The Fossil Record

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is pretty obvious (harvey hates it when I use that word) in this thread that harvey and others are continuing their tactic of "shooting the messenger" because the fossil record really doesn't "fit" the evolutionary story very well.

It really is immaterial if "most" of the evidence can be placed into their general framework, because in Science the exceptions are what sinks theories.

Notice that when the going gets tough they try to switch the topic to the Bible, as though if they discredit scripture that this will protect their concept.

Notice also they insist illogically that we must lump microevolution (small change) with macroevolution (major transformation from one type to another). This is done not because it is scientifically justified but only because that is the way they present it to their gullible students, most of whom eventually swallow such a lie and perhaps go on to become the next generation of committed evolutionists. Then they have the gall to demand that skeptics prove that small changes will not add up to macroevolution given sufficient time like millions of years. No matter that the fossil record shows no such thing, in fact it shows the exact opposite, as more and more people are beginning to realize now that we have the internet and no longer have to get all of our information about such things in books written by evolutionists.

Mr Jack

Lynn73,

What then is your response to the many, many Christians (and other theists) who believe in Evolution?

Jukia

bob b said:
It is pretty obvious (harvey hates it when I use that word) in this thread that harvey and others are continuing their tactic of "shooting the messenger" because the fossil record really doesn't "fit" the evolutionary story very well.

No, what is obvious is that neither you nor Lynn have any real grasp of biology or evolutionary thinking.

Lynn73

Mr Jack said:
Lynn73,

What then is your response to the many, many Christians (and other theists) who believe in Evolution?

I assume you mean that these are people who believe in God and Christ for no one can be a Christian without knowing and accepting Christ. They just believe that God did everything through evolution, correct? Obviously, I don't agree with them.

Mr Jack

Lynn73 said:
I assume you mean that these are people who believe in God and Christ for no one can be a Christian without knowing and accepting Christ. They just believe that God did everything through evolution, correct? Obviously, I don't agree with them.

You've stated that you believe that "Evolutionists" are deliberately misleading people, and that they only accept evolution because they wish to avoid accepting the existence of a creator. How then do you explain those accept both evolution and a creator?

Lynn73

I believed I used the term, "some" evolutionists. I don't believe I said that all evolutionists think like that because I know they don't. I already knew that some Christians believe God used evolution and I know that some evoltionists are just plain deceived even though they sincerely believe in evolution. And there are those who have stated they don't want their to be a God and yes, SOME (not all) like evolution because it allows them to live any way they want without being answerable to God. I don't have time now (time to work) to check my past posts but see if I said all evolutionists like evolution becaues they don't want there to be a God. I believe I used the word some, not all. Or the word many. I'm pretty sure I didn't use the word all.

Lynn73

I also have no idea why Christians would believe in evolution instead of what the Bible says plus I just don't believe the evidence truly supports evolution.

Jukia

Lynn: I think what is really interesting is that you ascribe to "some" evolutionists a belief in a scientific theory because it allows them to live however they want and not be answerable to God. I fail to see the connection. Seems to me that if you want to live a profligate lifestyle you do not need evolution to justify that. There were many people living party lifestyles or lifestyles that put themselves first long before Charles Darwin.
People "believe" in evolution because the evidence is overwhelming. Take some time to investigate, don't take as gospel what you see on the AiG web site, or for that matter, what you see on any pro-evolution web site.
Look for example at the thread dealing with manganese nodules, I think it is on the Bob Enyart Live portion of TOL. Pastor Enyart made some claims based on a video. A number of the young earthers jumped on that band wagon. Investigation showed that the information the Pastor Enyart used to make some specific claims, once clarified, did not support his claims.
Every young earth claim that I have ever bothered to delve into has not held water. Look at the evidence, learn some science.

aharvey

bob b said:
Not that you have ever felt compelled to back up your ad hominem attacks, but I would appreciate it if you could show me where I have engaged in shooting the messenger here? And where you or anyone else here has done anything but agree that evolutionary theory does in fact explain what we see in the fossil record whereas the Genesis account does not (your excuse, as I recall, was that it was impossible for us to make predictions about what might result from such extreme, unique events).
bob b said:
It really is immaterial if "most" of the evidence can be placed into their general framework, because in Science the exceptions are what sinks theories.
1) That's flat out false, and 2) your alternative "theory" is virtually nothing but exceptions!
bob b said:
Notice that when the going gets tough they try to switch the topic to the Bible, as though if they discredit scripture that this will protect their concept.
Hmm, where exactly had the going gotten tough? This is all entry-level stuff here. To me, anyways. Oh, perhaps you mean it's gotten tough for the creationist side... And as I recall, it was Turbo who in the most recent round was the one invoking the Bible in these discussions. How can we switch the topic to the one that you guys brought up? So tell me, bob, what does it mean to you when creationists switch the topic to the Bible when they sense the going getting tough?
bob b said:
Notice also they insist illogically that we must lump microevolution (small change) with macroevolution (major transformation from one type to another). This is done not because it is scientifically justified but only because that is the way they present it to their gullible students, most of whom eventually swallow such a lie and perhaps go on to become the next generation of committed evolutionists.
Bob, I've repeatedly explained evolutionary theory to you, including the logical basis for the argument that "microevolution" and "macroevolution" refer to the same theory on different scales. You have never ever ever even attempted to demonstrate the illogical elements of this explanation, but you quite happily call me a liar for making the case?
bob b said:
Then they have the gall to demand that skeptics prove that small changes will not add up to macroevolution given sufficient time like millions of years.
Once again, please explain when and why this process will stop working! All I've said, over and over and over again, is that there is nothing in the evolutionary model (which you yourself agree is correct and logical) that specifies that the process will stop working after a certain amount of change or time. For crying out loud, bob, you are the person claiming that there is in fact some limit to the process; why on earth do you not feel any responsibility to back up your claim? How on earth can you pretend that it's up to me to rule out a limiting factor when I don't have any idea what that limiting factor might be?
bob b said:
No matter that the fossil record shows no such thing, in fact it shows the exact opposite, as more and more people are beginning to realize now that we have the internet and no longer have to get all of our information about such things in books written by evolutionists.
Anyone who believes what they read on the internet over what professionals in the field publish... I'll simply note that when bob blathers on in such generalities, "the fossil record shows no support for evolutionary theory," he shows no hesitation in his assertions, but when pressed for details on specific patterns, he either ignores you, changes the subject, claims there isn't enough fossil evidence yet but is sure the supporting data will be found someday, or agrees that the existing data is in fact consistent with evolutionary theory.

aharvey

Lynn73 said:
I also have no idea why Christians would believe in evolution instead of what the Bible says plus I just don't believe the evidence truly supports evolution.
But it's a belief borne of self-professed ignorance. Just so we're clear on that.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mr Jack said:
You've stated that you believe that "Evolutionists" are deliberately misleading people, and that they only accept evolution because they wish to avoid accepting the existence of a creator. How then do you explain those accept both evolution and a creator?

There are many whose faith is so weak and who are so awed by the accomplishments of science (e.g. going to the Moon) that they feel that they must find a way to reconcile what scientists are currently saying and what the Bible clearly says.

The method that these people have selected for the "reconciliation" is to believe that the Bible does not really mean what it apparently does, but instead must have only been speaking symbolically.

In other words, they have more faith in what scientists say about Origins than what the Bible says about Origins.

About Harvey: he never seems to tire of putting words in my mouth that I never said. (he will now probably attempt to divert attention from the subject of this thread by starting a long and boring tirade which also asks me to "prove" that he puts words in my mouth, just as he wants us creationists to "prove" that small changes will not add up to really big ones (bacteria to humans) given billions of years, because we all know that given enough time anything can happen).

In a way this is humorous, because the ideas in such speculative areas of science as Origins are constantly changing whereas the Bible obviously never changes (except perhaps for a few typos).

To make it even more preposterous, you will hear people on this forum claim that the fact that science ideas continually change is a big plus, whereas an unchanging Bible is a real drawback. ;)

Jukia

bob b said:
In other words, they have more faith in what scientists say about Origins than what the Bible says about Origins.

And then there are those who put their faith in what scientists say about Origins rather than the Bible, but put their faith in God based on the Bible rather than what scientists say.

aharvey

bob b said:
blah blah blah...

About Harvey: he never seems to tire of putting words in my mouth that I never said. (he will now probably attempt to divert attention from the subject of this thread by starting a long and boring tirade which also asks me to "prove" that he puts words in my mouth, just as he wants us creationists to "prove" that small changes will not add up to really big ones (bacteria to humans) given billions of years, because we all know that given enough time anything can happen).

I'll save you the trouble of "proving" that I put words in your mouth and simply back each of my most recent statements with your own words. If this is not what you were referring to, then you'll need to be more specific.

My recent post to which I think bob is taking issue:

"Anyone who believes what they read on the internet over what professionals in the field publish... I'll simply note that when bob blathers on in such generalities, "the fossil record shows no support for evolutionary theory," he shows no hesitation in his assertions, but when pressed for details on specific patterns, he either ignores you,..."

One of many, many , many examples:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=998932&postcount=144

"Quote:
Originally Posted by aharvey

Okay, here's a nice example of one of your evolutionary cartoons. "Living fossils" are an extreme minority, as you well know. And the parts they leave behind are not identical to those of modern forms, as you well know. And the parts they leave behind are not exhaustive, meaning that they do not prove that no evolution took place. I notice you studiously avoided answering the question about the skeletons of the two warblers, so I'm guessing this is something you also already know."

As you can tell, not the first time I've reminded bob about the warblers. Still failed to elicit a response from him.

"...changes the subject,..."

Me: the Biblical “description” of a “behemoth” does not sound much at all like a dinosaur, and is far too lyrical and fanciful to hang one’s hat on as a literal description of any particular creature. My specific closing statement: “Look at this passage, people! It is very lyrical, fanciful, poetic; what do you think it is really trying to say? So much of it is clearly metaphorical/alleghorical, why would you think it must nonetheless be referring, and accurately, to an existing creature?”

Bob’s responses:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1001259&postcount=189

"There you go again: nitpicking an English translation in order to continue your practice of degnigrating scripture." [note, this is not followed with something relevant like “the Hebrew translation actually provides a much better description of a dinosaur…”]

And…

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1002050&postcount=208

"Why do you continually use English translations of the Hebrew?" [note, this is not followed with something relevant like “the Hebrew translation actually provides a much better description of a dinosaur…”]

"Do you think that the ancient writers paid any attention to the way we name and classify lifeforms today?" [this has nothing to do with the statements to which he claims to be responding]

"Do you think that the King James translators were familiar with dinosaurs?" [note, this is not followed with something relevant like “the Hebrew translation actually provides a much better description of a dinosaur…”]

"And the modern translators are too intimidated by scientists to ever dare suggest that the most logical animal to fit the description given in Job is a dinosaur, because "everyone knows" they became extinct millions of years ago." [a double whammy: this has nothing to do with the statements to which he claims to be responding, and still is not followed with something relevant like “the Hebrew translation actually provides a much better description of a dinosaur…”]

All I said is that the descriptions don't read like dinosaur descriptions, and while bob obviously is challenging me, he does so by trying everything except show that in fact they do read like dinosaur descriptions.

"...claims there isn't enough fossil evidence yet but is sure the supporting data will be found someday,..."

My favorite example of this, given that elsewhere you scoff when evolutionists invoke an incomplete fossil record:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=887049&postcount=50

Quote [from me]:
"Over the months I've asked for creationist explanations for a few data sets with which I am familiar, and have yet to hear an explanation that is more than a wild guess that is, of course, consistent with Genesis (as opposed to an explanation that is derived directly from the creationist model). For example, Why does the global distribution of marsupial fossils, supposedly deposited during the Flood, match up so well with the global distribution of modern marsupials, which supposedly recolonized a supposedly very different looking planet after the Flood (which, remember, did a lot more than simply cover the existing topography with water!) from a single point of departure? And the pattern is far richer than simply "marsupials present/absent." But so far I've heard nothing resembling a creationist perspective that could explain even the coarsest global presence/absence patterns."

bob's reply: "Global distributions of fossils are not known all that well due to the fact that some areas are more accessible to investigation than others (due to many factors such as topography and political stability, etc). It is surprising for instance how many fossils are found in regions of the globe where their presumed ancestors would not have frequented. Evolutionists typically "force-fit" correlations by assuming different past climates and even different configurations of continents. With no control on such assumptions one can correlate anything with anything given sufficient resources."

"...or agrees that the existing data is in fact consistent with evolutionary theory."

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=998932&postcount=144
Me:"Evolutionary theory suggests that the greater the time since two organisms shared a common ancestor, the greater the potential for change. Therefore, the proportion of fossils that would be considered "extremely similar" to modern forms should decrease in increasingly older geologic strata (it does not say if, or when, this proportion should equal zero!). As much as you might want to harp on "living fossils," even you must agree that this prediction is upheld."

Bob b: "I would agree except to note that this was not a "prediction" but an after the fact conclusion which was arrived at by observing the fossil record. However, the way the evolutionary hypothesis is formulate there should be no valid exceptions, not just that the majority of findings describe a general pattern."

In other words “Yes, but…” (and I did address those flabby “buts,” though that’s besides my point here).Then, when I point blank challenged him to show how Creationism could explain this same pattern, bob replies:

“Defy away, but if you think it is feasible to predict in detail the effects of even a minor "blip" like a hurricane without looking at past evidences of ones that happened, then be my guest. Then try to do a prediction for a one-of-a-kind event of global scale.”

I inadvertently left that one off my list: he rationalizes why creationism can’t explain the pattern.

Frankly, for someone who assigns deeply personal and always unflattering motivations to people on practically a daily basis on this forum to complain that someone puts words in his mouth seems deeply hypocritical, to say the least (can we say "motes and beams"?). But hopefully I've made it clear that I have not charged bob with doing anything that he hasn't actually done.

I'm sorry if bob considers this a "long and boring tirade;" he doesn't seem to understand the value of actually providing evidence for one's claims, and in fact the last time I extensively documented my challenge to the personal feelings/motivations bob ascribed to someone, he simply dismissed it as so much "verbiage." And yes, I can supply a link to that too!

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The latest from creationsafaris, by way of the "hypocrite".

Evolutionary Theory: Verified or Vilified? 01/26/2006
Jeffrey Schwartz has reason to be happy that his particular theory of evolution received some support recently, according to a press release from University of Pittsburgh. But look at the pedestal he is standing on: the ruins of classical Darwinism and neo-Darwinism. In supporting his own theory, he kicked out the props from under standard evolutionary theory (emphasis added in all quotes):

Fossils: The missing links Darwin expected to find “have not been found because they don’t exist,” he claims. The gradualistic theory “glosses over gaps in the fossil record,” he accuses.
Gradualism: Gradual change does not occur: “evolution is not necessarily gradual but often sudden, dramatic expressions of change.”
Resistance to change: “Why don’t cells subtly and constantly change in small ways over time, as Darwin suggests? Cell biologists know the answer: Cells don’t like to change and don’t do so easily.”
Quality Control: “Cells in their ordinary states have suites of molecules—various kinds of proteins—whose jobs are to eliminate error that might get introduced and derail the functioning of their cell. For instance, some proteins work to keep the cell membrane intact. Other proteins act as chaperones, bringing molecules to their proper locations in the cell, and so on. In short, with that kind of protection from change, it is very difficult for mutations, of whatever kind, to gain a foothold.”
Improbability: Mutations “may be significant and beneficial (like teeth or limbs) or, more likely, kill the organism.”
Disequilibrium: “This revelation has enormous implications for the notion that organisms routinely change to adapt to the environment. Actually, Schwartz argues, it is the environment that knocks them off their equilibrium and as likely ultimately kills them as changes them. And so they are being rocked by the environment, not adapting to it.”
With statements like this, that seem to echo those of creationists, what is Schwartz proposing in the place of standard neo-Darwinism? It’s called the “Sudden Origins Theory.” That sounds like creationism, too. It’s not. It is repackaged evolutionary theory, just as unguided and naturalistic as the old, but now it puts more emphasis on the environment as the instigator of adaptive change. Aided by colleague Ian Tattersall, Schwarz wrote a book on this six years ago, Sudden Origins: Fossils, Genes, and the Emergence of Species (John Wiley & Sons, 2000), that the press release summarizes:
The mechanism, the authors explain, is this: Environmental upheaval causes genes to mutate, and those altered genes remain in a recessive state, spreading silently through the population until offspring appear with two copies of the new mutation and change suddenly, seemingly appearing out of thin air.
Because cells resist change and correct their errors, defeating gradualism, Schwarz and Tattersall looked for other ways to make mutations stick. The environment became the stressor to knock organisms out of kilter and plant the germs of creative change into their genes, in a recessive state. There, the ones that don’t kill the organism await the next opportunity to bloom. These recessive mutations amount to a sort of toolkit for evolution to tinker with, not knowing what they are good for until a need arises in the environment.
Why is this six-year-old proposal getting press now? Schwarz just co-authored a paper with Bruno Maresca, appearing in the Jan. 30 New Anatomist Journal, that they claim supports the new theory, based on some “emerging understanding of cell structure” that was left unspecified in the press release.
One implication of Schwarz’s theory is that today’s organisms are loaded with mutations from previous environmental stresses. It is too late, therefore, to try to make a quick fix to the environment. “The Sudden Origins theory, buttressed by modern cell biology,” he said, “underscores the need to preserve the environment—not only to enhance life today, but to protect life generations from now.”
So he ends with a flourish, giving a little politically correct environmentalist spin to help legitimize his rhetoric and distract attention from his crazy idea. This is rich. Schwartz and Tattersall have just corroborated all the criticisms creationists bring against neo-Darwinism: mutations are generally harmful, cells are intricately designed to resist change, and the fossil record, riddled with real gaps, debunks gradualism. Thank you, Dr. Schwarz, for helping shovel standard evolutionary theory into the dustbin of history.
But is his replacement any better? All he has done is transfer the creative power of evolution from one undirected, natural cause (gradual natural selection) to another undirected, natural cause (the environment and sudden natural selection). Has he shown that the pool of recessive mutated genes has any more creative power to generate wings and eyes than the old gradualism? Has he explained how fully-formed, functioning complex organs, like teeth or limbs, could burst on the scene, as if from nowhere? This is not science, this is magic. The new evolutionists have become illusionists, producing rabbits out of thin air.

aharvey

Lynn73 said:
Whatever floats your boat. Did I say I was ignorant, I can't remember.
See Jukia's post. In addition, you didn't answer this question I'd asked you earlier: What would you think of someone who gets their understanding of the Bible entirely from explicitly atheist, anti-Christian web sites?. Would you, Lynn, expect such a person to be well-informed or ignorant about Christianity?

Jukia

bob b said:
The latest from creationsafaris, by way of the "hypocrite".

See the last paragraph of bob b's cite. The new evolutionists are doing magic, not science. Interesting concept. But do any of these creationists have the nerve to deal directly with Dr. Schwartz? My guess is not.
Why not track him down and see if he really agrees with the creationsafaris take on his work? Maybe because he will laugh?
Well, I really do not expect them to do that do I. None of the "beer can manganese" people contacted Dr. Hein or Yates did they. Nope. Left it to the evil evolutionist to track down Hein to get his input to the specific claims made by the good Pastor Enyart.