The UN demands the US pay Reparations

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
an awful large number of black slaves weren't interested in being freed

I still say that we should tally up all of the funds that have been spend on welfare payments to black people and determine whether it exceeds or is exceeded by the "lost wages" of black slaves.

I bet you it exceeds it. :idunno:

Selaphiel

To the extent that the values and practices are different, I deny that they are authentically, historically and normatively American.

In fact, black culture is "American" only relatively, i.e., by negation. It's a counter-culture.

Seriously, did you hit your head falling on a concrete floor or something?

What exactly is American culture if not the culture of its citizens of whom African-Americans are a rather significant portion of?

Your definition of American culture basically boils down to "the stuff that I like".

I think stormfront might be a more appropriate forum for you.

Of course, I don't we should think too highly of someone who talks about what is American while at the same time suggesting that an entire group of people should be expelled from the country based on their religion. I guess the constitutional rights to freedom of religion isn't American either.

This Charming Manc

you have become racist aswipe haven't you.

I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

To the extent that the values and practices are different, I deny that they are authentically, historically and normatively American.

In fact, black culture is "American" only relatively, i.e., by negation. It's a counter-culture. Counter-cultures are, of their very nature, parasitic upon that to which they are counter.

Black culture is a parasite, a disease, a noxious plague on the U.S.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
your claiming that they should learn to speak English not american.

the clues in the title, English is what English people speak,

You're committing an etymological fallacy (I don't know if that's the appropriate name or not). You are failing to grasp what St. Thomas Aquinas would call the distinction between "that because of which a name is imposed" and "the signification of a name."

"English" receives its name from the fact that the English were the ones who initially were speaking it. "English," however, does not signify "whatever it is that the English speak," but a particular language. If all persons in England should start speaking another language, that language wouldn't be English.

You speak English because you come from immigrant stock, you don't have you own american language because almost all of you are immigrants.

The early immigrants spoke dutch, german and english.

Fallacy of composition. The features of a part cannot be transposed to the whole.

rexlunae

You know any Africans named "Shaquan"? I don't.

I know one named "Barack". His son, as it turned out, is an African-American of some note.

Their names, their culture, etc: it's all one massive counter-culture. It's a protest against whites.

Even if there's some truth to that, so what? Why do you feel that authorizes discrimination?

It's basically the same reason why black people are always whining about slavery, reparations...even "educated" blacks flock like flies to stupid courses of study like "African American Studies" and that kind of nonsense (all, of course, so that they can put on airs of education when they whine about how bad white people are).

...when we all know the only thing worth studying is white, European history and philosophy. Right?

It's all one giant protest, one giant affront against white people.

It's an assertion of identity. You just don't like who they are, so you have to contrive some way to make it about you.

Whatever. They want to do that? That's their prerogative. But they shouldn't expect white people to employ them.

It's illegal to discriminate on the basis of race, under the terms of laws that mostly white people passed.

They don't like it? Again: there's always Africa. ;)

Where, as you yourself have noted, they have little living cultural connection, and no citizenship or right to immigrate. Again, they have at least as much right to live here as a white person, and that's no justification for mistreating them.

Yes. Yes they can. I'll be waiting.

Why don't you hold your breath?

And just so we're on the same page: the letter "r" isn't pronounced like the word "aura." To my mind, the correct pronunciation of the alphabet should be a prerequisite for voting.

Whose correct pronunciation of the alphabet?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Seriously, did you hit your head falling on a concrete floor or something?

What exactly is American culture if not the culture of its citizens of whom African-Americans are a rather significant portion of?

Again, this is the fallacy of composition.

That's like asking what a dog is except [enter here into an enumeration of the parts of a dog].

American culture indicates a specific x, independently of the individuals who take part in it.

At the very least, American culture involves what we learn, normatively speaking, in U.S. elementary schools.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Just when I thought this place couldn't sink any lower.

Slime.

Do you have a compelling argument that slavery is a crime against humanity?

Perhaps you and GO simply have a different view of what constitutes a crime against humanity.

Note, at no point did GO assert that slavery should be legal currently.

Though, I would like to point out that pretty much everyone living today admits that slavery is perfectly acceptable in some contexts.

Prisoners, for example, are, for all intents and purposes, slaves of the State as punishment for their crimes.

Selaphiel

Again, this is the fallacy of composition.

That's like asking what a dog is except [enter here into an enumeration of the parts of a dog].

American culture indicates a specific x, independently of the individuals who take part in it.

Which sociological definition of culture are you operating with? I'm guessing none, you operate with the definition of culture that suits your vile racism.

And only any idiot would think that you could define what a dog is without reference to its parts and the functional expressions of those parts. You want to define what a dog is without referings a significant part of it, the part you don't like.

At the very least, American culture involves what we learn, normatively speaking, in U.S. elementary schools.

You mean like the constitutional right to freedom of religion? You just violated that yourself by wishing to expel all Muslims based on their religion.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Do you have a compelling argument that slavery is a crime against humanity?

Perhaps you and GO simply have a different view of what constitutes a crime against humanity.

Note, at no point did GO assert that slavery should be legal currently.

That kind of slime doesn't deserve a "compelling argument." Maybe you don't see it as slime because you're already standing in it.

lovemeorhateme

How many of us are descended from people the Romans kept as slaves? I guess I'd better send a bill to the Italian government as some of my forefathers might have been kept as slaves by the Romans. I want reparations! Whilst we're at it, anyone of Saxon descent should probably send a bill to the Scandinavian countries demanding reparations for the treatment of our forefathers by the Viking invaders who committed mass murder. Then I think I'll send a bill to France for the Norman invasion of the 11th century where the Normans ethnically cleansed England. Again, I want reparations for the horrific, wide-scale genocide the French committed against my countrymen.

Or I could just accept that this is ancient history and I'm not a victim anymore. I'm responsible for my own actions and cannot blame what happened to my forefathers in the past for where I'm at in life.