The Sun Stood Still

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In another thread I listed the four passages in scripture that were used by some priests to claim that the Bible agreed with Aristotle's idea that the heavens rotated around a stationary Earth. Perhaps the most powerful of these verses (the others were from the poetry of Psalms and Ecclesiastes ) was the story of the Sun and Moon standing still for Joshua.

Interestingly there is more to this story.

I can understand that people who are not well acquainted with physics might think that the Joshua story is an obvious fairytale.

Actually, it is only today that some are beginning to understand that the story may have recorded an eyewitness account of an amazing phenomenon in the heavens: a near miss of the Earth by a large heavenly body.

Any disturbance of a gyroscope, and that is what the constantly spinning Earth is, would cause a precession of the axis, a wobble if you will. This could have the temporary effect of delaying the setting of the Sun, or else delaying its rise, depending upon where the observer was on the surface of the Earth. (Incidentally, this would not affect the constant speed of rotation of either a gyroscope or the spinning Earth.)

It is interesting that the Joshua story records that the movement of the Moon was also affected, which is just what one would expect to happen if the spinning Earth had been disturbed during a “near miss”. How did the “mythmakers” know to throw in that detail?

Finally, there is another “myth”, this one from the Far East, that records a phenomenon known as a double sunrise, an event where the sun rose slightly in the morning, went back down, and then rose again. Could this have been the same event as Joshua’s, except viewed from a different earthly vantage point?

Last edited:

Stratnerd

holy handwaving batman!

let the post hoc games.... begin! [cheers]:bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Strat, you are even more juvenile than I had previously thought. No wonder you have been so easily brainwashed into believing in "uphill" evolution. ;)

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What is interesting to me is that people can believe that the Moon was created by a collision of the Earth with a Mars-sized heavenly body, but any suggestion that a story in scripture might have a scientific explanation behind it is met with instant derision.

Jukia

Does the Bible indicate how long this event lasted? And since you are so sure of Biblical historical accuracy, how long ago this this event take place???
Thanks

Stratnerd

scientific explanation behind it is met with instant derision.
scientific????? you're kidding, right?

It isn't scientific to allude to "scientifically" valid principles or laws in order to make your preconceived Truths fits reality. These "Truths" should be arrived at via the same methods that the principles came from; that is, using evidence and inference.

When you don't do this you end up with laughable explanations such as super-speed tectonics, super long-lived genetic super people, vapor barriers, no rainbows or rain, super speciation, super light speed, etc etc.

The other thing you end up with is a tangled weave of post hoc story telling to explain away all the problems those things create.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Re: The Sun Stood Stll

Re: The Sun Stood Stll

Originally posted by bob b
Finally, there is another “myth”, this one from the Far East, that records a phenomenon known as a double sunrise, an event where the sun rose slightly in the morning, went back down, and then rose again. Could this have been the same event as Joshua’s, except viewed from a different earthly vantage point?

Wow!

Do you have some more info on this?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And now the rest of the story.

It is well known by astronomers and interested laypersons that meteors and comets are not alone in their heavenly orbits: they are accompanied by smaller bodies which sometimes collide with the earth in the form of “shooting stars”. Back in the 1800’s an amazing display of such “fireworks” was seen by millions in the United States. Compared to this rare event our periodic meteor showers pale in comparison.

Joshua 10:11 And it came to pass, as they fled from before Israel, and were in the going down to Bethhoron, that the LORD cast down great stones from heaven upon them unto Azekah, and they died: they were more which died with hailstones than they whom the children of Israel slew with the sword. 12 Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. 13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. 14 And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the LORD hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the LORD fought for Israel.

Now the point of my posting is not that this story has not been changed somewhat over time to a myth, but, like the myth of the parting of the Red Sea, that the basis of the myth was an actual event originally recorded by eyewitnesses to its happening.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Strat,

It is interesting to me that you would refer to the Genesis records of "long-lived" people, for this may well have been the original condition of humanity before the gradual process of mutational degradation began. An alternative or additional process that might contribute to our aging would be the known rapid decay of the Earth's magnetic field, with the subsequent loss of shielding from damaging cosmic rays, which some doctors believe causes an accumulation of damage over a person's lifetime with the inevitable result in death.

Stratnerd

what comes to mind is the old-school hip-hop lyrics...

"put your hands in the air.. and wave them like you just don't care"

Jukia

Originally posted by bob b

the Genesis records of "long-lived" people, for this may well have been the original condition of humanity before the gradual process of mutational degradation began.

More nonsense with no basis in evidence.

Rolf Ernst

Stratnerd--yeah, you really are. Remember the multitude of evidences Darwin promised they would find in the fossil record?

And modern secularist scientists are still losing ground to the Bible on scientific evidences. Theologians long since dead noted that the Bible's Hebrew words translated the "curtains of heaven" did, in literal translation, express the substance of space as a "fine, thin fabric." and your "modern" (ha, ha) scientists just in the past few months FINALLY became enlightened enough to speak of "the very fabric of space." Do a google search for "frame dragging", Stratnerd.

The arrogance of you and your smug "scientists" is unbelievable. Here we are at the beginning of the 21st century and they finally acknowledge a tangible substance to space, and at the beginning of the 20th century, your "scientists" were competing with one another for recognition as the preiminent astronomer by announcing that they had, after counting, confirmed that the number of stars was actually a greater number than the astronomer before them had been able to count. wow!! MILLENIA before, God had told Abram that the stars could NOT be counted
because of their multitude.

YEAH!! YOU REALLY GOT A PROBLEM WITH EVIDENCES!! Right now your so-called scientists are wasting our tax dollars trying to discover the origin of the universe. Well, stand back big shot!! We can tell you about the END of the universe. YOU REALLY DO HAVE A PROBLEM--AND WITH MORE THAN EVIDENCES.

Stratnerd

Stratnerd--yeah, you really are. Remember the multitude of evidences Darwin promised they would find in the fossil record?
he did???? have you read Origin? I've read it three or four times and I don't remember that.

And modern secularist scientists are still losing ground to the Bible on scientific evidences.
a scientis is a scientist or not - there's no such thing as another type of scientist. What? a creation scientist - there can be no such thing and I'd be happy to elaborate why.

The arrogance of you and your smug "scientists" is unbelievable. Here we are at the beginning of the 21st century and they finally acknowledge a tangible substance to space, and at the beginning of the 20th century, your "scientists"
yup we "scientists" yeeeee haw!

YOU REALLY DO HAVE A PROBLEM--AND WITH MORE THAN EVIDENCES.
tell me, if you accept a literal Genesis what does evidence have to do with anything. What I think may have happened has everything to do with evidence. What you think has NOTHING to do with evidence - for or against.

Stratnerd

sorry, but I can't stand when people say "so-called scientist" or " ' scientist' " just because they do not or can not agree with what people have worked very hard to understand.

I think it's a sad state when people neither understand science nor what scientists do.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Stratnerd

sorry, but I can't stand when people say "so-called scientist" or " ' scientist' " just because they do not or can not agree with what people have worked very hard to understand.

I think it's a sad state when people neither understand science nor what scientists do.

Either that or we do understand too well.

Stratnerd

From the comments offered by him, you, Ninevah, and Mustard Seed it's obvious you guys don't. Not even the basics.

Depressing really.