The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
I saw a statistic that claimed DNA could produce different species to the order of 1 with a million zeros. DNA only has 4 chemical components. Amazing!

That was 1 with A MILLION ZEROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RogerB

So you are implying that anyone who claims to hear from God is mentally ill?

Do you REALLY think that's what I was implying? REALLY? I simply responded to your stupid question with the response it deserved.

Zakath, :king: of Schlock

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by RogerB
Do you REALLY think that's what I was implying? REALLY? I simply responded to your stupid question with the response it deserved.
But this evasive answer hasn't denied that was what you were implying yet, has it? ;)

Z Man

Atheists are like vampires: but instead of desiring people's blood, they hunger after people's hope....

Zakath

Resident Atheist
People's hope is their own affair.

All atheists say is that deities don't exist.

All we ask here is that someone prove they do.

I've been posting here for almost three years and not a single religionist of any stripe has been able to demonstrate the unambiguous reality of their deity.

I'm beginning to wonder if such thing is at all possible... :think:

Z Man

Originally posted by Zakath
I've been posting here for almost three years and not a single religionist of any stripe has been able to demonstrate the unambiguous reality of their deity.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." - Anonymous

Zakath,
Many christians here have led you and shown you the door, but we can't force you through; you have to open it yourself....

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Z Man
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." - Anonymous
Particularly when the "pond" is a mirage.

Zakath,
Many christians here have led you and shown you the door, but we can't force you through; you have to open it yourself....
The alleged "door" opens only to their own imaginations, it appears that nothing tangible of the deity exists outside the minds of its worshippers.

Z Man

Particularly when the "pond" is a mirage.
Well, you can't keep asking us Christians for proof. We led you to the pond and all you can do is stare at it and deny it exists by stating, "It's a mirage"?!?! That's just plain and blatant denial on your part. You'll never know until you drink from it.....
The alleged "door" opens only to their own imaginations, it appears that nothing tangible of the deity exists outside the minds of its worshippers.
You can't speculate what's inside your door by looking at everyone elses'. Open your own door Zakath... You are counting your chickens before they hatch by saying there is nothing inside. How do you know? You haven't opened it yet!

You expect people to believe that all of this is false when we have opened our doors and have drank from the ever living fountain of God and have seen and tasted that which is real? How can you deny what we have witnessed? You ask for proof and I say, "Open your door and drink from the fountain we have presented to you. Only then will you know He is real..."

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Well, you can't keep asking us Christians for proof. We led you to the pond and all you can do is stare at it and deny it exists by stating, "It's a mirage"?!?! That's just plain and blatant denial on your part. You'll never know until you drink from it.....
I keep telling you people. The only water in the pond is in your own heads... (Deliberately avoiding comments about believers and water on the brain... ;) )

You can't speculate what's inside your door by looking at everyone elses'. Open your own door Zakath... You are counting your chickens before they hatch by saying there is nothing inside. How do you know? You haven't opened it yet!
Been there, done that. I knocked for years and no one was home.

You expect people to believe that all of this is false when we have opened our doors and have drank from the ever living fountain of God and have seen and tasted that which is real? How can you deny what we have witnessed?

You expect little kids to believe that Santa Claus is false when they have opened their very real presents and tasted from the heady joys of Christmas morning? How can you deny what they have witnessed?

Yet we do deny such things... :think:

prodigalson

Man - Show me God and I'll believe.

God - Believe and I'll show you.

That's pretty much it, but even if a person has proof, they will explain it away. That's just how they do it.

You want proof, look at creation, it's unreal, the sun, the stars, other planets, look at men and women(especially women) and see how perfect they are created, look at the things below the surface, how things work in harmony. Look at an Michael Jordan, that talent can only be God given, listen to Jimi Hendrix, that talent can only be God given. But instead of seeing a Creator, atheists see a 1,000,000,000 to 1 shot. If you are going to put your faith in a long shot like that, God would pretty much have to stand in front of you for you to believe.

I didn't believe in God but when my friend would witness to me he just said pray that God will reveal himself to you. I did b/c if he is God and died for me, he will answer that prayer right? Only the truth will come from that so it's a win-win situation.

Z Man

Good point Prodigalson. :thumb:

You'll just have to excuse Zakath. It seems he's still angry at the realization that Santa Clause doesn't exist. :chuckle:
I keep telling you people. The only water in the pond is in your own heads... (Deliberately avoiding comments about believers and water on the brain... ;) )
Zakaths' new saying - "You can lead a horse to water, but when he looks at it, he'll think, "I'm not drinking that; it's not real".

You know what happens to the horse if he doesn't drink because he thinks it's not real; he dies of thirst....
Been there, done that. I knocked for years and no one was home.
That's your problem; you were waiting for God to open the door...
You expect little kids to believe that Santa Claus is false when they have opened their very real presents and tasted from the heady joys of Christmas morning? How can you deny what they have witnessed?

Yet we do deny such things... :think:
You still haven't gotten over the fact that Santa doesn't exist, have you? That's really sad... And you're a psychyotrist?!?! :crackup:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by prodigalson
Man - Show me God and I'll believe.

God - Believe and I'll show you.

That's pretty much it, but even if a person has proof, they will explain it away. That's just how they do it.
Interesting point. What you are describing is "rationalization" and people on both sides of the aisle (believers and non-believers) do it all the time.

Listen to any fundy Christian discuss another religion and you'll essentially hear similar arguments that atheists use to question Christianity.

You want proof, look at...(deleted list)
All you are doing is attributing things you don't understand the mechanisms for to a deity. It's a free country so go right ahead; but remember that only a few hundred years ago people like you were attributing malaria to bad air and congenital birth defects to witches' curses. As we learn more about the universe, there is less and less that is the providence of the divine and more and more that is rationally explainable. The deity's turf gets smaller every generation...

I didn't believe in God but when my friend would witness to me he just said pray that God will reveal himself to you.
When I was a Christian, I used to say similar things, but time and experience have shown me I was incorrect.

I did b/c if he is God and died for me, he will answer that prayer right?
That's a big "if". In my case, there was no answer other than my own imagination - for over three decades.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Good point Prodigalson. :thumb:
Only to another religionist... :down:

You'll just have to excuse Zakath. It seems he's still angry at the realization that Santa Clause doesn't exist.
Hardly, merely drawing an analogy. Interesting that the only way you choose to address it is by ad hominem. Perhaps that's because you can't address the difference between a child's belief in Santa Claus and your belief in your deity... :think:

That's your problem; you were waiting for God to open the door...

I was merely following the scriptural instruction by Jesus of Nazareth: "...knock and the door will be opened to you." Mt. 7:7

As nearly as I read that it doesn't say, knock and kick in the door... ;)

... And you're a psychyotrist?!?!
No, I'm a psychologist. :D (And the word you're trying to spell is "psychiatrist")

Freak

Zakath reveals:

"When I was a Christian, I used to say similar things, but time and experience have shown me I was incorrect."

When did you lose your Salvation? Was it during dinner?