The Fossil Record

aharvey

bob b said:
"Shoot the Messenger" Tactic. :)

Plus "Authority" to boot.
Then you add this one to boot?!?! Let me repeat from my previous post: The concept of the limitations of one's knowledge and that of 'experts' was the subject of the entire discussion! Talking about the knowledge of experts is not engaging in the fallacy of Authority. The fallacy of authority is when you dismiss your opponent's argument with, say, some disparaging remark about how you used to think that way before you became an authority on the subject. Care for me to provide a link to one of your posts as an example?

Double "for crying out loud," bob!

noguru

aharvey said:
Then you add this one to boot?!?! Let me repeat from my previous post: The concept of the limitations of one's knowledge and that of 'experts' was the subject of the entire discussion! Talking about the knowledge of experts is not engaging in the fallacy of Authority. The fallacy of authority is when you dismiss your opponent's argument with, say, some disparaging remark about how you used to think that way before you became an authority on the subject. Care for me to provide a link to one of your posts as an example?

Double "for crying out loud," bob!

Yes, it quite all right when Bob claims that his beaurocratic experience in aerospace systems engineering qualifies him to make proclamations contrary to what most biologist think. But when you claim expertise in, well your field of expertise, you are relying on authority. Oh the irony, expecially coming from someone who claims that his interpretation of Genesis is authoritative. Methinks Bob is quite delusional. :D

thelaqachisnext

BANNED
Banned
aharvey said:
The $64,000 question is why you are so darn convinced of your own intellectual prowess that you understand exactly what he said.
Duh!
He said it so plainly that any five year year old can understand it; He does say tht out of the mouth of babes and sucklings He has perfected praise -sorry about those who consider themselves so 'educated' they can't believe His Word just as it stands.

That's unfortunately a definitional statement; if you presuppose that both the Bible and your interpretation of the Bible are inerrant, then of course definition no evidence could possibly contradict your interpretation of Scripture, and anything that appears to do so must somehow be wrong. I've never quite understood, though, why one's interpretation of Scripture is never considered a possible source of the spurious contradiction...
It isn't an interpretation at all to just believe what is so plainly written -and you know it, I'm sure, or you are a fool -scripturally speaking, of course :)

I'm always puzzled that y'all think it's a virtue that learning more about something should never change your mind about it. Then what is the point of learning more?
Learning more of anything -virtuous and good and truthful- is to learn more about God's truth and marvels -which I consider a pleasure

Yikes. I've never considered myself an environmental activist, but I confess to wincing when people knowingly risk endangering entire species because it might inconvenience their own selfish personal short-term construction plans. I'm sure God'll be proud ("Yeah, I made that slug as kind of a joke anyways").
Sorry, but we take our rights to have dominion pretty seriously around here and don't cotton to outsiders who think that the God who created all things and gave dominion over this planet to man (Adam and ben Adam) and who destroyed every single thing in the global flood that had the breath of life but those that were on the ark; and yet repopulated and reseeded this earth, cannot keep it in His own way for all time.
-He is going to destroy the creation one more time, by fire, you know -or don't you? and regenerate all animal kinds as they were in the beginning for the redeemed human sons of God -those adopted in Christ- to dwell on forever, after the thousand year Sabbath Rest of it is ended.

Like I said, you're more likely to have a new invasive species that will overrun your place thanks to your "keeping to yourself." But what's most likely is that this slug, if it even is a slug, is already known to science, just not to you.
-of course its a slug! -and we have ways, around here, called vigilante law :)
-then they are keeping their 'knowing' pretty secret, are they not? -BTW, science is not an entity, not a person, not a living being, not anything but a body of information that changes continously: God's word does not change

And then to try to rationalize it in terms of protecting your poor widdle vanishing constitutional rights ... Pathetic.
I believe in the constitutional rights of every citizen -sorry about you, and I don't believe it is a 'living, changing, document'.

No such book exists, I'm afraid. It would be extraordinarily thick and technical well beyond your interest.
-and the book I have is supposed to cover all flora and fauna of the Pacific Northwest, published by the university of Washington.
I doubt you'd understand at all what my interests are -have you read through the Bible front to back and more than once, BTW?

But all you've demonstrated is how little you know, not the experts. Don't you see the irony?
Tut! Tut! -I admitted up front that I know very little: but I did confess that I do know the Creator personally and I do look forward to learning, forever, of His marvelous creation.

Last edited:

aharvey

thelaqachisnext said:
Duh!
He said it so plainly that any five year year old can understand it; He does say tht out of the mouth of babes and sucklings He has perfected praise -sorry about those who consider themselves so 'educated' they can't believe His Word just as it stands.
Gee, then why is it so hard for Christians to agree amongst themselves on how it should be interpreted? Indeed, I’m inclined to agree that it is straightforward, and am baffled that folks interpret text that is clearly symbolic/poetic/allegorical in tone as a literal history.
thelaqachisnext said:
It isn't an interpretation at all to just believe what is so plainly written -and you know it, I'm sure, or you are a fool -scripturally speaking, of course
See above. Very few people read the Bible and interpret it the same way, unless of course they choose to take someone else’s word for it.
thelaqachisnext said:
Learning more of anything -virtuous and good and truthful- is to learn more about God's truth and marvels -which I consider a pleasure
I’m glad you think so, but that's not really my point. Why do you think it’s a bad thing for learning more to change the way you think about something?
thelaqachisnext said:
Sorry, but we take our rights to have dominion pretty seriously around here and don't cotton to outsiders who think that the God who created all things and gave dominion over this planet to man (Adam and ben Adam) and who destroyed every single thing in the global flood that had the breath of life but those that were on the ark; and yet repopulated and reseeded this earth, cannot keep it in His own way for all time.
Um, so the passenger pigeon is not really extinct, or it never existed?

And let's be honest: you wouldn't cotton to an "insider" who disagreed with your views on why it's okay to plunder God's creation either, would you?
thelaqachisnext said:
-He is going to destroy the creation one more time, by fire, you know -or don't you? and regenerate all animal kinds as they were in the beginning for the redeemed human sons of God -those adopted in Christ- to dwell on forever, after the thousand year Sabbath Rest of it is ended.
Well that does make things easy for you: why worry about protecting what we’ve got now, given that God is going to burn it all to a crisp one day anyways!
thelaqachisnext said:
-of course its a slug!
I've heard a lot of descriptions of critters from non-biologists that have the same tone as yours, and they quite often turn out to be something very different from what the person thought they had, so you'll pardon me if I don't just take your word for it.
thelaqachisnext said:
-and we have ways, around here, called vigilante law
Ya gonna lynch all them thar varmints?
thelaqachisnext said:
-then they are keeping their 'knowing' pretty secret, are they not?
How do you figure? Just because you haven’t found its name? You’ve made it pretty clear that learning out about this stuff is not your thing. I’ll bet there are tons of plants and animals in your area that you know nothing about, but that hardly means they are unknown to science!
thelaqachisnext said:
-BTW, science is not an entity, not a person, not a living being, not anything but a body of information that changes continously: God's word does not change
…and your point is…?
thelaqachisnext said:
I believe in the constitutional rights of every citizen -sorry about you, and I don't believe it is a 'living, changing, document'.
What I don’t believe is hiding behind the constitution as long as it doesn’t inconvenience you.
thelaqachisnext said:
-and the book I have is supposed to cover all flora and fauna of the Pacific Northwest, published by the university of Washington.
And I’m telling you that you are misunderstanding the book’s intent. No book exists that covers every single species of plant and animal found in the Pacific Northwest. I don’t suppose you care to provide the title of this book?
thelaqachisnext said:
I doubt you'd understand at all what my interests are -have you read through the Bible front to back and more than once, BTW?
Does the first sentence have anything to do with the second? You have given me a sense about your interests and attitudes, but I’d hardly claim to be an expert! And yes, I’ve read the Bible cover to cover many times over my life. That’s why I find Biblical wooden literalists to be a strange and kinda sorry bunch. Y’all seemed to have drawn some pretty extreme conclusions before reading the Book.
thelaqachisnext said:
Tut! Tut! -I admitted up front that I know very little: but I did confess that I do know the Creator personally and I do look forward to learning, forever, of His marvelous creation.
No need to tut tut me. I guess you missed the irony. Ah well.

thelaqachisnext

BANNED
Banned
aharvey said:
Gee, then why is it so hard for Christians to agree amongst themselves on how it should be interpreted? Indeed, I’m inclined to agree that it is straightforward, and am baffled that folks interpret text that is clearly symbolic/poetic/allegorical in tone as a literal history....See above. Very few people read the Bible and interpret it the same way, unless of course they choose to take someone else’s word for it.

Anyone who gives a private interpretation is clearly defiant of the Word, itself, which says that no prophecy of the Scriptures is of any private interpretation. The Word, itself, interprets the Word. Isolation of a text from the whole leads to distortions and confusions. The Scriptures are one Book, with one story, from Genesis to Revelation. The creation; the fall of angels and man; the redemption of man; the judgment of angels and man; and the regeneration of the heavens and the earth: and who, what, when where and why is the theme running throughout the Book.

aharvey said:
I’m glad you think so, but that's not really my point. Why do you think it’s a bad thing for learning more to change the way you think about something?
I know only instinct (the wisdom put in my heart by the Creator) and nothing about how to think about anything other than the natural instincts, if I have not read -and FYI, I'm a compulsive reader, so reading boring things was a compulsion from my earliest days (which I have tried to break myself of by being more discerning in my reading and accountable with my time), and have found no wisdom in man's writings that can disprove what the Word of God has told me.

The point on science being nothing but a body of changing beliefs by fallible men and not an entity, a being..., is that if you put your trust in 'science' then you have put your trust in something that really does not exist as a thing that can defend itself or be truth in and of itself. There is not one body of writing -that is written by man- in any science that is not disputed by another man in that science; all boils down to opinions that keep on changing. God's Word does not change and has never and can never be disproven. And God has not hidden in His Word, deceitfully or craftily, things that refute the open plain statements about His creation. He did it the way He said He did it and He did it in six ordinary (almost) twenty four hour days as we know them; and the evidences of the global one time flood are worldwide for anyone to see; but scoffers are willfully ignorant of the evidences and the truth of His Word.

aharvey said:
Um, so the passenger pigeon is not really extinct, or it never existed?
pigeons exist and did exist. Pigeons are not extinct; therefore, passenger pigeons can also branch off the mainline at any time -again. Variety in the kinds is a flowing thing. it happens, and can happen again and probably happened in the past. Genetic information is not lost after all, apparently; according to the discovery of a -flax plant, I think it was- that had reverted back to the parent stock after many generations though it was genetically modified. the discovery totally astounded the 'scientific' community -that was aware of it, last year. Passenger is a modern name. The same could have existed before as a branch and can exist again -if it is important to the Creator, He'll regenerate 'passenger' in the regeneration of the earth.

aharvey said:
And let's be honest: you wouldn't cotton to an "insider" who disagreed with your views on why it's okay to plunder God's creation either, would you?
Define plunder. Do you mean using the earth, as God gave it to us to use? Man is the king and the caretaker of the earth; but the earth is created for man's benefit, not for the benefit of the earth, itself. And there is nothing new under the sun. It has all been done before. plants grow all by themselves according to the command given in the beginning, and animals reproduce according to the command given them in the beginning and all for the 'king'; 'Adam and ben Adam'.

aharvey said:
Well that does make things easy for you: why worry about protecting what we’ve got now, given that God is going to burn it all to a crisp one day anyways!
God will burn, melt, regenerate the planet -and the heavens- in His time. He is LORD and not I. and He gave us this planet to have dominion over (but Jesus came and bought it back, cause our first father sold it), and we are to occupy till He comes.

aharvey said:
I've heard a lot of descriptions of critters from non-biologists that have the same tone as yours, and they quite often turn out to be something very different from what the person thought they had, so you'll pardon me if I don't just take your word for it.
You don't have to take my word for anything, for then I would be greater than God, in your eyes, as the non-existing entity called 'science', is to you, now.

aharvey said:
Ya gonna lynch all them thar varmints?
Actually, I put a bounty on them; grandkids get a penny a slug. I consider them very much a part of the curse -or out of their place because of the curse.

aharvey said:
How do you figure? Just because you haven’t found its name? You’ve made it pretty clear that learning out about this stuff is not your thing. I’ll bet there are tons of plants and animals in your area that you know nothing about, but that hardly means they are unknown to science!
My point was exactly that no one knows it all -if you go back and re-read what I wrote, you'll see that was the conclusion that I've come to; there are few 'masters'.

aharvey said:
And I’m telling you that you are misunderstanding the book’s intent. No book exists that covers every single species of plant and animal found in the Pacific Northwest. I don’t suppose you care to provide the title of this book?
The actual title of the -falling apart- book on my shelf is, 'Plants and Animals of the Pacific Northwest' -it is funny, though; I only think of it as 'Flora and Fauna...' and it was printed by the U of W Press. I've had it so long that I related it to the U of W, only. I used to live near the U of W Arboreatum and loved to visit daily -and hubby and I came to the Pacific Northwest because he planned to attend their School of Forestry, originally, but he got sidetracked by a new program offered at a local college in undersea technology, and went there instead -I digress..

aharvey said:
Does the first sentence have anything to do with the second? You have given me a sense about your interests and attitudes, but I’d hardly claim to be an expert! And yes, I’ve read the Bible cover to cover many times over my life. That’s why I find Biblical wooden literalists to be a strange and kinda sorry bunch. Y’all seemed to have drawn some pretty extreme conclusions before reading the Book.

Obviously, I am completely fundamentalist in my approach to the Word of God and to the constitution. God will defend His Word; but he put in the power of the 'people' of this nation the authority to defend the constitution -and if we do not, we have no one to blame but ourselves: unfortunately, as long as the wicked are in this world there is war against God and man.
I didn't read the book before I met the Author in such a conversion experience (I was a rebel before) that I would never have dared to believe that He could deceive or lie: I met Him as the Holy Creator of me, and the one most life changing experience of that meeting was the absolute knowing that He is Holy. I was taught evolution in school and thought that somehow (mysteriously, as it was never explained) it blended with the Creation; but after taking up the Word of my New LORD, and reading it, I was confronted with the absolute straightforwardness of His declarations and was asked, personally, what I would believe, 'now'; by that still small voice spoken in a sentence to me that only I heard. It was a moment of truth and I thought about it and said to Him that I would believe His Word, no matter what I did not understand, just as He said it. Amaxingly, He then began to bring into my path all manner of proofs of the creation, evidences that it was just as as He said it, that had been repressed in the government schools that I was brainwashed in.
My own children's brains were then washed with the pure water of the Word and given the abundant evidences of Creation to show them that God is not a man and does not lie.

On reading the Bible; how is it that you approach it, then? -as the Word of God or the words of man?

aharvey said:
No need to tut tut me. I guess you missed the irony. Ah well.
I guess I did, for I had not claimed to know everything about anything, and had said that I know little; but one thing I do know is that there is not any man who knows everything about anything, either.

I don't know what a wooden literalist is. I am fundamentalist in believing God said it and meant it. He gives us His plan in the oracles given to the Jews and explains them in those oracles; but many miss the message, as there is a dual meaning in all that He gave in the oracles; but they are there to learn for anyone who is interested.

I hope you have enjoyed my own opinions in replying to yours. Now; shall we get back to the theme of the thread?

Last edited:

noguru

thelaqachisnext said:
Anyone who gives a private interpretation is clearly defiant of the Word, itself, which says that no prophecy of the Scriptures is of any private interpretation. The Word, itself, interprets the Word. Isolation of a text from the whole leads to distortions and confusions. The Scriptures are one Book, with one story, from Genesis to Revelation. The creation; the fall of angels and man; the redemption of man; the judgment of angels and man; and the regeneration of the heavens and the earth: and who, what, when where and why is the theme running throughout the Book.

If this is true in the way that you claim, then human interpretation is not neccesary to determine its meaning. IOW, the bible can be represented as an algorithm and the results can be obtained by simply following this algorithm.

Is this what you are saying?

Or is it actually that only your interpretation qualifies as "non-private"?

Can you please define "non-private"?

thelaqachisnext

BANNED
Banned
noguru said:
If this is true in the way that you claim, then human interpretation is not neccesary to determine its meaning. IOW, the bible can be represented as an algorithm and the results can be obtained by simply following this algorithm.

Is this what you are saying?

Or is it actually that only your interpretation qualifies as "non-private"?

Can you please define "non-private"?
'private' is idios, of oneself, and the next verse (2 Peter 1:20), says the prophecies came of the Holy Spirit, not of men, and men cannot give private interpretations to them, as the Holy spirit, Himself, gives understanding from the Word, of the Word, and anyone who brings an interpretation outside of the Word that contradicts the Word in any place is giving 'private' interpretations.

We are told to "be diligent to study, showing ourselves approved unto God, workmen that do not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of truth: and 'rightly dividing' is to lay it out like a plowman plows, row by row, comparing Scripture to Scripture -so I have read, anyway: and that says it all; within the Scriptures we find all doctrine and all doctrine is supported with Scripture, not anything outside Scripture.
That's a layman's definition for you, from me; and we are all supposed to be Bereans, proving all things by Scripture that anyone claims is Bible doctrine. Jesus Christ is the Living Word of God made flesh, and God honors His Word above all His name; so we would be wise to prove all things by the Word and discard anything that cannot be proven by Scripture, plainly.

Psa 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.