ECT The Gospel in Romans 10

God's Truth

Jesus did not preach the truth and then change it for Paul and the Gentiles!

Jesus is the Word of God and His Word remains forever.

Danoh

I could not care less what you think is funny. I only care about God the Father and Jesus Christ.

There is nothing funny about God and His Truth.

You're right.

What you make of "God and His Truth" is not funny; it is a travesty.

And because you do this in your ignorance, you will also , in your ignorance, take this point as an attack on your person.

Even when you relate that you could not care what another thinks of you, you are once more revealing your ignorance.

For you are, never were, never will be, the issue - your ignorance is the issue.

For a Great White Throne of ignorance it is.

Wake up, woman!

musterion

And, GT, I do apologize for one thing. You're not teaching the traditions of men as Scripture; I take that back. You're teaching as Scripture the opinions of an ignorant woman. You.

God's Truth

And, GT, I do apologize for one thing. You're not teaching the traditions of men as Scripture; I take that back. You're teaching as Scripture the opinions of an ignorant woman. You.

I am preaching God's Truth. You do not like it that you are rebuked by a child.

God's Truth

You're right.

What you make of "God and His Truth" is not funny; it is a travesty.

And because you do this in your ignorance, you will also , in your ignorance, take this point as an attack on your person.

Even when you relate that you could not care what another thinks of you, you are once more revealing your ignorance.

For you are, never were, never will be, the issue - your ignorance is the issue.

For a Great White Throne of ignorance it is.

Wake up, woman!

Nowhere anywhere in the Bible does it say we no longer have to obey but only believe, NOWHERE.

You had better wake up and be clothed with Christ, because he comes as a thief in the night. Being clothed with Christ is about OBEYING Jesus.

musterion

Nowhere anywhere in the Bible does it say we no longer have to obey but only believe, NOWHERE.

You had better wake up and be clothed with Christ, because he comes as a thief in the night. Being clothed with Christ is about OBEYING Jesus.

You're not obeying Christ when you say His Father made a covenant with Gentiles, when He did not. You're putting words into God's mouth...adding to the Scriptures. You know the curse upon all for doing that.

God's Truth

I only believe in what the written Word of God says.

I will not believe any teachings that say we only have to believe and no longer have to obey unless I see it in the scriptures.

It can never ever been shown, because it does not exist.

Obey Jesus.

Jamie Gigliotti

Some say the Gospel isn't there. I say it is.

Paul has taught extensively in this chapter about the law and justification. The very first chapter speaks of the Gospel of Salvation. Are we just to forget the entire letter and claim Romans 10 has no back story? We "confess" what? That Jesus is Lord, the ONLY Saviour (God). Saviour from sin goes without saying. The Law with it's sacrifices for sin vs. the end of the Law for righteousness for all who believe. Separate the sacrificial death of Christ from the law, and the law has no meaning.

That He was "raised from the dead" includes His death burial and resurrection. With the heart man "believeth" unto righteousness. And what is in that word "believe"? The death, burial and resurrection is there. If it isn't then it isn't believing unto righteousness, as Paul has explained already. There it is.... the justification of faith. There isn't one single thing missing.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.​

Romans has got to be taken as a whole.

Romans 6:22 "But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and it's end eternal life."

This shows the confession of the mouth to be true.

musterion

I only believe in what the written Word of God says.

I will not believe any teachings that say we only have to believe and no longer have to obey unless I see it in the scriptures.

It can never ever been shown, because it does not exist.

Obey Jesus.

Show this covenant God made with Gentiles apart from Israel and I will believe it and obey it.

God's Truth

You're not obeying Christ when you say His Father made a covenant with Gentiles, when He did not.

Luke 22:20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you

Matthew 26:28
This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Did you read that? Jesus says for the FORGIVENESS OF SINS. It is a COVENANT with his blood.

1 Corinthians 10:16
Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ?

1 Corinthians 11:25
In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me."

2 Corinthians 3:6
He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant--not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Hebrews 8:6
But in fact the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, since the new covenant is established on better promises.

Hebrews 8:8
But God found fault with the people and said: "The days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah.

Hebrews 8:13
By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

Hebrews 9:15
For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance--now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

Jerry Shugart

I think it is there, Jerry. What is Paul having us confess? I think he's having us confess (acknowledge) that the Lord Jesus Christ is the only Saviour. That we are to believe in our heart that it is He who died for our offenses and was raised for our justification.

You think it is there?

What verse?

The chapter will be searched in vain for the fact that Christ died for our sins and that is an integral part of the gospel:

"Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures" (1 Cor.15:1-3).​

That was the first thing Paul told the unsaved. That truth cannot be found in the tenth chapter of the epistle to the Romans.

When you listed the things which you think belong to the gospel you left out the fact that Christ died for our sins:

That He was "raised from the dead" includes His death burial and resurrection. With the heart man "believeth" unto righteousness. And what is in that word "believe"? The death, burial and resurrection is there. If it isn't then it isn't believing unto righteousness, as Paul has explained already. There it is.... the justification of faith. There isn't one single thing missing.

Yes, there is a thing missing, and that is the fact that Christ died for our sins.

musterion

Luke 22:20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you

Matthew 26:28
This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Did you read that? Jesus says for the FORGIVENESS OF SINS. It is a COVENANT with his blood.

1 Corinthians 10:16
Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ?

1 Corinthians 11:25
In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me."

2 Corinthians 3:6
He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant--not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Hebrews 8:6
But in fact the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, since the new covenant is established on better promises.

Hebrews 8:8
But God found fault with the people and said: "The days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah.

Hebrews 8:13
By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

Hebrews 9:15
For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance--now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

Please repost this and highlight in yellow the part where God made a covenant with Gentiles independent of Israel.

glorydaz

That does not speak of the source of the blessing, that the believer is "justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus" (Ro.3:24).

This verse is about the fact that we are redeemed by the blood of the Lord Jesus:

"Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ" (1 Pet.1:18-13).​

the verse which you quote here says nothing about the source of that blessing:

The truth concerning the source of the blessing which believers receive is notfound in the tenth chapter of Romans. How anyone can forget the part of the gospel which declares that Christ died for our sins is beyond me!

Paul didn't forget which is why he says Christ is the end of the law for righteousness and that he was raised from the dead. Confessing Jesus as the source of all blessing is what we are to acknowledge. The ONLY SAVIOUR (God). If people aren't acknowledging that then they aren't saved. The very fact that Christ is the end of the Law for righteousness puts Him in the place of the atonement for sin. The sacrificial aspects of the law always pointed to Christ. That's what Paul is saying...besides the fact of the resurrection....which demands His death and burial be included. How can anyone not add 2 and 2 and not see the 4?

Danoh

I do not know but I wonder if it ties in with receiving the grace of God, but in vain? That is, grace is acknowledged but is not truly received...not really believed and trusted...leading to having an appearance of righteousness but denying the very (and only) power thereof, which power is received only through believing the Gospel. Wouldn't such seem to tie into the overall context of Israel's failure? Just a thought.

My understanding of that...

Romans 9:

32. Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;
33. As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

In other words, there was this - Romans 2:

25. For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.

But 25 a was this issue here - Romans 2:

28. For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
29. But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

They sought it by the outward works of the Law. They believed - erroneously - that was the issue.

As a result their faith was in vain; based as it had been on a vain, empty, or baseless, lifeless, devoid of life giving... object of said faith/belief.

Merely believing a thing is so, does not make it so. Believing it with all one's heart does not make it so. And what they had believed had been their tradition.

As a result, when the end of the Law - its object - showed up within their midst - they stumbled in the ignorance that had been their belief.

Isaiah 29:
13. Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is
taught by the precept of men: