The most beautiful word in the English language is.....

PureX

I think "mumbly peg" is an excellent term. It somehow infers clumsiness and finality at the same time. It's my favorite on the list.

PureX

anna, here's something I think you'll appreciate. It's from a Bob Dylan interview ...

BOB DYLAN: "The first girl that I remember liking me, her name was Gloria Story - Gloria Story, I mean, that was her real name. The second girlfriend was named Echo. That's pretty strange. I've never met anybody named Echo. Both these girls, by the way, brought out the poet in me."

:)

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
May I cheat a bit and entertain an Italian word for a moment?

chiaroscuro

Everytime I say it I smell paint.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
anna, here's something I think you'll appreciate. It's from a Bob Dylan interview ...

BOB DYLAN: "The first girl that I remember liking me, her name was Gloria Story - Gloria Story, I mean, that was her real name. The second girlfriend was named Echo. That's pretty strange. I've never met anybody named Echo. Both these girls, by the way, brought out the poet in me."

:)

Gloria Story, that's a name that you just wouldn't forget. I probably won't - next time I meet a Gloria, I'll probably think of Gloria Story. :chuckle:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1. Are you an artist, by any chance?
2. Almost any Italian word is going to be beautiful, by definition.
3. I love the layers of meaning behind the word "pentimento."

1. I am not by any stretch. My wife was an art teacher/art historian. I met her in college, and I spent a lot of time with her in the art building. It always had this incredible smell of clay and moisture and paint....earthy.
2. :think: That is probably true.
3. I had heretofore never heard that word.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Art history is fascinating to me and I enjoyed the classes I took in it, but I always knew when I was in that building that I was just passing through, a sojourner in a strange land.
I know what you mean about earthy, and now that I think about it, earthy in that sense is a beautiful and evocative word. :think:

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The most beautiful word in the English language is.....

The word beautiful

Though a proper name ... Joesph

One of our family names too ... Sarah-Jayne

Then

Somewhat of an ugly word ... whatever

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
:chuckle:

Everything sounds wonderful with an Australian accent :D

I agree. :chuckle:

I love listening to people with accents. We Americans really do rip to shred words that by rights ought to sound beautiful. I read an interesting study about how we form our "r" sound differently than IIRC every other linguistic group. Reminds me of this: (start at about the 1 min. mark)

My American Accent