The Gospel Of Thomas

Lon

I am going to start reporting ppl that have nothing to say about the subject at hand..I cant believe you guys are this disrespectful...

And I dont care about the canon, we have been over that subject... I have only reported ONE post since I been here and I try hard to get along with most,, please have some respect.
Sorry, I think "Canonicity" within the bounds of discussion. You must remember this isn't just a theology site but owned by Christians such that canonicity is pertinent to our forum. You aren't going to get traction with a report against such a concern, Joseph. Our collective concern is certainly concerned about the greater issue of the book than a line by line discussion of its contents.
From the second quote of the OP:
... we do not need to know anything about Gnosticisim but those who do know something about it are welcome to share.
I know enough about gnosticism to join in and share, I believe, and felt 'welcomed.' Nobody mentioned debate was not encouraged because I try hard to honor intentions of O.P.'s

Lon

Here are three sayings that I think speak about reincarnation.

(11) Jesus said, "This heaven will pass away, and the one above it will pass away. The dead are not alive, and the living will not die. In the days when you consumed what is dead, you made it what is alive. When you come to dwell in the light, what will you do? On the day when you were one you became two. But when you become two, what will you do?"

(18) The disciples said to Jesus, "Tell us how our end will be."
Jesus said, "Have you discovered, then, the beginning, that you look for the end? For where the beginning is, there will the end be. Blessed is he who will take his place in the beginning; he will know the end and will not experience death."

(51) His disciples said to him, "When will the repose of the dead come about, and when will the new world come?"
He said to them, "What you look forward to has already come, but you do not recognize it."
Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, and after this judgment.

JosephR

Sorry, I think "Canonicity" within the bounds of discussion. You must remember this isn't just a theology site but owned by Christians such that canonicity is pertinent to our forum. You aren't going to get traction with a report against such a concern, Joseph. Our collective concern is certainly concerned about the greater issue of the book than a line by line discussion of its contents.

I know enough about gnosticism to join in and share, I believe, and felt 'welcomed.' Nobody mentioned debate was not encouraged because I try hard to honor intentions of O.P.'s

I dont care what you think..

and this is not about the canon,,this is not "your" forum...

and if I am not helped then I will bow out and you can have what is yours,,for render unto Cesar what is His and render unto God what is His.

JosephR

Intojoy..lol@name of such a vile piece of human flesh...
Meshak, talking drama..
Lon, He is right and all is wrong but him..
This Charming Manc, blind damning fool.

are all on ignore..

The study continues..

JosephR

(39) Jesus said: The Pharisees and the scribes have taken the keys of knowledge (and) have hidden them. They did not go in, and those who wished to go in they did not allow. But you, be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

See Matthew 10:16,Matthew 23:13

Levolor

(39) Jesus said: The Pharisees and the scribes have taken the keys of knowledge (and) have hidden them. They did not go in, and those who wished to go in they did not allow. But you, be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

I have thought that that was a very good saying. Very appropriate for what has been transpiring lately. And so, have let it be posted without making comment.

I shall, Lord willing, come online early tomorrow (either in the morning or evening) and make comment.

May God bless us one and all.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Reincarnation (rebirth)

Reincarnation (rebirth)

Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, and after this judgment.

I held the former charter thread here at TOL on 'Reincarnation', but my older thread was deleted with many other older threads in the last server upgrade (making new space). Our current extant thread on the subject was taken up by me here, so those interested in seeing what we've covered so far, can inquire there. - I gather I still have some other religious traditions to cover, on their views on 'rebirth'. My pivotal exchanges with Cruciform on the similarities and differences of 'reincarnation' and 'resurrection' are there as well.

Your passage quote above is covered here, it does not in any way, shape or form discount neither disprove the concept of 'reincarnation'. Reincarnation in some form or another is at the heart of many of our fundamental religious systems in their esoteric schools, the 'principle' being integral to the eternal progression and perfection of souls, via the 'plurality of existence', 'multiple life-experiences' or 'soul-embodiments'. The subject has some subtle complexities among the various schools and theories concerning the 'mechanics' involved, but philosophically....the logic and wisdom of such holds thru-out.

A shorter term used instead of 'reincarnation' but referring to the same thing is 'rebirth', when understood in the proper context.

pj

staind.raindrop

:nono: For saying the GoT isn't canonical and to take it with a grain of salt? I don't think so. If this user left, it was not because of me. :nono:

(maybe for being mean to PJ if it was his/her best friend or something - but I'd have to say 'very thin skinned and shouldn't be on TOL' at that point)

I understand that the difference between canonical and non-canonical books is the fact that a group of religious leaders concluded the non-canonical books were not Spirit inspired. I am not particularly educated on the subject and since you said that you believe you fit into the body of Christ as a teacher, I was hoping you could explain to me the reasoning behind why these religious leaders' opinions should determine the credibility of these writings.

JosephR

I understand that the difference between canonical and non-canonical books is the fact that a group of religious leaders concluded the non-canonical books were not Spirit inspired. I am not particularly educated on the subject and since you said that you believe you fit into the body of Christ as a teacher, I was hoping you could explain to me the reasoning behind why these religious leaders' opinions should determine the credibility of these writings.

Lon can take His teaching of the canon elsewhere.. and are not needed HERE,

For the blind will lead the blind.

The credibility of these writing are not in question HERE.
Only the study of there of.

TAKE IT ELSE WHERE.

JosephR

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

Good post Lon!

staind.raindrop

TAKE IT ELSE WHERE.

Seriously? You're gonna make me start a thread to get one question answered? Whatever. :rolleyes:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
He gives the keys of knowledge.......

He gives the keys of knowledge.......

Of great importance is this saying, in that the scribes had access to the treasures of the word, in which the keys to spiritual truths and principles were enshrouded or invested, yet they were not faithful in teaching the word in ways most appropriate, holding back the 'keys' of gnosis, preventing people from receiving the true light. It is the true 'keys' that open and unlock the mysteries of the kingdom, and impart their treasures.

A true teacher will by the Spirit minister the truest values and most holy keys to those truly ready and surrended to receive such downloads from heaven. When both teacher and student are both in 'synergy' (communion),...there, a special sharing in the Spirit transpires that is beyond space and time, in the omnipresent One, where all is Light.

pj

staind.raindrop

TAKE IT ELSE WHERE.

I am looking for which side to take, here. I am already leaning toward yours as it is and if he can't provide something a little more sound than a long winded version of 'because they said so' I won't be swayed over to his, FTR. I don't think your shoeing me away is helping your cause, though.

Lon

I held the former charter thread here at TOL on 'Reincarnation', but my older thread was deleted with many other older threads in the last server upgrade (making new space). Our current extant thread on the subject was taken up by me here, so those interested in seeing what we've covered so far, can inquire there. - I gather I still have some other religious traditions to cover, on their views on 'rebirth'. My pivotal exchanges with Cruciform on the similarities and differences of 'reincarnation' and 'resurrection' are there as well.

Your passage quote above is covered here, it does not in any way, shape or form discount neither disprove the concept of 'reincarnation'. Reincarnation in some form or another is at the heart of many of our fundamental religious systems in their esoteric schools, the 'principle' being integral to the eternal progression and perfection of souls, via the 'plurality of existence', 'multiple life-experiences' or 'soul-embodiments'. The subject has some subtle complexities among the various schools and theories concerning the 'mechanics' involved, but philosophically....the logic and wisdom of such holds thru-out.

A shorter term used instead of 'reincarnation' but referring to the same thing is 'rebirth', when understood in the proper context.

pj
Ah yes, the PJ hour commercial.

I’d rather have Jesus -Rhea F. Miller 1922
  1. I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
    I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
    I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands;

I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand
    • Refrain:
      Than to be the king of a vast domain
      And be held in sin’s dread sway;
      I’d rather have Jesus than anything
      This world affords today.
  2. I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause;
    I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause;
    I’d rather have Jesus than worldwide fame;
    I’d rather be true to His holy name
  3. He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
    He’s sweeter than honey from out the comb;
    He’s all that my hungering spirit needs;
    I’d rather have Jesus and let Him lead

Lon

We have internal and external criteria for determining a book's inspiration. Our OT canon is the way it is because we look to what Jesus quoted from and what the disciples quoted from as well as what that canon looked like at the time of Christ.

Our N.T. is written the same. Every book was handed to us by apostles who had Apostle authority to give them to us. Thomas was an Apostle but 1) this book comes from Egypt 2) from 200 AD

and 3) doesn't agree with other scriptures as I've given a few in thread that actually contradict it (read back a page or two and see the scripture comparisons I've given, perhaps to check facts). I don't like anyone trying to rewrite my bible. Supporting it? Backing it up? Yes. Going it against it? :nono: This supposed Gospel of Thomas isn't looking to me like it is a gospel or from Thomas at present. I'll keep reading.

Such leads me toward what I feel a healthy skepticism (including the rest of Christianity). Who is pushing for it? Cultists, gnostics, and agnostics/atheists. We HAVE to ask why that is :think: What's their stake in all this I wonder :think:

In a nutshell, hope it helps.

I don't think your shoeing me away is helping your cause, though.
PJ's his friend and Unknown left so he's a bit angry at the moment. Not typical for Joseph. :(

In Him

Lon