The Terrible God of Calvinism

beloved57

All that Romans 5:10 is saying is that... "While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" Romans 5:8.

Who is the "US"? The us is those that believe, John 3:18.

Rom 5:10 teaches that believers were reconciled to God while they were being enemies, by Christ death! So they were not believers when they were reconciled!

Robert Pate

Banned
Rom 5:10 teaches that believers were reconciled to God while they were being enemies, by Christ death! So they were not believers when they were reconciled!

That is in opposition to about 95% of the Bible.

But don't let that bother you, you still have the Canons of Dort.

beloved57

That is in opposition to about 95% of the Bible.

But don't let that bother you, you still have the Canons of Dort.

You don't believe or understand the scriptures! Those Christ lived and died for were reconciled to God by His Death while they were enemies and unbelievers Rom 5:10 ! That scripture is not going no where!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
In the Gospel, sin, death and the devil have been abolished by the doing and the dying of Jesus, Colossians 2:15.
Neither the text nor the context of that verse teach this. You sin every day of your life, most likely. Your flesh has not yet been redeemed. Paul taught this explicitly...

Romans 7:13 Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.​

Now, there is only the question of who believes and who does not believe. The judgment will determine that. Those who do not believe will have their sins imputed back to them, Romans 4:8 and they will be condemned.
This is just flatly wrong! The redemptive blood of Christ is not applied before faith but after and once applied cannot be justly removed for once saved, even when we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself! (2 Timothy 2:13). We believers are hidden in Christ! We died in Christ and it is no longer we who live but Christ lives His life through us (Galatians 2) - if we let Him. Colossians 3 makes no sense if sin has been abolished...

Colossians 3: If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

5 Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, 7 in which you yourselves once walked when you lived in them.

8 But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. 9 Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, 10 and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, 11 where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.​

The only reason you believe a syllable of this is because someone has convinced you that the doctrine of original sin is correct, a doctrine that you would never have heard of if not for Augustine. I recommend that you reject this Augustinian doctrine just as you have another Augustinian doctrine that today we call Calvinism.

The idea that we inherit a sin nature from Adam is one thing, the doctrine that teaches that men will be punished for anything other than their own sin is quite another. The notion cannot survive even a single reading of Ezekiel 18, nor really even simple common sense if you accept that God is just.

I strongly encourage you to rethink this doctrine. It seems to me to be one of those doctrinal contortions that happen when one has made a previous error. It isn't necessary to go to such extremes if you simply understand that God never had any intention of punishing anyone for Adam's sin other than Adam.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Robert Pate

Banned
Neither the text nor the context of that verse teach this. You sin every day of your life, most likely. Your flesh has not yet been redeemed. Paul taught this explicitly...

Romans 7:13 Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.​

This is just flatly wrong! The redemptive blood of Christ is not applied before faith but after and once applied cannot be justly removed for once saved, even when we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself! (2 Timothy 2:13). We believers are hidden in Christ! We died in Christ and it is no longer we who live but Christ lives His life through us (Galatians 2) - if we let Him. Colossians 3 makes no sense if sin has been abolished...

Colossians 3: If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

5 Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, 7 in which you yourselves once walked when you lived in them.

8 But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. 9 Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, 10 and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, 11 where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.​

The only reason you believe a syllable of this is because someone has convinced you that the doctrine of original sin is correct, a doctrine that you would never have heard of if not for Augustine. I recommend that you reject this Augustinian doctrine just as you have another Augustinian doctrine that today we call Calvinism.

The idea that we inherit a sin nature from Adam is one thing, the doctrine that teaches that men will be punished for anything other than their own sin is quite another. The notion cannot survive even a single reading of Ezekiel 18, nor really even simple common sense if you accept that God is just.

I strongly encourage you to rethink this doctrine. It seems to me to be one of those doctrinal contortions that happen when one has made a previous error. It isn't necessary to go to such extremes if you simply understand that God never had any intention of punishing anyone for Adam's sin other than Adam.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Why would Christ who is holy, harmless and separate from sinners, Hebrews 7:26 want to live his life through us?

beloved57

Evidence that I have the truth is that I accept the whole Bible and consider it to be the word of God.

You struggle with the scriptures and change words and meanings that don't fit your Calvinist doctrine.

You need to first believe the Gospel!

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You need to first believe the Gospel!

You need to believe the gospel;

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 King James Version (KJV)

1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: