The UN demands the US pay Reparations

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Have you ever heard this from a telephone voice menu system?
"para Espanol o prima dos"

This is a sign of a large group of people that have refused to assimilate.

Yes I've heard that. And some bank ATMs allow Spanish. Other things too. And I'm more likely to agree with you on language. Names, not so much.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

This Charming Manc

I'm suggesting sir that the whites didn't integrate with amer indian culture did they?

One rule for you and one rule for everyone else.

If think you need to understand that american does not equal white.

by the way I thought you were educating yourself, its seems like you wasted your time and money.

Nonsense question. An unassimilated white American sounds like a contradiction of terms to me.

Unless he was raised by nonwhites. Then no, I recommend, not deportation, but re-education.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I'm suggesting sir that the whites didn't integrate with amer indian culture did they?

That's amusing. Last I checked, I live in the United States of America, not the United Tribes of Diverse Indian Nations or some such nonsense.

This is a common liberal argument, and it's a silly one.

Assimilation must be understood relative to a given culture or body politic.

If think you need to understand that american does not equal white.

Culturally and historically, you are in error. :idunno:

genuineoriginal

Yup. Ship them back to Mexico! :madmad:
No, many Spanish speaking Americans came from the following historical events instead of immigrating to America, so Mexico is not their country of origin:
  • Adams–Onís Treaty (Florida)
  • Louisiana Purchase (Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, New Mexico, Texas, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Louisiana)
  • Annexation of Texas (Texas)
  • Mexican–American War (Texas, and Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, and Wyoming, California, Nevada, Utah)

genuineoriginal

You have yet to show that what someone is named shows an acceptance or rejection of American culture,
I believe I have already shown that.

should be discriminated against, or that they'd be a bad employee.
That is entirely besides the point.
People WILL be discriminated against because their name does not fit the cultural norms, regardless of whether someone thinks that person will be a "bad" employee.
It is about whether the person will fit in the culture, not about a person's supposed work ethic.

Maybe you're the one making a mistake.
There are facts and figures behind my assessment.
_____
Immigrants Who 'Americanized' Their Names Earned 14 Percent More, Study Says

Many immigrants coming to the United States in the early 1900s did “Americanize” their names when they reached New York—and a recent study reported by The Economist shows that their incomes rose because of it. The researchers took a sample of 3,400 male immigrants—from Italy, Russia, the Czech Republic, Poland, and other countries—who naturalized in 1930 in New York. About of third of them legally discarded their first names and took on common American names like Charles, John, or William, the study says.

Then, the study authors compared the occupations of the immigrants who Americanized their names to those who didn’t. Exact earnings data wasn’t available, but the researchers did have access to naturalization papers filed five years after the immigrants originally declared intent to naturalize that listed their jobs. Their findings? Changing from a foreign name to a popular American name translated to a 14 percent boost in earnings.
_____​

Your opinion is at odds with reality.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
No, many Spanish speaking Americans came from the following historical events instead of immigrating to America, so Mexico is not their country of origin:
  • Adams–Onís Treaty (Florida)
  • Louisiana Purchase (Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, New Mexico, Texas, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Louisiana)
  • Annexation of Texas (Texas)
  • Mexican–American War (Texas, and Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, and Wyoming, California, Nevada, Utah)

Well if they haven't learned English since then, there's obviously a problem, and they need to leave.

This Charming Manc

Some Fair point and I was pulling you leg rather than making a proper argument.

But guess what americas has changed, its not what you think it is, or should be or even was.

Amercia us multi cultural,

• america has 45 million Spanish speakers
  • 42 million black americans
  • 18 million asian americans

these people there cultures, theres language and beliefs are american, that is a fact you just have to live with.

That's amusing. Last I checked, I live in the United States of America, not the United Tribes of Diverse Indian Nations or some such nonsense.

This is a common liberal argument, and it's a silly one.

Assimilation must be understood relative to a given culture or body politic.

Culturally and historically, you are in error. :idunno:

genuineoriginal

That quote doesn't help. Why does someone eating Chinese food pass the indistinguishable test but someone's name doesn't?
Many people eat native cuisines when they travel and bring those cuisines back with them and then assimilate the cuisines of other cultures into their own culture.

This Charming Manc

Tradio its not your language anyway why are you bothered?

You live in a culture without its own language, how odd?

whys your immigrant language better than their immigrant language?

Well if they haven't learned English since then, there's obviously a problem. They need to leave.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned

But guess what americas has changed, its not what you think it is, or should be or even was.

these people there cultures, theres language and beliefs are american, that is a fact you just have to live with.

You could try to make the same argument about any country with a large number of diverse ethnicities. You could use this to claim that there's no such thing as a French culture or a British culture because there are lots of people there who are not "traditionally" French or British in those places.

And you would be just as wrong as you are now in the case of the United States.

There is such a thing as an historical and historically dominant U.S. culture, way of life, etc., and foreigners and minorities need to figure it out, or else, get the bloody blazes out.

Incidentally, this is one reason why there should be NO muslims permitted in the west. Islam of its very nature makes muslims recalcitrant to integration into the cultures and values of Western host countries. Therefore, once again, I renew my call:

Expel all muslims from the West!

genuineoriginal

America has been trying to integrate these cultures into the American culture.

The only thing preventing this is the insistence of large groups of people on maintaining separation instead of helping integration.

The current demand for reparations is not assisting integration of cultures, but is forcing greater separation.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Traditio its not your language anyway why are you bothered?

You live in a culture without its own language, how odd?

whys your immigrant language better than their immigrant language?

Once again, you are simply wrong. You are wrong historically and you are wrong in fact. :idunno:

This Charming Manc

there but its nowhere near where you are....

and its contains those 'minorities' they are intrinsically part of america, have been for a while.

and you can shout all the racists bile you want, but its doesn't change the fact there are a lot of people who are real Americans who don't look like you, talk like you, think? like you, they have different values and they are as 100% american as you are.

painful isnt it.

You could try to make the same argument about any country with a large number of diverse ethnicities. You could use this to claim that there's no such thing as a French culture or a British culture because there are lots of people there who are not "traditionally" French or British in those places.

And you would be just as wrong as you are now in the case of the United States.

There is such a thing as an historical and historically dominant U.S. culture, way of life, etc., and foreigners and minorities need to figure it out, or else, get the bloody blazes out.

rexlunae

Slavery is not a crime against humanity.

Yes it is. Or so say nearly all nations on Earth right now.

Slavery was instituted thousands of years ago as the most humane way to deal with the survivors of war and with debtors.

The alternative to slavery was death.

How about neither? Neither is an option, and it is mandated by currently-recognized international law. Also, a crime against humanity isn't necessarily committed in war, and slavery wasn't a wartime practice. It was done for economic reasons, especially in the American incarnation.

I am sure even someone as liberal as yourself would say that genocide is a crime against humanity.
I am also sure even someone as liberal as yourself would say executing people for not repaying debts is also a crime against humanity.

This is a straightforward false dichotomy. You don't have to kill or enslave prisoners of war, and doing either is actually illegal. You hold war prisoners until the end of the war, and then you release them. While they are held, they must be treated humanely. That's the standard.

Are you claiming the Jews caused World War II, you disgusting racist?

No more than slaves caused the Civil War. Slavery, and the South's attempt to preserve it, did. And who wanted slavery? White, Southern slaveholders and their allies.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
there but its nowhere near where you are....

and its contains those 'minorities' they are intrinsically part of america, have been for a while.

and you can shout all the racists bile you want, but its doesn't change the fact there are a lot of people who are real Americans who don't look like you, talk like you, think? like you, they have different values and they are as 100% american as you are.

To the extent that the values and practices are different, I deny that they are authentically, historically and normatively American.

In fact, black culture is "American" only relatively, i.e., by negation. It's a counter-culture. Counter-cultures are, of their very nature, parasitic upon that to which they are counter.

Black culture is a parasite, a disease, a noxious plague on the U.S.

This Charming Manc

your claiming that they should learn to speak English not american.

the clues in the title, English is what English people speak, people who come from England, its our language we made and I will abuse it any way I want.

You speak English because you come from immigrant stock, you don't have you own american language because almost all of you are immigrants.

The early immigrants spoke dutch, german and english.

Much as I like English, if you are claiming we should all go home to our original countries then we cant fit you all back in england.

Once again, you are simply wrong. You are wrong historically and you are wrong in fact. :idunno: