verse to refer to the formation of Israel as a nation indicating end times for many years.

However, 1949 was 67 years ago. 1967 was 49 years ago. 1973 was 43 years ago. A "generation" was at most 40 years to Christ, which is why we had "88 reasons Christ will return in 1988" and "89 reasons Christ will return in 1989", and other false prophecies regarding the end times.

The time frame for "this generation" has run out.

Thus, dispensationalists must have some other definition for "this generation." Perhaps one of them would like to tell us. At this point, I have really no other recourse other than to consider dispensationalism dead.

You must have a very high opinion of yourself and your opinions? Would you say, every conclusion that you come up with is 100% right on the money?