The bible is man-made.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
That it is!!! A good chunk of the Old Testament was (supposedly) written in the bronze age, but you are correct, the New testament was written in the iron age. Whoops! (Disregarding the fact we have the same ancestors) Of course mine couldn't produce something better, up until a few hundred years ago the religious would murder anyone whose ideas differed from theirs!

not sure why you're so fixated on the age of the writings - I doubt anybody would argue against the value of homer, plato, aristotle, socrates

Atheist19

not sure why you're so fixated on the age of the writings - I doubt anybody would argue against the value of homer, plato, aristotle, socrates

I'm not. That's why I posted this just after that: "I'm not too concerned with the timing, you may be right. The point I was making was that they lived in a time of ignorance, and couldn't logically explain the world around them, so they turned to religion."

jsanford108

Hello friend. Thanks for letting me know of this thread. I feel it will be a little more productive here, since you are the OP.

First off, I know that many Christians will approach your arguments with the phrase, "you are taking it out of context," and for the most part, I agree with that statement. We can pour over your examples, with me pointing out the context of the passage vs the "twisting" of the verses (I do not think that your intention is malicious or twisting, only that the information and "facts" you have been given are). In my opinion, this would be counterproductive since a reasonable person such as yourself would see me as arguing from the Bible, when it is the very source we are debating.

So rather than that, let us discuss the notion and idea of a God. I will let you lead this discussion where you want it to go, and where you feel it would be most productive.

To give a brief summation of my views:
1.) the Bible (when disused with anti-theists) should be viewed as a history book first and a religious book second.
2.) I have work and study in the field of Biology. So many young earth theorists and the like do not like me, because I ascribe to the notion that any theory should be supported by evidence, and if evidence disproves a theory, that theory should be discarded (I have had too many young earth theory debates as is. They select certain verses of Scripture and take it strictly literal, but deny the same weight of others. A little hypocritical if you ask me)
3.) I was a baptist. Reading and studying the Bible made me Catholic.
4.) I am well versed in theology and philosophy. Biology, chemistry, and physics. I am limited on subjects outside of those fields, just due to my specialization. The study of history, philosophy, and theology were all done briefly in undergrad, but expanded in my own free time.

As I said, lead us to your desired questions and points.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
The point I was making was that they lived in a time of ignorance, and couldn't logically explain the world around them, so they turned to religion."

homer, plato, aristotle, socrates lived in the same sort of times

most men do

many still do

and the Bible is about so much more than religion, which is why it has endured

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
I believe the bible is man-made, to me it quite obviously is. The superstitious tales about the existence of giants (Deuteronomy 3:11), witches and necromancers that could reanimate the dead (Deuteronomy 18:9–12, Leviticus 20:27, 1 Samuel 28, etc.), and nephilims - the product of a divine being and a human woman (Genesis 6:1-4) all point to the bible being written by fear ridden, ignorant men in the bronze age. The fables in the bible are ones only the superstitious COULD believe; from Elisha being taken to heaven on a "chariot of fire" with "horses of fire" in a "whirlwind" (2 Kings 2:11), to Joshua stopping the moon and sun (Joshua 10:14) (this clearly shows the ignorance of the time; why not just stop the Earth from rotating?), these stories are clearly fictional.
Then, of course, is the way that the bible treats women; do you genuinely think a god would create men and women equal but then write in the bible that women are the property of men (Genesis 3:16, Exodus 20:17, Exodus 21:7, Deuteronomy 22:28-29, etc.)? The way the bible depicts women is truly appalling, and it has warranted men to rule over women for centuries. Likewise, the bible also condones slavery (Leviticus 25:44-46, Exodus 21:2-6, Exodus 21:7-11, Exodus 21:20-21, Ephesians 6:5, etc.) which is just as detestable.
To add to all this, there are many, many, many contradictions throughout the book. Though there are too many to really put in this short post, but I will provide a few. First, does god tempt people? According to James 1:13, he does not. However, everybody knows the story of when god tempted Abraham in Genesis 22:1. Next is the radical differences with the genealogy of Jesus displayed on both Matthew 1:16 and Luke 3:23. I shall end with the number of people who saw Jesus’s resurrection. It was 1 woman, according to John 20:1. 2 women, says Mathew 28:1. 3 women says Mark 16:1. Luke 24:10 doesn’t give an actual number, but it says at least 5 women were there. Like I said, there are countless others, but I don’t want to write a novel.
Finally, there’s the problem with the story itself. All powerful, all knowing god created everything, and after years of god slaughtering hundreds of thousands of people (1 Chronicles 21, Deuteronomy 3, Joshua 6, 2 Kings 10:18-27, etc.) because of the sin HE created (Isaiah 45:7), he decides the only way to forgive himself (Genesis 1:27) was to sacrifice himself (John 10:30-33) to himself. As Thomas Paine put it, “it is impossible to conceive a story more derogatory to the Almighty, more inconsistent with his wisdom, and more contradictory to his power, than this story is.”
(Please refrain from responding with anything along the lines of “You’re a heathen and are going to burn in hell” or “God is going to enjoy burning you!”. I wrote this to have a semi-intelligent discussion rather, than having hate being spewed at me)

Friend,

I could blow your socks off if we were not infighting. There are things that testify of God that are in the news and before our very eyes. I would enjoy getting your opinion on the matter, because you read it as a book and discern literal character and plot development from it.... verses dogmatic bias.

Answer me back if you want to jump down a little rabbit hole for a bit.

- Evil.Eye.<(I)>

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Translation of this "thread:" I, the obviously "god"like atheist, do not understand the bible....What I do not understand, I will not believe. Thus, the bible is wrong, not me. It is called humanism, as what I understand/believe, determines veracity. Thus, there is no hell....................................................Enjoy the "All Smokers Welcome" destination, of "hell," which obviously does not exist.

Well said. Truth smack at its finest.

john w

Hall of Fame
I believe the bible is man-made, to me it quite obviously is. The superstitious tales about the existence of giants (Deuteronomy 3:11), witches and necromancers that could reanimate the dead (Deuteronomy 18:9–12, Leviticus 20:27, 1 Samuel 28, etc.), and nephilims - the product of a divine being and a human woman (Genesis 6:1-4) all point to the bible being written by fear ridden, ignorant men in the bronze age..

I believe atheism is man made, to me it quite obviously is. The laughable tales about the existence of an earth, sun, thousands of stars..............that could be the product of "chance," by accident, all point to the the rantings of atheists driven by anti-thinking, disbelief, mysticism, fear of authority, ignorant men in the "I am a god" age.

So there.

Fun!

john w

Hall of Fame
Ok... you seem to not have understood what I was saying. I'll say it another way then. If my questions have already been answered before, it shouldn't be too difficult for you to answer them. So go on. Unless you just replied to my post to show me that you can't answer them?

Wow! How long did it take you to Google that "You won't answer my questions...Wa..Wa...Wa...!!!!"? Weighty. I understand exactly what you are saying-heard it before-you act like all us Acts 4:13 KJV hillbilly, country bumpkins members of the body of Christ are just stunned by this thread, being bewildered. Teach us. Please? Save it...

Chapter, verse, where I am required to answer any/all questions, especially trap questions, from dishonest seekers, such as yourself.

Atheist19

Hello friend. Thanks for letting me know of this thread. I feel it will be a little more productive here, since you are the OP.

First off, I know that many Christians will approach your arguments with the phrase, "you are taking it out of context," and for the most part, I agree with that statement. We can pour over your examples, with me pointing out the context of the passage vs the "twisting" of the verses (I do not think that your intention is malicious or twisting, only that the information and "facts" you have been given are). In my opinion, this would be counterproductive since a reasonable person such as yourself would see me as arguing from the Bible, when it is the very source we are debating.

So rather than that, let us discuss the notion and idea of a God. I will let you lead this discussion where you want it to go, and where you feel it would be most productive.

To give a brief summation of my views:
1.) the Bible (when disused with anti-theists) should be viewed as a history book first and a religious book second.
2.) I have work and study in the field of Biology. So many young earth theorists and the like do not like me, because I ascribe to the notion that any theory should be supported by evidence, and if evidence disproves a theory, that theory should be discarded (I have had too many young earth theory debates as is. They select certain verses of Scripture and take it strictly literal, but deny the same weight of others. A little hypocritical if you ask me)
3.) I was a baptist. Reading and studying the Bible made me Catholic.
4.) I am well versed in theology and philosophy. Biology, chemistry, and physics. I am limited on subjects outside of those fields, just due to my specialization. The study of history, philosophy, and theology were all done briefly in undergrad, but expanded in my own free time.

As I said, lead us to your desired questions and points.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

I'm extremely new here, so I'm not sure what "OP" is. Also, nothing I say is meant to be read as "malicious", I am sorry if it seems that way, I truly do not mean it to be.

I believe that there could be a god, but as of now I haven't seen enough evidence to convince me that there is one. I am fairly confident that if there is a god, that it almost certainly isn't the god of the bible. There are too many errors, contradictions, and fables for me to believe that. Let me ask you, do you believe the literal word of the bible? If not, how exactly do you view the bible?

Ask Mr. Religion

&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Enduring Uniqueness of Scripture

Enduring Uniqueness of Scripture

homer, plato, aristotle, socrates lived in the same sort of times

most men do
many still do

and the Bible is about so much more than religion, which is why it has endured
Endured is an understatement when compared to the works of Homer, et al.

No book, comprising 66 “mini-books”, written over a period of 1500 years by 40 vastly different authors, possessing an outstanding literary internal consistency and coherency, could be written by man alone.
An astonishing 668 prophecies have been fulfilled and none have ever been proven false.

Add to that the survival of the book’s ancient manuscripts, numbering in the tens of thousands over thousands of years, and yet these manuscripts remain over 98% textually pure. How this possible, when compared to all the other ancient writings are so few in number?

For instance, the Dead Sea Scrolls contain all books of the Old Testament, except Esther, and have been dated to before the time of Christ. The earliest copy of Homer's Iliad dates to 500 BC, some 500 years after it was written. Only 643 copies of Illiad exist. Now consider Julius Caesar’s Gallic Wars. Only 10 copies, written about 1,000 years after the event are in existence. In comparison, there are over 24,000+ New Testament manuscripts, the earliest one dating to within 24 years after Christ. How can we objectively and rationally explain this book, the Bible, especially in light of the claims made above?

AMR

Atheist19

Wow! How long did it take you to Google that "You won't answer my questions...Wa..Wa...Wa...!!!!"? Weighty. I understand exactly what you are saying-heard it before-you act like all us Acts 4:13 KJV hillbilly, country bumpkins members of the body of Christ are just stunned by this thread, being bewildered. Teach us. Please? Save it...

Chapter, verse, where I am required to answer any/all questions, especially trap questions, from dishonest seekers, such as yourself.

I appreciate the time you've taken to waste mine, but if you aren't going to say anything worth while I'm simply going to stop responding to you.

Atheist19

Friend,

I could blow your socks off if we were not infighting. There are things that testify of God that are in the news and before our very eyes. I would enjoy getting your opinion on the matter, because you read it as a book and discern literal character and plot development from it.... verses dogmatic bias.

Answer me back if you want to jump down a little rabbit hole for a bit.

- Evil.Eye.<(I)>

I'd love to discuss this with you!

john w

Hall of Fame
I appreciate the time you've taken to waste mine, but if you aren't going to say anything worth while I'm simply going to stop responding to you.

Translated: I, the atheist, whose main problem is heart related, not a brain problem, and a problem of resistance to authority, will waste my time, spending countless hours of my life, attempting to "prove" that something does not exist.

It is called logging in, and losing your mind....

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
I'd love to discuss this with you!

I gather you are an informed individual who has read through scripture and possibly even had it crammed down your throat at one point in your life... correct me if I'm wrong.

My point is... may I cite plot and characters that span the expansive history of the book that was started with Moses? All from a literary perspective... void of car salesman hockey?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
You forgot about god condoning slavery

God tolerated slavery because that is how the world worked. It is the only reason civilization even exists, because people were otherwise just killing each other.

The fact is that you atheists have no insight on anything. You simply hate Christianity because it tells you what you do is wrong, so you go and pick up a Bible and try to find fault in it.

and the ridiculous stories only man could create

"I wasn't around to see it so therefore it didn't happen"

Pretty much :rolleyes:
You believe a woman can be born in a man's body, and then snarl at the idea of the Creator being able to do things you cannot.

Atheist19

Endured is an understatement when compared to the works of Homer, et al.

No book, comprising 66 “mini-books”, written over a period of 1500 years by 40 vastly different authors, possessing an outstanding literary internal consistency and coherency, could be written by man alone.
An astonishing 668 prophecies have been fulfilled and none have ever been proven false.

"Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel." - that's one of many failed prophecies of the bible. If you want more you can look up "failed prophecies of the bible" and you will find hundreds.

Atheist19

I gather you are an informed individual who has read through scripture and possibly even had it crammed down your throat at one point in your life... correct me if I'm wrong.

My point is... may I cite plot and characters that span the expansive history of the book that was started with Moses? All from a literary perspective... void of car salesman hockey?

I do read through scripture quite often. I wouldn't say it was really crammed down my throat, I accepted it at first, but as I grew, it seemed less and less realistic.
And cite whatever you like!

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
You forgot about god condoning slavery, and the ridiculous stories only man could create. But you go most of it!

Exodus 21:16 "He who kidnaps a man, whether he sells him or he is found in his possession, shall surely be put to death.

1 Timothy 1:10
for the sexually immoral, for homosexuals, for slave traders and liars and perjurers, and for anyone else who is averse to sound teaching

Don't believe websites filled with lies. Actually read the bible yourself. God doesnt condone the type of slavery you mention in fact speaks against it, the only 'slavery' condoned by God was the indentured servitude type. Where a person sells themselves (labor) to pay debts and then there were specific guidelines and time periods.

The hebrews were placed into bondage as slaves themselves for not following Gods ideal.

Seek God at the source, nothing else that anyone else says will matter.