ECT The Gospel Proper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Clete, regarding your words to turbo, repeated in the Spoiler below, a...

:chuckle:

In that I was reminded of the former poster on here, Interplanner's actual beef with me.

Prior to TOL, he and I would go back and forth on another Forum, basically getting nowhere, due to what he eventually confessed, when I finally just threw up my hands and recommended he at least Google the words...

Pdf Things That Differ C.R. Stam

...download it, and actually read it before I would actually bother with him anymore.

He confessed he had no interest in doing even that much.

And yet, he continued on that Forum, and on this one here, when he and I ended up over here, the very practice he now continues on another Forum - to go on, and on, and on, against a subject he absolutely refused to bother actually looking into before allowing himself his two cents on it and its understandings - Mid-Acts Dispensationalism.

In the end, I just gave him a hard time, which he, of course, took great issue with.

The poster, northwye, has refused to do as much, and so has turbo, and others I have suggested the above to.

That is simply dishonest on the part of such.

Plain, and simple.

Rosenwriter, if you're reading this, I would suggest the above to you as well...

Nevertheless, Romans 5:6-8, in each...our stead.

Spoiler

There was a guy who went by 'Turbo' here on TOL several years ago who was perhaps the single most brilliant poster in the history of TOL as far as I'm concerned. You should look up some of his old posts. He's a Mid-Acts believer, you'll love his stuff.

As for my exhchange with Turbosixx, if I only interacted with people who were willing to be convinced away from their currently held doctrine, TOL would be a very borring place. I have no expectation of convincing him of anything (not that I don't wish or am not trying to do so), In fact, it seems like I've had more success with moving people in my theological direction that I'm not talking to directly. And even if that weren't the case, I seem to have some sort of genetic need to discuss this stuff with someone and I can do so here without worrying about getting kicked out of my Sunday School class. :)

By the way, I love "Things That Differ" by C.R. Stam. His book and several publications by the Berian Bible Society really helped me a lot when I was new to this material. Stam's book is not as good as Bob Enyart's, "The Plot" but it is a lot less expensive! It's hard to beat free! (I think that Stam was what they call a "Hyper-Dispensationalist", AKA an Acts 28 Dispensationalist and so he was really hard core against both water baptism and the Lord's Supper.)

Clete

musterion

You remind me of the Mormon missionaries. They wanted you to be baptized into their religion, but if they were asked if they would answer questions they were not willing to do that. It seems to me that if you were actually secure in your faith there wouldn't be such a resistance to "be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason..." (1 Peter 3;15).

As of this time, I have a very low opinion of "MAD" doctrine from what I have seen of its results both in its doctrines and the spirit shown by its supporters. That poor reputation is not the result of any "poorly taught teaching" but what has been earned. That may not be a fair approximation of all people who might hold similar beliefs, but that's the representation that has floated to the top, even accentuated through hindsight of "ah, that's where he was coming from, and that explains his strange attitude!"

If you would like to help undo that impression, just go back two steps and respond normally and like a regular human.

Sorry but you're still proving my point. But forget about that for a minute.

Listen...MADs, by and large, are not born into MAD nor raised in it. I've met a few who were but most become logically convinced of its biblical fidelity after being challenged to recognize, and then closely examine and test, the falseness of what they're already invested in defending. In my case, that was independent fundamental Baptist doctrine.

But years ago a MAD brother named Joel challenging me to examine MAD against what I already believed, measuring both against the Bible. He challenged me, begged me, dared me to refute a book he would send me, or admit that I couldn't. That was his challenge. I accepted, arrogantly thinking I'd make short work of it.

I have many flaws but I do not break my word. Accepting his challenge really required me to honestly examine, not just MAD, but what I already was convinced was true. The way that worked was by highlighting Scriptures that I'd not really examined or even thought about before. To do that, Joel mailed me the book by C.R. Stam which Clete referenced. Joel invited to "bleed red ink all over it."

My response was, I'm told, pretty typical: at first (good IFB that I was) I chuckled with smug self-confidence. Then I got quickly heated and insulted that God's Own Church was being directly challenged at its most precious point...but I couldn't refute what Stam was saying as easily as I'd expected to. Not at all, in fact.

So, pridefully, I still tried. I really tried. And consistently failed.

I couldn't help but see the truthfulness of what Stam wrote but still could not figure the angle he was coming from, just like I couldn't peg Joel's posts on the message board where we met. What I now know as MAD doctrine wasn't and definitely isn't typical fundie doctrine. Because it wasn't, I got really steamed -- the bull who tries and tries to gore the matador's cape but can't connect because he's too slow. That was me.

Get this: at one point I got so angry that I threw the book across the room and told my wife, "There is NO WAY I will ever believe what these people teach." No joke, it's the truth.

But I made Joel a promise to refute it or admit if I couldn't, and I would not break it.

Soon I went from insulted and angered, to humiliated that I'd been deceived by (at that point) almost 10 years of doctrinal darkness. We came out of a college church that was a doctrinal looney bin and so quickly became convinced that apparently rock-solid IFB doctrine was The Most Correct On Earth; the apparent solidity and systematic Bible referencing it did just seemed so right. But I was just deceived with IFB as I was in college. More so, in a way. I had to admit AGAIN that I'd been gravely misled, and it hurt.

But now I saw why and how it was wrong, and lots of other systems too, but far more importantly, how the Bible is right, and why.

And here I am.

I'm not patting myself on the back, in case it sounds like it. I was abominably stupid and slow-witted for a very long time (still am, sometimes). I went through much painful humbling to get here, no glory to me, all glory to God because that humbling was necessary. I'm also here at great cost to myself in the form of lost friends and broken fellowship. But it's all because someone dared me to seriously examine what I'd believed, and the truthfulness of the Bible shined forth like it never had before.

Best of all, I actually understand the Bible as a whole now. I understand how all the different parts fit together, and where they don't, and why.I'm nowhere near an expert but I'm light years ahead of where I was back when I met Joel and I wouldn't trade it for anything I gave up.

If you want to call that cultic, you go right ahead. But at least I'm honest about who I am and what I really believe and why. It isn't enough to say "It's in the Bible!" Nope, not good enough. In fact, that can be the most doctrinally dangerous thing to rest one's faith upon.

Because of that, you can ask me or any MAD here ANY question you want...but if (as mine once was) your own ignorance is so vast that you can't even ask the correct questions, we're going to tell you so, as I did earlier. But I will no longer waste time trying to help instruct those who clearly don't want it, and I don't think you do.

Last edited:

Danoh

There was a guy who went by 'Turbo' here on TOL several years ago who was perhaps the single most brilliant poster in the history of TOL as far as I'm concerned. You should look up some of his old posts. He's a Mid-Acts believer, you'll love his stuff.

As for my exhchange with Turbosixx, if I only interacted with people who were willing to be convinced away from their currently held doctrine, TOL would be a very borring place. I have no expectation of convincing him of anything (not that I don't wish or am not trying to do so), In fact, it seems like I've had more success with moving people in my theological direction that I'm not talking to directly. And even if that weren't the case, I seem to have some sort of genetic need to discuss this stuff with someone and I can do so here without worrying about getting kicked out of my Sunday School class. :)

By the way, I love "Things That Differ" by C.R. Stam. His book and several publications by the Berian Bible Society really helped me a lot when I was new to this material. Stam's book is not as good as Bob Enyart's, "The Plot" but it is a lot less expensive! It's hard to beat free! (I think that Stam was what they call a "Hyper-Dispensationalist", AKA an Acts 28 Dispensationalist and so he was really hard core against both water baptism and the Lord's Supper.)

Clete

Not sure how you arrived at that, but Stam was Acts 9 (aka Mid-Acts, or MAD). He also held to the Lord's Supper.

In fact, the phrase "Mid-Acts" originated with him, Baker and O'Hair, as a sort of an agreement between them that although they each differed on one small thing or another, here and there, all three were in agreement on much, especially that the Body began with its first Body member, the Apostle Paul, in Acts 9.

O'Hair, for example, was Acts 13, but still held the Body began in Acts 9.

All three of them were STRONGLY opposed to the Acts 28 Position that the Body began around or after Acts 28, and various of its other views.

All three had held that Paul preached one gospel throughout his entire ministry - Acts 9, to 2 Timothy.

In contrast, 28ers hold that Paul preached three different gospels, two in Acts, one after Acts, and do not hold to the Lord's supper.

28ers also hold to soul sleep and some are Polygamists.

Some 28ers hold to two Bodies, one in Acts, one after. Others do not.

The BBS might be surprised you hold Stam was Acts 28.

Lol - your assertion perhaps must be one more of your every so often confessed having ended up a bit rusty on one thing or another, here and there, over time.

It was E.C. Moore who ended up mixing Acts 9 with Acts 28 views into a hybrid of both.

And he was called on it by the best minds within Mid-Acts, back then, to no avail - I once read the minutes of their meeting on just that - Moore's views were proven full of holes some forty years ago, but he and others, like Bracken, went on to continue to propagate their hybrid errors.

In fact, back then, both the Acts 9ers and the Acts 28ers used to refer to Moore and Brackin as "Acts 28ers in Acts 9" clothing.

It was not a compliment.

No, Clete, Stam was nowhere even remotely Acts 28.

Not by a long shot, rusty.

:)

Rom. 5:6-8.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Not sure how you arrived at that, but Stam was Acts 9 (aka Mid-Acts, or MAD). He also held to the Lord's Supper.
I had this exact same discussion a long time ago. Perhaps I have it backwards.

In fact, the phrase "Mid-Acts" originated with him, Baker and O'Hair, as a sort of an agreement between them that although they each differed on one small thing or another, here and there, all three were in agreement on much, especially that the Body began with its first Body member, the Apostle Paul, in Acts 9.

O'Hair, for example, was Acts 13, but still held the Body began in Acts 9.

All three of them were STRONGLY opposed to the Acts 28 Position that the Body began around or after Acts 28, and various of its other views.

All three had held that Paul preached one gospel throughout his entire ministry - Acts 9, to 2 Timothy.

In contrast, 28ers hold that Paul preached three different gospels, two in Acts, one after Acts, and do not hold to the Lord's supper.

28ers also hold to soul sleep and some are Polygamists.

Some 28ers hold to two Bodies, one in Acts, one after. Others do not.

The BBS might be surprised you hold Stam was Acts 28.

Lol - your assertion perhaps must be one more of your every so often confessed having ended up a bit rusty on one thing or another, here and there, over time.

It was E.C. Moore who ended up mixing Acts 9 with Acts 28 views into a hybrid of both.

And he was called on it by the best minds within Mid-Acts, back then, to no avail - I once read the minutes of their meeting on just that - Moore's views were proven full of holes some forty years ago, but he and others, like Bracken, went on to continue to propagate their hybrid errors.

In fact, back then, both the Acts 9ers and the Acts 28ers used to refer to Moore and Brackin as "Acts 28ers in Acts 9" clothing.

It was not a compliment.

No, Clete, Stam was nowhere even remotely Acts 28.

Not by a long shot, rusty.

:)

Rom. 5:6-8.
Cool! I stand corrected.

Perhaps it's time I reread his book!

Rosenritter

Clete, regarding your words to turbo, repeated in the Spoiler below, a...

:chuckle:

In that I was reminded of the former poster on here, Interplanner's actual beef with me.

Prior to TOL, he and I would go back and forth on another Forum, basically getting nowhere, due to what he eventually confessed, when I finally just threw up my hands and recommended he at least Google the words...

...download it, and actually read it before I would actually bother with him anymore.

He confessed he had no interest in doing even that much.

And yet, he continued on that Forum, and on this one here, when he and I ended up over here, the very practice he now continues on another Forum - to go on, and on, and on, against a subject he absolutely refused to bother actually looking into before allowing himself his two cents on it and its understandings - Mid-Acts Dispensationalism.

In the end, I just gave him a hard time, which he, of course, took great issue with.

The poster, northwye, has refused to do as much, and so has turbo, and others I have suggested the above to.

That is simply dishonest on the part of such.

Plain, and simple.

Rosenwriter, if you're reading this, I would suggest the above to you as well...

Nevertheless, Romans 5:6-8, in each...our stead.

Spoiler

I'll look for the C.R. Stam writing. The article at https://frame-poythress.org/ebooks/understanding-dispensationalists/ was also written in a good spirit and was suggested by Ask Mr. Religion.

1. That's 188 pages ... I'm not going to be able to finish that today. Is there a particular section that you would like to highlight?
2. Is there anything there that he says that you would voice differently (or might not particularly agree with?)
3. Would you be able to answer questions concerning parts with which you do have agreement?

Rosenritter

Sorry but you're still proving my point. But forget about that for a minute.

Listen...MADs, by and large, are not born into MAD nor raised in it. I've met a few who were but most become logically convinced of its biblical fidelity after being challenged to recognize, and then closely examine and test, the falseness of what they're already invested in defending. In my case, that was independent fundamental Baptist doctrine.

But years ago a MAD brother named Joel challenging me to examine MAD against what I already believed, measuring both against the Bible. He challenged me, begged me, dared me to refute a book he would send me, or admit that I couldn't. That was his challenge. I accepted, arrogantly thinking I'd make short work of it.

I have many flaws but I do not break my word. Accepting his challenge really required me to honestly examine, not just MAD, but what I already was convinced was true. The way that worked was by highlighting Scriptures that I'd not really examined or even thought about before. To do that, Joel mailed me the book by C.R. Stam which Clete referenced. Joel invited to "bleed red ink all over it."

My response was, I'm told, pretty typical: at first (good IFB that I was) I chuckled with smug self-confidence. Then I got quickly heated and insulted that God's Own Church was being directly challenged at its most precious point...but I couldn't refute what Stam was saying as easily as I'd expected to. Not at all, in fact.

So, pridefully, I still tried. I really tried. And consistently failed.

I couldn't help but see the truthfulness of what Stam wrote but still could not figure the angle he was coming from, just like I couldn't peg Joel's posts on the message board where we met. What I now know as MAD doctrine wasn't and definitely isn't typical fundie doctrine. Because it wasn't, I got really steamed -- the bull who tries and tries to gore the matador's cape but can't connect because he's too slow. That was me.

Get this: at one point I got so angry that I threw the book across the room and told my wife, "There is NO WAY I will ever believe what these people teach." No joke, it's the truth.

But I made Joel a promise to refute it or admit if I couldn't, and I would not break it.

Soon I went from insulted and angered, to humiliated that I'd been deceived by (at that point) almost 10 years of doctrinal darkness. We came out of a college church that was a doctrinal looney bin and so quickly became convinced that apparently rock-solid IFB doctrine was The Most Correct On Earth; the apparent solidity and systematic Bible referencing it did just seemed so right. But I was just deceived with IFB as I was in college. More so, in a way. I had to admit AGAIN that I'd been gravely misled, and it hurt.

But now I saw why and how it was wrong, and lots of other systems too, but far more importantly, how the Bible is right, and why.

And here I am.

I'm not patting myself on the back, in case it sounds like it. I was abominably stupid and slow-witted for a very long time (still am, sometimes). I went through much painful humbling to get here, no glory to me, all glory to God because that humbling was necessary. I'm also here at great cost to myself in the form of lost friends and broken fellowship. But it's all because someone dared me to seriously examine what I'd believed, and the truthfulness of the Bible shined forth like it never had before.

Best of all, I actually understand the Bible as a whole now. I understand how all the different parts fit together, and where they don't, and why.I'm nowhere near an expert but I'm light years ahead of where I was back when I met Joel and I wouldn't trade it for anything I gave up.

If you want to call that cultic, you go right ahead. But at least I'm honest about who I am and what I really believe and why. It isn't enough to say "It's in the Bible!" Nope, not good enough. In fact, that can be the most doctrinally dangerous thing to rest one's faith upon.

Because of that, you can ask me or any MAD here ANY question you want...but if (as mine once was) your own ignorance is so vast that you can't even ask the correct questions, we're going to tell you so, as I did earlier. But I will no longer waste time trying to help instruct those who clearly don't want it, and I don't think you do.

I have a question for you then. For when we are instructed, for example to "love" or "repent" or "search the scriptures" is this something that is accomplished and finished once and for all with a single action, or is this something that is an ongoing process, a manner of life and action that we need to not only begin, but also to continue?

While I appreciate your sentiment that "ask me or any MAD here ANY question I want ..." there are people on this board who have repeatedly voiced that they will refuse to answer questions. You may speak for yourself (and thank you) but you are not speaking for others.

glorydaz

Good point. Replace reluctant with uncertain or confused. But as you rightly point out, the point still stands that he got chewed out by the other Jewish believers. Only mid Acts folks can rightly explain why without slandering anyone.

Right.

Peter was certainly reluctant to eat the unclean food. "Not so Lord".

The Disciples were also reluctant to have Jesus go near any who were "unclean".

Matt. 15:23-26 But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us. 24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. 26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.​

What happened with Stephen and Cornelius are both critical to understanding what changed when the Lord appeared to Paul on the road to Damascus, and neither should be explained away as some unrelated event.

glorydaz

If Musterion wanted me to know where he was coming from he has the opportunity to explain. He preferred an unsupported meaningless retort of "all your answers are wrong" which seemed to bring about the wild cheering of the MAD fan-base.

Delusional.

As for the rest that you said afterwards, I don't disagree with it at all and it was well spoken. I wouldn't mind continuing on that standard of calmness and civility.

"Civility" like the pharisees practiced? Try to be specific.

glorydaz

While I appreciate your sentiment that "ask me or any MAD here ANY question I want ..." there are people on this board who have repeatedly voiced that they will refuse to answer questions. You may speak for yourself (and thank you) but you are not speaking for others.

I haven't seen that. I HAVE seen Rosenritter refusing to even speak to those who do have answers.

musterion

When we are instructed, for example to "love" or "repent" or "search the scriptures" is this something that is accomplished and finished once and for all with a single action, or is this something that is an ongoing process, a manner of life and action that we need to not only begin, but also to continue?

I'm drawing a blank on what's that got to do with MAD. Please explain.

While I appreciate your sentiment that "ask me or any MAD here ANY question I want ..." there are people on this board who have repeatedly voiced that they will refuse to answer questions.

Maybe because when dealing with the opponents of MAD, we usually have to wade through so much bad indoctrination in order to even get the right question asked, and THEN try to answer it, it's usually impossible in this setting. It's tiresome, especially after fighting it more than once. I tried it with you and it got nowhere. I bet that's what you've encountered.

What's worse is dealing with ignorant or mistaken persons who don't believe they're ignorant or mistaken, so they'll refuse to hear any correction that might lead to real understanding of what we actually believe. That's a complete waste of time. That could be what you're getting too.

musterion

Right.

Peter was certainly reluctant to eat the unclean food. "Not so Lord".

The Disciples were also reluctant to have Jesus go near any who were "unclean".
Matt. 15:23-26 But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us. 24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. 26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.​

What happened with Stephen and Cornelius are both critical to understanding what changed when the Lord appeared to Paul on the road to Damascus, and neither should be explained away as some unrelated event.

And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew [Peter] to keep company, or come unto one of another nation [Cornelius]; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

Them's the first words out of Peter's mouth to a house full of Gentiles, and NONE of it makes sense per the terms of the "great commission."

And yet there's not one thing Peter said here that was wrong.

Let's see which non-MAD can crack the code first.

glorydaz

I'm drawing a blank on what's that got to do with MAD. Please explain.

Maybe because when dealing with the opponents of MAD, we usually have to wade through so much bad indoctrination in order to even get the right question asked, and THEN try to answer it, it's usually impossible in this setting. It's tiresome, especially after fighting it more than once. I bet that's what you've encountered.

What's worse is dealing with ignorant or mistaken persons who don't believe they're ignorant or mistaken, so they'll refuse to hear any correction that might lead to real understanding of what you actually believe. That's a complete waste of time. That could be what you're getting too.

It's actually very close to what Paul had to contend with. He spent so much time teaching the righteousness of faith...that righteousness does not come from obeying the law of commandments. Even the Apostles had trouble with it, and it took the sheet vision to even get Peter to see that tip of the iceberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.