The Terrible God of Calvinism

Robert Pate

Banned
That would be incorrect. I read what Paul wrote. It's unambiguous.

God has mercy on whom He has mercy. It's His choice.

And there are vessels of wrath prepared for destruction.

As usual you have misinterpreted the scripture

Romans 9:22, 23, are the "What If" scriptures. Paul is saying, "What If" and not that is what God does. Read it again.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I can tell you that none shall see hell that does deserve it on the basis of his/her own sin.

Responsibility is increased by: sight (Jn 9:39–41), privilege (Jn 15:22, 24), opportunity (Mt 11:20–24), continuance in sin (Mt 23:31–35) and rejection (Mt 10:11–15). Thomas Nelson Publishers. (1996). Nelson’s quick reference topical Bible index (p. 529). Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Every single human being on the planet has had a chance to respond to God.

Every single person on the planet failed to do so.
:dizzy: Men must: "turn" (Ac 9:35), "repent” (Ac 8:22), "return” (1 Sam 7:3). Thomas Nelson Publishers. (1996). Nelson’s quick reference topical Bible index (p. 526). Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

Brother Ducky

Responsibility is increased by: sight (Jn 9:39–41), privilege (Jn 15:22, 24), opportunity (Mt 11:20–24), continuance in sin (Mt 23:31–35) and rejection (Mt 10:11–15). Thomas Nelson Publishers. (1996). Nelson’s quick reference topical Bible index (p. 529). Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

OK. Not sure what you are trying to do here.

NickCharles

You are always looking for scripture that you think demeans God's holy, just nature. You apparently think that you have found something in Romans 9.

I'm looking at scripture for what it says. You have created an idol that cannot be supported in scripture. So when you get to Romans 9, it doesn't fit with the idol. I don't have that issue. I see God as a God who loves His glory first and foremost, and who abhors sin. I see God as a God who, even though He hates sin, because He Wanted to demonstrate His mercy, chose to save some. He didn't need to. He chose to.

So no, I dint look at scripture in the way you describe. I look at it as is.

Robert Pate

Banned
I'm looking at scripture for what it says. You have created an idol that cannot be supported in scripture. So when you get to Romans 9, it doesn't fit with the idol. I don't have that issue. I see God as a God who loves His glory first and foremost, and who abhors sin. I see God as a God who, even though He hates sin, because He Wanted to demonstrate His mercy, chose to save some. He didn't need to. He chose to.

So no, I dint look at scripture in the way you describe. I look at it as is.

Unforunately for you, your God does not exist and is NOT the God of the Bible.

The God of the Bible loves the whole world and gives his Son for the sins of the whole world, John 3:16. Many, many scriptures confirm this.

NickCharles

Unforunately for you, your God does not exist and is NOT the God of the Bible.

The God of the Bible loves the whole world and gives his Son for the sins of the whole world, John 3:16. Many, many scriptures confirm this.

Again, you make no reasonable arguments. You just come back with these petty insults.

But let's look at this:

“He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.”
**John‬ *3:36‬ *KJV‬‬
http://bible.com/1/jhn.3.36.kjv

and this

“And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.”
**1 John‬ *2:2‬ *KJV‬‬
http://bible.com/1/1jn.2.2.kjv

I'd love to see you reconcile these two verses if "world" means every single person who ever lived.

Dialogos

"Isn't under sin"? Are you just going to make stuff up that has nothing to do with your claim?
huh?

glorydaz said:
Paul wasn't "exaggerating" but he certainly wasn't contradicting Scripture as your "interpretation" insists. Have you ever bothered to go read "what is written" in Psalm 14 and Psalm 5:5-9 which Paul was quoting?
Surely you know that these are only a few of OT allusions Paul is using here, right?

Paul strings together a number of OT quotations, here they are annotated for you.

(Romans 3:9-18 ESV) (A) What then? Are we Jews any better off? No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin, as it is written: "None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one." (B) "Their throat is an open grave; they use their tongues to deceive." (C) "The venom of asps is under their lips." (D) "Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness." (E)"Their feet are swift to shed blood; in their paths are ruin and misery, and the way of peace they have not known." (F)"There is no fear of God before their eyes."

(A) Psalm 14:1-3
(B) Psalm 5:9
(C) Psalm 140:3b
(D) Psalm 10:7
(E) Isaiah 59:7-8a
(F) Psalm 36:1b

Paul clearly isn't commenting on any one or even two verses of OT scripture, he is drawing from a number of scriptures and appropriating them for the point he is making which is, quite clearly, that all are "under sin." And Paul makes the argument, using these OT scriptures, that this is what being "under sin" entails.

One who is "under sin" isn't righteous, doesn't understand, doesn't seek for God, has turned aside from God, has gone wrong, does not do good, speaks deceptively, curses and is embittered, isare prone to violence, does not know peace and has no fear of God in his or her eyes.

Paul is absolutely clear that both Jews and Greeks are under sin and will go on to claim that every mouth will be stopped and the whole world held accountable to God.

Paul said:
It's the foolish...."their hearts" are being talked about...not all men.
:nono:

I see so there are foolish lost people and there there are the wise lost people, like yourself, who are just wiser, smarter or more spiritual in the flesh, right?

:nono:

That's not what John 6:63 says.

(John 6:63 ESV) It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

The flesh is no help at all!

Your "wiser" flesh is no help to you, if the Spirit of God hasn't regenerated you then you are just parading around your "wiser" flesh in front of people you think are more foolish than you are.

glorydaz said:
It's the fool who has said in his heart there is no God. That does not mean all men are fools and don't believe in God.
Right, there are those, like you, who had have wise, lost flesh, right?

Think about that, does that really sound biblical to you?

:think:

Jesus says that the flesh is no help at all, why do you say that your "wise" flesh made you better than those who were foolish in the flesh?

glorydaz said:
We know from reading Romans 1 and 2 that the things of God are clearly seen and understood by the created. It's why men are without excuse.
Exactly!

Creation renders us without excuse.

It doesn't help us get saved.

That's the whole reason for the gospel.

If gazing with wonder at the moon on a starry night could save anyone, God the Father wouldn't have sent His dearly loved, only Son into the world to bleed on a cross now would He?
glordaz said:
Even the gentiles can do by nature the things contained in the law.
Keep reading.

Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may be held accountable to God.
20 For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin. (Rom 3:19-20 ESV)

The gentiles can do what is in the law, and their consciences are conflicted, both accusing and excusing them.

The law of the gentile heart is no better than the Law written on stone for the Jews in saving people.

Do you know why?

The answer is in Romans 8:7.

glorydaz said:
There has always been those who are righteous and just (not sin free - and that isn't what Paul is saying).
Do you even know what makes one "righteous?"

The obedience of Christ (Romans 5:19).

That's the only kind of righteousness than matters. Everything we do, in the flesh, that we would boast about are filthy rags before God (Isaiah 64:6).

Your notion that there are some "righteous" lost people and some "foolish" lost people is just silly in light of Isaiah 64:6.

glorydaz said:
Why do you ignore Able, Noah and Lot? Mat 23:35 2 Pet 2:7,8
Whose ignoring these men?

God has always kept a believing remnant, chosen by grace.

Why do you assume that these examples somehow mitigate Paul's statements in Romans 3?

In their flesh, Able, Noah, Lot, Abraham, etc... were just as lost as anyone else. These men don't qualify Paul's statements, they prove Paul's statements.

What reason is given in the text for why God accepted Able's sacrifice and rejected Cain's? Hint the answer is in Hebrews.

Why did Noah and His family get an invitation to build an arc but the rest of the world received no similar warning?

Why didn't God go to the every single person and offer to make them all the father of many nations?

Let me ask you one last question, glorydaz. Did Noah need the power of the Holy Spirit to be called righteous or was he just righteous in the flesh?

Last edited:

Robert Pate

Banned
Again, you make no reasonable arguments. You just come back with these petty insults.

But let's look at this:

“He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.”
**John‬ *3:36‬ *KJV‬‬
http://bible.com/1/jhn.3.36.kjv

and this

“And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.”
**1 John‬ *2:2‬ *KJV‬‬
http://bible.com/1/1jn.2.2.kjv

I'd love to see you reconcile these two verses if "world" means every single person who ever lived.

Of course "World" means every person.

Salvation has been provided for all. But its not yours if you don't receive it, John 1:12.

Those two scriptures are saying the same thing. If you don't believe you will perish.

NickCharles

Salvation has been provided for all. But its not yours if you don't receive it, John 1:12.

Those two scriptures are saying the same thing. If you don't believe you will perish.

If God's wrath was satisfied in 1 John, how can it remain on someone in John 3:36?

beloved57

False comment, the scripture doesnt say that !

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I think the concepts are part of a Biblical anthropology. And as of now, I have not seen a Biblical anthropology that gives man enough of a free-will to choose to follow Christ.

The issue as I see it is the difference between pre- and post-fall man. Pre-fall man certainly able to believe and seek God. I believe that post-fall man is unable to do so.

Then, your "findings" are faulty. You've been indoctrinated with
Calvinist doctrine and are unable to see the "Forrest for the trees."

Robert Pate

Banned
If God's wrath was satisfied in 1 John, how can it remain on someone in John 3:36?

All who are outside of Christ will perish.

To be "In Christ" means that you are trusting in his righteousness and in his atonement for your sins, plus nothing.

No Calvinism, No religion, No nothing. Faith in Christ alone.

NickCharles

All who are outside of Christ will perish.

To be "In Christ" means that you are trusting in his righteousness and in his atonement for your sins, plus nothing.

No Calvinism, No religion, No nothing. Faith in Christ alone.

You, as usual, are not addressing the question. You are just spouting your theology. Please read the question again and try to answer it. If you cannot, please just say so.