The Heretics Message to the World:Be Baptized to be Saved! (HOF thread)

Kevin

CoCrucified,

I have decided it's time for me to move on to other threads,

That's really a bummer. I was really enjoying our discussion. I hope you at least take to time to consider my last post to you, I put a lot of effort into it. Either way, God bless you.

However when you say this:

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness."

I would urge strong caution to calling the defense of Christ's commandment of baptism for the forgivness of sins "vain babblings." :down:

God bless.

Shaun

Originally posted by Kevin
Shaun,

First of all, I'm not Catholic or part of any denomination. I'm a member of the chuch of Christ... so don't worry, I'm certainly not trying to convert you to Catholicism. ;)
That's good to hear. ;)

Regarding grace and baptism, you should read my latest post to CoCrucified. I put some good effort to show that we are not earning our salvation by works. I'm fully aware that we are saved by the Grace of God through faith in His Son. If you care to read it, that would be great. If not, ok.

God bless you Shaun.
Done. Thanks for being a mature believer. They are hard to find.

God bless,
Shaun

geralduk

Originally posted by CoCrucified
Absolutely correct, and that's why this is such a vital element to our salvation. If there is any lack of faith, we cannot please God.

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."
Heb 11:6 (NKJV)

Not sure what you meen by this.
Pehaps to claryfy something.

To be SAVED ie "BORNagain"
Is only the BEGINning of our SALVATION.

In that even as we are BORN into this world are are NOW a part AND CITEZEN of it.
So too are we BORNagain of the "WATER(WORD) and the Spirit into the kingdom of God and are NOW also a citezen of it.
Then we ARE SAVED.
You cannot even SEE the kingdom of God without being BORNagain let alone entering it.

But having been BORN of the Word and ther Spirit.
We ARE "the sons of God"
and therefore SAVED.

BUT that is not ALL there is to our SALVATION.
God has but laid the FOUNDATION to the building.
What we build on it is another matter.(see PAUL)

BAPTISM therefore has NOTHING to do with being SAVED that is of GRACE and not of (ANY) work.
But is PART of our SALAVATION.
For in that the children of ISREAL were ALREADY saved by the time they came to jordan.
Now it was thier WILLING obedience as SAVED to the WILL of God and their willing CONFORMITY to the DEATH of the old life that had gone before.
Jesus "in whom WAS life" nevertheless WILLINGLY submitted Himself to the WILL of God the FATHER "even the death of the cross"
and so to fullfill ALL rightousness was baptised.
ALL rightousness is both that which is of the LAW and that which is "not of the law"
Therefore we who claim to be His should also be WILLING to CONFORM our BODIES to that DEATH which GOD has ALREADY wrought in Christ and by faith we have accepted and belived in our hearts through faith. and now do conform our BODIES by faith to that PERFECT will of God.
and in the fullfillment of rightousness.
NOT for the establishment of our OWN as some claim though with subtlety.
But in the DEMONSTRATION or MANIFESTATION of Gods.
For we by so doing do OPENLY CONFESS both the RIGHTOUSNESS of the LAW which we have believed in our hearts and the RIGHTOUSNESS which is by the FAITH in Him who died.
and as we openly confess GOD before men God so God openly confesses us before men in that we are blessed with that gift of God the Holy Spirit.
Not for our glory but Gods and the declaraion of HIS righousness and the resurection of His Son.
For by so doing we lay that foundation in BAPTISM of that "PRESENTATION of our bodies as a living sacrafice holy and acceptabel unto God which is our reasonable service"
So it IS vital if we would WALK perfectly before God and seek to do His will.
More it is a scource of continjued strenght and a witness to the devil and all principalaties and powers in heavenly places that from that moment on we are dead to sin and alive unto God and the ONLY purpose we ahve on this earth si to do the will of God.

Our SALAVATION then STARTED when we were BORNagain that is when we were delivered from the bondage of Egypt and the Pharoah.Which were a type for the WORLD and the DEVIL.
This cant be undone.
But the FLESH has also to be dealt with and "brought under"
THE DOMINION of the Spirit.

Baptism is also a BEGINNING in that it is or should be the FIRST manifestation of that RIGHTOUSNESS which has ALREADY been counted to us because of our belief in Him.
and what we have believed in our hearts and have confessed with our mouths.
we now give our BODIES to.
So ALL is now on the alter.
But the confusion that abounds here is the devils work.
For even as the children of ISREAL WERE ABOUT TO EMBARK in the systematic destruction of the stronholds of the wicked and to "bind the strongman and take his goods"
is it any wonder tehn the devil would have Gods people going around unsure and uncertain of the truth?
For while they are so his 'cities' and "gates" are safe.

So it is vital to our SALAVATION but NOT to being SAVED.

It is when the gospel is REDUCED to being BORNagain and our SALAVaTION to the deliverence FROM sin is where the confusion starts.
Paul said of some that they were needing to be taught once again of BAPTISM when they should be teachers of it.
Baptism and all the other things he spoke of in the same passage have been made the MAIN things OF THE GOSPEL!
when HE spoke of them as being the MILK of the Word.
That they who were in such a position were in danger!
But were to LEAVE the BASICS and "to GO ONTO PERFECTION"
Not that we forsake SOUND DOCTRIN.
But a house is laid on a foundation THEN "line upon line precept upon precept"
You CANT go on to 'higher maths' without firsdt grasping the elementary addition,multiplication and division.
Without those you cannot do ANYTHING.
but the HIGHTS AND DEPTHS AND BREADTHS are learnt by going on!

A BABY BORN into this world has to GROW in the knowledge and wisdom of it and will PROGRESIVELY be able to FUNCTION and WORK in it.
So too in the kingdom of God.
We are BORN again into the kingdom of God.
and we too must grow in Grace and in the knowldge of GOD ABND AS WE DO SO WE ALSO WILL BE THE MORE ABLE TO FUCNCTION AND WORK IN IT.

Last edited:

drbrumley

KEVIN,
quote from Kevin:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So you believe we are automatically baptized with the HS upon believing the word of God?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from CoCrucified:

Yes, upon accepting the work of Jesus Christ on the cross.

Question by Kevin:

Ok, then why weren't the Samaritans in Acts 8:5-16 automatically Spririt baptized upon beleiving the word of God?:

Answer to Kevin:

Because the mystery which is the Body of Christ had not started as of yet.

Last edited:

HopeofGlory

Answer to Kevin:

Because the mystery which is the Body of Christ had not started as of yet.

Well said but Kevin has no idea of this reality therefore his understanding is void of right division. I have made tried on many occasions to show him this truth but he holds to his ignorance fearing that what he understands as truth is nothing more than lies leaving him with his self righteous works that are nothing more than filthy rags..

Kevin

Hope,

Well said but Kevin has no idea of this reality therefore his understanding is void of right division. I have made tried on many occasions to show him this truth but he holds to his ignorance fearing that what he understands as truth is nothing more than lies leaving him with his self righteous works that are nothing more than filthy rags..

Ummm... ya. Whatever you say...

You are good at dividing alright. At least I can understand why Paul said what he did in 1Cor by backing it with the context of scripture, rather than indulging in your theory that Christ somehow abolished baptim, which is found nowhere in scripture.

Last edited:

HopeofGlory

Originally posted by Kevin
Hope,

Ummm... ya. Whatever you say...

You are good at dividing alright. At least I can understand why Paul said what he did in 1Cor by backing it with the context of scripture, rather than indulging in your theory that Christ somehow abolished baptim, which is found nowhere in scripture.

You are indeed dull of hearing!

I have never said that Christ abolished baptism. The scriptures tell us that Jesus will provide a greater witness than that of John and I believe that witness is His shed blood for remission of sins NOT a new water baptism as you would have us believe. You take your ridiculous doctrine to the point that it was necessary for those baptized by John to be re-baptized. Baptism is an operation of God that places us into the body of Christ NOT an operation of men.

Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth. John 5:33
But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved. John 5:34
He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light. John 5:35
But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me. John 5:36

The greater witness is NOT a new water baptism for remission.

For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. Matt. 26:28

For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. Acts 1:5

Kevin

Please....

Please....

Hope,

You are indeed dull of hearing!

I have never said that Christ abolished baptism. The scriptures tell us that Jesus will provide a greater witness than that of John and I believe that witness is His shed blood for remission of sins NOT a new water baptism as you would have us believe.

In your dispy view, water baptism was required for the forgivenss of sins until a greater witness came along and replace water baptism. RIGHT? You say that water baptism is no longer necessary for the forgiveness of sins, which means at some point, water baptism, in your view, was done away with (A.K.A. ABOLISHED) as the method of having sins forgiven!

rene

drbrumley writes: Kevin, may I ask you this question. Baptism was an ordinance given to by God to Isreal. A LAW! Just like the tithe! A LAW! Are you saved to keep the law? In other words, do you think a Christian is saved by faith, but then will be made perfect by following the law?

My reply: Christ appears to his disciples, Mat. 28:18. and sends them to baptize and teach all nations.

Mat 28:16 Jesus' eleven disciples went to a mountain in Galilee, where Jesus had told them to meet him.
Mat 28:17 They saw him and worshiped him, but some of them doubted.
Mat 28:18 Jesus came to them and said: I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth!
Mat 28:19 Go to the people of all nations and make them my disciples. Baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit,
Mat 28:20 and teach them to do everything I have told you. I will be with you always, even until the end of the world.

Mat 28:19 -
All the nations (panta ta ethnē). Not just the Jews scattered among the Gentiles, but the Gentiles themselves in every land. We are to be ready for his coming at any time and to look for it joyfully. We are to push on the campaign for world conquest. This program includes making disciples or learners (mathēteusate) such as they were themselves. That means evangelism in the fullest sense and not merely revival meetings. Baptism is part of this - that is if we take the words of Jesus to heart.

Baptism is clearly stated by Jesus.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
immersion............

immersion............

Greetings all,

This is amazing - 250 pages - I read the first 2 pages to get the gist of the thread here.

My opinion -

Indeed we are saved thru faith. Water baptsim is a rite included in the community as part of obedience to the faith. It is generally an accepted, even required rite....expressive of ones faith in Christ - representing ones identification with Christ - his death, burial and resurrection. In this drama one 'dies' and is 'reborn' in the Spirit of God or the Christ - it celebrates ones death and new life in Christ.

The immersion of the Spirit may happen before actual water baptism - the physical act of baptism in water is a testament/sign of immersion in the Spirit/new life in Christ. The physical act has no magical power....but it enhances ones faith in the newness of life....and serves to augment/inspire ones faith in God personally and unto the faith community(at least in the realm of conscience). It is not necessarily part of the gospel message....but is a commandment for believers and/or at least a general procedure with new converts.

It is evident water baptism is not absolutely necessary for one to be saved. As far as the quotes from Jesus in the gospels about 'baptism'......at the end of Matt., Mark......there are some who feel these verses were added later(interpolated).

Water baptism is a ritual expressive of ones faith.....- this 'faith' being the element that effects ones salvation. The physical act is a sign of obedience to the faith and general acceptance of the gospel message.

Genuine faith matured into fruition or perfection will produce accompanying works. Faith wholly and completely manifested or carried thru is expressed/proved via works....or else it is not living faith. Faith is fulfilled thru action. Therefore living faith that produces works is effectual. Water baptism.....as performed in faith...is a testimony of ones faith - but it is the faith that avails to effect/procure ones salvation - the act serves to evidentiate the faith.....making it complete.

A living faith and relationship with God thru the Christ grants one salvation, illumination, liberty. All outward signs, acts, rites are only supplements to the core of ones faith-expression.

Our ultimate baptism is in GOD - who is true Love, Light, Life, Spirit, Truth. Our spiritual immersion in the Life-current of the Christ is what is essential - our regeneration from above - our inner-mergence within the Spirit of God. O glory! - this is the source-spring of our regeneration and eternal Life.

In the Spirit,

paul

JustAChristian

Great Response...

Great Response...

Originally posted by rene
drbrumley writes: Kevin, may I ask you this question. Baptism was an ordinance given to by God to Isreal. A LAW! Just like the tithe! A LAW! Are you saved to keep the law? In other words, do you think a Christian is saved by faith, but then will be made perfect by following the law?

My reply: Christ appears to his disciples, Mat. 28:18. and sends them to baptize and teach all nations.

Mat 28:16 Jesus' eleven disciples went to a mountain in Galilee, where Jesus had told them to meet him.
Mat 28:17 They saw him and worshiped him, but some of them doubted.
Mat 28:18 Jesus came to them and said: I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth!
Mat 28:19 Go to the people of all nations and make them my disciples. Baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit,
Mat 28:20 and teach them to do everything I have told you. I will be with you always, even until the end of the world.

Mat 28:19 -
All the nations (panta ta ethnē). Not just the Jews scattered among the Gentiles, but the Gentiles themselves in every land. We are to be ready for his coming at any time and to look for it joyfully. We are to push on the campaign for world conquest. This program includes making disciples or learners (mathēteusate) such as they were themselves. That means evangelism in the fullest sense and not merely revival meetings. Baptism is part of this - that is if we take the words of Jesus to heart.

Baptism is clearly stated by Jesus.

A grand slam homerun in any park!!!

Great Post, rene

JustAChristian

o2bwise

Baptism

Baptism

Salvation is the making righteous of an individual. Death is in SIN.

Anyone who has begun to allow God to change his heart to be like God's, is BEING saved.

Baptism is an immersion of the character of Christ in the believer. It is the completion of that work.

Thus:

TO BE BAPTIZED AND TO BE SAVED ARE THE SAME THING!!!

(Water baptism is, of course, a metaphor.)

God Bless,

Tony (o2)

geralduk

Re: Baptism

Originally posted by o2bwise

Anyone who has begun to allow God to change his heart to be like God's, is BEING saved.

Baptism is an immersion of the character of Christ in the believer. It is the completion of that work.

Thus:

God Bless,

Tony (o2)

This is FALSE.
iT SI written:
"NOW are we the sions of God" and therefore aer SAVED.
Theses things are written that ye may KNOW you HAVE eternal life (not getting it)
Therefore water baptism is not a WORK in which we are saved or beign saved by doing so.
But it the CONFORMITY of the BODY to that which has ALREADY been done in the heart>
It is that FOUNDATIONAL ACT of the "presenting your bodies as a living sacrafice unto God which is our reasonable service"
It is NOT to make ourslvers rightous but it is the CONSUQUENCE of a RIGHTOUSNESS that has ALREACDY been COUNTED TO US BECAUSE OF CHRIST>#
iT IS NOT A METAPHORE but an act according to the PATTERN and "the law of Christ"
God can be workign in the heart but you can still not be saved!
To be saved you must be BORN of the WATER(that is the WORD) and the Spirit"
It is to "come to the knowledge of the truth" and receive it and turn away fro faith in men or yourslef and unto God which comes when you UNDERSTAND the message of God.
Baptism is not the imersion of Christs character into US but we conforming to His DEATH.

Last edited:

o2bwise

What Is The Difference?

What Is The Difference?

geralduk,

Yes, there are texts that say we are saved, but so also, there are texts that say we are BEING saved.

What do you do with those?

Baptism is not the imersion of Christs character into US but we conforming to His DEATH.
And what is the difference?

God Bless,

Tony (o2)

JustAChristian

Thus:

God Bless,

Tony (o2)

Water baptism is a command not a metaphor. It is essential in order to enter the spiritual body of Christ the church. (Acts 2:47). Christ will save those in the body )Eph 5:23). Baptism is not something done because you are saved but in order to be saved and cleansed of sins (Acts. 22:16). Does it make sense to be cleansed and in Christand still have your passed sins? No, of course not. Baptism is essential to be saved. Listen to the Bible!

JustAChristian :angel:

geralduk

Re: What Is The Difference?

Re: What Is The Difference?

geralduk,

Yes, there are texts that say we are saved, but so also, there are texts that say we are BEING saved.

What do you do with those?

And what is the difference?

God Bless,

Tony (o2)

Being 'SAVED' is being BORNagain and even as a child is BORN into this world is ALIVE and kicking and having been BORN is a child of THIS WORLD.
So likewise are we BORN into the kingdom of God.
There is only a ONCE BORN into this world there is only a ONCE born into the coming kingdom.
our SALAVTION though consists or MORE than being BORN even as our LIFE in this world is.
But you can neither live in this world wiothout beign BORN as you can in the kingdom of God.
Thereforwe being SAVED is when you are BORN again and have "become partakers of the nature of God"
"NOW are we the sons of God"
Though you speak of these other verses you do not mention them?and you will find, if at all, that they are speaking our our SALAVATION and wto which we GROW into rather than being SAVED which we START with or is the FOUNDATION of all that is to folow.

Its says in Genesis for instance that a woman is "saved "by her child bearing.
Now in the light of ALL other scripture it is clear a woman is not BORNagain by giving birth to her children!
So we must read scripture in the light of ALL other scripture.
and let the scriptures be thier own interpreture.

So for clairity what are these verses you are talking about ?
and we can go further.

'SAVED' is to be BORNagain whithout which we cannot even SEE the kingdom of God let alone enter it.

Our 'SALVATION' is the FULL gospel and includes not only being BORNagain which I would liken as to the 'S' of our salvation.
But that which isALSO to be revealed in the last days.
Saved in being BORN our GREAT salvation is up to and including our perfection and potentially our part in the BRIDE OF CHRIST.
SAVED is having been BORN a baby desireing the sincere milk of the Word and our SALVATION is our growing PROGRESIVE MATURITY from "little children" to "YOUNG MEN" and to.........."....."(JOHN)
and partaking of the "MEAT of the Word" andf "going onto perfection"
SAVED is the DELIVERENCE from the POWER AND DOMINION of Egpyt and her pharoah who are but types of ther WORLD and the DEVIL.
This was acheived not by OUR works but by FAITH in Him who "doeth the works"
and by the BLOOD of a LAMB.
Our SALVATION is and does include our SANACAFACATION and our growing knowlerdge of God and learning to WALK...........by faith and not by sight.
Untill we come to the banks of the river jordan where we are CALLED not to be saved FOR WE ARE ALREADY.
But to be HOLY unto God.
and to enter into the PROMISE and those good works that God "had forordained that we should do from before the foundations of the world"
To be continued:.......

rene

"Jesus taught that people were saved by keeping the law in addition to believing in Him. The gospel Jesus taught was gradually put aside when mankind entered the dispensation of the Body of Christ. The gospel is now faith only, not the faith plus works that Jesus taught."

Where did Jesus state this?

My quote is from after His resurrection and from the instructions on how to start the church right before He was lifted into heaven.

rene

"NOW are we the sions of God" and therefore aer SAVED."

My reply:
No question that that is indeed within the bible. It is from an epistle written around 85 to 95 A.D.

The words that I quoted from Matt. 28 were the words of Jesus and were at the START of the church - spoken to people to help them know what to do to establish the church and spread the gospel to bring about disciples/followers of Jesus.

Point being - a believer that was reading the quote from 1 John 3:2 would have already KNOWN what they needed to do to be est. - since the letter is written to an est. group of believers. Unless your suggesting that they somehow became believers without following the instructions given by Jesus?