The earth is flat and we never went to the moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel1769

My favorite flat earther rebuttal to the center of gravity problem is their contention that the earth (and the sun and the moon and the whole rest of the solar system, etc) is simply accelerating at 1g in a direction perfectly perpendicular to the surface of the flat Earth.

The problem (well, one of dozens of problems) with such an idea is that it would only take the flat Earth 353.7 days to reach the speed of light at such a rate of acceleration.

Those pesky laws of physics just keep getting in the way. Eventually, you've gotta just give up on finding new rescue devices and accept the verdict of the overwhelming evidence.

Most flat earth models do not account for gravity. Gravity is instead attributed to density and buoyancy. Objects less dense than the medium in which they are positioned will rise while more dense objects will fall.

Daniel1769

That's all good. But the math involved in flight plans adjusts for curvature of the Earth.....and is obviously right or else airliner Jets would ALWAYS be early

If flight plans were adjusted for the curvature of the earth, the plane would need to constantly descend to follow the curvature of the earth and not fly straight out into space. Why planes aren't constantly descending to follow the curvature is an anomaly.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Most flat earth models do not account for gravity. Gravity is instead attributed to density and buoyancy. Objects less dense than the medium in which they are positioned will rise while more dense objects will fall.

There is more than one flat earth website that puts forward this 1g acceleration "solution" to the gravity problem. Look up "gravity problem flat earth" on google. One of the top results will be a flat earth wiki article and there are several others, including the video I have at the bottom of my first post on this thread.

Daniel1769

There is more than one flat earth website that puts forward this 1g acceleration "solution" to the gravity problem. Look up "gravity problem flat earth" on google. One of the top results will be a flat earth wiki article and there are several others, including the video I have at the bottom of my first post on this thread.

I read Eric Dubay's book and he attributed to density and buoyancy. I've heard others do that too. If other people have stupid explanations, fine. That doesn't discount the issues that Dubay raises in his book, most of which have been raised by other researchers for a long time.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And here I thought only evolutionists were flat earthers. The Flat Earth Society is a strong evolutionist and agnostic/ atheist.
I thought FE'er were religious zealots. I spent this afternoon browsing their main forum. Most modern FE'ers are not religious, but rather they are that breed of person that falls for conspiracy theories.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's not "a little time", and it is not a lie. I explained earlier why I won't spend the time on this- but you ignored that. Give us a reason to watch these- besides your own say-so.

The Biblical cosmology is "literally" a flat earth.

I was as skeptical as anyone else until I decide just to take a look at some of these videos.

I think many will be as surprised as I was at how good the evidence is for flat earth.

I had no idea that any body here would be so timid and resistant to just take a look.

--Dave

Daniel1769

The Biblical cosmology is "literally" a flat earth.

I was as skeptical as anyone else until I decide just to take a look at some of these videos.

I think many will be as surprised as I was at how good the evidence is for flat earth.

I had no idea that any body here would be so timid and resistant to just take a look.

--Dave
The Bible is clear that the earth is the stationary center of the universe. It seems there are a lot of Biblical litteralists out there...except for on this issue.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
If flight plans were adjusted for the curvature of the earth, the plane would need to constantly descend to follow the curvature of the earth and not fly straight out into space. Why planes aren't constantly descending to follow the curvature is an anomaly.

They are constantly "descending". It's no anomaly at all. The altimeter is based on the distance in elevation from sea level which will, with a constant reading, cause the plane to continuously adjust for the curvature of the earth.

It's the distances the planes fly that is the proof of the curvature. If it were a flat trajectory, the distances would be shorter than they are.

In addition to this, the airlines must all be contributing to the conspiracy by spending millions of extra dollars on fuel by cleverly flying courses along the flat earth that look exactly like orthodromic courses that one would expect an airliner to fly around a globe.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I read Eric Dubay's book and he attributed to density and buoyancy. I've heard others do that too. If other people have stupid explanations, fine. That doesn't discount the issues that Dubay raises in his book, most of which have been raised by other researchers for a long time.
I never suggested it was the only stupidity that flat earthers come up with. I said it was my favoite.

Poe's Law

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And every point you made is easily refuted by the presentations in the videos. But then you will never know that because you will not take the risk of refutation because you will not even consider the arguments from the side.

--Dave

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Just what is it that is pushing everything down to the Earth, according to Eric?

What does he say causes buoyancy if not gravity?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
And every point you made is easily refuted by the presentations in the videos. But then you will never know that because you will not take the risk of refutation because you will not even consider the arguments from the side.

--Dave

Make the argument, Dave.

Make some sort of argument. This is a debate forum, not a "Hey! Go check out this video that makes an argument." forum.

You don't have to recreate the whole video in text format. Just pick something and make the argument.

Poe's Law

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This thread is a cool example of Poe's Law! I love it!

There are many evidences that the earth is in fact round - spherical in fact.

On a flat Earth, the constellations seen from North America would be the same ones seen from South America. They are not the same. Therefore the Earth is not flat.
A more specific version of the same argument is that the so-called "North Star" wouldn't be the "North Star" is would be the "Center Star" and there would be no such thing as the south celestial pole. Polaris and Sigma Octantis (the closest naked-eye star to the south celestial pole) are not the same thing.
Also, the Moon is not visible from the whole Earth at once and the tides that the Moon and Sun create happen in the predictable way they do because the Earth is round and not flat.
There are, in fact, dozens, perhaps hundreds of astronomical observations of a similar nature that could only occur if the Earth were spherical.

The Sun, Mercury, Venus, our Moon, Mars, several asteroids, Jupiter, Jupiter's Moons, Saturn, Saturn's Moons, Uranus, Uranus' Moons, Neptune, Neptune's Moon, Several "Centaurs" (Minor planets) including Pluto and it's moon ARE ALL SPHERES!!!! But the Earth is flat? Give me a break!

The shadows cast by sticks or buildings or flag poles or whatever are different for different latitudes. Given the distance of the Sun, this would not be so on a flat Earth. And if you wanted to say that the Sun was close enough to the Earth that objects closer to the edge of the flat Earth cast longer shadows, then it still doesn't work because the shadows that are actually cast bare no resemblence whatsoever to such a scenerio. The shadows cast on the Earth are precisely what they should be if the Earth was a sphere. In fact, this shadow discrepancy was how the circumferance of the Earth was first calculated and with surprising accuracy given the technology at the time the measurement was performed.

As has already been pointed out in this thread, you can see further from a higher perspective. This would not occur on a flat Earth. No telescope, no matter how powerful, can see past the horizon but the horizon gets measurably further away with an increase in altitude. And guess what, the measurements of this effects are perfectly consistent with a spherical Earth! Imagine that!
Similarly, the existence of time zones is proof that the Earth cannot be flat.

Air planes fly in the wrong direction if the Earth is flat and every airline company in the world is intentionally wasting millions of dollars a year in fuel costs, doing there part, I suppose, in the conspiracy to convince the hoy-poloy that the Earth is round. A flight from Los Angeles to London, for example, doesn't fly in a direction that would make any sense whatsoever if the Earth were flat. (See picture below.) They do, however, fly in what are called orthodromic courses. An orthodrome is the shortest distance between two point ON A SPHERE!

View attachment 25074

And one of my very favorite arguments has to do with the center of gravity of the Earth. If the earth were flat, the closer you got to the edge of the Earth, the further away and the further behind you the center of gravity would get. It would feel like you were loosing weight and like the incline of the Earth was getting steaper and steaper the closer you got to the edge. If the Earth were flat, it would feel like we lived on the inside of a bowl and things would appear to fall sideways to a greater and greater degree as you got further from the center of the Earth. The fact the things not only fall straight down in both England and in Australia but that they do so at exactly the same rate and that a 16 pound bowling ball weighs 16 lbs in both places are all consistent with a shperical Earth and not a flat Earth.

Now if you're a flat Earther then you've got answers to all this and to whatever else anyone might bring up. Here's a great video that discusses what's really happening with this whole debate and with this specific thread....

Resting in Him,
Clete

Everything you have said is refuted by the videos, but then you will never know since you don't seem to want to watch any of them.

--Dave

Last edited:

Greg Jennings

--Dave

I don't have time to watch the video. But I have questions.

Are the other planets flat disks as well?

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That's all good. But the math involved in flight plans adjusts for curvature of the Earth.....and is obviously right or else airliner Jets would ALWAYS be early

There is no adjustment for curvature, and the fact that the time it takes to travel from LA to NY back and forth is the same means the earth is not moving.

--Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.