The earth is flat and we never went to the moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Some of what Einstein hypothesized is still hypothesis and other parts are now accepted theory. Sorry for the overstatement.

If something cannot be tested that does not make it false nor untrue. Atoms were hypothesized long before they could be tested. Did that mean that they were not a valid hypothesis at the time? Of course not, it simply meant that we did not yet posses the technology required to test it.

You misunderstand. Much of modern physics, String Theory in particular, is conceptually untestable. It isn't a lack of technology or intelligence; it is that there are large swaths of what passes for science today are fundamentally untestable and will forever be so.

It is, I believe, a consequence of having gone way too far down the road of mathematical "science". In fact, because of their fundamentally untestable nature, such theories ought not to be called science at all. A mathematician exploring the intricacies of multi-dimensional topology is not thought to be doing science and rightly so. Why then do we call it science when some mathematician (a.k.a. physicist) focuses his attention on twelve-dimensional gravity equations? It isn't science. It's math. That doesn't mean it doesn't or won't have an impact that is important. I'm not denigrating the work mathematicians do. I'm just saying that it's something other than science, especially when your mathematics based theories run into all kinds of infinities and are forced to add dimension upon dimension to get the numbers to work with no possible correlation to anything experimental (even conceptually) to suggest that doing so is warranted or has anything to do with reality. From a scientific point of view, scrapping an idea completely and starting over from scratch is just as valid (if not more so) as adding and extra nine dimensions to keep the numbers from blowing up in your face (figuratively speaking of course). But scrapping things and starting over tends to ruin people's careers and reputations. It isn't sexy and doesn't blow people's minds on the Discovery Channel or sell magazine subscriptions or keep the government grant money flowing.

Anyway. It doesn't seem like we disagree all that much here and I don't want to derail the thread. Let's discuss ideas having to do with how we know (or don't know) that the Earth is a sphere, shall we?

Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Hey Dave,

What do flat earthers say causes what we refer to as gravity? Why are things attracted to the ground? Why do things fall?

I'm certain this was brought up before but it's one horse we haven't beaten to death yet so I thought I'd bring it up again.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You need to do a little home work of your own, that's an easy thing to find out.

--Dave
Dave, I'm not asking because I'm lazy, I'm asking because I want to know if you know your own theory.

So Dave, how tall are the ice walls surrounding the earth?

Sent from my Pixel XL using TheologyOnline mobile app

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I know this will be hard for you to understand, but both the globe and flat earth have the same calendar. The size and location of the sun, moon, and stars are different.

The flat earth model is a small sun and moon moving close over the earth, which is what you actually see.

The globe model is a very much larger than earth sun very far away which makes it look like it's close and small, like the flat earth model.

--Dave

One of the biggest problems with the idea that the Sun and Moon are close is perspective. Things take up more or less of your field of view depending upon how close or far away they are. One object very close might take up a very large percentage, perhaps even all of your field of view. While the same object from further away might be undetectable. An airplane the size of three school busses can be completely obscured by your thumb while its flying over head. This is what we see but it isn't really so small that you could cover it with your thumb. It just appears that way because of perspective. (So much for going with what we see.)

But here's the real problem. If the Sun and Moon are close by, why don't they get bigger and smaller as they rise and set? If the Sun only sets because of perspective as the flat-earthers say (vanishing points and all that), why don't the Sun and Moon shrink into the distance? The apparent angular size of the Sun and Moon are precisely the same for all observers all over the planet. It makes no difference how far east or west you are. If someone in New York and someone else in Las Angeles observes the Moon at the same moment, the Moon is exact the same size in the sky for both. Not only that but both see precisely the same face of the Moon as well, which is another thing that you wouldn't expect of a nearby spherical body. And if you say it isn't a sphere then you add the additional problem that the Sun and Moon are always circular to every observer everywhere and never ever appear as ovals as you'd expect if they were discs being observed from differing angles.

Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Dave,

I don't mean to bombard you with stuff here but the mention of the ice-wall got me to wondering about something. Up until you posted that picture I was imagining the ice-wall to be an immensely large impenetrable barrier with a totally mysterious no man's land beyond it.

Is that what the flat-earth model states or is it just a big wall that's maybe ten or twelve stories high as in the picture you posted? If the later, do flat-earthers expect that people have ventured beyond the wall but are just keeping what they've found there (if anything) a secret?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Dave,

I don't mean to bombard you with stuff here but the mention of the ice-wall got me to wondering about something. Up until you posted that picture I was imagining the ice-wall to be an immensely large impenetrable barrier with a totally mysterious no man's land beyond it.

Is that what the flat-earth model states or is it just a big wall that's maybe ten or twelve stories high as in the picture you posted? If the later, do flat-earthers expect that people have ventured beyond the wall but are just keeping what they've found there (if anything) a secret?

Good point. I also want to add that if Dave here believes in the flat earth and the Bible, then he also has to explain how the Flood waters were about 6 meters above the tallest mountain before they started to recede, yet didn't overflow over what appears to be a wall only a few hundred feet tall, let alone the required thousands of feet of height to cover the tallest mountain.

Even Mount Moriah is about 2520 feet. Just to cover that mountain, the water on the earth would have overflowed over the ice wall long before it even reached the halfway point of Mount Moriah.

Eagles Wings

Good point. I also want to add that if Dave here believes in the flat earth and the Bible, then he also has to explain how the Flood waters were about 6 meters above the tallest mountain before they started to recede, yet didn't overflow over what appears to be a wall only a few hundred feet tall, let alone the required thousands of feet of height to cover the tallest mountain.

Cool.

How do you know all this, JR?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Even Mount Moriah is about 2520 feet. Just to cover that mountain, the water on the earth would have overflowed over the ice wall long before it even reached the halfway point of Mount Moriah.

I have seen this question asked, well the gist of it anyway, on other sites. The only plausible (and I use that word trepidatiously) answer I've seen is that the flood waters were held in by the crystalline dome fermament, the termination of which is somewhere beyond the ice-wall.

This is nuts! If you had told me six months ago that I'd be able to answer that question, I'd have thought you were crazy.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I have seen this question asked, well the gist of it anyway, on other sites. The only plausible (and I use that word trepidatiously) answer I've seen is that the flood waters were held in by the crystalline dome fermament, the termination of which is somewhere beyond the ice-wall.

This is nuts! If you had told me six months ago that I'd be able to answer that question, I'd have thought you were crazy.
The problem with that answer is, how do we know where the dome perimeter meets the ice wall.

If we knew that, then we could calculate roughly just how much water would be needed for such an event. The problem then becomes, where did all that water come from, and where did it all go, and what does the Bible say about it. Does the theory match up with what the Bible says.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
The question is not why do apples fall.:maxi:

The question is do apples fall to the ground on earth for the same reason planets orbit the sun in outer space.

--Dave
To answer your question you must first answer mine: why does the apple fall to the ground. Again, I am trying to understand your flat earth model. A basic question is why do Apple fall and why do people stay on the ground.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Also JR,

There is no need to suppose that the mountains we see today were even there when the Flood happened. The same event that caused the Flood could also have created the mountains thus removing the need for 30,000 ft deep waters.

The Hydroplate Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.