Votes: 1 1.9%
  • $21-25 per gallon

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Who cares. I'm rich.

Votes: 18 34.6%

• Total voters

fool

Hall of Fame
What do you drive? Shall those batteries charge themselves, or will you plug it into the magical receptacle? Do you power your home with solar? Wind (pity the poor birds who get chopped up)? Hydro-electric? Or do you pipe it in from the power company (fossil fuel burning plants)? The best bet for efficient, clean energy is nuclear, but the "environmentalists" put a stop to that, for the most part.

But then, maybe you were saying these things tongue-in-cheek. If so, put a chuckle on there or something.

Solar panels.
Electric cars have short ranges, my wife rarly goes further than twenty miles from the house so a car that could go sixty or so would do for her.
If the solar panels can't completely fill the need at least they help and it's free power that would otherwise be degrading my shingles.
If I plug into the grid I'm using nuclear and coal from the power company the nuclear is non-poluting and the coal comes from Pensylvania or West Virginia, niether of which are controlled by people wearing turbans.

Stargazing

In the UK fuel is up to £1.099/litre where I live, which is $7.67/gallon for you yanks out there. America's fuel seems cheap in comparison!

FellowServant

DMV Princess
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We really can't afford to pay what it is now. If/when it goes up any further, we won't be going anywhere we can't walk except for church.. well, of course my hubby will continue to go to work. Thankfully, the grocery store is just across the railroad tracks behind our house. :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
At this rate it's only a matter of time before that card swipe mechanism is replaced by a loan officer...:think:

I asked an attendant the other day if they'd consider installing a little plastic arm holding a gun at the pumps so at least I wouldn't feel as badly about the whole thing...ideally with a voice-over "Fill'er up!" command once my purchase was approved.

I think I made her nervous. :idunno:

nicholsmom

Why did you pump the gas on the van instead of into the gas tank of the van, Knight? :plain:

:chuckle:

$97.50 to fill up the diesel truck. Man, my husband has got to find time to install that fat burner on my truck, or at least make a couple hundred gallons of bio-diesel. This is killin' me.

fool

Hall of Fame
$97.50 to fill up the diesel truck. Man, my husband has got to find time to install that fat burner on my truck, or at least make a couple hundred gallons of bio-diesel. This is killin' me.

The bio diesel is a process, Mike Rowe went and did it on dirty jobs. The guy had a pretty cool set up, you might be able to start with a couple of 55 gal. drums and some plumbing pipes.

There was chemistry involved, some thing about esters, I guess a good place to start would be with a bottle of mazzola and some pots and pans and get a grip on the process.
If I build something with 55 gal drums in the garage it will be a brewery cause I had that hobby first.

Something to think about is HHO gas, search it on Youtube and grab a bag of popcorn.
I'm working on an HHO generator in my ten minutes of free time each day.

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
Well, with American ingenuity the way it is, perhaps these prices will lead to some great new innovations! I just hope it's soon enough that I can get myself to the grocery store sometime soon!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I hit my limit at 3.25. I bought a scooter :zoomin: that gets 60 to 70 mpg. $75 per tank verse $6 per tank. It works for me!

I think that is a good idea. I do not drive anymore, but when I last put gas into a tank, the price was $1.79 a gallon. I cannot explain this, but I have problems paying high prices for things even if I can easily afford them. If I were able, I too would ride a scooter, are not some able to get 100 miles a gallon?

My vote would be ‘no more than $2 a gallon, but my husband said “the higher the better because people would come to demand small fuel efficient cars without acceleration.”
Note: 4 passenger cars can be built that will cruse at 55 to 60 mph and average 55 mpg, but they have very little acceleration and cannot pass a slower moving vehicle easy as people feel it not of paramount importance as it seems today. We must get beyond driving in heightened anxiety!

Meanwhile he will pay any price, so, how can I vote?

nicholsmom

The bio diesel is a process, Mike Rowe went and did it on dirty jobs. The guy had a pretty cool set up, you might be able to start with a couple of 55 gal. drums and some plumbing pipes.

DH has a lab out back in a lean-to. He'd made more than a couple hundred gallons before he switched to a job with double the pay & as much (or as little) ot as he wants. It is getting to the point though that he can make as much on a Sunday in bio-diesel as he makes in ot pay, and stay home to boot.

DH says that 55 gallon drums are too corrosive for this process. If you want to make a cheap system, use an electric water heater because they are glass-lined. The process is called trans-esterfication - basically splitting the glycerine molecule off of the fat chain to produce biodiesel with a glycerine by-product. The glycerine, btw, burns nicely in a waste-oil burner which can be used to heat water, your home, or the bio-diesel system to reduce your production cost.

Something to think about is HHO gas, search it on Youtube and grab a bag of popcorn.

I'll give him the heads-up on this. Thanks.

Last edited:

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Bush tells Americans to give rebates to Big Oil
"The money is going to help Americans offset the high prices we're seeing at the gas pump, the grocery store, and also give our economy a boost to help us pull out of this economic slowdown," Bush said. source
:idea: So that's why gas is going up so high. You'll have no choice but to spend all your rebate money on it. Unfortunately, the price probably won't drop much after Big Oil has absorbed the $110 billion from us.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

There was chemistry involved, some thing about esters, I guess a good place to start would be with a bottle of mazzola and some pots and pans and get a grip on the process.
If I build something with 55 gal drums in the garage it will be a brewery cause I had that hobby first.

Do you do that in your spare time when you aren't making your liquefaction machine? :)

Sharri

not sure when I will stop driving to work or stop driving period. I commute one hour to and from work, highest I've seen is 3.89 for midgrade, I 'm sure it will be higher this week.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
DH has a lab out back in a lean-to. He'd made more than a couple hundred gallons before he switched to a job with double the pay & as much (or as little) ot as he wants. It is getting to the point though that he can make as much on a Sunday in bio-diesel as he makes in ot pay, and stay home to boot.

DH says that 55 gallon drums are too corrosive for this process. If you want to make a cheap system, use an electric water heater because they are glass-lined. The process is called trans-esterfication - basically splitting the glycerine molecule off of the fat chain to produce biodiesel with a glycerine by-product. The glycerine, btw, burns nicely in a waste-oil burner which can be used to heat water, your home, or the bio-diesel system to reduce your production cost.

I'll give him the heads-up on this. Thanks.
Is he using waste veggie oil?