The Heretics Message to the World:Be Baptized to be Saved! (HOF thread)

tralon

Questions for Mr Moore

Questions for Mr Moore

Mr Moore
If Paul felt water baptism was totally unnecessary, then why did he bother with having the jailer baptized and his WHOLE family? Acts 16:32-33. Is a man born again solely by the Holy Spirit? Is this what John 3:3 says? What does the word "washing" literally mean according to any reliable greek lexicon? Look under the greek word loutron(#3067), in Strong's concordance or Thayer's.

c.moore

Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

Originally posted by JustAChristian

Not everyone who has faith that Jesus is the Son of God will be saved (Matthew 7:21-23) mainly because they are not willing to listen to Jesus. They will have listened to some television preacher that has a good story to tell or to a biblical school preacher who was strong in his teaching. Only when one will sincerely listen to the bible as it talks to us will hear the message and believe it (1 Cor. 2:14). The bible says that salvation comes after immersion for the remission of sins (Mark 16:16). The bible says the Holy Spirit become a gift to the believer after baptism for the remission of sins.(Acts 2:38). Everyone will have to come before Christ in judgment with these facts before them. Do you want to be saved or do you want to promote an agenda of some denomination? The Lord wishes for you to be obedient and saved. The ball is in your court. What will you do with it?

JustAChristian

I notice you mention Baptism in your quote , but I didn`t see anything about water or getting wet.

Are you adding to the Word of God or are you just asumming baptism means automatic water, and not baptiszed in the blood of jesus which make us white as snow, and the blood that clean us from all sins and put us in unity with God???:confused:

Happy new years
peace

c.moore

Re: Questions for Mr Moore

Re: Questions for Mr Moore

Originally posted by tralon
Mr Moore
If Paul felt water baptism was totally unnecessary, then why did he bother with having the jailer baptized and his WHOLE family? Acts 16:32-33. Is a man born again solely by the Holy Spirit? Is this what John 3:3 says? What does the word "washing" literally mean according to any reliable greek lexicon? Look under the greek word loutron(#3067), in Strong's concordance or Thayer's.

Why díd`t you answer my question I first ask you Tralon??:confused:

let take this step by step, as far as it can go before we give up because of self knowledge, and being brain washed not to change.
I have seen that this thread which freak created is A never ending religious problem because people are not ready to change , and accept the blood of Jesus, and Jesus alone, without works. christian are brainwashed in trying to help God like God has A problem accepting us, we try to get self righteous by doing every ceremony and atonement we can do.:doh:
But please answer my question I already have your answers for you biblically.

peace

tralon

Mr Moore-Your folly precedes you

Mr Moore-Your folly precedes you

Mr Moore
When Jesus spoke about the coming of the Holy Spirit for believers, this didn't NEGATE the command to follow Christian baptism. It only was a new revelation of what previously had not been given. You think by God giving a new gift, man is no longer disposed to obey the other commands of God he has also established? Shall we now also refuse to repent of our sins, because God now has promised all believers his Holy Spirit? This is utter nonsense.

Also Mr Moore, even if water baptism was negated after Paul's ministry, which it wasn't, then why in the world would Paul even bother to baptize the jailer and his WHOLE FAMILY???Acts 16:32-33. Why would Paul practice something that was no longer necessary? Also you can't claim these were jews, and Paul was just going along with old John's baptism. No, Mr Moore, this was a GENTILE family and not a jewish one. So what reason would Paul have for baptizing these gentiles, if baptism was no longer necessary? Please answer the question.

JustAChristian

WHY BE BAPTIZED?

WHY BE BAPTIZED?

In the gospel of Mark, chapter 16 and verse 16 the Bible says, "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, but he that believeth not shall be condemned" First we note that before someone is to be baptized, he or she must be a believer. That belief must be in the gospel of Jesus Christ which tell us He is God's Son, so one must believe that Christ is God's son. Second, we note that baptism is essential for salvation. "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved" The apostle Peter tell us, ""The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us, (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience towards God), by the resurrection of Jesus Christ" (1 Peter 3:21). Peter plainly says that baptism saves. I have fullest confidence in what Peter has taught in other subjects, so I shouldn't doubt what he is teaching here, should I? Of course not! He preached baptism in Acts 2, and said that it us unto the forgiveness of sins (Acts 2:38). Then, when one is baptized in order to have their sins forgiven, then its the same as being saved. The "for" mentioned in Acts 2:38 is a preposition and in the Greek in which the New Testament was written, it is EIS and always looks forward--going into, etc. It never looks back to past events, so one is not baptized because his sins have been forgiven. Never be fooled on this subject.

Paul the apostle relates how Ananias, the preacher, told him as he was praying at Damascus (Acts.22:16) "And now why tarriest thou? arise and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord" Paul must have done just that, and not argued one moment, for he went out preaching to and baptizing many who believed in Jesus Christ (Rom.6:1-4; Gal 3:27; Acts 19:1-7).

The church at Rome was taught the after being baptized, they were expected to walk in newness of life (Rom 6:4) Why couldn't they walk in newness of life after just believing? Its because that newness of life comes after being immersed into Christ.

Jesus taught that in order to be born again, one must be baptized saying "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God" Jesus is merely saying that passing through the water, following the message of the Spirit through the word of God places us on the other side into salvation in the Kingdom of God. Like the Israelites, who had to cross the Red Sea and the Jordan river which are both "types of water baptism" we too must be baptized in order to enter into the kingdom of Christ Jesus.

Many try to say that depending on water baptism for salvation is "works salvation." I contend that it is obeying Christ (Heb.5:8-9) The preacher of the gospel, Titus said, "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost" (Titus 3:5) When one is baptized for the remission of sins, Christ give him the Holy Ghost (Acts 2:38). We cannot be justified by His grace without having our sins forgiven , and we cannot be forgiven until we have been baptized.

The act of believing and being baptized places us into the spiritual body of Christ (Rom. 6:3). We put on Christ, figuratively, as we would put on a garment, but its in the process of being water baptized (Gal 3:27) There is no other way to understand this passage.

In conclusion, let us see this final point for today. Being water baptized is necessary in order to obey God (Matthew 28:19; Acts 10:48) This is what Bible teaches on the subject. You make the decision, for its so vital for salvation.

JustAChristian

c.moore

Not everyone who has faith that Jesus is the Son of God will be saved (Matthew 7:21-23) mainly because they are not willing to listen to Jesus. They will have listened to some television preacher that has a good story to tell or to a biblical school preacher who was strong in his teaching. Only when one will sincerely listen to the bible as it talks to us will hear the message and believe it (1 Cor. 2:14). The bible says that salvation comes after immersion for the remission of sins (Mark 16:16). The bible says the Holy Spirit become a gift to the believer after baptism for the remission of sins.(Acts 2:38). Everyone will have to come before Christ in judgment with these facts before them. Do you want to be saved or do you want to promote an agenda of some denomination? The Lord wishes for you to be obedient and saved. The ball is in your court. What will you do with it?

JustAChristian

Was my questions to hard to answer?:confused:

tralon

Mr Moore-My questions still remain unanswered

What of Paul and Acts 16?

c.moore

Re: Mr Moore-Your folly precedes you

Re: Mr Moore-Your folly precedes you

Mr Moore
When Jesus spoke about the coming of the Holy Spirit for believers, this didn't NEGATE the command to follow Christian baptism. It only was a new revelation of what previously had not been given. You think by God giving a new gift, man is no longer disposed to obey the other commands of God he has also established? Shall we now also refuse to repent of our sins, because God now has promised all believers his Holy Spirit? This is utter nonsense.

Also Mr Moore, even if water baptism was negated after Paul's ministry, which it wasn't, then why in the world would Paul even bother to baptize the jailer and his WHOLE FAMILY???Acts 16:32-33. Why would Paul practice something that was no longer necessary? Also you can't claim these were jews, and Paul was just going along with old John's baptism. No, Mr Moore, this was a GENTILE family and not a jewish one. So what reason would Paul have for baptizing these gentiles, if baptism was no longer necessary? Please answer the question.

You need to learn to read the bible in context and stop making the bible say what you what it to mean.
Find out the principle on how to rightly divide the Word of God.
I ´ll point out one false understanding of the bible you ask me about but I have to give you a little study so you can investagate yourself with the Holy Spirit.
Ac:16:29: Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
Ac:16:30: And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

Ac:16:31: And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

notice that your interpretation forgot to put water baptism somewhere in the answer of how to get SAVED with an Ed at the end of SAVED meaning pass tense, or already done after believing says the bible in black in white-
Now either paul forgot about baptism or you can add to the bible and write somewhere in verse 31 baptism, but that`s your curse.and choice.
even in verse Ac:16:34: And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.
we see here believing and the whole house believed was saved.

Now after they got saved they got baptized knowing the ceromony of John the baptist.
you need to go back to your church or bible teacher and tell them they need to learn the truth About Acts 16.
I HOPE I helped in see that you need also alot to learn about studying the bible.

peace

c.moore

tralon

When do we recieve our name in the book of life when we accept jesus as Lord and Savior, or when we get baptized.

What do you think about the Spiritual Baptism , and is the Spiritual baptism more important than the water outward baptism??

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

Originally posted by c.moore

Was my questions to hard to answer?:confused:

C Moore asked:
But what do you think believeth not mean own is damned???

Is A person damned because of not being baptized or is it believing???

C. Moore, You can find that answer in Matthew 7:21-23. People are condemned who will not do what Jesus has commanded. He commissioned his apostles to go into all the world and preach the Gospel, or good news of His death, bural and resurrection and that remission of sins was possible to those who would believe and obey His commands. He said to tell them "he that believes and is baptized shall be saved" (Mark 16:16). When one fights against the commands of Christ they are subjects of condemnation at the judgement. Don't you believe that?

JustAChristian
:angel:

c.moore

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

C Moore asked:
But what do you think believeth not mean own is damned???

Is A person damned because of not being baptized or is it believing???

C. Moore, You can find that answer in Matthew 7:21-23. People are condemned who will not do what Jesus has commanded. He commissioned his apostles to go into all the world and preach the Gospel, or good news of His death, bural and resurrection and that remission of sins was possible to those who would believe and obey His commands. He said to tell them "he that believes and is baptized shall be saved" (Mark 16:16). When one fights against the commands of Christ they are subjects of condemnation at the judgement. Don't you believe that?

JustAChristian

Why can´rt you answer my questions or do I need to put a yes or no answer to the questions?

Are we saved by the law or by grace???

Are we judge by our good works or our acceptance of Jesus in our hearts and the blood of jesus for repentance????:confused:

How much obedience to we need to pas the qualification into Heaven doors.
Are we going to be judge by our works like being set on a scale???

peace

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

Why can´rt you answer my questions or do I need to put a yes or no answer to the questions?

Are we saved by the law or by grace???

Are we judge by our good works or our acceptance of Jesus in our hearts and the blood of jesus for repentance????:confused:

How much obedience to we need to pas the qualification into Heaven doors.
Are we going to be judge by our works like being set on a scale???

peace

C. Moore, That is not really a hard question to answer. Using your Bible you will find the answer in Ephesians 2:8 which says that we are saved by grace through faith. Trouble is that so many want the grace but don't want to demonstrate their faith. Jesus says you can't have it your way like you can at Burger King. Unless you demonstrate your faith as commanded by Jesus then God want extend His grace to save you. Having faith to repent of sins, confess Jesus as the Son of God, being baptized for the remission of sins and walking in newness of life will result in you being found faithful and deserving of salvation. Otherwise, you walk on dangerous ground. Don't you believe that?

JustAChristian

tralon

Mr Moore you err once again

Mr Moore you err once again

Mr Moore Christian baptism is not found in the Law of Moses at all, but is a New Testament commandment given by our Lord himself and practiced by his Apostles, including Paul. Mr Moore, my point about Paul baptizing the jailer and his household was NOT to emphasis baptism for salvation, but rather that Paul DID indeed baptize people under his ministry. Paul baptized people, because he was commanded to. Will you obey the commands of Christ and be baptized?

c.moore

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

C. Moore, That is not really a hard question to answer. Using your Bible you will find the answer in Ephesians 2:8 which says that we are saved by grace through faith. Trouble is that so many want the grace but don't want to demonstrate their faith. Jesus says you can't have it your way like you can at Burger King. Unless you demonstrate your faith as commanded by Jesus then God want extend His grace to save you. Having faith to repent of sins, confess Jesus as the Son of God, being baptized for the remission of sins and walking in newness of life will result in you being found faithful and deserving of salvation. Otherwise, you walk on dangerous ground. Don't you believe that?

JustAChristian

I pray you would believe what you quote sometimes.
In Eph 2 where is quoted we are saved by grace and believing make you put your faith to work after you believe.
look in this verse you gave no where mention about we are saved pass tense by baptismo ceremony.
y do we have to demostrate anything when Jesus did it all on the cross?

look up when you have time what is grace.

look up what is faith please.

when you find the meaning of these two words it might change your baptismo gospel and doctrine tot the gospel of Christ, not water.

peace

c.moore

Re: Mr Moore you err once again

Re: Mr Moore you err once again

Mr Moore Christian baptism is not found in the Law of Moses at all, but is a New Testament commandment given by our Lord himself and practiced by his Apostles, including Paul. Mr Moore, my point about Paul baptizing the jailer and his household was NOT to emphasis baptism for salvation, but rather that Paul DID indeed baptize people under his ministry. Paul baptized people, because he was commanded to. Will you obey the commands of Christ and be baptized?

I mention about the custom of john the baptist.

as long as you stay to the gospel like you mention we come in agreement specially when you admit baptism is not salvation.

most water divers christians stand on this doctrine and try to make a gospel of salvation which is not scriptural , and I praise God you see this now, even though you try to start out with Mark 16;16 and take the verse out of context like most water diver christian, that put thier faith more in water than diving in the Blood of Jesus.
Yes paul did baptized people but he taught salvation comes alone by believing, and if they want to do the old ceromony to show the outward apperance of what happen in the heart for themselves and others they can get baptized in water.

BTW you said:Will you obey the commands of Christ and be baptized?

I have been scuba diving or water baptized three times.
The reason I was baptized so many times because I when down a wet sinner, and came up A wet sinner with no relationship with Jesus, i got baptized because my best friend invited me, and i said why not take a free bath.

The second time i got baptized was in A church that stands on water baptism like Just a christian, this church was called Mission Church of Christ, they stand on the scripture Acts 2:38 so i remember I just came back home for A two week vacation and I just got my life renewed in Christ , and I visted my friend church and as they did the alter call i went to the front, and as I went to the front they ask me to follow them with some other people to the back room and told me I would have to put on a white robe , but I though it was a tradition to put this on because no one never told me it was A baptism, and I didn`t even see the pool where they would do the baptism but they hade it on the top of the pulpit. I was shock , and mad about that baptism. a matter of fact they gave me a baptismo certificate on Nov 25 1994.
The last time I got baptized with A 8 week class on what is baptism, why we do it , and all the information we need about water baptism, i guess that why I know so much about it, and until we had a full understanding no one can get baptized praise God.
So , if you are a real humble christian tralon i would first start apologizing to me about getting water baptized, and get humility and confess you made false accusation about me.
Now about your understanding of the water baptism i can accept that because everyone has a measure of faith and some are still babies and drinking milk and some one day will eat the meat of the Word.

peace

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

I pray you would believe what you quote sometimes.
In Eph 2 where is quoted we are saved by grace and believing make you put your faith to work after you believe.
look in this verse you gave no where mention about we are saved pass tense by baptismo ceremony.
y do we have to demostrate anything when Jesus did it all on the cross?

look up when you have time what is grace.

look up what is faith please.

when you find the meaning of these two words it might change your baptismo gospel and doctrine tot the gospel of Christ, not water.

peace

C. Moore,
You are not going to find baptism in every verse of the New Testament. Why don't you look to what a verse tells you and quit trying to find an out for immersion for the remissions of sins? Jesus said in Mark 16:16 that one has to believe and be baptized for salvation. You only need to follow Christ in that commandment to be cleansed of sins ( Acts 22:16). If you want to continue looking for an excuse then do so, but Jesus will never change (Heb. 13:8). I hope you will continue to seek the Lord in Spirit and in Truth, and have a great rest of the day!

JustAChristian :angel:

c.moore

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

C. Moore,
You are not going to find baptism in every verse of the New Testament. Why don't you look to what a verse tells you and quit trying to find an out for immersion for the remissions of sins? Jesus said in Mark 16:16 that one has to believe and be baptized for salvation. You only need to follow Christ in that commandment to be cleansed of sins ( Acts 22:16). If you want to continue looking for an excuse then do so, but Jesus will never change (Heb. 13:8). I hope you will continue to seek the Lord in Spirit and in Truth, and have a great rest of the day!

JustAChristian :angel:

the problem here is the lack of how to keep the Word of God in context, and knowing how to study the bible.
maybe this might help you Just A christian.

Water Baptism, What Is Its Place Today?
You are at a gathering of friends. The topic of religion comes up. One of your friends, Mary, says you have to be baptized to be saved. She quotes Acts 2:38 and Mark 16:16. Another one, John, says you don’t have to be baptized to be saved, but if you became a believer, you would follow the Lord in baptism as an outward sign of an inner work. He quotes Acts 16:31 and says this shows that the only thing a person must do to be saved is believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. Mary disagrees. She shows that water baptism was even necessary in the epistles. She shows you 1 Peter 3:20,21,
who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine long-suffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. 21 There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
But John shows you Ephesians 2:8,9. “It is not of works”, and says “Baptism would be a work. Baptism should come after you’re saved, but it doesn’t save you!”
Well, what should you believe? Who is right? Both are right, and both are wrong. Let’s look at the Scriptures and see why. The gospel starts with the ministry of John the Baptist. His message was, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand” (Mat 3:2)! He preached “the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins” (Mark 1:3). What? He preached that a person had to be baptized to be saved? Yes! Let’s remember the proper procedures for good Bible study:
1. Find out who is speaking.
2. Find out to whom they are speaking.
3. Find out what dispensation it is being said under.
4. Observe the passage in its context.
To whom was John the Baptist sent? It says in John 1:31 that John was sent to Israel: “I did not know Him; but that He should be revealed to Israel, therefore I came baptizing with water.” Well, that’s pretty clear. John came to Israel to show that Jesus was the Messiah or Christ. It was at a time when God was only dealing with the Jews. The method of salvation was repent and be baptized for your sins. This was the message of the kingdom gospel. Luke 16:16 shows when the kingdom gospel started: “The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it.”
Did Christ and the apostles preach the same gospel that John preached? Yes, for it says that they did in Matthew 10:5-10 and Mark 1:14,15. Now, notice the context. Baptism was linked with the message of the kingdom promised to David. This was the good news of the circumcision (Gal 2:7-9).
When John began his ministry there was only one baptism, water. Was it necessary for salvation? Yes. We even find Jesus saying to Nicodemus in John 3:5 that if a man wants to enter into the kingdom of God, he must be born of water and of the Spirit. This requirement of water baptism fits the context of John’s message. John began baptizing, and the apostles continued after the resurrection and the day of Pentecost. Christ commanded the Eleven in Mark 16:15-16, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.” Peter insisted on the same requirement ten days later on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2:38. “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”
Here we see that water baptism was necessary before Holy Spirit baptism would take place. So, now for the first time, we have two baptisms. Water baptism is necessary for salvation. Then, Holy Spirit baptism takes place. From the context of verses 22 and 39 we see that this happened while God was still dealing with Israel. Peter was only speaking to Israel in 22, and he was referring to the promise made to Israel in 39.
Next, something very important happens. The Apostle Paul is saved. We will not go into the differences in Paul’s salvation, although it appears that Paul was saved under the same message Peter preached in Acts 2. Acts 22:16 says, “And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.”
Since God had started a new dispensation with Paul (Gal 1:11-2:9; Eph 3:1-9), all kinds of different things began to happen.
1. Peter got a vision in Acts 10 which showed that Israel had been set aside. They were no longer God’s special people. This was shown by the vision given to Peter when the law of clean and unclean animals was set aside (Lev 20:24-26).
2. Peter was sent to a Gentile and told by the Holy Spirit to doubt nothing (Acts 10:20).
3. The most significant event happened when Peter went to the Gentiles. When they believed, the Holy Spirit interrupted Peter’s message before he could tell them to repent and be baptized for the remission of sins. In fact, the Holy Spirit fell on all the Gentiles while Peter was still preaching. The Jews who accompanied Peter were amazed. This, indeed, was a dispensational sign from God that something had changed.
What had changed? God had started a new program when He saved Paul. However, since God would only reveal the new message to the Apostle Paul, Peter was still preaching the same message he had always preached (Acts 10:34-43). Let’s review the situation at this point of our investigation.
1. At first there was only one baptism, John’s. It was necessary for salvation.
2. Then things started changing when Paul was saved.
3. The Holy Spirit fell on Gentiles before they were water baptized. Remember, water baptism was a sign to Jews to show Christ to them.
Sometime during his second missionary journey the Apostle Paul told the body of Christ about the baptisms which they knew of, in this manner: “I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius . . . . For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel” (1 Co 1:14,17 Read in context.). From this we see that Paul was not under the great commission which was given to the circumcision apostles.
In the same epistle, he wrote, “For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body; whether Jews or Greeks” (1 Co 12:13). So, water baptism had changed from being the only baptism, and necessary for salvation, to a ritual which had faded away.
Next, another very important incident happened. God finished showing Israel that they had been set aside. He had done this in a progressive manner which reached its conclusion in Acts 28:28. It started in Acts 13:46, continued in Acts 18:6, and was concluded in Acts 28:28.
After Israel had been shown that they had been set aside, Paul was inspired by God to write Ephesians. In Ephesians 4:3-6, Paul wrote about the unity of the Spirit. He was writing about God’s dealings with Christians today. He wrote, “There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, two baptisms.” What? It doesn’t say two baptisms? It says there “is one baptism”? Yes, that’s right. Which one is it then? It must be Spirit baptism since the Holy Spirit is still sealing members into the body of Christ.
Well then, we can see that the gospel message started out with one baptism, water. This was necessary for salvation. It progressed to two: water first, then, Holy Spirit baptism. The water baptism was still necessary for salvation. Finally, in this dispensation, it returned to one, Holy Spirit, which is now necessary for salvation. After the rapture of the body of Christ, the circumcision gospel will be in place again. Water baptism will become necessary for salvation again (1 Pet 3:18-22). So, both of your friends would be right and wrong. Therefore, we must always search the Scriptures to see what is right dispensationally.
With this in mind, we must study the history of water baptism in the Scriptures to come to the vital understanding of its relationship to the covenant of circumcision. We know that a number of baptisms are mentioned in the Old Testament. Numbers 19:9-21 shows that a water rite was necessary for salvation under the law.
Then a man who is clean shall gather up the ashes of the heifer, and store them outside the camp in a clean place; and they shall be kept for the congregation of the children of Israel for the water of purification; it is for purifying from sin. 10 And the one who gathers the ashes of the heifer shall wash his clothes, and be unclean until evening. It shall be a statute forever to the children of Israel and to the stranger who dwells among them. 11 He who touches the dead body of anyone shall be unclean seven days. 12 He shall purify himself with the water on the third day and on the seventh day; then he will be clean. But if he does not purify himself on the third day and on the seventh day, he will not be clean. 13 Whoever touches the body of anyone who has died, and does not purify himself, defiles the tabernacle of the LORD. That person shall be cut off from Israel. He shall be unclean, because the water of purification was not sprinkled on him; his uncleanness is still on him. 14 This is the law when a man dies in a tent: All who come into the tent and all who are in the tent shall be unclean seven days; 15 and every open vessel, which has no cover fastened on it, is unclean. 16 Whoever in the open field touches one who is slain by a sword or who has died, or a bone of a man, or a grave, shall be unclean seven days. 17 And for an unclean person they shall take some of the ashes of the heifer burnt for purification from sin, and running water shall be put on them in a vessel. 18 A clean person shall take hyssop and dip it in the water, sprinkle it on the tent, on all the vessels, on the persons who were there, or on the one who touched a bone, the slain, the dead, or a grave. 19 The clean person shall sprinkle the unclean on the third day and on the seventh day; and on the seventh day he shall purify himself, wash his clothes, and bathe in water; and at evening he shall be clean. 20 But the man who is unclean and does not purify himself, that person shall be cut off from among the assembly, because he has defiled the sanctuary of the LORD. The water of purification has not been sprinkled on him; he is unclean. 21 It shall be a perpetual statute for them. He who sprinkles the water of purification shall wash his clothes; and he who touches the water of purification shall be unclean until evening.
Today, we can see that Jesus Christ, the lamb of God, is the antitype of the red heifer. So it’s easy to see why the Jews disputed with John the Baptist’s disciples about purification when he was baptizing the multitudes who came to him. This dispute probably arose because John was baptizing with authority. Yet, they seemed to think that he was not in compliance with the statutes of Numbers 19. Questions were asked. Why are you baptizing? Who are you? What is your authority? He gave his credentials by quoting the scriptures about the forerunner of Messiah. John had a commission to the nation. I believe the Scriptures show his purpose was to bring Israel back into covenant relationship with God. This would be accomplished by purification and remission of their sins. Zacharias’ prophecy in Luke 1:67-77 established this.
Now his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Spirit, and prophesied, saying: 68 Blessed is the Lord God of Israel, For He has visited and redeemed His people, 69 And has raised up a horn of salvation for us In the house of His servant David, 70 As He spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets, Who have been since the world began, 71 That we should be saved from our enemies And from the hand of all who hate us, 72 To perform the mercy promised to our fathers And [notice] to remember His holy covenant, 73 The oath which He swore to our father Abraham: 74 To grant us that we, Being delivered from the hand of our enemies, Might serve Him without fear, 75 [notice] In holiness and righteousness before Him all the days of our life. 76 And you, child, will be called the prophet of the Highest; For you will go before the face of the Lord to prepare His ways, 77 To give knowledge of salvation to His people By the remission of their sins.
In a future day, God said He would baptize (wash away the filth of) all Israel (Isa 4:3,4). God would also judge at that time. Isaiah’s prophecy seems to be pointing to the time of the tribulation. This and similar passages may explain why the whole nation was in expectation (Lk 3:15) and went out to John wondering if he was the Messiah.
It is interesting to see that under the law, the priests were baptized when they were thirty years old (Num. 4:2,3,23; 8:6,7; 1 Ch 23:3) in preparation for their consecration as priests (Ex 28:41-29:9). The anointing with oil during this consecration may represent the Holy Spirit. Since Peter’s message was a Jewish gospel (Acts 2:22,36), water baptism preceded Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 2:38).
God promised to make Israel a kingdom of priests in Exodus 19:5,6 and Isaiah 61:6.
Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine. And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation. These are the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel (Ex 19:5,6).
But you shall be named the priests of the LORD, they shall call you the servants of our God. You shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory you shall boast” (Is 61:6).
Since Isaiah 61:1,2 was fulfilled in Christ’s ministry, it is reasonable to believe that Isaiah 61:6 is linked with it also. The nation of Israel would be baptized to become a kingdom of priests. Isaiah 61:1,2a was quoted by Luke in Luke 4:16-21,
So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read. 17 And He was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when He had opened the book, He found the place where it was written: 18 The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed; 19 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD. 20 Then He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all who were in the synagogue were fixed on Him. 21 And He began to say to them, Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.
I believe John the Baptist baptized Israel in fulfillment of Exodus 19:5,6 and Isaiah 61:6. He baptized great crowds for the Lord from all the tribes, not just from the tribe of Levi, according to Matthew 3:5,6, “Then Jerusalem, all Judea, and all the region around the Jordan went out to him 6 and were baptized by him in the Jordan, confessing their sins.” Apparently John sprinkled them with water just as Moses confirmed the old covenant with Israel using blood (Ex 24:3-8). Remember, in Ezekiel 36 God had promised to sprinkle them with water to make them clean. Again, it appears that John was preparing them to be a kingdom of priests. In Acts 2:38, Peter was doing the same thing. In fact, the circumcision believers were later called a royal priesthood by Peter in 1 Peter 2:5,9.
You also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.
John baptized Jesus when He was about 30 years old (Lk 3:23), possibly for His priesthood. This baptism was for the sins of the world just as His death baptism (Lk 12:50) was. That’s why He told John, “Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness” (Mat 3:15). Christ was also baptized with the Spirit (Jo. 1:33). These three baptisms witness to Christ’s provision of eternal life according to 1 John 5:8-11.
There are three that bear witness: the Spirit, the water, and the blood 9 . . . . for this is the witness of God which He has testified of His Son . . . . 11 And this is the witness: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.
John the Baptist explained why he baptized Christ. It was to reveal to Israel that Jesus was the Messiah: “I did not know Him; but that He should be revealed to Israel, therefore I came baptizing with water” (Jo 1:31).
John preached a baptism for the remission of sins in Matthew 3:1-6 and Luke 3:3,8.
3:1-6 In those days John the Baptist came preaching in the wilderness of Judea, 2 and saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!” 3 For this is he who was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah, saying: “The voice of one crying in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the LORD; Make His paths straight.’” 4 And John himself was clothed in camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist; and his food was locusts and wild honey. 5 Then Jerusalem, all Judea, and all the region around the Jordan went out to him 6 and were baptized by him in the Jordan, confessing their sins.
3:3,8 And he went into all the region around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins, 8 “Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones.”
This baptism was referred to as “a baptism of repentance” in Luke 3:3 and Acts 13:24 because the people confessed their sins while he was baptizing them (Mat 3:6). This is why John castigated the Pharisees and lawyers when they came to his baptism but were not willing to submit to this aspect of its meaning (Lk. 7:30). This baptism for repentance would be too humiliating for them. They preferred to resist the counsel of God for themselves. God’s counsel is that all have room for repentance (2 Pe 3:9) [1].
In Matthew 3:11, John said, “I indeed baptize you with water for repentance.” Their sins were forgiven when they submitted to this baptism while confessing their sins. This is why John’s baptism is also referred to as “a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins” (Lk 3:3). John 3:25 shows the Jews understood that the biblical purpose of baptism was purification. Whether or not they based their dispute directly on the purification of Numbers 19:9-21, we can see that John’s ministry was to bring “knowledge of salvation by the remission of their sins to His people,” Israel (Lk 1:76,77).
Therefore, we can draw the following conclusions concerning water baptism:
1. It is Jewish, based on Mosaic law.
2. It is an initiatory rite for the priesthood.
3. It accompanied true repentance and confession of sins.
4. It resulted in the remission of sins.
5. It is associated with the Messianic Kingdom and the new covenant.
Water baptism continued as a requirement for salvation after Pentecost because God continued to offer Israel the kingdom (Acts 3:19-26). If they had repented, God would have sent Christ back (Acts 3:20). Before Pentecost, Christ had commanded belief and water baptism as requirements for salvation shortly after His resurrection. Mark 16:16 says, “He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.” Both “believes” and “is baptized” are translated from aorist participles. According to Greek syntax [2], the action of these participles must precede the action of the main verb, “will be saved.” Therefore, a person had to believe and be baptized before he would be saved. When viewed in its setting of the circumcision covenant, this is consistent with the purification rituals which were imposed on Israel. [3]

I hope this helps you part 1.
peace

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

the problem here is the lack of how to keep the Word of God in context, and knowing how to study the bible.
maybe this might help you Just A christian.

Water Baptism, What Is Its Place Today?
You are at a gathering of friends. The topic of religion comes up. One of your friends, Mary, says you have to be baptized to be saved. She quotes Acts 2:38 and Mark 16:16. Another one, John, says you don’t have to be baptized to be saved, but if you became a believer, you would follow the Lord in baptism as an outward sign of an inner work. He quotes Acts 16:31 and says this shows that the only thing a person must do to be saved is believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. Mary disagrees. She shows that water baptism was even necessary in the epistles. She shows you 1 Peter 3:20,21,
who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine long-suffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. 21 There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
But John shows you Ephesians 2:8,9. “It is not of works”, and says “Baptism would be a work. Baptism should come after you’re saved, but it doesn’t save you!”
Well, what should you believe? Who is right? Both are right, and both are wrong. Let’s look at the Scriptures and see why. The gospel starts with the ministry of John the Baptist. His message was, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand” (Mat 3:2)! He preached “the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins” (Mark 1:3). What? He preached that a person had to be baptized to be saved? Yes! Let’s remember the proper procedures for good Bible study:
1. Find out who is speaking.
2. Find out to whom they are speaking.
3. Find out what dispensation it is being said under.
4. Observe the passage in its context.
To whom was John the Baptist sent? It says in John 1:31 that John was sent to Israel: “I did not know Him; but that He should be revealed to Israel, therefore I came baptizing with water.” Well, that’s pretty clear. John came to Israel to show that Jesus was the Messiah or Christ. It was at a time when God was only dealing with the Jews. The method of salvation was repent and be baptized for your sins. This was the message of the kingdom gospel. Luke 16:16 shows when the kingdom gospel started: “The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it.”
Did Christ and the apostles preach the same gospel that John preached? Yes, for it says that they did in Matthew 10:5-10 and Mark 1:14,15. Now, notice the context. Baptism was linked with the message of the kingdom promised to David. This was the good news of the circumcision (Gal 2:7-9).
When John began his ministry there was only one baptism, water. Was it necessary for salvation? Yes. We even find Jesus saying to Nicodemus in John 3:5 that if a man wants to enter into the kingdom of God, he must be born of water and of the Spirit. This requirement of water baptism fits the context of John’s message. John began baptizing, and the apostles continued after the resurrection and the day of Pentecost. Christ commanded the Eleven in Mark 16:15-16, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.” Peter insisted on the same requirement ten days later on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2:38. “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”
Here we see that water baptism was necessary before Holy Spirit baptism would take place. So, now for the first time, we have two baptisms. Water baptism is necessary for salvation. Then, Holy Spirit baptism takes place. From the context of verses 22 and 39 we see that this happened while God was still dealing with Israel. Peter was only speaking to Israel in 22, and he was referring to the promise made to Israel in 39.
Next, something very important happens. The Apostle Paul is saved. We will not go into the differences in Paul’s salvation, although it appears that Paul was saved under the same message Peter preached in Acts 2. Acts 22:16 says, “And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.”
Since God had started a new dispensation with Paul (Gal 1:11-2:9; Eph 3:1-9), all kinds of different things began to happen.
1. Peter got a vision in Acts 10 which showed that Israel had been set aside. They were no longer God’s special people. This was shown by the vision given to Peter when the law of clean and unclean animals was set aside (Lev 20:24-26).
2. Peter was sent to a Gentile and told by the Holy Spirit to doubt nothing (Acts 10:20).
3. The most significant event happened when Peter went to the Gentiles. When they believed, the Holy Spirit interrupted Peter’s message before he could tell them to repent and be baptized for the remission of sins. In fact, the Holy Spirit fell on all the Gentiles while Peter was still preaching. The Jews who accompanied Peter were amazed. This, indeed, was a dispensational sign from God that something had changed.
What had changed? God had started a new program when He saved Paul. However, since God would only reveal the new message to the Apostle Paul, Peter was still preaching the same message he had always preached (Acts 10:34-43). Let’s review the situation at this point of our investigation.
1. At first there was only one baptism, John’s. It was necessary for salvation.
2. Then things started changing when Paul was saved.
3. The Holy Spirit fell on Gentiles before they were water baptized. Remember, water baptism was a sign to Jews to show Christ to them.
Sometime during his second missionary journey the Apostle Paul told the body of Christ about the baptisms which they knew of, in this manner: “I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius . . . . For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel” (1 Co 1:14,17 Read in context.). From this we see that Paul was not under the great commission which was given to the circumcision apostles.
In the same epistle, he wrote, “For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body; whether Jews or Greeks” (1 Co 12:13). So, water baptism had changed from being the only baptism, and necessary for salvation, to a ritual which had faded away.
Next, another very important incident happened. God finished showing Israel that they had been set aside. He had done this in a progressive manner which reached its conclusion in Acts 28:28. It started in Acts 13:46, continued in Acts 18:6, and was concluded in Acts 28:28.
After Israel had been shown that they had been set aside, Paul was inspired by God to write Ephesians. In Ephesians 4:3-6, Paul wrote about the unity of the Spirit. He was writing about God’s dealings with Christians today. He wrote, “There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, two baptisms.” What? It doesn’t say two baptisms? It says there “is one baptism”? Yes, that’s right. Which one is it then? It must be Spirit baptism since the Holy Spirit is still sealing members into the body of Christ.
Well then, we can see that the gospel message started out with one baptism, water. This was necessary for salvation. It progressed to two: water first, then, Holy Spirit baptism. The water baptism was still necessary for salvation. Finally, in this dispensation, it returned to one, Holy Spirit, which is now necessary for salvation. After the rapture of the body of Christ, the circumcision gospel will be in place again. Water baptism will become necessary for salvation again (1 Pet 3:18-22). So, both of your friends would be right and wrong. Therefore, we must always search the Scriptures to see what is right dispensationally.
With this in mind, we must study the history of water baptism in the Scriptures to come to the vital understanding of its relationship to the covenant of circumcision. We know that a number of baptisms are mentioned in the Old Testament. Numbers 19:9-21 shows that a water rite was necessary for salvation under the law.
Then a man who is clean shall gather up the ashes of the heifer, and store them outside the camp in a clean place; and they shall be kept for the congregation of the children of Israel for the water of purification; it is for purifying from sin. 10 And the one who gathers the ashes of the heifer shall wash his clothes, and be unclean until evening. It shall be a statute forever to the children of Israel and to the stranger who dwells among them. 11 He who touches the dead body of anyone shall be unclean seven days. 12 He shall purify himself with the water on the third day and on the seventh day; then he will be clean. But if he does not purify himself on the third day and on the seventh day, he will not be clean. 13 Whoever touches the body of anyone who has died, and does not purify himself, defiles the tabernacle of the LORD. That person shall be cut off from Israel. He shall be unclean, because the water of purification was not sprinkled on him; his uncleanness is still on him. 14 This is the law when a man dies in a tent: All who come into the tent and all who are in the tent shall be unclean seven days; 15 and every open vessel, which has no cover fastened on it, is unclean. 16 Whoever in the open field touches one who is slain by a sword or who has died, or a bone of a man, or a grave, shall be unclean seven days. 17 And for an unclean person they shall take some of the ashes of the heifer burnt for purification from sin, and running water shall be put on them in a vessel. 18 A clean person shall take hyssop and dip it in the water, sprinkle it on the tent, on all the vessels, on the persons who were there, or on the one who touched a bone, the slain, the dead, or a grave. 19 The clean person shall sprinkle the unclean on the third day and on the seventh day; and on the seventh day he shall purify himself, wash his clothes, and bathe in water; and at evening he shall be clean. 20 But the man who is unclean and does not purify himself, that person shall be cut off from among the assembly, because he has defiled the sanctuary of the LORD. The water of purification has not been sprinkled on him; he is unclean. 21 It shall be a perpetual statute for them. He who sprinkles the water of purification shall wash his clothes; and he who touches the water of purification shall be unclean until evening.
Today, we can see that Jesus Christ, the lamb of God, is the antitype of the red heifer. So it’s easy to see why the Jews disputed with John the Baptist’s disciples about purification when he was baptizing the multitudes who came to him. This dispute probably arose because John was baptizing with authority. Yet, they seemed to think that he was not in compliance with the statutes of Numbers 19. Questions were asked. Why are you baptizing? Who are you? What is your authority? He gave his credentials by quoting the scriptures about the forerunner of Messiah. John had a commission to the nation. I believe the Scriptures show his purpose was to bring Israel back into covenant relationship with God. This would be accomplished by purification and remission of their sins. Zacharias’ prophecy in Luke 1:67-77 established this.
Now his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Spirit, and prophesied, saying: 68 Blessed is the Lord God of Israel, For He has visited and redeemed His people, 69 And has raised up a horn of salvation for us In the house of His servant David, 70 As He spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets, Who have been since the world began, 71 That we should be saved from our enemies And from the hand of all who hate us, 72 To perform the mercy promised to our fathers And [notice] to remember His holy covenant, 73 The oath which He swore to our father Abraham: 74 To grant us that we, Being delivered from the hand of our enemies, Might serve Him without fear, 75 [notice] In holiness and righteousness before Him all the days of our life. 76 And you, child, will be called the prophet of the Highest; For you will go before the face of the Lord to prepare His ways, 77 To give knowledge of salvation to His people By the remission of their sins.
In a future day, God said He would baptize (wash away the filth of) all Israel (Isa 4:3,4). God would also judge at that time. Isaiah’s prophecy seems to be pointing to the time of the tribulation. This and similar passages may explain why the whole nation was in expectation (Lk 3:15) and went out to John wondering if he was the Messiah.
It is interesting to see that under the law, the priests were baptized when they were thirty years old (Num. 4:2,3,23; 8:6,7; 1 Ch 23:3) in preparation for their consecration as priests (Ex 28:41-29:9). The anointing with oil during this consecration may represent the Holy Spirit. Since Peter’s message was a Jewish gospel (Acts 2:22,36), water baptism preceded Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 2:38).
God promised to make Israel a kingdom of priests in Exodus 19:5,6 and Isaiah 61:6.
Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine. And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation. These are the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel (Ex 19:5,6).
But you shall be named the priests of the LORD, they shall call you the servants of our God. You shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory you shall boast” (Is 61:6).
Since Isaiah 61:1,2 was fulfilled in Christ’s ministry, it is reasonable to believe that Isaiah 61:6 is linked with it also. The nation of Israel would be baptized to become a kingdom of priests. Isaiah 61:1,2a was quoted by Luke in Luke 4:16-21,
So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read. 17 And He was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when He had opened the book, He found the place where it was written: 18 The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed; 19 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD. 20 Then He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all who were in the synagogue were fixed on Him. 21 And He began to say to them, Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.
I believe John the Baptist baptized Israel in fulfillment of Exodus 19:5,6 and Isaiah 61:6. He baptized great crowds for the Lord from all the tribes, not just from the tribe of Levi, according to Matthew 3:5,6, “Then Jerusalem, all Judea, and all the region around the Jordan went out to him 6 and were baptized by him in the Jordan, confessing their sins.” Apparently John sprinkled them with water just as Moses confirmed the old covenant with Israel using blood (Ex 24:3-8). Remember, in Ezekiel 36 God had promised to sprinkle them with water to make them clean. Again, it appears that John was preparing them to be a kingdom of priests. In Acts 2:38, Peter was doing the same thing. In fact, the circumcision believers were later called a royal priesthood by Peter in 1 Peter 2:5,9.
You also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.
John baptized Jesus when He was about 30 years old (Lk 3:23), possibly for His priesthood. This baptism was for the sins of the world just as His death baptism (Lk 12:50) was. That’s why He told John, “Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness” (Mat 3:15). Christ was also baptized with the Spirit (Jo. 1:33). These three baptisms witness to Christ’s provision of eternal life according to 1 John 5:8-11.
There are three that bear witness: the Spirit, the water, and the blood 9 . . . . for this is the witness of God which He has testified of His Son . . . . 11 And this is the witness: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.
John the Baptist explained why he baptized Christ. It was to reveal to Israel that Jesus was the Messiah: “I did not know Him; but that He should be revealed to Israel, therefore I came baptizing with water” (Jo 1:31).
John preached a baptism for the remission of sins in Matthew 3:1-6 and Luke 3:3,8.
3:1-6 In those days John the Baptist came preaching in the wilderness of Judea, 2 and saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!” 3 For this is he who was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah, saying: “The voice of one crying in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the LORD; Make His paths straight.’” 4 And John himself was clothed in camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist; and his food was locusts and wild honey. 5 Then Jerusalem, all Judea, and all the region around the Jordan went out to him 6 and were baptized by him in the Jordan, confessing their sins.
3:3,8 And he went into all the region around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins, 8 “Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones.”
This baptism was referred to as “a baptism of repentance” in Luke 3:3 and Acts 13:24 because the people confessed their sins while he was baptizing them (Mat 3:6). This is why John castigated the Pharisees and lawyers when they came to his baptism but were not willing to submit to this aspect of its meaning (Lk. 7:30). This baptism for repentance would be too humiliating for them. They preferred to resist the counsel of God for themselves. God’s counsel is that all have room for repentance (2 Pe 3:9) [1].
In Matthew 3:11, John said, “I indeed baptize you with water for repentance.” Their sins were forgiven when they submitted to this baptism while confessing their sins. This is why John’s baptism is also referred to as “a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins” (Lk 3:3). John 3:25 shows the Jews understood that the biblical purpose of baptism was purification. Whether or not they based their dispute directly on the purification of Numbers 19:9-21, we can see that John’s ministry was to bring “knowledge of salvation by the remission of their sins to His people,” Israel (Lk 1:76,77).
Therefore, we can draw the following conclusions concerning water baptism:
1. It is Jewish, based on Mosaic law.
2. It is an initiatory rite for the priesthood.
3. It accompanied true repentance and confession of sins.
4. It resulted in the remission of sins.
5. It is associated with the Messianic Kingdom and the new covenant.
Water baptism continued as a requirement for salvation after Pentecost because God continued to offer Israel the kingdom (Acts 3:19-26). If they had repented, God would have sent Christ back (Acts 3:20). Before Pentecost, Christ had commanded belief and water baptism as requirements for salvation shortly after His resurrection. Mark 16:16 says, “He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.” Both “believes” and “is baptized” are translated from aorist participles. According to Greek syntax [2], the action of these participles must precede the action of the main verb, “will be saved.” Therefore, a person had to believe and be baptized before he would be saved. When viewed in its setting of the circumcision covenant, this is consistent with the purification rituals which were imposed on Israel. [3]

I hope this helps you part 1.
peace
C. Moore, Anybody can "cut and paste". When are you going to deal with the truth that Jesus said to be baptized for the remission of sins through his apostles? When?

JustAChristian

c.moore

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

C. Moore, Anybody can "cut and paste". When are you going to deal with the truth that Jesus said to be baptized for the remission of sins through his apostles? When?

JustAChristian

but the cut and paste is what I`ve been taught , and what I believe.

i don`t follow apostles, i would rather follow Jesus.:)

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Moore-Nowhere is baptism spoken of as a ritual

but the cut and paste is what I`ve been taught , and what I believe.

i don`t follow apostles, i would rather follow Jesus.:)

C. Moore, Have you ever though of arguing with your shadow? I bet your shadow would lose! Don't you realize, for the sake of wanting to win an argument, that you have blasphemed the Lord.! We are commanded to follow the apostles as they follow Christ (1 Cor. 11:1). You better be following what Paul and the apostles did and said, for they are chosen ministers of the Lord Himself and His authority in what they wrote for us!

JustAChristian
:rolleyes: