The Heretics Message to the World:Be Baptized to be Saved! (HOF thread)

c.moore

Originally posted by Francisco
c.moore,

NO :angel:
I'm sure your disobedience will be appropriately rewarded on judgement day.

PS - You need to change your smilie to a red one with a pitch fork.
[/QUOTE]

BTW .I said no because I don`t obey because I have to, I obey because I love to , and with my heart what to freely.

peace:D

c.moore

How do you like the good news formular I wrote Francisco??
??

So it goes like this.

believe(faith ,blood of Jesus)+relationship= salvation, and eternal life.

Then after all this it goes

getting washed in the Word of God,learning +obedience (baptism,helps,witnessing,good works,religious works like going to church,bible schools,etc= the christian walk,or following Jesus,also showing your fruits to others you are saved.

peace

HopeofGlory

Salvation is not just accepting Christ. You have to do that, and then you have to follow what He instructed. It's just that simple. Your initial call to faith does not equal eternal salvation.

Francisco,

When do you plan on selling all that you have and giving it to the poor? It is clear Jesus commanded it therefore if you have not obeyed and death comes calling you with not receive eternal life.

Your call to faith is through your self righteous works and you're right it does not grant eternal life. Those of us who have placed our faith in Christ and believe He finished all the work required will receive eternal life based on His righteousness.

Francisco

Hope,

When do you plan on selling all that you have and giving it to the poor? It is clear Jesus commanded it therefore if you have not obeyed and death comes calling you with not receive eternal life.
I already have, at least as far as I can without putting my family in abject poverty. And I continually look for other opportunities to give what little extra income I have, and of course any time or labor I can.

How about you?

Francisco

Hope,
Your call to faith is through your self righteous works and you're right it does not grant eternal life. Those of us who have placed our faith in Christ and believe He finished all the work required will receive eternal life based on His righteousness.
You look like your making excuses for not carrying your cross. If you believe in Jesus believe this. That if you don't pick up your cross and follow Him, you are not worthy of Him.

Francisco

So, no comments about the early church's belief in baptism for spiritual regeneration?

You know, the teaching handed down by the apostles?

You know, those guys that Jesus taught, the ones he commanded to go baptize?

Of course they probably didn't have the deep understanding Freak, c.moore and Hope have......

You guys are clowns!

I love all of you though :)

Freak

So, no comments about the early church's belief in baptism for spiritual regeneration?

You know, the teaching handed down by the apostles?

You know, those guys that Jesus taught, the ones he commanded to go baptize?

Of course they probably didn't have the deep understanding Freak, c.moore and Hope have......

You guys are clowns!

I love all of you though :)

I appreciate your love. We love you so much to share with you the truth.

You need to remember the Church Fathers were not the writers of Holy Scripture. Big difference. I'll take what the apostle Paul says over Gregory of Nyssa anyday.

HopeofGlory

Fran,

I already have, at least as far as I can without putting my family in abject poverty.

Jesus said sell "all' not some as you have done.

Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: "sell all" that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. Luke 18:22

Jesus also said...

And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God’s sake, Luke 18:29
Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting. Luke 18:30

You want to receive eternal life don't you? Obey and don't look for excuses!

And I continually look for other opportunities to give what little extra income I have, and of course any time or labor I can.

You may well make you "boast" of good works but they will not profit eternal life.

Not by "works of righteousness" which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Titus 3:5
Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; Titus 3:6
That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. Titus 3:7

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Eph. 2:8
Not of works, lest any man should "boast". Eph. 2:9

They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate. Titus 1:16

For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the 'apostles" of Christ. 2 Cor. 11:13
And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 2 Cor. 11:14
Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works. 2 Cor. 11:15

Francisco

Jay,
I appreciate your love. We love you so much to share with you the truth.

You need to remember the Church Fathers were not the writers of Holy Scripture. Big difference. I'll take what the apostle Paul says over Gregory of Nyssa anyday.
No the church fathers were not writers of Holy Scripture.

What they were was the teachers of the early church before there was a bible. The men Paul spoke of when he told Timothy:

"[W]hat you have heard from me before many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also" (2 Tim. 2:2)

Remember Jay, the Catholic Church didn't form the bible until the early 5th century. These early fathers were some of the teachers of the early church that expounded upon the traditions handed down to them from the apostles, the traditions Paul was speaking of when he said:

"Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is living in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us" (2 Thess. 3:6).

Yes my friend, all that existed in the early church, before the Catholic Church formed the bible as a teaching instrument, was apostolic tradition taught orally by the fathers of the church using OT scripture and maybe a few of the NT writings as teaching instruments. And their teaching was baptismal regeneration in water and Spirit is necessary for eternal salvation.

God Bless,

Francisco

Francisco

Hope,

Have you ever looked at a woman in a lustful way??? Have you ever done anything with your hand that might be a little embarassing to discuss here??? Come on now Hope, don't try to deny being human...

Jesus also said:

29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.

Do you have both eyes and both hands? Why do you not take this as literally as the verse you're trying to hold against me?

You're a phony Hope!

Francisco

BTW Hope,
You may well make you "boast" of good works but they will not profit eternal life.
I never boast of anything good I do, because I know that it is God's grace working in me. And I would never have said, nor have I ever before said, anything about what I do except you kept asking.

Cooperating with God's grace working in us is required, it's not optional:

12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
14 Do all things without grumbling or questioning, 15 that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain.

Try reading the whole bible instead of just the verses that support your man-made views.

Last edited:

HopeofGlory

Fran,

I have not obeyed the commands of Christ under the law because my flesh is weak. Should I, absolutely but thanks be to Christ that I don't have to!

For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: Rom. 8:3
That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Rom. 8:4
For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. Rom. 8:5

You said:
If God is working through us then we're not meriting anything Jay, we are cooperating with God as we must. And if spend our lives cooperating with God, "DOING ALL THINGS commanded of us", including baptism, then and only then will we be saved. As Jesus told us:

They say 'all we have to do is believe' and ignore the commands of the one we are supposed to believe in.

Obeying Jesus and showing him our love is not optional.
No, ?following His commands are not optional c.moore.

Do you believe we have to follow God's commands or not? A simple yes or no will do.
I'm sure your disobedience will be appropriately rewarded on judgement day.

Salvation is not just accepting Christ. You have to do that, and then you have to follow what He instructed. It's just that simple.
You have to continue to obey or the gift of grace by which you are saved is taken away from you:

I said:

Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: "sell all" that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. Luke 18:22

You have not sold all that you have as Jesus commanded to receive eternal life.

You're a hypocrite, a person who professes beliefs that they do not hold.

But don't worry Fran, Christ has provided a way for us to receive eternal life freely without works. You just have to believe it.

Last edited:

Freak

Poor Fran!

Poor Fran!

Hope, Good to see you.

Francisco, is a man with a good heart but is being very deceived thinking that some water can give you eternal life. We know Jesus only can do that!

Francisco

Hope, you Hopelessly misinterpret the hope of salvation. :D Hmmm, you ever wonder why Paul referred to it as 'hope'?

I'm not saying we aren't ever going to sin, but trying not to and asking forgiveness when we do is required, not optional.

As for your strictly literal translation of Luke 18:22 and your less than literal translation of Mark 5:29-30, can you give a clue as to when scripture is supposed to be strictly a literal translation and when it is not, or do you have to have a secret decoder ring?

You can continue to believe whatever you want, but I will bank on the Lord's words, and His teachings as handed down from the apostles to the early fathers, and as practiced for the first 1500 years of Christianity by ALL Christians, that we must be baptized to enter the kingdom of heaven.

If I don't see you up there I'll let Him know you believed in Him, you just didn't believe what He said.

Freak

Fran tells Hope: If I don't see you up there I'll let Him know you believed in Him, you just didn't believe what He said.

That is compltely insane.

He says that despite Jesus saying:

"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life."

"I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life."

I'd be very careful Francisco in making judgements that are contrary to what Jesus clearly declared.

Francisco

Jay,

Thanks for the 'good man' compliment.

However, you still haven't explained how you and Hope know so much more than all the Christians of the first 1500+ years of Christianity.

Nor have you explained how your discernment is so much better than those taught by the apostles, and the disciples of the apostles.

Remember, it wasn't just poor Francisco that got deceived, it was the whole church for 1500 years that got deceived, according to you and Hope.

Golly, I sure am glad you and Hope came along to straighten all those dumb old apostles and early Christians out. It sure is a shame Jesus didn't do a better job of teaching those apostles.

And the apostles sure seemed to have failed in their mission too. Of course it's hard to blame them. Jesus did send them out to preach and baptize, how were they supposed to know he was only kidding about the baptizing part?

And while you're straightening all of them out, you should probably straighten out the majority of Protestant Christians who also believe baptism is necessary for salvation.

Oh, BTW, I wanted to show you one more little bit of early Christian literature. This was written while the apostles were still alive, and most scholars agree it is an accurate description of the teachings of the early church from an author who knew the apostles, and some think was a personal friend of Paul's. It's called The Shepherd and was written in 80 A.D. Here's what it says about baptism:

"‘I have heard, sir,’ said I [to the Shepherd], ‘from some teacher, that there is no other repentance except that which took place when we went down into the water and obtained the remission of our former sins.’ He said to me, ‘You have heard rightly, for so it is’" (The Shepherd 4:3:1–2 [A.D. 80])

Hmmm. I thought you said baptism was only a symbol to show other men how faithful you are?

Just in case you're wondering how the early church saw this book I've done a little research for you. It seems "The Shepherd" (Poimen, Pastor), had great authority in ancient times and was ranked with Holy Scripture. Eusebius tells us that it was publicly read in the churches, and that while some denied it to be canonical, others "considered it most necessary". St. Athanasius speaks of it, together with the Didache, in connection with the deuterocanonical books of the Old Testament, as uncanonical yet recommended by the ancients for the reading of catechumens. Elsewhere he calls it a most profitable book. St. Irenaeus and Tertullian cite the "Shepherd" as Scripture. Clement of Alexandria constantly quotes it with reverence, and so does Origen, who held that the author was the Hermas mentioned by St. Paul, Rom., xvi, 14.

Just for giggles I thought I we could take a look at Rom 16:14 -

14Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobas, Hermas and the brothers with them.(Rom 16:14, NIV)

Here's another interesting quote:

"Baptism is no human plaything but is instituted by God himself. Moreover, it is solemnly and strictly commanded that we must be baptized or we shall not be saved. We are not to regard it as an indifferent matter, then, like putting on a new red coat. It is of the greatest importance that we regard baptism as excellent, glorious, and exalted" (Martin Luther, Large Catechism 4:6)

Even the early Reformers believed in the necessity of baptism Jay. It appears to me your 'no baptism' doctrine has no roots in history, and so must be an invention of modern man, a tradition of men, so to speak.

You're a good man too Jay, but you have been deceived so much you believe real Christianity just started a couple hundred years ago. Think about it Jay. I'll talk to you tomorrow if time permits.

Good night gentlemen.... you too Hope. ;)

God Bless,

Francisco

PS - One last thought before I turn out the lights:
"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."
I'm just wandering if not following what Jesus commanded us to do would be considered 'rejecting' the Son???

Maybe if you just keep saying, 'well I believed', they want notice the rejection of the Son.

Freak

I applaud your intensive research on this topic. As you know, Francisco, you and I agree when it comes to the:

*The Triune nature of God. The Holy Scripture & the Church Fathers' position on this most important doctrine is clear and we both agree.

*The work & person of the Lord Jesus Christ. I commend your stance on the Deity of Jesus Christ, His Holy virgin birth, His atoning death on the cross, His burial, His bodily resurrection, His ascension to the Father, and His physical second coming.

We agree on these essential doctrines and we both have stood together in unity on these foundations of essential Christianity. I thank God for that. But....

I'm concerned. We have differing views on how one is justified before God. I believe, that we need to turn to the Holy Scriptures (I believe for the most part the Church Fathers were in error on this doctrine in light of God's Holy Word). The Holy Scriptures are quite clear: justification is by faith alone in Jesus Christ. Water baptism is merely a symbolic act for the believer, it holds no redemptive value.

Now, it is interesting about Hermes. I'm going to look into that. But, the fact remains, the Holy Scripture has been elevated above the teachings of the Church Fathers for Holy Scripture is inspired by God, where the teachings of the Fathers, were not considered Holy Scripture by the universal body of Christ at large.

I just believe Jesus, the apostles were clear on this issue. Jesus simply tells us- belief in Him allows us to attain salvation. He makes it very clear. I can't see it any other way.

Last edited:

Kevin

Hope,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have not sold all that you have as Jesus commanded to receive eternal life.

People will try just about anything to water down the necessity of obeying Christ. :rolleyes:

Ok, Hope, let's continue on with your point of view. Well, once we sell all that we have, we have to follow Christ around. Well, there's one little problem: Christ isn't here on earth anymore to follow as he told the rich young ruler!

You are totally missing what Christ was getting at here. Christ was NOT commanding that every Christian needs to sell all to be a Christian, rather, Christ was pointing out the fact that the rich young ruler didn't have his priorities straight - his riches were more important than following Christ.

If we are to sell all as Christians, then how are we to provide for our families? Was Timothy missing something when he said:

1 Tim. 5:8
8) But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially his family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an infidel.

How can somebody provide for his own family if he is to sell all he owns? Was Timothy confused?

Your attempt to take away the necessity of keeping Christ's commandments is nothing less than a slap in the face to God.

John 15:10
10) If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.

Who will abide in Christ's love?

Hebrews 5:9
9) And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him.

Jesus is the author of eternal salvation to who?

1 John 2:3-6
3) Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.
4) He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5) But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him.
6) He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.

How do we know if we know Him?

What does verse 4 say about those who do not keep His commandments? Will liars be in heaven?

1 John 3:24
24) Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Who abide in Christ? How do we know that He abides in us?

Revelation 22:14
14) Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

Who will have rights to the tree of Life?

Clearly, obedience to Christ is essential to salvation. Christ didn't come to earth just to give His opinion on things - He came here to tell us HOW TO BE SAVED, and if we don't obey what He tells us to do, just what do you think he is going to say to you on Judgement Day?

As God said:

Mat 17:5
5) While he yet spoke, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them. And behold a voice out of the cloud which said, This is My beloved Son in whom I am well pleased, HEAR HIM.

He wasn't kidding. And we are not ONLY supposed to be hearers of the word, but DOERS:

Jam 1:22
22)But become doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

He who has an ear, let him hear!

HopeofGlory

Originally posted by Kevin
Hope,

People will try just about anything to water down the necessity of obeying Christ. :rolleyes:
I said we absolutely should obey what Christ commanded but that it my flesh was weak causing me to fail.
Ok, Hope, let's continue on with your point of view. Well, once we sell all that we have, we have to follow Christ around. Well, there's one little problem: Christ isn't here on earth anymore to follow as he told the rich young ruler!
Are you telling me it is not possible to follow Christ because He is no longer on the earth? Silly you.
You are totally missing what Christ was getting at here. Christ was NOT commanding that every Christian needs to sell all to be a Christian, rather, Christ was pointing out the fact that the rich young ruler didn't have his priorities straight - his riches were more important than following Christ.
The rich man believed his works would enable him to receive eternal life. Christ put an end to that foolish idea and required of him something that he could not do. Christ answered the question with a question. At that time men were still under the law.
If we are to sell all as Christians, then how are we to provide for our families? Was Timothy missing something when he said:
Hold your horses Kevin, I said we are not required to obey that command. The rest of your post doesn't deserve an answer. I wonder if you have the ability to understand what you read.

Don't be deceived, Christ did mean what He said when He told the rich man to sell "all" that He had and at Pentecost they believed and obeyed.

And "all that believed" were together, and had all things common; Acts 2:44
And "sold their possessions and goods", and parted them to all men, as every man had need. Acts 2:45

They also still believed in a water baptism for the remission of sins(Mark 1:4) as taught by the Baptist before the cross.

We are no longer under the law for remission. Christ has provided a better way for what the law could not do His death made possible.

HopeofGlory

Re: Poor Fran!

Re: Poor Fran!

Originally posted by Freak
Hope, Good to see you.
And it is good to see you, Jay.
Francisco, is a man with a good heart but is being very deceived thinking that some water can give you eternal life. We know Jesus only can do that!
His chruch fathers have done a very good job of that. Every time he is backed into a corner with no scriptures he just quotes them as if it proves his point. At least it will allow him to sleep well. Maybe.