the history of Islam

brewmama

Say what? The "Christians" have done despicable things throughout history, but it is a myth that Christians destroyed the great library if that is what you are hinting at. Most of that library was decimated by a fire due to the Romans, longbefore Christians were in any position to do any such thing.
In fact, if it weren't for the monastics, there would be no Greek classics at all. They even copied texts they disagreed with severely, simply for their value. The same is the case in the eastern empire. The Greek philosophical and medical texts were preserved by the church. The Byzantines were the greatest practitioners of medicine in their time, because they greatly valued the value of medical knowledge to heal people, which obviously was a focus of the church. That the Arabs preserved those writings is a myth as well, what they did was to try and gather it all under one language, namely Arabic (which in itself is a noble effort, but not the same thing).

That Christians in antiquity sought to destroy knowledge is a myth perpetrated by fanatical enlightenment enthusiasts, creating their own salvation history by portraying themselves as liberating Europe from a barbaric past. Cities like Alexandria sure could be volatile places, but that had little to with Christianity. During times of peace, Christians and pagans studied under each other as masters and pupils.

Ah! Some sanity!!

republicanchick

as someone once said

to be deep in history is to cease being...

[if not Protestant... at least Anti-Catholic]

but the original quote uses the word Protestant

(was this said by the convert Newman?)

___

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Yep. They built their "culture" on conquered Byzantine achievements.
The subsequent unfolding of history after the beginning of one of the world’s great faiths has not been exactly kind. Christianity and Islam have become the kind of religions that both Jesus and Muhammed would reject.

Greg Jennings

LOL! 97%! That sounds a lot like the mythical 97% of global warming fame! Y'all like making up that number don't you!

The fact that you think the global warming number is made up says a lot about your ability to actually look at and study the available information. Based on that I can reasonably conclude that you have no interest in what is real, but only in what you want to be real

everready

Gods word gives us the source for global warming its all leading in this direction and it has nothing to do with islam its all about prophecy.

Revelation 16:8 And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire.

9 And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.

everready

Greg Jennings

You don't even make sense. Islam ruled Spain for over 700 years, and conquered it by invasion, so what does that have to do with Italy?

You said I was incorrect. I said that Muslims hardly threatened Italy at all with the exception of some coastal islands, like Sicily. Spain isn't part of Italy, and therefore I'm not incorrect.

I'm making perfect sense. It seems to me like you should read my posts before responding to them

brewmama

You said I was incorrect. I said that Muslims hardly threatened Italy at all with the exception of some coastal islands, like Sicily. Spain isn't part of Italy, and therefore I'm not incorrect.

I'm making perfect sense. It seems to me like you should read my posts before responding to them

Ah, there's the problem. Actually what you said was " Europe was never under threat of invasion except for a couple islands off of the Italian coast". Maybe you should read your own posts.