ECT Things known for ages--Acts 15

Jerry Shugart

What's the difference in these two scriptures?

Acts 3:18
But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.

Romans 16:25-26
Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, but now is made manifest, and BY THE SCRIPTURES OF THE PROPHETS, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

These two scriptures say the same thing - the things spoken in the prophets foretold the mystery of what God was going to do in Christ.

No, they do not say the same thing. Acts 3:18 says NOTHING about the fact that Christ died for our sins. Instead that verse says NOTHING about the purpose of His suffering. Let us look at this passage:

"Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Spirit sent down from heaven" (1 Pet.1:10-1).

Here Peter is saying that the prophets searched diligently in an effort to determine what the prophecies concerning Christ's suffering did signify but it was not revealed unto them. Even the Twelve Apostles, those closest to the Lord Jesus, did not realize that He was going to die (Lk.18:31-34) or be resurrected (Jn.20:9). They certainly did not know the "purpose" of the Cross, that "Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God" (1 Pet.3:18).

Right Divider

Body part
What's the difference in these two scriptures?

Acts 3:18
But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.

Romans 16:25-26
Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, but now is made manifest, and BY THE SCRIPTURES OF THE PROPHETS, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

These two scriptures say the same thing - the things spoken in the prophets foretold the mystery of what God was going to do in Christ.
The problem that you have, and you're not the only one, is that you read scripture with your "preconceived notion" glasses on. You need to read more carefully and without trying to force your preconceived notions onto the Bible.

Rom 16:25-26 (AKJV/PCE)
(16:25) Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the worldbegan, (16:26) But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

The AND by the scripture of the prophets is about being STABLISHED in Paul's gospel and is NOT about the mystery kept secret since the world began.

I know that some bend over backwards trying say that THIS mystery was BOTH in the scripture AND kept secret since the world began, but that's just plain and simple double-minded "thinking".

Paul's point is this:
His gospel includes BOTH this mystery kept secret since the world began AND everything that came before it that was spoken since the world began!

The gospels that came before were NOT the complete story of what God was going to do in all of human history.

This is ALSO why Paul says that God gave him the job of fulfilling the Word of God.

Col 1:19-29 (AKJV/PCE)
(1:19) For it pleased [the Father] that in him should all fulness dwell; (1:20) And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, [I say], whether [they be] things in earth, or things in heaven. (1:21) And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in [your] mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled (1:22) In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: (1:23) If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and [be] not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, [and] which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister; (1:24) Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church: (1:25) Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; (1:26) [Even] the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: (1:27) To whom God would make known what [is] the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: (1:28) Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: (1:29) Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

SimpleMan77

The problem that you have, and you're not the only one, is that you read scripture with your "preconceived notion" glasses on. You need to read more carefully and without trying to force your preconceived notions onto the Bible.

Rom 16:25-26 (AKJV/PCE)
(16:25) Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the worldbegan, (16:26) But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

The AND by the scripture of the prophets is about being STABLISHED in Paul's gospel and is NOT about the mystery kept secret since the world began.

I know that some bend over backwards trying say that THIS mystery was BOTH in the scripture AND kept secret since the world began, but that's just plain and simple double-minded "thinking".

Paul's point is this:
His gospel includes BOTH this mystery kept secret since the world began AND everything that came before it that was spoken since the world began!

The gospels that came before were NOT the complete story of what God was going to do in all of human history.

This is ALSO why Paul says that God gave him the job of fulfilling the Word of God.

Col 1:19-29 (AKJV/PCE)
(1:19) For it pleased [the Father] that in him should all fulness dwell; (1:20) And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, [I say], whether [they be] things in earth, or things in heaven. (1:21) And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in [your] mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled (1:22) In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: (1:23) If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and [be] not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, [and] which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister; (1:24) Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church: (1:25) Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; (1:26) [Even] the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: (1:27) To whom God would make known what [is] the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: (1:28) Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: (1:29) Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

So what you're saying is that Paul never used the scriptures of the prophets to preach the mystery? The many, many times he quoted the prophets as he expounded his revelation of the mystery day you are wrong.

Paul had a depth of revelation concerning the Gentiles that was unmatched by the other apostles. However, it was not AT ODDS with their message in the least.

Yes it was deeper, and yes, there were aspects that were new revelation, but absolutely none of it was contradictory to what they preached.

If I understand algebra and you understand algebra + calculus, you know new and deeper truths, but they do not contradict each other.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

SimpleMan77

No, they do not say the same thing. Acts 3:18 says NOTHING about the fact that Christ died for our sins. Instead that verse says NOTHING about the purpose of His suffering. Let us look at this passage:

"Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Spirit sent down from heaven" (1 Pet.1:10-1).

Here Peter is saying that the prophets searched diligently in an effort to determine what the prophecies concerning Christ's suffering did signify but it was not revealed unto them. Even the Twelve Apostles, those closest to the Lord Jesus, did not realize that He was going to die (Lk.18:31-34) or be resurrected (Jn.20:9). They certainly did not know the "purpose" of the Cross, that "Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God" (1 Pet.3:18).

I think it is safe to say that Peter did not understand the day after the resurrection why Jesus had died.

By the time Peter died, I would say that he understood a great deal about why Jesus had died.

It's called spiritual growth. Just because you know more after you have taken college level algebra than you do after you have taken pre-algebra doesn't mean that you are using different mathematical laws.

The fact that Peter had a deeper understanding at the end of his ministry than the beginning does not mean that it was a different dispensation.

Peter never preached something in the beginning of the book of Acts that was inconsistent with what either himself or Paul preached 30 and 40 years later.

DAN P

I think it is safe to say that Peter did not understand the day after the resurrection why Jesus had died.

By the time Peter died, I would say that he understood a great deal about why Jesus had died.

It's called spiritual growth. Just because you know more after you have taken college level algebra than you do after you have taken pre-algebra doesn't mean that you are using different mathematical laws.

The fact that Peter had a deeper understanding at the end of his ministry than the beginning does not mean that it was a different dispensation.

Peter never preached something in the beginning of the book of Acts that was inconsistent with what either himself or Paul preached 30 and 40 years later.

Hi and where do you see spiritual growth in Luke 24:15-28 all can see that only believed BECAUSE Jesus revealed Himself to them and also to the disciples !!

They did not understand what had happened !!

dan p

Right Divider

Body part
So what you're saying is that Paul never used the scriptures of the prophets to preach the mystery? The many, many times he quoted the prophets as he expounded his revelation of the mystery day you are wrong.
You're confusing two things. Stay confused if you want.

Paul had a depth of revelation concerning the Gentiles that was unmatched by the other apostles. However, it was not AT ODDS with their message in the least.
Like I told you, some of what Paul preached had ALREADY been revealed and SOME had not.

Yes it was deeper, and yes, there were aspects that were new revelation, but absolutely none of it was contradictory to what they preached.
I never said that it was contradictory, just different and UNKNOWN before the RISEN and ASCENDED LORD Jesus Christ gave it to Paul.

If I understand algebra and you understand algebra + calculus, you know new and deeper truths, but they do not contradict each other.
You're trying to beat up a straw-man, just like many here.

Rom 11:1-6 (AKJV/PCE)
(11:1) I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, [of] the tribe of Benjamin. (11:2) God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying, (11:3) Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. (11:4) But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to [the image of] Baal. (11:5) Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. (11:6) And if by grace, then [is it] no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if [it be] of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

SimpleMan77

You're confusing two things. Stay confused if you want.

Like I told you, some of what Paul preached had ALREADY been revealed and SOME had not.

I never said that it was contradictory, just different and UNKNOWN before the RISEN and ASCENDED LORD Jesus Christ gave it to Paul.

You're trying to beat up a straw-man, just like many here.

Rom 11:1-6 (AKJV/PCE)
(11:1) I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, [of] the tribe of Benjamin. (11:2) God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying, (11:3) Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. (11:4) But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to [the image of] Baal. (11:5) Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. (11:6) And if by grace, then [is it] no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if [it be] of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

This remnant was already a remnant at the time of the ascension. Jesus told his disciples that they would be rejected just like He was. He never expected the nation of Israel to accept His apostles.

Whatever covenant was or was not implemented at Calvary is THE EXACT one that is in place today. THE EXACT ONE!!

There is not one shred of evidence that Jesus expected the Jews as a nation to accept His disciples after His resurrection.

Right Divider

Body part
This remnant was already a remnant at the time of the ascension. Jesus told his disciples that they would be rejected just like He was. He never expected the nation of Israel to accept His apostles.
Please feel free to show us all where Jesus told THEM the things that I just showed YOU from Romans; particularly Romans 11:6

Whatever covenant was or was not implemented at Calvary is THE EXACT one that is in place today. THE EXACT ONE!!
  • The new covenant was NOT in place at that time.
  • The new covenant is NOT in place today.
  • The new covenant is between God and Israel, just like the one that God made with their fathers in the day that He took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt (Jer 31:32).
  • The body of Christ is saved by grace through faith without Israel's covenants.
  • Today Israel needs to join the BODY if they want to be saved.
  • "Whatever covenant was or was not implemented at Calvary", that's lacking a lot of clarity.

There is not one shred of evidence that Jesus expected the Jews as a nation to accept His disciples after His resurrection.
:juggle:
I guess that the whole "holy nation, royal priesthood" thing was another one of those things that Peter did not understand correctly?

SimpleMan77

Please feel free to show us all where Jesus told THEM the things that I just showed YOU from Romans; particularly Romans 11:6

• The new covenant was NOT in place at that time.
  • The new covenant is NOT in place today.
  • The new covenant is between God and Israel, just like the one that God made with their fathers in the day that He took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt (Jer 31:32).
  • The body of Christ is saved by grace through faith without Israel's covenants.
  • Today Israel needs to join the BODY if they want to be saved.
  • "Whatever covenant was or was not implemented at Calvary", that's lacking a lot of clarity.

:juggle:
I guess that the whole "holy nation, royal priesthood" thing was another one of those things that Peter did not understand correctly?

I get tired of this, so I'll disengage.

Jesus did not tell them everything - He was so confident of His plan (to come back as the Holy Spirit and lead them into all truth) that He was willing to leave without them understanding His plan fully. He knew that once they were indwelt by the Holy Ghost, and as the Holy Ghost led them step-by-step, they'd understand His plan and purpose fully.

Of course Israel has to join the Body of Christ if they want to be saved. That was true when Peter preached on the day of Pentecost. He didn't use those words, but he pointed to "the gift of the Holy Ghost". What does the Holy Ghost do? It baptized us "into Christ", or "into the Body of Christ". It is Him in us and us in Him.

And yes, we, as the church, are a Holy nation, a royal priesthood. Only priests could officiate a sacrifice, and Paul says to offer our bodies as living sacrifices. If we were not a kingdom of priests Paul wouldn't have begun Romans chapter 12 the way he did.

Right Divider

Body part
I get tired of this, so I'll disengage.
I can see why; I'd get tired of defending false ideas too.

Jesus did not tell them everything - He was so confident of His plan (to come back as the Holy Spirit and lead them into all truth) that He was willing to leave without them understanding His plan fully. He knew that once they were indwelt by the Holy Ghost, and as the Holy Ghost led them step-by-step, they'd understand His plan and purpose fully.
That's some very heretical language there!

So.... WHY PAUL?

Of course Israel has to join the Body of Christ if they want to be saved. That was true when Peter preached on the day of Pentecost. He didn't use those words, but he pointed to "the gift of the Holy Ghost". What does the Holy Ghost do? It baptized us "into Christ", or "into the Body of Christ". It is Him in us and us in Him.
Once AGAIN.... you blur two things together and do not understand the scripture.

And yes, we, as the church, are a Holy nation, a royal priesthood. Only priests could officiate a sacrifice, and Paul says to offer our bodies as living sacrifices. If we were not a kingdom of priests Paul wouldn't have begun Romans chapter 12 the way he did.
Priests are MEDIATORS. We have ONE mediator between God and men TODAY and that's the LORD Jesus Christ.

1Tim 2:5-6 (AKJV/PCE)
(2:5) For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; (2:6) Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

I will NOTE again that Paul never ONCE writes about a priest or a priesthood. It's missing from ALL thirteen of his epistles.

SimpleMan77

I can see why; I'd get tired of defending false ideas too.

That's some very heretical language there!

So.... WHY PAUL?

Once AGAIN.... you blur two things together and do not understand the scripture.

Priests are MEDIATORS. We have ONE mediator between God and men TODAY and that's the LORD Jesus Christ.

1Tim 2:5-6 (AKJV/PCE)
(2:5) For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; (2:6) Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

I will NOTE again that Paul never ONCE writes about a priest or a priesthood. It's missing from ALL thirteen of his epistles.

It seems most MADs say "Peter learned about the mystery from Paul", and "if Jews, like Peter, want to be saved, they have to become part of the body".

Let's assume that Paul set all the others straight and taught them his revelation. And, let's assume that the only way for them to be saved is to embrace the revelation of Paul.

The only logical assumption to make from here is that the epistles of James, Peter, Jon etc., which were written decades after Paul's ministry started, are completely relevant and "the word of God" for the body, of which they had been a part for years at the time of their writing.

Right Divider

Body part
It seems most MADs say "Peter learned about the mystery from Paul", and "if Jews, like Peter, want to be saved, they have to become part of the body".

Let's assume that Paul set all the others straight and taught them his revelation. And, let's assume that the only way for them to be saved is to embrace the revelation of Paul.

The only logical assumption to make from here is that the epistles of James, Peter, Jon etc., which were written decades after Paul's ministry started, are completely relevant and "the word of God" for the body, of which they had been a part for years at the time of their writing.
  • Let's not assume anything.
  • God does NOT change a persons calling
    Those that were part of the kingdom calling will stay there
    Those that are NOW a part of the heavenly calling will stay there.

1Cor 7:17-20 (AKJV/PCE)
    (7:17) But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk.
    And so ordain I in all churches. (7:18) Is any man called being circumcised? let him not become uncircumcised. Is any called in uncircumcision? let him not be circumcised. (7:19) Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God. (7:20) Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.

• The book of James was far more likely written BEFORE any of Paul's epistles
    Like during the Acts 8 time-frame, shortly after the dispersion of Acts 8:1

Acts 8:1 (AKJV/PCE)
    (8:1) And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles.

• Paul was called in Acts 9

SimpleMan77

Things known for ages--Acts 15

• Let's not assume anything.
  • God does NOT change a persons calling
    Those that were part of the kingdom calling will stay there
    Those that are NOW a part of the heavenly calling will stay there.

1Cor 7:17-20 (AKJV/PCE)
    (7:17) But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk.
    And so ordain I in all churches. (7:18) Is any man called being circumcised? let him not become uncircumcised. Is any called in uncircumcision? let him not be circumcised. (7:19) Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God. (7:20) Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.

• The book of James was far more likely written BEFORE any of Paul's epistles
    Like during the Acts 8 time-frame, shortly after the dispersion of Acts 8:1

Acts 8:1 (AKJV/PCE)
    (8:1) And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles.

• Paul was called in Acts 9

Ok, let's not assume anything. Let's agree that callings don't change. Now, let's look at Jesus's words to Peter about his calling (which is not assumed, and cannot change).

Matthew 16:19
And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

So, Peter had the authority to endorse or veto any revelation Paul had. Bound on earth by Peter = bound in heaven by God.

Paul understood that, which is why he said that he compared the Gospel he was preaching with Peter's, lest he had "run in vain". If Peter said no, it was a big NO, and Paul would have realized his revelation was not of God.

If Peter wrote something in his epistles, it was bound in heaven. Period. Like you said, no assumptions here, and keeping in mind that callings don't change. Jesus never took this calling from Peter.

Right Divider

Body part
Ok, let's not assume anything. Let's agree that callings don't change. Now, let's look at Jesus's words to Peter about his calling (which is not assumed, and cannot change).

Matthew 16:19
And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

So, Peter had the authority to endorse or veto any revelation Paul had. Bound on earth by Peter = bound in heaven by God.
Wow.... you've really gone off the rails now.

Firstly and SIMPLY, the kingdom of heaven has NOT YET arrived. During His time on earth, Jesus told them to preach "the kingdom of heaven is AT HAND".

Luke 19:12 (AKJV/PCE)
(19:12) He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.

Go study that parable until you understand it. When Jesus returns WITH His kingdom, that will be the kingdom of heaven.

Peter had NO AUTHORITY over Paul; NONE.

Paul understood that, which is why he said that he compared the Gospel he was preaching with Peter's, lest he had "run in vain". If Peter said no, it was a big NO, and Paul would have realized his revelation was not of God.
What was that you said about NOT assuming?

If Peter wrote something in his epistles, it was bound in heaven. Period. Like you said, no assumptions here, and keeping in mind that callings don't change. Jesus never took this calling from Peter.
You've said that we should not assume and your post is nothing but assumptions based on a faulty understanding of just about everything.

Danoh

Simpleman, thank you for your use of the wording "some MADs."

There are several different camps representing MAD on TOL.

As in any school of thought, people from within one school are bound to end up at key, different understandings on some things.

I am surprised that you have finally seen this.

And you appear to be the only "outsider" so to speak, who has.

What took you so long?

:)

Jerry Shugart

Until Paul no one preached the gospel of grace, the good news which is centered on the fact that Christ died for our sins. And the preaching of that gospel marks the beginning of the present dispensation of the grace of God.

So the present dispensation did not begin before Paul was converted.

Danoh

Where in the OT do we read that Israel's status as "a people above all people" was going to be done away with? And where in the OT does it say that the Gentiles would come to the Lord due to Israel's fall?

Thanks!

No, bro, I was only referring to HOW LONG Israel's TEMPORARY fall would last PRIOR TO His return in His Prophesied wrath followed by His Prophesied mercy ("how much more their fullness") toward them AFTER said Prophesied wrath.

How long they would remain TEMPORARILY fallen...was NOT Prophesied.

We obviously differ somewhat in some of the finer points on one thing or another. Which is fine.

SimpleMan77

Wow.... you've really gone off the rails now.

Firstly and SIMPLY, the kingdom of heaven has NOT YET arrived. During His time on earth, Jesus told them to preach "the kingdom of heaven is AT HAND".

Luke 19:12 (AKJV/PCE)
(19:12) He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.

Go study that parable until you understand it. When Jesus returns WITH His kingdom, that will be the kingdom of heaven.

Peter had NO AUTHORITY over Paul; NONE.

What was that you said about NOT assuming?

You've said that we should not assume and your post is nothing but assumptions based on a faulty understanding of just about everything.

I understand that some people, in their infinite wisdom, have determined that the "kingdom of heaven" and the "kingdom of God" are two different things.

A Kingdom is simply "the realm that a king rules over", and everything that is under his domain.
The "kingdom of God" is everyone who submits themselves to the rule of God.
The "kingdom of heaven" is everyone who submits themselves to the rule of heaven.
SAME THING! God rules over heaven, and all delegated authority in heaven operates under his ultimate authority.

Besides, Jesus simply said "Whatever you bind on earth is bound in heaven". He did not say that delegated authority was only valid if the nation of Israel accepted him.