The Sun Stood Still

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
could someone .. anyone .. please describe what they think might happen if a large object overtook earth.

gravitational effects, spin effects, bipolar effects ...

i personally think the earth would alter its orbit speed according to the position of the large object. as it was catching up, earths orbit would slow down. after it overtook earth would speed up. net effect - negligible.. some crazy tides...?

nothing would happen to the tilt or spin rate of the earth.

what would happen to the moon and sun relative to earth.

that seems to be what this thread was originally about and i really dont think it should be that hard to answer.

or we could just call the fire brigade for those poor solmans.

Mustard Seed

fool said:
Bob b Gave me a neg rep for this!
What a hypocrite!
What's Yaweh made out of Bob?

Too true. He's got an 'open mind' up to the point of positing that God might not be the only entity that is made differently from earthly, 'organic' life.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
i had negreps once. doctors appointment and a perscription for a strange pinkish ointment cleared that right up.

$NT120 please.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
im sure it wouldnt even take a computer model .. .

anybody?

please?

how big would it have to be to slow the earth down .. if thats indeed as it would happen ..

fool

Hall of Fame
stipe said:
im sure it wouldnt even take a computer model .. .

anybody?

please?

how big would it have to be to slow the earth down .. if thats indeed as it would happen ..
Bob B claims that back in his profesional days he had software he used to model cruise missles with. Now he dosen't. Seems someone as old as him who understood the math would be able to model it with a slide rule (slide rule=old fashion calculator made outa wood) And seein as The Phy is a physics guy he'd be able to understand what Bob was talkin if it went over our heads. But Bob has already hit the eject button on this concept and admited he dosen't have a model, even though it seems like a missle man would.
I'd build a model for Bob if I knew how, just to show him that any way you slice it you'd spill your coffee. But Bob's to busy neg reppin me to listen so here we're at.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
i wasnt asking for bob to do it ... anyone sufficiently endowed should be able to do it ...

what would you guess the effects might be?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
ok .. im going to have a shot at this myself.

the earth is rotating once every 24 hours and orbiting every 365 days

a large object on a seperate orbit happens to approach earth and does it in a way that for a short while approximates earths orbit. it overtakes earth and continues on its way.

while it is catching up earth is temporarily attracted to this new gravitational influence and slows its orbit. its rotation is unaffected. how does this affect the relative position of the sun in the sky? i say the sun will slow down in the sky ... but it wouldnt slide sideways or anything difficult to explain.

er...

i cant do this ... explain myself that is ... it seems to make sense in my head, but then again thats never been a clear guide for anything ...

someone else please...

ThePhy

Bob - it looks like you have opted to ignore this thread. Earlier in this thread you said that:
it was pointing out to people what most engineers and physicists already know about gyroscopes,
And:
In the past I have found that many of my brilliant technical ideas were usually originally rejected, but it was very common to hear the same idea being expoused later
You often allude to your distinguished career as an engineer in science and even went so far as to challenge fools implication that you had a problem with vectors:
Well I do obviously know about vectors since my early experience in industry was in devising mathematical and computer models for the simulation of missile and ICBM trajectory analysis
So you are smart, you know about vectors, you understand gyroscopes, and you said:
Any disturbance of a gyroscope, and that is what the constantly spinning Earth is, would cause a precession of the axis, a wobble if you will.
Note everything above I have put in this post is not unique to Joshua’s long day. This is talking about basic physics and engineering, and relying on your own claims of technical competence. Rolf Ernst and Ninevah both patted you on the back in this thread. Don’t let them down. Show them you have the technical competence to stand behind your claim. Be a man, a real Christian. You can do it, Bob. Show TOL what you’ve got. Chin up, put on the full armor. Just some simple math. We know your demonstrated history of math on this site is something less than below and under and beneath competent, but hey, here’s your chance for redemption. Pumped up yet bob?

Simple question for someone who truly understands orbits and such:
if a force is directed though the center of mass of the spinning earth, would that cause a precession of the earth’s axis?
Rah rah Bob. Remember - “The Black Knight always triumphs”. Come on Black Knight, struggle back up on your horse, put your foot in that little semicircle thing (that’s called a stirrup) hold on to that ropy thing around the horses neck (called the reins). That long stick is called a lance. Just hold it straight out level in front of you, shut your eyes, kick the horse in the ribs and hang on. The Black Knight rides again.

BTW – Please don’t tell us that you are going to “triumph” again (which in this thread apparently means running and hiding for a year or so, and trying to enter your broken down Joshua day nag in some new jousting contest where you hope they have not heard of you).

ThePhy

Bump

Has the Black Knight retired, or lost his vectors under his chain mail, or is he busy computing intercontinental trajectories for his trusty steed, or trying to learn what he really should have know when he was a pretend engineer?

Bob???

Real Sorceror

Oh good, this isnt what I thought it was. For a second there I thought bob b was trying to prove that the Sun revolves around the Earth or something. My bad.