the bible = the tree of the knowledge of good and evil <> Jesus = the tree of life

Duder

Over 750 post club
Intentionally getting intoxicated by whatever means for a nonmedical reason is not only a sin but a crime.

Ah, the holy stormtrooper has weighed in! Is recreational drug use a sin?

There was an old farmer who drank some of the family vintage and passed out naked in his quarters. The old man's son thought this was a sin and a crime, and he reported it to his brothers.

Who was the sinner - the old farmer or the son who reported him?

See Genesis 9:20-27.

billwald

Jesus didn't manufacture alcohol at Cana to cure an infection.

Second, there are two kinds of pain: physical and psychological.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Duder
Is recreational drug use a sin?
Getting high is a sin, yes.

There was an old farmer who drank some of the family vintage and passed out naked in his quarters. The old man's son thought this was a sin and a crime, and he reported it to his brothers.

In this case both!
Noah for having gotten drunk and Canaan for having slept with his mother or at minimum lusted after her.

And by the way, thanks for spreading the message about how filthy homos are, every where you go! If I had a t-shirt that said what your signature says, I would wear to the mall or something! Keep up the good work! :thumb:

Resting in Him,
Clete

Crow

Originally posted by billwald

Jesus didn't manufacture alcohol at Cana to cure an infection.

Second, there are two kinds of pain: physical and psychological.

As nearly as I know, Jesus made wine to drink at a wedding. Nothing wrong with drinking wine---being a drunk, on the other hand, isn't looked upon highly in the Scriptures.

2 kinds of pain. Self-medication with illegal drugs for either purpose is immoral and criminal.

LightSon

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer
Drinking or smoking, or shooting a chemical into your vain are all things that can be done without sin. But if you get drunk or high for a non-medically related reason then you have sinned (period).
This is the traditional Christian position. It also happens to resonate with my conscience, so cannot argue against it.

Originally posted by Lovejoy

I tend toward believing that we are slave to anything that masters us. I believe being slave to anything of this world means some part of you is not in Christ. If this is not sin, it is at the least not profitable. I know that the few times I have been buzzed since being a Christian, I have not been in Christ. Recreational drug or alcohol use in not a useful Christian liberty, and it would take a mighty Christian conscience to handle it well.
Thanks for your balanced words. Some may challenge me for even asking such questions.

You said that, "Recreational drug or alcohol use in not a useful Christian liberty...." This implies that such activities fall within the realm of "liberty."

There are many things I do which are "not useful." I watch too much TV. I play with my dog. I spend too much time on TOL. I eat cheesecake. I could loose all those not-too-useful liberties and be all the farther ahead.

As a recovering addict on many fronts, there are times when I feel "tempted". It may be late at night - the family is fast asleep and I think to myself, "man, a joint would be really mellow right about now."

Are these the musings of a tortured person? I think so. My interest (statement) is "an undivided heart." I've been buzzed, and it invariably piques my conscience - it does make me feel like a traitor to Christ. But I hear Christians talking about beer drinking etc. and find myself being envious. How is it they have "liberty" to catch their beer buzz? Why shouldn't I have a similar liberty?

So I wonder sometimes. My wonderings will get me into trouble, because there are more insidious things to be enslaved to than beer or pot. They are gateway drugs, especially for those who have been through the gate before.

This is my way of confessing that the strait and narrow can be a difficult path to walk. I sometimes feel a pull off the road. I have ran off the road before and it isn't pretty.

Any words of wisdom or chastisement will be accepted. Do any other Christians have these kinds of temptations?

Duder

Over 750 post club
Originally posted by Duder:

Is recreational drug use a sin?
Originally posted by Clete:

Getting high is a sin, yes.
Originally posted by Duder:

Origonally posted by Clete:

In this case both!
Noah for having gotten drunk and Canaan for having slept with his mother or at minimum lusted after her.

I find no reference, neither explicit nor implied, to Ham's mother in this incident. Ham saw Noah passed out drunk, and then went to his brothers to point out Noah's "depravity" to them. He felt that there was something perverted about Noah's condition, and he loudly condemned it, presumably with much finger-pointing, mocking, and personal enjoyment of the whole situation. I am remided of a poster who said "I will point my finger and laugh in your face as God throws your filthy perverted soull into hell."

In contrast to Ham's infantile behavior, his brothers went and covered Noah with respect.

There is no indication in the story that Noah sinned. Ham the finger-pointer, however, was roundly condemned.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Duder

I find no reference, neither explicit nor implied, to Ham's mother in this incident. Ham saw Noah passed out drunk, and then went to his brothers to point out Noah's "depravity" to them. He felt that there was something perverted about Noah's condition, and he loudly condemned it, presumably with much finger-pointing, mocking, and personal enjoyment of the whole situation. I am remided of a poster who said "I will point my finger and laugh in your face as God throws your filthy perverted soull into hell."

In contrast to Ham's infantile behavior, his brothers went and covered Noah with respect.

There is no indication in the story that Noah sinned. Ham the finger-pointer, however, was roundly condemned.

Lev 20:11 And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood [shall be] upon them.

Duder

Over 750 post club
I was referring to the incident discussed in Genesis chapter 9, not to a moral statement found in Leviticus which has nothing at all to do with drug use.

Last edited: