ECT THE PRACTICAL NECESSITY OF AN INFALLIBLE & AUTHORITATIVE INTERPRETER

Timotheos

The Lord said, "I will build My Church." The only thing He could have possibly meant was the Holy Catholic Church.

I REALLY don't want to talk about this. But, since the Catholic Church didn't exist at the time, and wouldn't exist for another 300 years, don't you think that it is more likely that the Lord meant HIS Church, aka - The Christian Church. Especially since He said "MY Church", not "The Holy Catholic Church."

Timotheos

How did you come to that conclusion?

The claim was made that Matthew 16:18 refers to "the holy catholic church". There is no evidence that Jesus was talking about ONLY the catholics when He said "I will build my church". I think that if the catholics want every other other Christian driven out of the Church, I will just leave quietly.

Good bye.

glassjester

The claim was made that Matthew 16:18 refers to "the holy catholic church". There is no evidence that Jesus was talking about ONLY the catholics when He said "I will build my church". I think that if the catholics want every other other Christian driven out of the Church, I will just leave quietly.

Good bye.

Which denominations was He talking about?

glassjester

None in particular. Have you read Corinthians? There is ONE Flock, all of these divisions are man-made. We are ONE in Christ, there are no divisions.

I agree.

Yet there are people who do not agree on what Christ and His apostles taught.
So is that division within the flock? Or are the people who believe erroneous doctrine not actually part of the flock?

Timotheos

I agree.

Yet there are people who do not agree on what Christ and His apostles taught.
So is that division within the flock? Or are the people who believe erroneous doctrine not actually part of the flock?

Jesus said (in John 10:27-28 ESV) "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand."

He knows who are his. The divisions that people put up don't matter to him because he knows who are his. Paul wrote to the Corinthians "that there be no divisions among you", and "Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you?" This the trouble, one group makes the claim that only they have the truth and everyone must follow them. But Christ doesn't recognize these divisions, He knows who are his. People say "I am of Paul", "I am of Cephas", "I follow Peter", "I am Catholic, I am Lutheran, I am Methodist, I am Baptist", and so on. But Christ is not divided. I think the divisions spring up to weaken us, so that we will not be effective as Christ's Church.

Cruciform

It all depends on which side you are on.
Your feeble attempt at relativism is noted---and rejected as all relativism must be.

The Eastern Orthodox church had the majority and could lay claim to being 'the church'... Rome was just a western upstart.. a spoiled little mafioso Italian brat.
Already decisively answered (Post #177). :yawn:

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
13007210_956182544451563_6103187946917930164_n.jpg

Comments or Questions?

Most people here talk about infallibility and are ignorant of what is actually meant by it.