The earth is flat and we never went to the moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Its not a concept, it is a theory (please, take the time to look up the definition of a scientific theory before spouting the typical nonsense that it is just a theory) We have observed it and tested it. We have tested Einstein's predictions and found them to be true. We have seen that in zero-g environments liquids form perfect spheres. Keep in mind that particles, even very large "particles" such as asteroids, act is a liquid in the vast reaches of space so they form spheres when they begin to compress.

I do not want to debate physics with you but I just wanted to point out that what you've said here is an over statement.
There are things which Einstein's theories predict that have been observed and there are aspects of his theory that have proven very useful and on that basis, it can be said that there is truth in his theories. But to suggest or insinuate that Einstien's theories are now accepted fact is way past too far. There is much of what Einstein's theories predict that are untestable and even openly contradictory, as is the case with a whole lot of modern theoretical physics. That which cannot be tested is not science.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
At its simplest, Newtonian gravity is based on what Newton could observe. Einstein gravity is based on the broader principals that Newton had no way of grasping when he was doing his work. Each has its specific applications.

Yes, any two particles of matter mutually attract. But when we consider a large amount of matter — all the matter in a given chunk of the whole Universe — it’s not all going to collapse into a black hole, any more than all the air in a room will spontaneously collect in one corner. Think of it this way: any particle in the midst of a diffuse cloud of particles will be pulled in all directions at once, so the gravitational force will tend to average out to zero. (Now if the particles are more compressed for some reason, that’s another story! Mutual gravitation can bind them into clouds, galaxies, stars, or even black holes.) {source}

If we could just find that pesky little magnetic mono-pole, we could.

Of a sort, yes. But science has discovered everything yet.

Its not a concept, it is a theory (please, take the time to look up the definition of a scientific theory before spouting the typical nonsense that it is just a theory) We have observed it and tested it. We have tested Einstein's predictions and found them to be true. We have seen that in zero-g environments liquids form perfect spheres. Keep in mind that particles, even very large "particles" such as asteroids, act is a liquid in the vast reaches of space so they form spheres when they begin to compress.

I changed my mind, I will comment on this. Newton did not discover anything, a falling apple is not an experiment and imagining that what makes a apple on earth fall to the ground does not prove there are planets orbiting the sun for the same reason the apple fell--gravity.

Gravity is an idea, a way to make sense out of something that other wise makes no sense.

Einstein's imagined fabric of spacetime has replaced Newton's imagined gravitational force theory. And now you're imagining how particles create everything in the universe as if it was gospel.

--Dave

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I changed my mind, I will comment on this. Newton did not discover anything, a falling apple is not an experiment and imagining that what makes a apple on earth fall to the ground does not prove there are planets orbiting the sun for the same reason the apple fell--gravity.

Gravity is an idea, a way to make sense out of something that other wise makes no sense.

Einstein's imagined fabric of spacetime has replaced Newton's imagined gravitational force theory. And now you're imagining how particles create everything in the universe as if it was gospel.

--Dave

Do tell Dave, why did the apple fall to the ground?

That is where Newton started, or so the legend goes. He saw an apple fall from a tree to the ground and wondered why. Why does the apple fall Dave?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I do not want to debate physics with you but I just wanted to point out that what you've said here is an over statement.
There are things which Einstein's theories predict that have been observed and there are aspects of his theory that have proven very useful and on that basis, it can be said that there is truth in his theories. But to suggest or insinuate that Einstien's theories are now accepted fact is way past too far. There is much of what Einstein's theories predict that are untestable and even openly contradictory, as is the case with a whole lot of modern theoretical physics. That which cannot be tested is not science.
Some of what Einstein hypothesized is still hypothesis and other parts are now accepted theory. Sorry for the overstatement.

If something cannot be tested that does not make it false nor untrue. Atoms were hypothesized long before they could be tested. Did that mean that they were not a valid hypothesis at the time? Of course not, it simply meant that we did not yet posses the technology required to test it.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have the same motive as most people who look at that same data do: to better ascertain the facts regarding our universe. The data definitively states that the earth is a spherical object, like every other heavenly body in existence.

But is not the earth "unlike" everything else we see out there?

The earth has water/oceans, life/biology, atmosphere/oxygen.

If nothing else in the known universe has what we have then why does the earth have to be like those waterless, lifeless, non-atmospheric spinning balls of light?

I would think that we have oceans, life, and atmosphere and they don't is because they are spinning balls and we are not.

Observed spinning balls in space = no oceans, no life, no atmosphere

Earth has oceans, life, and atmosphere = not a spinning ball = flat and stationary

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Do tell Dave, why did the apple fall to the ground?

That is where Newton started, or so the legend goes. He saw an apple fall from a tree to the ground and wondered why. Why does the apple fall Dave?

The question is not why do apples fall.:maxi:

The question is do apples fall to the ground on earth for the same reason planets orbit the sun in outer space.

--Dave

Caino

BANNED
Banned
I totally understand the sentiment and would normally agree but you've gotta read the thread. He's just making the arguments (for now).

Trust me. I've had plenty enough history with David to know that he's no idiot.

I saw it the first day it was posted, I had no idea there were still flat earthers around. And one can be smart and extraordinarily gullible. Look at how many people belive Noah's flood story. Perfectly rational people, neurosurgeons, rocket scientist etc.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I saw it the first day it was posted, I had no idea there were still flat earthers around. And one can be smart and extraordinarily gullible. Look at how many people belive Noah's flood story. Perfectly rational people, neurosurgeons, rocket scientist etc.

Why are you still here???

If you hang around us for to long you'll become one of us.

:dog: Run before it's to late.

--Dave :darwinsm:

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
There is no sunset there.

I know this will be hard for you to understand, but both the globe and flat earth have the same calendar. The size and location of the sun, moon, and stars are different.

The flat earth model is a small sun and moon moving close over the earth, which is what you actually see.

The globe model is a very much larger than earth sun very far away which makes it look like it's close and small, like the flat earth model.

--Dave

Right Divider

Body part
I know this will be hard for you to understand, but both the globe and flat earth have the same calendar. The size and location of the sun, moon, and stars are different.

The flat earth model is a small sun and moon moving close over the earth, which is what you actually see.

The globe model is a very much larger than earth sun very far away which makes it look like it's close and small, like the flat earth model.

--Dave
:kookoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.