ECT There is only one Gospel

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I have no idea what your beef with Donah is and I'm not sure that I really care but you might want to explain yourself a little more clearly because it looks to me like you are the one attacking a fellow Mid-Acts Dispensationalists.

I've never had cause to have any issue with Danoh but I don't read every post and I'm not saying that you're wrong or right about Danoh because I literally have no idea what you're referencing. I'm just saying that without context, your comments SEEM somewhat hypocritical. I think you'd do yourself a favor by explaining in a bit more detail just what you find so problematic.

Respectfully,
Clete

Personally, I don't feel the necessity to make you privy to my business. I barely know you and I don't believe you and I have any personal relationship. (friendship) In other words, "Why are you making this YOUR business? This is a forum which doesn't have a rule stating that I'm required to report to Clete all of my personal business." If you can show me such a rule, I'll be more than happy to let you in on my personal business. Your post is accusatory, evidently, you have pronounced me guilty without having full knowledge of previous posts between Danoh and myself. So, since that's what you believe, we'll just abide with that. I don't know you so I won't be losing any sleep over your condemnation of me.

Danoh

Having been among them once, I totally get it, as all MADs do. They're taught to invest doctrinal faith in the dire warnings they've had preached at them from Israel's biblical content, and so are left to do what they can about the resulting contradictions with grace. Usually, pretend they contradictions aren't there, or diminish/ignore Paul by somehow drafting him into the 12. A few go as far as questioning whether Paul was even an apostle.

But along comes something like MAD, merrily offering solutions to those contradictions by questioning the foundations of that mislaid doctrinal faith. So you find yourself conflicted -- you can't not see some of the correct points dispensationalism raises but, based on your prior programming, to question what you always believe (ta-da!) puts you at grave risk of "falling away" or something. So dispensationalism must be rejected a priori and (as far as TOL is an indicator) is hated above pretty much every other system.

It's a mental loop, a trap, a form of having been taken captive by vain philosophies, and it works very well. I have firsthand knowledge of this: I once threw Stam's book across the room and wrote in a margin, "I WILL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT THESE PEOPLE TEACH."

Great post :thumb:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Personally, I don't feel the necessity to make you privy to my business. I barely know you and I don't believe you and I have any personal relationship. (friendship) In other words, "Why are you making this YOUR business?

Because you're posting your comments about a fellow Acts 9 Dispensationalist on a public web forum and whether your beef is valid or not, if you're going to air it out publically, I'd prefer that you not look like a hypocrite.

It's no more complicated than that. I couldn't care less about your personal issues, except when you stop keeping them personal and start making them public. Then, if you look like a hypocrite, I'm going to ask for clarification. If you refuse to give it, then I'll know who has a problem and who doesn't.

This is a forum which doesn't have a rule stating that I'm required to report to Clete all of my personal business." If you can show me such a rule, I'll be more than happy to let you in on my personal business.
This was a stupid thing for you to have said. I couldn't have been more polite. You need to calm down and stop acting like a teenaged girl.

Your post is accusatory, evidently, you have pronounced me guilty without having full knowledge of previous posts between Danoh and myself.
Stupidity continued for a second sentence. I said and UNDERLINED for emphasis that your posts SEEM to be hypocritical and I clearly stated that I was not saying the you are either right or wrong because I haven't read whatever posts your referring to where Danoh had offended you. You may very well be right but you're making yourself look like a hypocrite because you're attacking an Acts 9 Dispensationalist for having attacked Acts 9 Dispensationalists and there is no other context given to allow those who read your comments to understand what you're talking about.

So, since that's what you believe, we'll just abide with that. I don't know you so I won't be losing any sleep over your condemnation of me.
I didn't condemn you, I asked you to clarify yourself. If you don't want to, fine! So be it! Make all the needless enemies you want!

Your excessively defensive response to what was clearly a respectful request for some clarification of your PUBLIC statements is rather telling, I must say.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Clete, thanks, for your concern.

At the same time; I've posted what I have believed is a solution under grace, have left things at that; and am fine with it.

I've moved on...

My concern was more for GM than for you. That is to say, I know that you're more than capable of defending yourself. It wasn't my intent to take sides because I don't have any idea what the heck the problem is that he's going on about. All I wanted was for some clarification about what in the world was the problem because it doesn't make any sense based on what has been said on this thread (that I could find, anyway).

Anyway, perhaps, if nothing else, he'll keep his personal beefs off the public forum.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Having been among them once, I totally get it, as all MADs do. They're taught to invest doctrinal faith in the dire warnings they've had preached at them from Israel's biblical content, and so are left to do what they can about the resulting contradictions with grace. Usually, pretend they contradictions aren't there, or diminish/ignore Paul by somehow drafting him into the 12. A few go as far as questioning whether Paul was even an apostle.

But along comes something like MAD, merrily offering solutions to those contradictions by questioning the foundations of that mislaid doctrinal faith. So you find yourself conflicted -- you can't not see some of the correct points dispensationalism raises but, based on your prior programming, to question what you always believe (ta-da!) puts you at grave risk of "falling away" or something. So dispensationalism must be rejected a priori and (as far as TOL is an indicator) is hated above pretty much every other system.

It's a mental loop, a trap, a form of having been taken captive by vain philosophies, and it works very well. I have firsthand knowledge of this: I once threw Stam's book across the room and wrote in a margin, "I WILL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT THESE PEOPLE TEACH."

Great post :thumb:

It is indeed! :thumb:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I have firsthand knowledge of this: I once threw Stam's book across the room and wrote in a margin, "I WILL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT THESE PEOPLE TEACH."

That's funny!
Back in the '80s I had a high school friend who'd come to live with us, a 77 year old ex-Amish who was living with us and a 65 year old man who had asked to park his live-in van on our place. The 65 year old had a bunch of Stam's books and at one point during our discussion my HS friend flung Stam's book and hit him in th' head. Kinda' shook the poor guy up.

About a year ago I went to visit my HS friend who now lives back in the town where I'm from. I gave him a copy of "Things That Differ" and he said it was one of the best books he'd ever read. I didn't tell him that it was likely that same book that he'd flung in the man's face all those years ago.

musterion

I make no boast with any of that. I'm still a little ashamed even though now I know I was just a malnourished baby Christian who was neglected by other baby Christians who didn't realize they weren't even helping themselves, much less me.

At the time, I was entangled deeper and deeper in the common distractions of evangelicalism and fundamentalism...a constant diet of discernment ministries, counter-cult data, end times stuff, commentaries, the odd expose on this or that famous Christendom figure, "deeper life" meditations and devotionals...you know the routine. All of which have their place, I suppose, depending on who does the teaching. But back then, that WAS my diet. I gorged myself on it all. And I was empty. And I knew I was starving to death.

Starving because the Bible itself made no sense to me. Bits and pieces did; there's parts you can't NOT understand. But I wanted -- needed -- to understand it all, at least how it all fit together. Yet it wasn't even the milk I was feeding on, much less the meat. It was regurgitated milk from others. So I doubted many times that it really did fit together because I couldn't make heads or tales of "the big picture." Nor could anyone I asked; they all contradicted each other. So reading the Word became a chore, a drudge, unpleasant, frustrating and -- coupled with my Calvinistic doubt driven navel-gazing about whether I was elect or not -- terrifying. So for a long time, I quit. Refused to pick up a Bible.

It's different now. Have by no means "arrived," still growing slowly. But growing, and learning. And in an odd way I take comfort in the increased spiritual attacks, and in RECOGNIZING them as such. Comforting to really see the ghastly depths of vicious, despicable warfare against the Spirit that the flesh is capable of..while also resting in the fact that that is NOT me, not anymore (even though it never stops trying to convince me we're one and the same). When you're catching flak you know you're over the target, they say.

In humility, I do thank God for His grace that I never did throw whatever mental switch would have let me turn my mind off and float downstream in a river of human teaching, auguring ever deeper into it until I never came out. I thank God that by His grace I did not remain the enemy of the cross that I had been as a young believer, because that's exactly what I was even while I thought I was defending it. Sorry for the ramble.

musterion

That's funny!
Back in the '80s I had a high school friend who'd come to live with us, a 77 year old ex-Amish who was living with us and a 65 year old man who had asked to park his live-in van on our place. The 65 year old had a bunch of Stam's books and at one point during our discussion my HS friend flung Stam's book and hit him in th' head. Kinda' shook the poor guy up.

About a year ago I went to visit my HS friend who now lives back in the town where I'm from. I gave him a copy of "Things That Differ" and he said it was one of the best books he'd ever read. I didn't tell him that it was likely that same book that he'd flung in the man's face all those years ago.

I think it was DIFFER than hit my wall too, but after months of reading the books a stranger on a board like this one sent me, it was BAPTISM AND THE BIBLE that finally caused the light to come on (being indie/fundie baptist it makes sense that that's what it took). That was 15 years ago but I remember like yesterday where I sat on a bench, bright late afternoon, outside the warehouse I worked when it hit me. I think I wrote "I get it" in the margin.

john w

Hall of Fame
I make no boast with any of that. I'm still a little ashamed even though now I know I was just a malnourished baby Christian who was neglected by other baby Christians who didn't realize they weren't even helping themselves, much less me.

At the time, I was entangled deeper and deeper in the common distractions of evangelicalism and fundamentalism...a constant diet of discernment ministries, counter-cult data, end times stuff, commentaries, the odd expose on this or that famous Christendom figure, "deeper life" meditations and devotionals...you know the routine. All of which have their place, I suppose, depending on who does the teaching. But back then, that WAS my diet. I gorged myself on it all. And I was empty. And I knew I was starving to death.

Starving because the Bible itself made no sense to me. Bits and pieces did; there's parts you can't NOT understand. But I wanted -- needed -- to understand it all, at least how it all fit together. Yet it wasn't even the milk I was feeding on, much less the meat. It was regurgitated milk from others. So I doubted many times that it really did fit together because I couldn't make heads or tales of "the big picture." Nor could anyone I asked; they all contradicted each other. So reading the Word became a chore, a drudge, unpleasant, frustrating and -- coupled with my Calvinistic doubt driven navel-gazing about whether I was elect or not -- terrifying. So for a long time, I quit. Refused to pick up a Bible.

It's different now. Have by no means "arrived," still growing slowly. But growing, and learning. And in an odd way I take comfort in the increased spiritual attacks, and in RECOGNIZING them as such. Comforting to really see the ghastly depths of vicious, despicable warfare against the Spirit that the flesh is capable of..while also resting in the fact that that is NOT me, not anymore (even though it never stops trying to convince me we're one and the same). When you're catching flak you know you're over the target, they say.

In humility, I do thank God for His grace that I never did throw whatever mental switch would have let me turn my mind off and float downstream in a river of human teaching, auguring ever deeper into it until I never came out. I thank God that by His grace I did not remain the enemy of the cross that I had been as a young believer, because that's exactly what I was even while I thought I was defending it. Sorry for the ramble.

Thou hast well said, musty!

However, I would assert that the guh-low-ree cloud always made sense. Puh rayszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd! Amen? Give the Laaaaawd a shout of puh raaaayzzzzzzzzzzzz!

musterion

Funny that today's blog update by Terence McLean is this. Posting just because.

You mid-Acts dispensationalists often say that Peter and Paul preached different gospels. [this apparently was a question sent to McLean]. Yeah, but… if that is true, why does Paul mention Peter in 1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

[McLean's answer, I think...]

What Paul does in the verses you cite is to compare three men’s ministries, not for the sake of saying they are all the same but rather to demonstrate their differences.

Let’s start with Apollos: Acts 18:24-25 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus. This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.

And we know John’s baptism’s function was to identify the Messiah to Israel: John 1:30-31 This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me. And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.

We also know that those who had received Christ as Messiah demonstrated that by being water baptized: Luke 7:29-30 And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John. But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.

Apollos knew nothing of Peter’s baptism with the Holy Ghost in Acts Two and knew nothing of Paul’s baptism by the Spirit. And your question indicates you see no distinction between baptism with water, baptism with the Holy Ghost and baptism by the Holy Ghost. When you trust Christ’s payment for your sins, you are baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ: 1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body…

If we MADs didn't have anything to disagree about we'd never disagree about anything.

musterion

Thou hast well said, musty!

However, I would assert that the guh-low-ree cloud always made sense. Puh rayszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd! Amen? Give the Laaaaawd a shout of puh raaaayzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Very early on, when the downward spiral started, I came across something written by a Word Faith guru (can't recall which...Hagin maybe). It encouraged me to sincerely seek after tongues. I didn't try to force it or fake or practice, but just told God the sincere prayer of the ignorant, "Lord, if this is for today and if it's for me..." And I meant it. Honest, I even knelt inside my closet a few times with the door closed.

Nothing. I thought I had somehow failed. Again.

Now I know that He heard me just fine.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Very early on, when the downward spiral started, I came across something written by a Word Faith guru (can't recall which...Hagin maybe). It encouraged me to sincerely seek after tongues. I didn't try to force it or fake or practice, but just told God the sincere prayer of the ignorant, "Lord, if this is for today and if it's for me..." And I meant it. Honest, I even knelt inside my closet a few times with the door closed.

Nothing. I thought I had somehow failed. Again.

Now I know that He heard me just fine.

I went through a similar process.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have no idea what your beef with Donah is
I do.
I've watched the whole thing.
GM is getting a raw deal here; so much so, that it's starting to get on my nerves.
He has done nothing wrong.

I like, support, and want both Danoh and GM here.
But for this one instance, if I had to choose a side, it would be GM.

Not that my input matters one iota, but just wanted to let you know there is more here than meets the eye.
So I hope this all levels out real soon so we can all get back to looking for those answers to biblical questions we have.

Thanks for your attention.
:carryon:

Danoh

My concern was more for GM than for you. That is to say, I know that you're more than capable of defending yourself. It wasn't my intent to take sides because I don't have any idea what the heck the problem is that he's going on about. All I wanted was for some clarification about what in the world was the problem because it doesn't make any sense based on what has been said on this thread (that I could find, anyway).

Anyway, perhaps, if nothing else, he'll keep his personal beefs off the public forum.

Again, Clete, I have tried to suggest a solution under grace towards letting this thing go...

To bring it up for what ever reason only risks stirring it up once more, and to no avail once more...

Let it go, bro. I'd rather move on.

Thank you...

Danoh

I went through a similar process.

Just goes to show some of those people are sincere; are not really up to faking such things.

Some of those people sincerly love the Lord.

In their case - on the one hand, such just don't know any better.

On the other, many of them will not know any better even after one thing or another is pointed out to them.

Because such distinctions, when pointed out; simply do not compute due to how strong where they are used looking at things from has become "by reason of use."

But as with is the case when dealing with any one caught up in such a cult like way of perceiving things; to go against them harshly often results in their becoming even further commited to their belief.

As when a parent attempts to sway their child from a harmful relationship only to find their child concluding from said well intended intervention that their parent is their enemy.

The Apostle Paul seems to have been well aware of that dynamic...

2 Timothy 2:22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 2:23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes. 2:24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 2:26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.