The Simplicity of the Gospel / The Complicated Religions

Robert Pate

Banned
It says "there are three that bear record," it does not say "Trinity," or "Godhead." Such attributed titles are found in sources outside of the Bible. However, they are supported by Biblical quotes and evidence. Such sources are letter of the apostles, letters and preachings of those who were apprenticed to the apostles, various early church sermons, etc. As I said, when you do research of the earliest Christians, the results point to Catholic Doctrines, such as the Trinity, the hypo static nature of Christ, and so forth.

The trinity is not a Catholic doctrine, it is a biblical doctrine. Jesus said, "I and my Father are one" John 10:30.

The word "Catholic" does not appear in the New Testament.

jsanford108

The trinity is not a Catholic doctrine, it is a biblical doctrine. Jesus said, "I and my Father are one" John 10:30.

The word "Catholic" does not appear in the New Testament.

Nor does the word Trinity or Godhead.

Also, using John 10:20, that does not point to a Trinity, (It is confirmation for those of us that accept and know it is) but rather a duo. It could also be argued that it doesn't meant a literal "oneness," since the same vocabulary is used for marriage (man and wife becoming one).

Now, you and I know that John 10 is a confirmation of the Trinity. But it doesn't include the Holy Spirit as part of it.

The Trinity is both a catholic and a Christian doctrine, backed by biblical evidence.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Robert Pate

Banned
Nor does the word Trinity or Godhead.

Also, using John 10:20, that does not point to a Trinity, (It is confirmation for those of us that accept and know it is) but rather a duo. It could also be argued that it doesn't meant a literal "oneness," since the same vocabulary is used for marriage (man and wife becoming one).

Now, you and I know that John 10 is a confirmation of the Trinity. But it doesn't include the Holy Spirit as part of it.

The Trinity is both a catholic and a Christian doctrine, backed by biblical evidence.

In the Bible Jesus speaks of the Holy Spirit as another person, John 14:26. He also speaks of the Father as another person. And then in Genesis the scripture says, "Let US make man in our image" Genesis 1:26. Who is the US? The "us" implies that there is more than one person.

jsanford108

In the Bible Jesus speaks of the Holy Spirit as another person, John 14:26. He also speaks of the Father as another person. And then in Genesis the scripture says, "Let US make man in our image" Genesis 1:26. Who is the US? The "us" implies that there is more than one person.

I am in agreement with you, friend. I am simply pointing out that the doctrine of the Trinity is backed by biblical evidence, but never directly mentioned or taught in the Bible.

Robert Pate

Banned
I am in agreement with you, friend. I am simply pointing out that the doctrine of the Trinity is backed by biblical evidence, but never directly mentioned or taught in the Bible.

What about 1 John 5:7, 8. It doesn't say trinity, but it describes the trinity.

jsanford108

What about 1 John 5:7, 8. It doesn't say trinity, but it describes the trinity.

It makes sense to us. But for a critic or non-trinitarian, this verse would be dismissed. Saying that three are one is clear and concise to us, for we have a doctrine that makes sense of such a phenomenon.

So yes, it describes it, but not with the clarity of illustrating a Godhead. Saying three are one can be compared to saying a man and wife are one.

Also, John's letter makes sense when coupled without the apostolic teachings of the time (the Trinity in particular reference). Many sources outside of the Bible confirm that the Trinity was being taught by Christians.

Robert Pate

Banned
It makes sense to us. But for a critic or non-trinitarian, this verse would be dismissed. Saying that three are one is clear and concise to us, for we have a doctrine that makes sense of such a phenomenon.

So yes, it describes it, but not with the clarity of illustrating a Godhead. Saying three are one can be compared to saying a man and wife are one.

Also, John's letter makes sense when coupled without the apostolic teachings of the time (the Trinity in particular reference). Many sources outside of the Bible confirm that the Trinity was being taught by Christians.

Colossians 2:9 pretty well settles it. "For in him (Jesus) dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily".