the history of Islam

Greg Jennings

No doubt that Islam has its fair share of atrocities committed, but throughout the course of history Christianity is darn close. I mean, Christians are single-handedly responsible for the extermination of hundreds of millions of North and South American natives alone.

I guess that doesn't fit your narrative very well though, does it?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
No doubt that Islam has its fair share of atrocities committed, but throughout the course of history Christianity is darn close. I mean, Christians are single-handedly responsible for the extermination of hundreds of millions of North and South American natives alone.

all those battles are against christians who were just defending themselves
islam is still fighting the jews, hindus, and buddhists
as well as the christians

bybee

However, we are talking about today's atrocities. Comparing them to yesterday's atrocities doesn't solve today's problems or lessen the horrors being visited onto innocent people TODAY!

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Close to teens of millions.... And the way it's said here, he's making it seem as though all of the deaths are must when that simply isn't the case.

i wuz gonna ask him about how those horrible Christians planned to introduce influenza, bubonic plague and pneumonic plagues (which were the primary cause of population reduction in the americas during the colonial period)

especially when the european colonials were dying from those diseases too

Last edited:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Close to teens of millions.... And the way it's said here, he's making it seem as though all of the deaths are must when that simply isn't the case.

I am just presenting history with valid links
so
what do you have to back up your claims?

Greg Jennings

However, we are talking about today's atrocities. Comparing them to yesterday's atrocities doesn't solve today's problems or lessen the horrors being visited onto innocent people TODAY!

Well actually yes, he's talking about atrocities committed all-time. Take a look at his links

Greg Jennings

hundreds of millions, eh?

that's a lot :chuckle:

I said North and South American natives. According to scholarly estimates there were about 100 million of them, and 90+% were wiped out by Europeans.

So in summation, no not literally hundreds of millions, but about 100 million.

ok doser

I said North and South American natives. According to scholarly estimates there were about 100 million of them, and 90+% were wiped out by Europeans.

first of all, that "100 million" is a disputable figure, based on speculation more than anything else

secondly, as I posted above, the majority of the population reduction occurred through diseases that the European colonists were also suffering from

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

So in summation, no not literally hundreds of millions, but about 100 million.

where did you get this information?

Greg Jennings

i wuz gonna ask him about how those horrible Christians planned to introduce influenza, bubonic plague and pneumonic plagues (which were the primary cause of population reduction in the americas during the colonial period)

especially when the european colonials were dying from those diseases too

In order to get more land the Europeans in some cases actually gave out blankets laced with smallpox to native tribes. As you would expect, that killed off the population pretty quick.

I don't think bubonic plague was a huge deal in the New World, and it seems unlikely that Native Americans had never encountered influenza before Europeans arrived, though it was certainly a different strain.

ok doser

In order to get more land the Europeans in some cases actually gave out blankets laced with smallpox to native tribes.

that happened once, at least in north america

and why were those blankets "laced with" smallpox?

did europeans carry smallpox in vials just to lace blankets?

nope - they were dropping like flies from it too

again - the primary cause of the reduction in population of indigenous peoples was the unintended transmission of disease

Greg Jennings

first of all, that "100 million" is a disputable figure, based on speculation more than anything else

secondly, as I posted above, the majority of the population reduction occurred through diseases that the European colonists were also suffering from

It is an estimate obviously, but there's no reason to expect it to be very inaccurate.

Europeans didn't suffer like the natives because they had developed resistance to those diseases through years of exposure (evolution at work). The natives had no immunity, and as I told you above the Europeans sometimes purposefully used biological warfare in the form of blankets laced with disease to accomplish land grabs

Greg Jennings

that happened once, at least in north america
It was admitted to once (at least I think only once). Do you honestly think that these people who clearly had no qualms about killing natives wouldn't have done this repeatedly, and covered their backs when the tribes died by saying, "Oops. Guess they got sick. Don't know how it happened. But now we have more land!"?

again - the primary cause of the reduction in population of indigenous peoples was the unintended transmission of disease
That is true. But tens of millions were still killed intentionally. You can't just sweep tens of millions under the rug.

Greg Jennings

No but that'll do. From that link: "Most scholars writing at the end of the 19th century estimated the pre-Columbian population at about 10 million; by the end of the 20th century the scholarly consensus had shifted to about 50 million, with some arguing for 100 million or more."

Nice fake name you gave the webpage btw. It's actually a great source for anyone to read through if they'd like to see how bad it really was