The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Freak
When did you lose your Salvation? Was it during dinner?
Yeah, with an exorcist. All that pea soup... :vomit:

Seriously, I've told my "anti-testimony" story half a dozen times... do try to keep up, Jay.

Freak

Originally posted by Zakath
I've told my "anti-testimony" story half a dozen times...

Well, did you lose your salvation during dinner, while walking the dog, while driving???

Zakath

Resident Atheist
It was a gradual process, not an epiphanic experience, if that's what you're searching for... :)

Freak

It was a gradual process, not an epiphanic experience, if that's what you're searching for... :)

:confused: "Gradual process" so you lost your salvation bit by bit?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
No, I woke up to reality gradually. Some wake up all at once and I woke up over a period of time...

Freak

No, I woke up to reality gradually. Some wake up all at once and I woke up over a period of time...

That didn't answer my question. But oh well, you tried :rolleyes:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
That didn't answer my question. But oh well, you tried :rolleyes:

I'll use small words so it will be easier for you to understand... :rolleyes:

I gradually came to realize that there was no such thing as God.:doh:

How's that? Simple enough for you? :thumb:

Freak

I'll use small words so it will be easier for you to understand... :rolleyes:

I gradually came to realize that there was no such thing as God.:doh:

How's that? Simple enough for you? :thumb:

And that took years to realize? Again, when did you lose your salvation? You said you did so when did you?

Shaun

Zakath: The "No True Scotsman" fallacy is a highly overused, misunderstood fallacy.

If you were not a Christian by His decision, then you were not a Christian. Being a Christian is determined not by us, but by His grace.

Aimiel

Originally posted by Zakath I gradually came to realize that there was no such thing as God.
Zak,

I've told you, repeatedly, you can't come to God without faith and find Him. You first have to believe that He IS, and then you have to diligently seek Him. Sounds like you (somewhat) diligently sought Him, and then decided to continue to NOT believe that He exists. Remember, the fool has said, in his heart, "There is no God." :doh:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
And that took years to realize?
No, it took me years to accept, since it violated some things I was strongly supportive of...

[quoteAgain, when did you lose your salvation? You said you did so when did you? [/QUOTE]I cannot provide a specific date or hour for my deconversion any more than many people could tell the date and hour of their conversion.

Why is it so important to you to know this?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Shaun
Zakath: The "No True Scotsman" fallacy is a highly overused, misunderstood fallacy.
Yes, but not by me. :)

If you were not a Christian by His decision, then you were not a Christian. Being a Christian is determined not by us, but by His grace.
If I was not a Christian, then the entire discussion is pointless. The problem that afflicts certain fundamentalist Christians is their mistaken belief that once a person has experienced metanoia that they cannot experience a reversal.

There is ample evidence to prove that reversals of faith to faithlessness do take place. Otherwise the Christian doctrine of free will is meaningless.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by famousGandalf7
Zak,

I've told you, repeatedly, you can't come to God without faith and find Him...

How do you reconcile the human's requirement with Jesus' teaching that God must draw a human to himself... "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him..." Jn 6:44

Paul taught in Romans 12:3 that God gives men faith.

This would appear to be not something that humans do, but something that God does in humans.

Unless of course, there is a contradiction.

But perhaps the gift was removed?

Perhps the gifter doesn't exist, except in my own mind...

You have no way of telling except for your subjective experience which cannot be demonstrated for anyone else.

Aimiel

Zakath will Never Come to God Except He Believes

Zakath will Never Come to God Except He Believes

Originally posted by Zakath How do you reconcile the human's requirement with Jesus' teaching that God must draw a human to himself... "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him..." Jn 6:44
God will not force anyone to believe, whether or not they respond to His drawing is up to them.
Paul taught in Romans 12:3 that God gives men faith.
Each one gets 'the measure,' but what they do with it is different, with each individual.
This would appear to be not something that humans do, but something that God does in humans.
He designed the whole shootin'-match.
Unless of course, there is a contradiction.
Heaven forbid, God can NOT lie.
But perhaps the gift was removed?
God doesn't work like that.
Perhps the gifter doesn't exist, except in my own mind...
Perhaps you're being foolish now.
You have no way of telling except for your subjective experience which cannot be demonstrated for anyone else.
You have not given yourself a fair shake, denying the existence of God is foolish. You are being unfair to your own self, and that is the height of foolishness.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Re: Zakath will Never Come to God Except He Believes

And why do you believe that?

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
He's even stronger than a lie.

He's even stronger than a lie.

I believe God could lie, if He wanted to.

Aimiel

If He said something which were un-true, it would become Truth with His Word.

For instance: "Lazarus is asleep," and "Let there be light." Neither one of those were true, but became Truth.

Zakath

Resident Atheist

God will not force anyone to believe, whether or not they respond to His drawing is up to them.
You are talking about the same deity that "hardens the hearts" of men so they can be victims of his wrath, right?

That depends entirely on what you define as a lie now, doesn't it?